PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hike Itinerary Planning

DoPandasRead
01-21-2016, 18:42
Quick question,

When you planned your thru-hike did you plan out each day, each week, or just sorta picked a day to start? What I mean is, as I plan my 2017 hike should I try to plan my campsite ahead for each day, or just plan weekly goals, or say heck with plans and just walk north? I have been planning a general area I would like to finish my weeks. For example start at Amicalola STPrk on Feb 24th and end up around Sassafras Gap or Tray MTN on March 3rd.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2016, 19:10
Make a daily plan for the entire hike, then rip it up and burn it the first day out. There are so many variables you can't anticipate (like weather) that sticking to any plan is darn near impossible.

Lone Wolf
01-21-2016, 19:21
Quick question,

When you planned your thru-hike did you plan out each day, each week, or just sorta picked a day to start? What I mean is, as I plan my 2017 hike should I try to plan my campsite ahead for each day, or just plan weekly goals, or say heck with plans and just walk north? I have been planning a general area I would like to finish my weeks. For example start at Amicalola STPrk on Feb 24th and end up around Sassafras Gap or Tray MTN on March 3rd.

the only plan i made was for the day i started. itineraries are useless

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2016, 19:35
Plan to do what is really necessary, like taking the right gear for the conditions, having a variety of tasty meals, and enjoying your walk. Some days you'll go far, some days you won't. It's all good.

Always remember: The sooner you get behind schedule, the more time you'll have to make it up.

Turk6177
01-21-2016, 19:56
The most I have backpacked in one trip straight is 19 days, so I am no expert. However, I see a through hike as a lot of little section hikes. I like to pick my campsite/shelter goal in the morning, then adjust as you need to. I think the less "milestones" you need to meet, the more you may enjoy your hike. On long warm days, I generally never planned a camp site until sometime after lunch. I guess the only windows you might need to hit are days of the week for post offices being open in case you send yourself some packages.

DoPandasRead
01-21-2016, 20:06
I guess the only windows you might need to hit are days of the week for post offices being open in case you send yourself some packages.

See that's the one thing that worries me. I don't want to have to sit around for a whole day and wait for the Post Office to open up. I'm also not planning to micromanage my days. I just was thinking i should have an average mile per day goal or average week goal so I can relay that home for supply drops and the few weekends my wife is going to join me y'know?

4eyedbuzzard
01-21-2016, 20:14
http://www.theatguide.com follow links to hike planning

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/content.php/44

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/12885-AT-Hiking-Rates-Section-by-Section-%28AT-Data-and-Schedules%29?p=170578#post170578

DoPandasRead
01-21-2016, 20:21
How much does the A.T. Guide change per year, I was gonna wait till next year and get the newest edition, but if it stays the same for the most part, I might get it now. I have been using the ATC guide that I have been getting from the library (ISBN 978-1-889386-76-8) and trying to plan according to it.

Water Rat
01-21-2016, 20:23
If you think about it, the thru-hike is the itinerary... You just need to be flexible with your planning. ;) Within the hike, you will have daily goals (where am I stopping tonight?) and multi-day goals (do I need to pick up a mail drop from a certain town/hit he store?) Planning every little detail will only frustrate you, but having loose plans might be the way for you to begin the hike - Until you figure out your hiking rhythm and style. The next town is x number of miles and I need to be there by this day....and then set your daily goals within that framework.

While flexibility is key, so is doing your research and having the necessary information to make decisions regarding your mini goals. If there is a place in town I need to/want to hit, or a feature on the trail I really want to see, I make sure to make note of it within my overall hiking plans. That way my plans are not hard and fast, but I do have reminders that I want to see/do something. When I need it, I just request the next section of notes to be sent to meet me on the trail.

It can be overwhelming to look at the big picture and not freak out about all the logistics. Take a deep breath and know that things do have a way of working out. :) Look at smaller pieces of the AT puzzle, rather than the "whole hike" at one time. One step at a time, one day at a time.

Water Rat
01-21-2016, 20:25
How much does the A.T. Guide change per year, I was gonna wait till next year and get the newest edition, but if it stays the same for the most part, I might get it now. I have been using the ATC guide that I have been getting from the library (ISBN 978-1-889386-76-8) and trying to plan according to it.

There were some changes between last year and this year (AT Guide), but AWOL does post the changes on his website and you can either print that list out, or make notes within your book. Some places have recently closed their doors and other places have recently opened.

Dogwood
01-21-2016, 20:33
What others do is of minor importance. What you do is of major importance. You'll establish your own rhythm and own way to plan.

If it really helps this:
...There are so many variables you can't anticipate (like weather) that sticking to any plan is darn near impossible. I rarely look beyond the next three resupplies ahead in great detail when in the U.S. on LD hikes. Lately I've been mailing resupply in about 1 out of every 3-4 resupplies hiking 90-160 miles between resupplying but it depends on the route or trail.

Permits, expected vastly different terrain/weather, special events in the future, etc I will plan more for.

rafe
01-21-2016, 20:44
Make a daily plan for the entire hike, then rip it up and burn it the first day out. There are so many variables you can't anticipate (like weather) that sticking to any plan is darn near impossible.

This. Far too many variables for a meaningful plan. Weather may turn the trail to sludge. Or maybe you've found a piece of trail that's worth lingering on. Or found some friends you want to hang with. Maybe those friends are moving faster than you'd like... or slower than you'd like.

I've met hikers who travel according to detailed itineraries. But that's not me.

Dogwood
01-21-2016, 20:49
Don't plan your campsites daily so exactly so far in advance of so many unknown and subject to changing variables. LD hiking requires some adaption and flexibility on the fly. The longer the distance the more the flexibility usually required to embrace in the daily ebb and flow of it all.

I heard a talk given by a newer LD hiker named Spot at the REI in Denver several yrs back. LOL. He was a nice guy with a penchant for tight schedules and anal details. He seemed to be very prone to over analyzing pre hike. He anticipated thru-hiking the Colorado Trail with a very nicely detailed schedule listing his daily campsites, when he would call his wife, MPD, resupply pts, etc. On Day 1 he met Lint a nomadic regular LD hiker who I'd say is cut from the same fabric I'm cut from. Spot was influenced so much by all the new information Lint shared on Day 1 Spot's perceived anally well thought out pre hike plans needed to be thrown out the window. ;)

Lone Wolf
01-21-2016, 21:02
I heard a talk given by a newer LD hiker named Spot at the REI in Denver several yrs back. LOL. He was a nice guy with a penchant for tight schedules and anal details. He seemed to be very prone to over analyzing pre hike. He anticipated thru-hiking the Colorado Trail with a very nicely detailed schedule listing his daily campsites, when he would call his wife, MPD, resupply pts, etc.
this describes most first time AT hikers

DoPandasRead
01-21-2016, 21:08
Well looks like I'm going to need to restrain myself a bit. Thanks everyone! I guess what I picked up here is to have an idea that isn’t a prison. Know what I absolutely have to do but not every detail. Geesh, that’s gonna be a change.

Slo-go'en
01-21-2016, 21:08
Year to year changes are minor. Switchbacks and minor reroutes are added occasionally which can affect overall mileage a little, but that is insignificant. A guide book 10 years old is close enough for all practical purposes.

I don't think there is a way to do a thru hike without micromanagement, mostly on a town to town bases. Trying to set daily mileage goals based on guess work (since you don't yet know all the factors which will affect it) will only lead to frustration when you don't meet them. The farther out you try to project, the greater the error will be.

Dogwood
01-21-2016, 21:12
Well looks like I'm going to need to restrain myself a bit. Thanks everyone! I guess what I picked up here is to have an idea that isn’t a prison. Know what I absolutely have to do but not every detail. Geesh, that’s gonna be a change.

Welcome to the world of backpacking....change. You got it.

BTW, can you tell me about the snow level on the PCT this yr? Do I need an ice axe. Where will there be water? :cool:

Water Rat
01-21-2016, 21:31

:) It will most likely be a big change, but you might also find yourself going back to planning every detail. It is your hike and you will need to do what ultimately works best for you.

I have friends in both camps - Some over-plan, but then live by those plans and are perfectly happy because that is just their happy spot. I also have friends who grab some notes on mileage and what is happening in the next hundred miles and then they are ready to go. Their attitude is that they will get there when they get there. Most find that they have over-planned their trip, but the key is to choose what works for you. Allow yourself to relax your normal urge to schedule your life. The real hard part isn't talking yourself out of planning all the details. The hard part is explaining to people (who do not hike) that you do not have every second planned.

Good luck! Enjoy your hike!

shelb
01-22-2016, 00:17
While I plan for a section hike, I know that it will change depending on the terrain, my day, people I meet, resupply issues, trail magic, and on and on.... Don't try to plan your days! Plan your gear! Plan to have fun and be challenged!

colorado_rob
01-22-2016, 10:48
Just one more perspective: First, the idea of just doing it w/o any sort of planning is extremely appealing, I think I get that. Many, if not most successful thru hikers do this, I tip my hat to them. I wish I could have been them when I did my complete AT hike! But I had some other restrictions, namely I met quite a few pre-arranged folks along the way, mostly my wife for a few sections where she joined me. So, I personally needed a bit more structure. So I used an Excel spreadsheet approach.

Make a detailed plan then throw it away after a week? Not necessary if you have the right tools, namely a spreadsheet. All I had to do is update one cell with the current date and place and voila, the sheet updates itself and you now have an accurate estimate of where you'll be and when down the trail. This was extremely valuable to me personally, given my self-imposed restrictions. Came in real handy of course, for knowing where to tell my wife or daughter where to mail my next resupply box.

Just one more perspective, different from most, but worked perfectly for me. HYOH!

colorado_rob
01-22-2016, 10:49
I forgot to mention: this spreadsheet was on my phone, worked perfectly.

snicklefitz
01-23-2016, 02:14
I love that idea, but im running away from spreadsheets to deficate in the woods. Too many spreadsheets drove me to this place in the universe.

capehiker
01-23-2016, 08:54
Making itineraries is a great way to stay focused on your hike. Over the last 15 years I have jotted down probably every conceivable combination of hike, where I would be that day, etc. It was really fun and the biggest takeaway from this was the actual learning about the trail. It was fun to plan to stay at shelter X and then look that shelter up on YouTube to see what it looked like.

With that being said, when I start my NoBo, the only schedule I have is my train ticket to Springer and my first mail drop. After that, I will go where the trail takes me.

mtntopper
01-23-2016, 09:12
I forgot to mention: this spreadsheet was on my phone, worked perfectly.

Would you care to share your spreadsheet here? Thanks.