PDA

View Full Version : Virginia section recommendations

rwd111
01-20-2016, 15:21
I will be traveling through Virginia in June/July this summer and will appreciate any recommendations for a 20-30 mile section. I'm flexible and have no preference regarding any particular regions of Virginia. Initially, I had considered a section through Shenandoah National Park but now have that this isn't considered a good "wilderness trail" because of frequent crossings of Skyline Drive. Thanks for your thoughts.

Lone Wolf
01-20-2016, 15:23
Grayson Highlands state park. park at Massie gap and hike south to Damascus. 30 miles

Gambit McCrae
01-20-2016, 15:30
Lonewolf has a good suggestion. as well is the mcafee knob area

chknfngrs
01-20-2016, 16:31
So you do have a preference ;)

chknfngrs
01-20-2016, 16:32
Rockfish Gap to Tye River includes scenic thrills

Tuckahoe
01-20-2016, 17:22
Grayson Highlands state park. park at Massie gap and hike south to Damascus. 30 miles

This one right here. Start at Massie Gap and head south. Usually start in the late afternoon and hike to the area of Thomas Knob and camp. Second day, hike up to Whitetop and camp along there. Third day, hike beyond Lost Mt Shelter and pick up the Virginia Creeper Trail, camping near or along the Creeper. Once I hit the Creeper, I forget about the AT and take the Creeper on into Damascus -- I find the hike through the Whitetop Laurel Creek gorge very beautiful and relaxing.

Pajj
01-20-2016, 17:57
Grayson highlands forsure. Second option could be daleville to woods hole hostel

Slo-go'en
01-20-2016, 18:16
Rockfish Gap to Tye River includes scenic thrills

That's a very nice, but very strenuous section. Some serious climbs with the Priest and Three Ridges.

Daleville south is also nice with Tinker cliffs, McAfree Knob and Dragons tooth and is a moderately strenuous hike.

Grayson Highlands is good too, but it can be a very busy place, avoid weekends.

rwd111
01-20-2016, 18:19
Probably south and/or central is better than north. I have enough flexibility to drive farther north if I need to though. I'd looking for three days/two night section. 10-12 miles daily would be fine. Really just looking for a scenic section (which does nothing to narrow the possibilities)..

Slo-go'en
01-20-2016, 18:42
Probably south and/or central is better than north. I have enough flexibility to drive farther north if I need to though. I'd looking for three days/two night section. 10-12 miles daily would be fine. Really just looking for a scenic section (which does nothing to narrow the possibilities)..

You want to avoid the long, boring ridge walks which is everything north of Partnership shelter up to well past Pearisburg and the SNP. Grayson Highlands is your best bet, but it is a popular area.

Skyline
01-23-2016, 00:44
This one right here. Start at Massie Gap and head south. Usually start in the late afternoon and hike to the area of Thomas Knob and camp. Second day, hike up to Whitetop and camp along there. Third day, hike beyond Lost Mt Shelter and pick up the Virginia Creeper Trail, camping near or along the Creeper. Once I hit the Creeper, I forget about the AT and take the Creeper on into Damascus -- I find the hike through the Whitetop Laurel Creek gorge very beautiful and relaxing.

One more vote for this, and Tuckahoe has it exactly right. Start at Massie Gap, finish via the Creeper. Your time in the High Country (Massie through Whitetop) will possibly be a bit cooler temp-wise which can be a good thing in Summer. Be aware, though, that bad weather can be more severe up there even in Summer so plan gear and clothing for the possibility.

This is one of the best parts of the entire AT.

saltysack
01-25-2016, 23:09
40 miles from Va603 sobo to Damascus....my favorite section to date on the southern AT... Perfect 2-3 day hike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

macdaddy
01-25-2016, 23:28
US50 at Ashby Gap to WV9 Keys Gap, 27.7 miles or to ATC side trail in Harpers Ferry, WV, 33.3 miles. Includes the "Roller Coaster", the infamous Bears Den Hostel, and the Blackburn Trail Center.

misterfloyd
01-26-2016, 12:39
+1 for the grayson highlands to damascus idea.

I agree that north of Partnership is not much

Will revisit the highlands soon.

sorry for the late answer.

Cuacoatchoo
01-29-2016, 16:32
The 3 best Va sections have all been mentioned here.

Some selling points for you.

Grayson highlands -The creeper trail goes across ~30(?) old railroad bridges that are kinda cool. But be prepared the trail is open to tourist on bikes (there's a company that buses them to the top of the mountain to ride down). Grayson highlands has Wild ponies though... wild ponies!

Shenandoah- Some cool waterfalls. Almost every mountain has a nice knob/overlook. You're definitely never more than a mile skyline drive but bonus points there's 3 waystations that offer fried chicken tenders and fries for dinner. Definitely slackpacking but yum.

3 ridges/priest - somewhat nearby there is a hidden gem near the highway. The Croset tunnel is an abandoned mile long railway tunnel. It is definitely ILLEGAL to hike on private and property and NOT at all cool and badass to hike down. The walls have hypothetically been painted by high school kids over the years. minor ceiling collapses are hypothetically evident at a couple points, highlighting the danger. You should definitely NOT go here. : )

Cookerhiker
01-29-2016, 22:19
Another vote for Grayson Highlands.