PDA

View Full Version : WTB or WTT for Bear Cannister

HogFan
01-21-2016, 22:27
I recently relocated to Georgia from Arkansas. I'm going to be doing a lot of hiking/backpacking in northern Georgia up and around the AT. And based on some things I'm reading in various places, a bear cannister will be necessary.
What y'all got for sale or trade?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TNhiker
01-21-2016, 22:34
a bear canister is necessary only for a certain stretch of the AT........

and nearby (sorta) is shining rock wilderness where its necessary....

most other places, you can just hang your food...

with that being said, i do have a bear vault 500 (i think thats the model) that i could sell........

or, whatcha got to trade?

and i see you're from fayetteville------ive spent many a night seeing music at Chesters, which was on dickson street in your fair city.....

The Cleaner
01-22-2016, 07:32
I recently spoke with the USFS Pisgah District about bear canisters in Shining Rock.Yes they are required there year round now.They also said that they may issue a requirement for a larger section of the southern AT do to the excessive number of hikers and their failing to properly hang their food.If many bear encounter incidents are reported this may happen.This would probably result in many citations being issued due to many hikers just not wanting to carry an extra few pounds.Other hikers who start thru hikes without really knowing or caring about the large number of hikers now taking to the trail or LNT guidelines might also be cited.The USFS is working with the ATC on several "management tools" to address the overcrowding on the southern end of the AT and requiring bear canisters is one of those "tools"

HogFan
01-23-2016, 09:19
a bear canister is necessary only for a certain stretch of the AT........

and nearby (sorta) is shining rock wilderness where its necessary....

most other places, you can just hang your food...

with that being said, i do have a bear vault 500 (i think thats the model) that i could sell........

or, whatcha got to trade?

and i see you're from fayetteville------ive spent many a night seeing music at Chesters, which was on dickson street in your fair city.....
TNhiker,
Yes, yes. I, too, have spent many a night along the numerous watering holes up and down Dickson street. I have many tales to tell, too.

I've got a Mens Marmot Trestles 30 Long I'd be willing to trade. It's not being used and only 2 years old.

What part of Tennessee are you in? I'll be in Chattanooga this coming week for work. If it's a fair trade, I'd be willing to meet up if that's close.

Malto
01-23-2016, 11:05
If you want a free canister, hike the approach trail a few time in March and April. I picked up a free one along with a bunch of free crap gear from hikers shedding weight at the first major hill. I have three bear canisters now along with an Ursack. Used to do frequent trip into the Sierra which is why I have them at all. I would rethink whether you want to mess with a canister. the small section of the AT which requires it is not a major issue. But as always. CYOW (Carry your own weight) :)

HogFan
01-23-2016, 14:23
If you want a free canister, hike the approach trail a few time in March and April. I picked up a free one along with a bunch of free crap gear from hikers shedding weight at the first major hill. I have three bear canisters now along with an Ursack. Used to do frequent trip into the Sierra which is why I have them at all. I would rethink whether you want to mess with a canister. the small section of the AT which requires it is not a major issue. But as always. CYOW (Carry your own weight) :)
Wanna sell me one?

TNhiker
01-23-2016, 20:41
im in knoxville.........

ill pass on the trade for the sleeping bag..............but, i could use a decent down jacket...

or i could sell ya the canister outright.......

Malto
01-23-2016, 22:17
Wanna sell me one?

What size are you looking for? I have both sizes of bearvaults.

MuddyWaters
01-23-2016, 22:29
I recently spoke with the USFS Pisgah District about bear canisters in Shining Rock.Yes they are required there year round now.They also said that they may issue a requirement for a larger section of the southern AT do to the excessive number of hikers and their failing to properly hang their food.If many bear encounter incidents are reported this may happen.This would probably result in many citations being issued due to many hikers just not wanting to carry an extra few pounds.Other hikers who start thru hikes without really knowing or caring about the large number of hikers now taking to the trail or LNT guidelines might also be cited.The USFS is working with the ATC on several "management tools" to address the overcrowding on the southern end of the AT and requiring bear canisters is one of those "tools"

This would be awesome imo.

Bears get a lot of food on AT thats never reported.

Save one bear, and its worth it.

HogFan
01-23-2016, 22:43
im in knoxville.........

ill pass on the trade for the sleeping bag..............but, i could use a decent down jacket...

or i could sell ya the canister outright.......
I don't have a spare down jacket to trade.
How much and what size?

HogFan
01-23-2016, 22:44
What size are you looking for? I have both sizes of bearvaults.
I'm looking at the bv450 and 500's. How much?

Malto
01-24-2016, 09:25
$40 shipped. I may even have a carrying case, not that one is needed. (It may take a couple of days to confirm since it is in my garage and I can't move my car until they finally get the alley plowed)

HogFan
01-24-2016, 09:47
$40 shipped. I may even have a carrying case, not that one is needed. (It may take a couple of days to confirm since it is in my garage and I can't move my car until they finally get the alley plowed)
Understand. Once you find it for sure, let me know. I'm definitely interested.
Thanks!

Malto
01-26-2016, 13:32
Understand. Once you find it for sure, let me know. I'm definitely interested.
Thanks!

Here are the photos. The carrying case allows the canister to be strapped to the outside of the pack while staying secured. There is some clear tape on the outside of the body from when I sent it to WB members to use. I will send it to you via the same method, label on canister in mail.

No idea why pictures are upside down.

HogFan
01-26-2016, 14:21
Thanks! Consider it sold.
I'll paypal you Friday as discussed via text messages.

HogFan
02-14-2016, 21:01
I forgot to post, but I did receive it.
Thanks again!