PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Familiar With These Maps?

TexasBob
01-21-2016, 12:27
National Geographic has a set of "Topographic Map Guides" for the AT. The ATC store says they are "NEW" and there are 13 that cover the whole AT. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with these particular maps, what your opinion of them is, what do they weigh, and can you separate the individual maps. Thanks for your help.

http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/topographic-map-guides

https://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=835&compid=1 (http://www.natgeomaps.com/trail-maps/topographic-map-guides)

ChuckT
01-21-2016, 12:33
Do they have a scale to them where there was enough detail for field use or are they tack on the wall and "I was (right) there!" souvenirs?

hubcap
01-21-2016, 13:24
These are topographical maps. If you are familiar with navigating with a map and compass, then you will be familiar with this type of map. You shouldn't need a compass, as the AT is clearly marked. You will need an understanding of contour lines and be able to properly orient that map.

If this sounds cool to you, then these are maps for you. If this sounds foreign, then stick with one of the excellent guide books available.

Tennessee Viking
01-21-2016, 14:56
From the samples I saw, the ATC maps are easier to understand.

Nat Geo maps are usually revised every 10 or so years where the ATC maps are updated more frequently (every new guidebook edition).
Nat Geo maps usually carry some outdated info or trails that don't exist anymore.

Cotton Terry
01-21-2016, 16:44
I bought a couple of the NatGeo AT maps because I had heard they were more detailed. The maps I received were printed in a book format (8.5" x 9.5"). Because of the smaller format, it didn't include as much surrounding area as the ATC maps and the scale was such that I wouldn't attempt to get a bearing from it. I would view them as a reference for the curious, only, NOT for navigating. I do have NatGeo maps for GSMNP and the Shenandoah National Park, which are traditional fold out maps with good detail.

I'll be using the ATC maps for the AT except the White Mountains, for which I bought the AMC maps. I was told these were better than the ATC maps, but I'll see when I get them.

egilbe
01-21-2016, 18:25
I bought a couple of the NatGeo AT maps because I had heard they were more detailed. The maps I received were printed in a book format (8.5" x 9.5"). Because of the smaller format, it didn't include as much surrounding area as the ATC maps and the scale was such that I wouldn't attempt to get a bearing from it. I would view them as a reference for the curious, only, NOT for navigating. I do have NatGeo maps for GSMNP and the Shenandoah National Park, which are traditional fold out maps with good detail.

I'll be using the ATC maps for the AT except the White Mountains, for which I bought the AMC maps. I was told these were better than the ATC maps, but I'll see when I get them.

The one feature i liked about these booklets are the elevation profiles at the bottom of the page that corresponded with the map. But, as a map, they are kind of limiting because it only shows whats within a few thousand feet of the AT. I'd rather have a real map.

TexasBob
01-21-2016, 21:13

The one feature i liked about these booklets are the elevation profiles at the bottom of the page that corresponded with the map. But, as a map, they are kind of limiting because it only shows whats within a few thousand feet of the AT. I'd rather have a real map.

Thank you both very much I think you have answered my questions. I am planning to use the Guthook app but wanted a backup and it sounds like the regular AT maps are a better way to go.