PDA

View Full Version : Shenandoah National Park Hiking Question

BigBearScout
01-21-2016, 22:55
We are planning a trip to the Shenandoah National Park to do a 3 day hike with my Scout Troop. Some of us will be hammock camping and some in tents. We are looking at the end of March during Spring Break. What kind of temps will we encounter? Also would there be problems with the variety of camping shelters that we would be bringing? Thanks for any info you can give.

chknfngrs
01-21-2016, 22:57
expect cold and wet, below freezing temps and wet

thestin
01-21-2016, 23:02
Maximum group size is 10. Regulations can be strictly enforced and violations result in fines. More info here. http://www.nps.gov/shen/planyourvisit/campbc_regs.htm

Slo-go'en
01-21-2016, 23:43
Yea, that's still the tail end of winter there. Unless the hammocks are winterized with a good under quilt, not a good idea.

Finding legal, non designated tenting sites along the AT corridor is not easy and really not practical for a group. Plan on using shelter sites. Keeping the group well below the 10 person limit and staying in the shelters would be the best plan, but bring tents for back up as there are some tent sites around the shelters.

shelb
01-21-2016, 23:58
While I am sure you are an excellent leader, unfortunately some leaders are not aware of camping etiquette - giving scouts a bad name. (Note: I have been a scout leader for 16 years and have 3 Eagle Scout sons...AND I frequently hear hikers complaining about scout groups.)

Practice LNT principles.
Make sure your scouts are respectful of others in the area, especially when it comes to noise and personal space.
Do NOT take up the shelters with your group. Shelters are not there for the groups.
Challenge your scouts to pick up trash they pass. When my troop backpacked 55 miles on the NCT along Michigan's U.P., they packed out nearly 50 pounds of trash! (sad, isn't it?). They only picked up about 10 pounds in 100 miles on the SNP on the A.T.

Have fun! I look forward to taking my Venturing Crew to the A.T. for a 100 mile segment next year!

Akela
01-22-2016, 15:12
I'll be there with the crew in April.
Call the park rangers once you know what area you are going. You need a backpacking permit anyway and they are wonderful and helpful.
Agree, with shelb. Scout units as a community need to do a better job with LNT and trail etiquette rules.Enjoy
Safe trails

BigBearScout
01-22-2016, 20:39
While I am sure you are an excellent leader, unfortunately some leaders are not aware of camping etiquette - giving scouts a bad name. (Note: I have been a scout leader for 16 years and have 3 Eagle Scout sons...AND I frequently hear hikers complaining about scout groups.)

Practice LNT principles.
Make sure your scouts are respectful of others in the area, especially when it comes to noise and personal space.
Do NOT take up the shelters with your group. Shelters are not there for the groups.
Challenge your scouts to pick up trash they pass. When my troop backpacked 55 miles on the NCT along Michigan's U.P., they packed out nearly 50 pounds of trash! (sad, isn't it?). They only picked up about 10 pounds in 100 miles on the SNP on the A.T.

Have fun! I look forward to taking my Venturing Crew to the A.T. for a 100 mile segment next year!

We are looking to maybe base camp in the campground and do some circuit hikes around the area. Maybe even try our hand and a day hike out and camp in the outback then hike back to base camp. Seeing that this will be the first time for most of the Scouts and Leaders. We have some trails that we have looked at real close to try out in and around Shenandoah Park. We are very much LNT Troop as we always leave it better than we found it. Personally I have my Scouts when policing the area we camped in if I find one piece of trash the whole group does 10 push ups. Well after 2-3 times of doing this, we don't find any trash anymore. Mostly we respect other campers, unless we are in a Scout camp then its far game when other Scout can't be quiet.

Skyline
01-23-2016, 00:36
Why limit yourselves to the AT? You can use the AT as a "spine," but leave it to do a blue- or yellow-blazed side trail, camp at lower elevation near a creek or some other inviting environ, and use another side trail to return to the AT. There are lots of good possibilities; some will take you near waterfalls, historic sites, etc. Ask a Park Ranger to help you plan an itinerary, or let us know which section (South, Central, or North) you'll be in and people here might be able to make specific suggestions.

In late March most of the lodging, campgrounds, restaurants, etc. along the AT and Skyline Drive are still closed for winter anyway.

You will want to check if Skyline Drive is open before you leave for SNP to start your hike. It closes when bad weather is forecast or if it happens. If your itinerary depends upon getting on the Drive, don't wait until you get there to find out it's closed. There ARE, fortunately, plenty of boundary points that let you hike into the Park via blue- or yellow-blazed trails without getting on the Drive (some even have convenient but limited parking), and there are parking options near each of the Skyline Drive entrance stations which afford easy access to the AT or connecting trails.

As for weather, it's a crap shoot. Some years, late March can see a mild snap. Other years, you'll think it's mid-January. Plan for the latter, hope for better.

BigBearScout
01-23-2016, 12:23
Thanks for the info.

Hikemor
01-23-2016, 13:57
SNP is the most highly regulated hiking in VA. Consider Massanutten Mtn. (non-AT) or Peaks of Otter (AT) as alternatives. Also, IMO you have about a 50-50 chance of crappy weather at that time. Be ready to pull the plug if you must.

chknfngrs
01-23-2016, 17:37
Great recommendation for massanutten trail just west of Luray. Campfires permitted, national forest not national park

MuddyWaters
01-23-2016, 20:02
Ex scout leader here.
Large groups can never be LNT. They trample grass or vegetation in a concentrated area, build fires, scour for firewood, etc. The idea is that it is impossible to tell anyone was ever there.

LNT is leave no trace, not just Leave No Trash.
But its still better than most.

Our scouts always left places cleaner than we found them.
Cleaner, not more pristine.

Wise Old Owl
01-23-2016, 21:19
It doesn't even green up the trees until late April - winds, rain and damp feathers.