PDA

View Full Version : I need experienced advice

gonegonzo
01-21-2016, 09:25
Hello hikers/backpackers ,

I'm Tom aka/Gonzo . I'm from eastern Ohio and retired 3 years ago form the construction field (carpenter) .I'm 66 years old now and in (overweight) condition . I always dreamed of retiring and doing what I loved so much : Backpacking - Canoeing - Hiking . As fate has it I had to retire because of a handicap . I have neuropathy in my feet . It's like walking on stones barefooted . I've learned to live with the pain to a degree . I can hike at my own pace (slow) and find the solitude outweighs the pain . OK , Cutting to the chase here >>> My dream was to hike the AT when I retired . That dream still lives but I have resorted to the fact that I will not be able to Thru Hike the trail . However , giving up this dream is hard to imagine . It keeps me going at times . My thoughts are to now try section hiking it , again at my own pace . Chances are that I probably never will finish the trail but I still want to give it a try and do as much of it as I can .

Are there any hikers here that fall into the same category that I am in ?

Are there any hikers here that would discourage me from trying this ? As much as I want to do this I don't want to get into a situation where I am stuck on the trail . Right now I think I would max out at 8-10 miles a day .

My thoughts are to go for 3 weeks at a time and at this point I would be doing it solo . I understand that there are groups form at shelters nightly and I keep this in mind as if I would need help . Am I leaning on my fellow hikers too much keeping this in mind ?

So , hikers , be honest with me about keeping my retirement dream alive .

Regards ,
Tom

2NewKnees
01-21-2016, 09:31
If your doctors say it is ok to hike, do it. If it is something you enjoy and can do sections at a time at your own pace why not? Most people can't take the time to do a thru hike. Nothing wrong with section hiking, it's all about enjoying life the best way possible.

chknfngrs
01-21-2016, 09:32
Do, or do not. There is no try. I believe in you, and think if you ask these questions now you can prepare for a successful hike. Be it section or thru, a day or three weeks only. Figure out how to carry less on your back and you carry less on your walk. plenty of people here will jump at the chance to help you.

PAFranklin
01-21-2016, 09:40
First, as noted above, if your doctors give you the ok then I'd certainly give it a try. You might want to try some of the sections that are closer to support if you did need to cut things short and get some help. Maybe give one of them a try before venturing out into other sections. If you hike a section in a more popular time you shouldn't have any issues getting assistance from fellow hikers. Good luck and keep us informed on your progress.

MuddyWaters
01-21-2016, 09:45
Im all for you getting out there, but do not plan on anyone else to help you or rescue you. It would occur, but taking risks because you know this is irresponsible. Do only what you know you can. If thats 3 miles per day, thats ok. Hiking is the destination.

Some thru hikers end up with bruised feet, similar to what you describe. Painful and takes months for feet to heal.

LoneStranger
01-21-2016, 10:04
I'd suggest spending some time hiking locally first and seeing how things progress. With doctor's approval I'd say start with day hikes, then try a few nights on a loop with bailout options. Better to find out your limitations closer to home before investing in traveling IMO. Others on the trail can give you some moral support, but you'll have to deal with the physical realities yourself.

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2016, 10:14
Most people without your medical issues would max out at 8 - 10 miles per day. Heck, a lot of them wouldn't last that long on the AT. I agree with others, start locally with shorter overnight hikes. Even just do a few miles into a campsite and take time to set up camp and cook a nice dinner, enjoy a campfire, etc. Hiking on trails with elevation changes on an unimproved, ungraded footpath is far slower than walking in civilization. Progress to some of the easier terrain on the AT in the mid-Atlantic and Shenandoah Nat. Park. See how it goes.

chknfngrs
01-21-2016, 10:15
Great advice muddy and lone

squeezebox
01-21-2016, 10:34
Great advice muddy and lone

chknfngrs; Sorry to be the to let you know but!! Chickens don't have fingers.

squeezebox
01-21-2016, 10:48
Gonzo; I feel your pain! literally. I'm 62, 50 lbs. overweight,out of shape, really want to hike. About 10 years ago a stab wound 1/2 way up my left calf severed the nerve to the bottom of my foot. Subsequent neuropathy. If I so much as step on a pencil barefoot that foot will give out on me. I've found that a stiff soled shoe is best for me, currently I have Lowa renegades. I spent a week on the trail with blisters as my only foot issue. A torn rotator cuff knocked me out. So I'll add the stiff soles to what the others have said.
Be well!!

squeezebox
01-21-2016, 10:49
What do you think about custom orthodics??

colorado_rob
01-21-2016, 11:01
From one Ohioan to another, being honest, I think you're #1 goal should be to lose some weight, which has to aggravate you foot problems.

As far as your foot problems, I know of two hiking pals who have this same condition, and they get by. I believe they use orthotics, not the cheap ones you buy at REI or Walgreens, but medical ones, fitted by a foot doc. Not cheap. I use orthotics for my own condition, metatarsalgia, and they work wonders. Cost me $400 for the first pair (other pairs, $100). So worth it. without them I wouldn't be hiking. With them, I hike probably at least a thousand miles a year, some years more (like my AT years).

So: check on orthotics, lose some weight, and as has been said, get out there and do some overnighters. Only one of these is tough (the losing weight thing).

Pedaling Fool
01-21-2016, 11:15
I think a big factor in giving advice in this situation would be knowing what led to your condition of neuropathy in the feet. As I understand it, a major cause is diabetes.

chknfngrs
01-21-2016, 12:06
Squeeze, chickens don't clap either

Dogwood
01-21-2016, 13:32
I can tell you this. Sometimes, peripheral neuropathy in the feet can be reversed! Don't complacently accept by conventional western medical diagnosis that one must "manage" - ie; live with - this condition. Through experiences with my father and Aunt who developed Peripheral Neuropathy in their feet associated with Type 2 diabetes - adult onset diabetes - associated with becoming heavily over weight I've seen it happen. With the assistance of their family, mainly my two brothers and myself, and whole body - alternative/integrative medicine trained health care practitioners(M.D.s), they lost weight, managed their diet better, made some lifestyle changes, were no longer defined as Type 2 diabetics, eventually totally taken off insulin, and no longer had an issue with peripheral neuropathy in their feet.

Sadly, even after astonishingly and happily experiencing these life changing results through several years, both my dearly loved relatives reverted back to their previous problematic lifestyles, particularly in their eating habits, when not under the supportive guidance of their family and alternative/integrative health care practitioners, and again, have been rediagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes, put back on insulin, and a slew of other sometimes expensive pharmaceutical drugs. My father especially is now at a higher risk of losing his feet. I wish you well.

Puddlefish
01-21-2016, 13:39
Three (four?) years ago I was over 40 pounds heavier, horribly out of shape with bad knees and breathing difficulties from acid reflux. I started hiking, cut out the fast food, then switched to whole grains, fresh fruits and vegetables, and started eating smaller (human sized) portions. My first hike, I didn't last a quarter mile before I was in pain, out of breath and wiped out. But like you, I really enjoyed walking out in nature, and walked that quarter mile the next day, and the day after that. The next challenge was a single hill, then a single mountain. This year, I'm going to attempt the trail.

It turns out much of my knee pain went away, and all of the acid reflux went away after I lost the weight. Keep active when you can't hike because of the weather or such as well. Every little thing helps.

I'm would not discourage you at all in attempting this. Start in much smaller, yet consistent segments. Be careful with backpacking food as well. I have to be very careful myself not to eat the calorie dense trail food while I'm preparing for a hike.

Good luck!

gonegonzo
01-21-2016, 14:06
There are so many positive feedbacks here that I can not hardly NOT give it a go . As far as my Neuropathy goes , I got it from working out in the freezing cold on concrete , climbing iron and general tolls the construction field makes on ones body .

I fully intended on making a few shake down hikes before setting out on the AT . As far as my weight goes , I'd like to loose 60 pounds . As far as endurance I do have stamina . I swim 1-1/2 hours 5 days a week with no problem . I have lost 23 pounds so far . Also , I heard another thru hiker say that hiking AT will put you in shape and take the weight off .

Colorado Rob >>> I hear you on the stiff soles . The problem so far has been finding shoes to fit . To compound things here I wear a size 16 shoe . I found some at REI but they didn't fit just right . I already have prescription Orthotics but they don't seem to help at all . I have a lot to learn here even though I am a veteran backpacker . It used to be (25 years ago) my lifestyle . HUH , LOL , I've already found that my once suitable equipment is now under engineered .

Tom

nsherry61
01-21-2016, 16:01
You have not choice. You gotta do it.

If you fail, you fail, but you failed trying. If you don't try, you'll always be second-guessing your decision.

And even failing comes with the gift of a few more days in the back-country and no real significant downside. I'd be happy to successfully fail hiking the AT for a few days or weeks pretty much any time and often.

Shutterbug
01-21-2016, 20:01
Hello hikers/backpackers ,

I'm Tom aka/Gonzo . I'm from eastern Ohio and retired 3 years ago form the construction field (carpenter) .I'm 66 years old now and in (overweight) condition . I always dreamed of retiring and doing what I loved so much : Backpacking - Canoeing - Hiking . As fate has it I had to retire because of a handicap . I have neuropathy in my feet . It's like walking on stones barefooted . I've learned to live with the pain to a degree . I can hike at my own pace (slow) and find the solitude outweighs the pain . OK , Cutting to the chase here >>> My dream was to hike the AT when I retired . That dream still lives but I have resorted to the fact that I will not be able to Thru Hike the trail . However , giving up this dream is hard to imagine . It keeps me going at times . My thoughts are to now try section hiking it , again at my own pace . Chances are that I probably never will finish the trail but I still want to give it a try and do as much of it as I can .

Are there any hikers here that fall into the same category that I am in ?

Are there any hikers here that would discourage me from trying this ? As much as I want to do this I don't want to get into a situation where I am stuck on the trail . Right now I think I would max out at 8-10 miles a day .

My thoughts are to go for 3 weeks at a time and at this point I would be doing it solo . I understand that there are groups form at shelters nightly and I keep this in mind as if I would need help . Am I leaning on my fellow hikers too much keeping this in mind ?

So , hikers , be honest with me about keeping my retirement dream alive .

Regards ,
Tom

Tom, when I was your age and retired I was in similar physical condition -- 35 lb overweight and sore feet. This is what I did:

1). Lose that extra weight!! It isn't easy, but it is possible to drop those extra lbs. Now, at age 72, I am 35 lbs lighter than I was when I retired. It took a change of diet and increased exercise to accomplish the change.
2) Find some relief for your feet. I can tell you from experience that hiking with foot pain isn't fun. I tried expensive boots and different kinds of orthodics, but finally found relief when I started wearing Vibram FiveFinger Shoes. Try different approaches until you find something that works for you.
3) Get to know your limits. You said that you would max out at 8-10 miles a day. Do some day hikes that test your limits so that you gain confidence. When I was 65, I planned for 8 miles a day. I now frequently plan for double that.
4) Remember that accomplishing your dream will require more mental discipline than physical. Try a few section hikes before you jump in to the thru hike.

jefals
01-21-2016, 20:25
I'm in the same boat. I'm 69, retired 3 years ago. All my working years, I had that same dream - thru hiking the AT.
Inevitably, there have been many changes over the years. Some slow and subtle, where you might not notice it year over year - but the difference between now and when we started thinking about this adventure are dramatic.
There are a lot more folks hiking the trail now then when I first started thinking about it. I don't think this hike now would live up to the kind of quiet, solitary experience I originally thought it would be.
Also, 40 years ago, I lived in Atlanta - but I've been in California for decades now. So, while the logistics are certainly not insurmountable, it is a consideration. For me, there is so much good hiking out here, I can no longer see me section hiking the AT; that would involve several cross country trips. So, I think I would only now think of the AT as a thru - or maybe at least,1/2 way.
And before thinking about it now, I'd want to see if I could do a good long part of the PCT.

Something else I never considered all those working years, tho, is that now I have grandkids that I wouldn't want to be away from long enough for a thru hike.
Also, now, my knees are not as reliable as they were in my 30s.
So, for me, there's a lot to be said for section hiking. Oh yeah - also, you could do each section in the optimum season for that section, and don't have to worry so much about making those miles, to "get to Katadyn by October, ..

RockDoc
01-21-2016, 22:32
Some good points have been brought up here, for many aging hikers.
Your problems, weight gain, T2D symptoms like peripheral neuropathy, are diet related combined with the problem that we become less sensitive to insulin as we age. You can reverse the condition and lose weight with diet. Eating carbs even wholegrains will exacerbate your problems, IMO. Drop carbs below 50g/day and you will improve. Personally I would lose the weight before going on a long hike.
I'm almost your age BTW.

shelb
01-22-2016, 00:13
What do you think about custom orthodics??

Two things:
Section hike - if approved by your doctor.
ORTHODICS? - if you do use these, BE CAREFUL! My friend had orthodics - wore them everyday/all day - on her feet for 8 months. We hit the trail for our 4th section hike (one each year). She got the worst blisters! (all around the edge of the orthotics!). An outfitter told her that orthodics need to be broken in to hiking (meaning, even if you are used to them, it isn't the same as backpacking with them on!).

Pedaling Fool
01-22-2016, 10:37
I fully intended on making a few shake down hikes before setting out on the AT . As far as my weight goes , I'd like to loose 60 pounds . As far as endurance I do have stamina . I swim 1-1/2 hours 5 days a week with no problem . I have lost 23 pounds so far . Also , I heard another thru hiker say that hiking AT will put you in shape and take the weight off . I can't speak to foot issues, since I seem to have indestructible feet -- I've worn the most expensive shoes (custom made), but I mostly wear the cheapest shoes I can find and use them for running -- I got two pairs with ~1,000 miles each. However, I have experienced serious foot pains and occasionally do get foot pains, but work thru the pain in the gym or just walk it off...I also had a job where I was on my feet quite a bit and know the feeling of standing for very long periods of time on cold hard steel (spent 23 years in the navy, 17 of which was at sea).

I then walked the trail and in the early parts I was concerned that I might have caused permanent damage to my feet -- extreme pain in the first 500 miles (I started off with a pack that weighed between 60-70lbs), but I eventually walked that pain off. I've never went to a doctor for my feet, so that's all I'll say about feet; they seem to work, so I don't give them much thought anymore:)

It seems your major focus should be in getting back in shape. You say you swim a lot, but the problem is that your primary focus for a thru-hike (especially for us old guys) should not be stamina (cardio conditioning). Your primary focus/effort should be building up your musculoskeletal system; cardio conditioning is easy and fast to build up, relatively speaking. Forget the swimming, the amount of musculoskeletal system build up is minuscule and does not really transfer well to hiking. Look at all the reasons people get off the trail -- much of it is from pain in the musculoskeletal system. There are so many things that can go wrong and so many things that need to be built up and they take time, especially connective tissues.

Running would better serve you for preparing for the trail than swimming, because in addition to building up your stamina, you're building up the body for impact and hiking is all about impact. You don't have to go running for a straight 30-minutes, but you could start off slower by doing a running/walking program or just running for a very short distance, say 1/2-mile run. Here's a program to easily map out a route https://www.runningahead.com/maps It's default setting is in KM, but you can select miles as your preferred unit of measure. Also, if you don't want to stick to the roads just hit the "Create Route Manually" button at the top in the tool bar (it's the arrow pointing to a little circle).

If running is just too painful for your feet than you might want to start with just running in place or skipping rope... I would also recommend starting weightlifting and it can just be with just using your body weight, or even try some of these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KwgKQMisGQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrPlI5NQRKw

These are exercises for runners, but there are a lot of comparisons to be made between hiking up and down mountains to running. Actually hiking in the mountains is more comparable to running than it is to walking...sounds crazy, but it's true.

kibs
01-22-2016, 11:14
Gonzo,
My thought is the section hike might be best. I'm in a similar bind as you but if you can figure out the Neuropathy in the feet-- You need to go for it!!! This ain't This no dress rehearsal and frankly, I don't want to have regrets later If my health become too incapacitating.

kibs

gonegonzo
01-22-2016, 13:08
Thank you PF for your input .

kibs , I only have a small window to do this or it's a wash out .

Gonzo

Siestita
01-23-2016, 00:24
"Drop carbs below 50g/day and you will improve..."

Rockdoc--Is that a typo by chance? Fifteen years ago a dietitian put me on an effective weight loss diet. While I followed that diet, I lost weight and it controlled the type two diabetes that I was beginning to have. My prescribed diet included consumption of 165 grams of carbs daily. I was cautioned against trying to completely replace carbs with protein because doing so can damage the kidneys.

Many people (including me currently) can benefit from reducing carb consumption, but for some people, consuming just 50 grams (one large piece of toast) might not sustain life, even in sedentary form, for very long.