PDA

View Full Version : Where to Winter

hubcap
01-22-2016, 10:04
If you were debt free, and enjoyed trail life so much you'd want to spend all of your time out there.... where would you hang out for the winter? On the trail itself - kinda lonely! In a small town along the way? Just an odd thought I had

Lone Wolf
01-22-2016, 10:06
damascus..............

LoneStranger
01-22-2016, 11:21
New Hampshire. Winter in the Whites when you are camped down below listening to the wind roaring over the peaks and the river ice booming never stops being a thrill. I just love being snug under my quilts reading in my tent feeling bad for all the peakbaggers that had to go home when it got dark :)

daddytwosticks
01-22-2016, 16:55
Small southern town close to the trail. Hiawassee Ga., Franklin NC., Hot Springs NC, etc. :)

Heliotrope
01-22-2016, 17:24
Oh man. That is the dream. I would choose the Tucson area. Close to the AZ trail. Nice hiking in winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dudeijuststarted
01-22-2016, 17:31
Hanover, NH

imscotty
01-22-2016, 17:56
Randolph, NH or Waitsville, VT

peakbagger
01-22-2016, 17:57
If you poll most long term NH hikers, they pick snow season hiking as their favorite time of the year. Sure you get to wait out some nasty days but the nice days sure make you forget quick. On clear day in winter 100 mile visibilities are quite common. The trails are remarkably well used but if you want solitude its easy to just take side trail. Off trail hiking is nice as the snow locks in the undergrowth so I can go spots I would never go during normal hiking season. Hiking is frequently easier, no rocks to speak of so most trails are a well packed sidewalk. Add a bit of fresh snow and they make good butt sledding and even better sledding. If you want entertainment, the greatest show in the northeast is free for those who walk up to Tuckermans Ravine and if the sun is out, the ravine gets downright balmy.

Slo-go'en
01-22-2016, 20:45
Randolph, NH or Waitsville, VT

Yep, Randolph is a nice little hiking community and having a 100+ miles of trails in my backyard is hard to beat.

Venchka
01-22-2016, 22:09
Not sure why, but Chama, NM keeps popping into my brain. Salida, CO also.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

jumbojimbo
01-23-2016, 01:08
Key West, Fla.

squeezebox
01-23-2016, 01:16
Spain......

Old Hillwalker
01-23-2016, 08:22
Spain......

+1 for Spain.

SteelCut
01-23-2016, 08:28
Somewhere on the Sierra Eastside

MuddyWaters
01-23-2016, 08:48
Northern new mexico

garlic08
01-23-2016, 08:49
Oh man. That is the dream. I would choose the Tucson area. Close to the AZ trail. Nice hiking in winter.

This. The AZT Association gets pretty active with trail maintenance in the desert in the winter months. It's a great way to stay involved in long distance trail life in the winter. It's not lonely at all. In fact, I'm living (debt-free) in Scottsdale, AZ right now, hanging out with friends I met on the AZT.

Heliotrope
01-23-2016, 09:32
This. The AZT Association gets pretty active with trail maintenance in the desert in the winter months. It's a great way to stay involved in long distance trail life in the winter. It's not lonely at all. In fact, I'm living (debt-free) in Scottsdale, AZ right now, hanging out with friends I met on the AZT.

Dammit [emoji3] Envious!

nsherry61
01-23-2016, 12:58
New Zealand

daddytwosticks
01-23-2016, 14:08
New Zealand
I would imagine that shuttle costs to and from the trail would be quite expensive. Hitchhiking would also be problematic. :)

Puddlefish
01-23-2016, 15:33
I'm pretty much where I want to be. I'm a half hour from Hanover, which is a lovely little expensive town. I don't really consider it all that much of a trail town. There's a little plaque in on the side walk that states it's part of the AT, but it's more of a college, rich older person town than a town that's particularly dedicated to serving the trail.

I could day hike the AT every day, but there are dozens of more interesting trails, and a few nice mountains within a few minutes of me. I'm in the middle of the Sunapee Kearsage Ragged Greenway, some awesome trails that sadly don't allow overnight camping.

Marta
01-23-2016, 17:55
The Rockies. Hiking is fun, but spending the winter skiing is even more fun.

turtle fast
01-26-2016, 02:43
Damascus, Erwin, Hot Springs, and Franklin were nice. Better yet if you have the aptitude, buy a hostel.

saltysack
01-26-2016, 07:08
Key West, Fla.

Be careful bending over to put your PACK on!

mrcoffeect
01-26-2016, 08:03
Key West, Fla.
They do have the cleanest and the most friendly hobos of anywhere I've visited.

wornoutboots
01-26-2016, 10:42
Mammoth Lakes, CA

Scrum
01-26-2016, 10:49
If you poll most long term NH hikers, they pick snow season hiking as their favorite time of the year. Sure you get to wait out some nasty days but the nice days sure make you forget quick. On clear day in winter 100 mile visibilities are quite common. The trails are remarkably well used but if you want solitude its easy to just take side trail. Off trail hiking is nice as the snow locks in the undergrowth so I can go spots I would never go during normal hiking season. Hiking is frequently easier, no rocks to speak of so most trails are a well packed sidewalk. Add a bit of fresh snow and they make good butt sledding and even better sledding. If you want entertainment, the greatest show in the northeast is free for those who walk up to Tuckermans Ravine and if the sun is out, the ravine gets downright balmy.

+1 for winter hiking in the Whites! No bugs, no humidity, smooth trails, butt sliding, fewer crowds (thought you would be surprised how many people are out hiking in the winter), great bushwhacks that only work on frozen ground, better views . . . the list of advantages just goes on.

The focus tends to be on peak bagging, rather than section hiking. Lots of folks working on their 48 or Winter 48 (climbing all 48 4000+ footers in NH). One person is trying to do all 48 in just the month of January! Take a look at some of these reports and you will see how many people are having a blast out there in sub-freezing temps. http://www.newenglandtrailconditions.com/nh/

colorado_rob
01-26-2016, 11:27
The Rockies. Hiking is fun, but spending the winter skiing is even more fun.I didn't realize we're talkig about parts of the country away from the AT... so yeah, out west, hands down! In any given week here in Colorado, November thru April, we can: Ski, Hike, Climb, Snowshoe, Ski again, Bike, Snow-bike (kinda fun), and yes, even get a round of golf in. All in brilliant, clear blue skies, at least most weeks. 300+ days of sunshine.

saltysack
01-26-2016, 11:49
Mammoth Lakes, CA

+1

DuneElliot
01-26-2016, 14:38
Everywhere. In fact this is my plan! In 2017 I will be moving in my RV and traveling the country...working and playing so I can experience different landscapes, trails, climates, people. Once I've spent a year exploring one place I will move on to the next to ride or hike new trails.

New England Guy
01-26-2016, 22:38
Hanover, NH Great Answer! I was born and raised there...Can't wait to walk there from GA this summer.