PDA

View Full Version : Snow and the Nobo's

snicklefitz
01-22-2016, 22:24
How long will the deep stuff stick around? i was going at the end of February, what does everyone think? wise to postpone? i was trying to stay ahead of the bubble ( it will pass me as i am sure i will be moving slower than average)

Flounder940
01-22-2016, 22:38
In the higher elevations like The Smokies, I would expect it to stick around for quite awhile. I started Feb 14th 2013 and by the time I got to The Smokies, snow from weeks earlier had melted down and frozen over and over and created a hard ice pack. You could get snow in early April on The AT, so it is a crapshoot. Best advice is have some micro spikes or something similar. If it was me, I would still go. People will say that those that leave early have less of a chance of finishing and that most will drop out. I was with a group of 11 early starters, and all of them made it, so anything can happen.

egilbe
01-22-2016, 22:38
'Till Spring

Slo-go'en
01-22-2016, 22:44
Ya just never know, it all depends on the weather.

MuddyWaters
01-22-2016, 23:22
You planned to start in winter, but didnt expect any winter storms? Theres a couple of decent ones most years.

Yiddo
01-22-2016, 23:26
I was in the smokies march 30th-april 4th last year, the ridges that the AT follows thru the park all had about 3-6 inches of snow on them, but there was a narrow footpath thru them that was just mud. You'd have to wait until the summer for there to be no snow for sure.

The Cleaner
01-22-2016, 23:49
Here just north of Hot Springs,the temps are expected to be in the 40s(subtract 10* for the AT) next week.I just heard the latest NOAA report for this area and 20" of snow is possible for the high country along the AT.There was also a warning for hikers to BOLO for falling limbs due to expected winds of 40-50mph tomorrow.I've seen more than a foot of snow to be gone in a week if another system brings rain and warmer temps to the high country.The Smokies are a bit different where snow will stay on shaded north facing slopes for a while and become a frozen nightmare to hike on.I used to hike the AT in the Smokies a lot in the late 80s and even with traction aids, many fresh downed trees and limbs make travel dangerous and slow.In other areas with less snow your daily mileage could be half of what you planned especially in old snow which is like hiking in oatmeal a foot deep.Also on 4-17-87 it snowed 17" overnight near Camp Creek Bald but it was gone in a few days.Anyone starting a NOBO thru hike before April should expect some snow anytime all the way till Damascus VA.

snicklefitz
01-23-2016, 00:14
ok, im going. the only decision anybody should regret is the decision to pass on an opportunity. mistakes are learning experiences. I am doing this to experience life, hardship, beauty, exhilaration, and to do something that challenges me.

in for a penny in for a pound

ChuckT
01-23-2016, 07:03
Keep your wits about you, hike safe and steady and you'll be OK. Best of luck from all us not going!

Spirit Walker
01-23-2016, 15:41
There will be another half dozen snow storms before the season is through. It's winter. On the AT it can and does snow in May. (Which is one reason experienced hikers don't recommend early starts.) This storm will be gone by the time you get there, but there will be others while you are on the trail. Just be prepared to hole up if you have to.

snicklefitz
01-23-2016, 16:58
good advice all, thank you!

full conditions
01-23-2016, 17:21
Supposed to be in the low 60's by next weekend here in the Smokies. Depending on how long that lasts, you could have a brief window of dry ground in the high country.