PDA

View Full Version : train connection at Washington Union Station

Internet Hiker
01-21-2016, 15:15
For anyone who lives there or has figured this out: If train A arrives at Washington Union Station at 6:58 am and train B doesn't leave for Harpers Ferry for another nine hours (either Amtrak or MARC) is there another way to get there without spending all day waiting in Washington DC?

Dogwood
01-21-2016, 15:31
I had a similar occurrence taking trains from Newark NJ to Atlanta to do an AT hike. I had a scheduled almost 5 hr layover in Washington DC's Union Station. They let me onto an earlier train after awaiting around about 2.5 hrs.

billreillyjr
01-21-2016, 15:34
Besides waiting the only other option is hiking the C&O canal trail to Harper's ferry

tiptoe
01-21-2016, 15:34
Other than a shuttle, I don't think there's another way out. You might spend the hours visiting Washington. Union Station is within walking distance of many attractions.
https://www.google.com/maps/@38.89782,-77.0060939,15z

TNhiker
01-21-2016, 15:45
is there another way to get there without spending all day waiting in Washington DC?

cab, uber, hitchhike, or arrange a shuttle in advance.....

not sure if a bus like a greyhound would leave DC to go that way........

Puddlefish
01-21-2016, 15:53
cab, uber, hitchhike, or arrange a shuttle in advance.....

not sure if a bus like a greyhound would leave DC to go that way........

For public transportation, it's only AMTRAK and MARC, and those are set up for commuters working in the city. Spend big bucks on private limo/uber, hitchhike, or be touristy.

Do you have to go through Union Station?

Internet Hiker
01-21-2016, 16:38
Yeah, it looks like the DC tourist day is the best idea. The C&O canal looks interesting for some day. Thanks for the answers.

Teacher & Snacktime
01-22-2016, 03:41
Yeah, it looks like the DC tourist day is the best idea. The C&O canal looks interesting for some day. Thanks for the answers.

First, I have to ask...why wouldn't you want to spend the day in DC? It is my favorite city!

Second, if you're really in an adventurous spirit, and if time allows, ditch the train plan and ride a bike on the C&O all the way to Harper's Ferry. You won't regret it; it's a wonderful trip. https://www.facebook.com/EddiesChallengeII/?ref=hl scroll down to the Chesapeake & Ohio Canal Day #1 9-29-2014 post

The only drawback is you have to ride your bike back because MARC won't allow it (unless you can get the Amtrak connection, but that's unlikely)

ChefATLTCT
01-22-2016, 07:14
all of my Amtrak trips to the south always include a stop at DC. Their is a room with amtrak attendant, where you can secure your pack, for a fee. Then you are free to wander around town. Just a note when I took amtrak out of Harpers to DC the train as hours late arriving at harpers. Next time ill take MARC

Coffee
01-22-2016, 07:15
You can take metro red line to Shady Grove (a Maryland suburb) and then Uber to HF. Similarly, you can take metro silver line to Wiehle Road in Reston and then take Uber. You could also take Metrobus 5a from LEnfant Plaza or Rosslyn to Dulles Airport and take Uber which might be a bit cheaper. I believe there are also shuttles which will pick up from Dulles. The MARC Train Brunswick line serving HF is set up for commuters so only has afternoon departures but there is an early afternoon departure on Fridays. Amtrak has a daily departure around 4pm heading to Chicago through union station.

I live in Virgnina just outside DC. There is baggage check at Union Station. Check your backpack and then walk to the Capitol and the monuments. You'll easily spend a day exploring and most everything is free on the mall including the museums. Air & Space would be my first stop and could consume several hours. Then I'd tour the Capitol (contact your congressman for tickets - much easier than queuing in the lines).