PDA

View Full Version : Zippos on the trail

snicklefitz
01-23-2016, 00:21
I see many people bring to mini bics with them. Why not the zippo? its waterproof, you can use denatured alcohol with it (same as the UL stove kit), you can light it and set it down to use as a flame source, and a couple flints weigh nothing.

just curious, the weight vs the benefit seem inconsequential.

ChuckT
01-23-2016, 06:58
Probably no good reason other than that the brand "BIC" was more topical than "Zippo" when the US started swearing off cigarettes.

garlic08
01-23-2016, 08:34
It may be yet another sad chapter in our disposable culture, too. Throw it away rather than refuel and maintain it.

Initial cost is an issue for some, especially if you don't use it very often, like once a day during a hike. Disposable Bics cost about a buck each in a package. In fact, I don't remember ever actually buying one. I salvage them off the pavement in parking lots--it's amazing what you see when you walk a lot.

garlic08
01-23-2016, 08:38
A butane cartridge might be a better choice in a survival kit (as long as make sure the valve doesn't get depressed). Will a Zippo light if it's been ignored in a pack for months, or even years?

capehiker
01-23-2016, 09:07
A mini bic weighs nothing and can last an entire Thru hike (Joe Brewer just finished his Triple Crown using the same Bic). There's no need to mess with replacing flints or finding fuel if you're not an alcohol fuel user. Personally, the Zippos I have are more momentos than for function so I wouldn't take one. That would mean I would have to buy a new Zippo, which would be pointless if I can buy a mini Bic and use it for the whole hike.

capehiker
01-23-2016, 09:08
Will a Zippo light if it's been ignored in a pack for months, or even years?

It will spark but you would need to refill it with fuel.

hipbone
01-23-2016, 09:21
I only use the Bic in my hiker kit for lighting my stove 1 time a day. I had one last me the whole AT and probably 5 years after that. My Zippo I have at home hardly ever gets used. When I do try to use it most of the time the fuel has evaporated. Between me and my hiking partner we have 3 Bics between us on the trail. It's one of the most reliable pieces of gear in my pack :)

cmoulder
01-23-2016, 09:35
A fully fueled Zippo weighs about 2.8 oz. A Bic mini weighs 0.4 oz. Next question? :D

A butane canister stove can be lit with spark alone, so a Bic might still be useful even with no fuel. And the spark might also be able to light the dry cotton portion of a PJCB (petroleum jelly cotton ball), although I haven't actually tried that one because I've always used a firesteel for that job. So there's another little project.

bigcranky
01-23-2016, 10:02
I had a big brass Zippo when I was in the Army. Carried it everywhere, and when I got out and started backpacking I kept carrying it. Then I realized it was heavy, needed regular maintenance, etc., and replaced it with a mini Bic. (I also quit smoking, so I didn't need a lighter in my pocket all the time.) I've had the same mini Mic in my ditty bag for probably ten years and it still has fuel and still lights.

If I could fine one of the piezo mini Bics I would buy one, since they can still light when wet (unlike the standard flint version).

Lone Wolf
01-23-2016, 10:41
I see many people bring to mini bics with them. Why not the zippo? its waterproof, you can use denatured alcohol with it (same as the UL stove kit), you can light it and set it down to use as a flame source, and a couple flints weigh nothing.

just curious, the weight vs the benefit seem inconsequential.

just take it if you want to. 50 experts on zippos will tell you not to because of weight. baltimore jack did 7 thru hikes with a zippo. he always carried a 50 lb pack

RangerZ
01-23-2016, 11:31
Zippos are from Bradford, PA. Great product, I have a WWII era model that works fine. Great museum, also.

I do use a Bic when backpacking, tho.

Patrickjd9
01-23-2016, 11:38
If you forget your Bic lighter, you can buy one in any convenience store (or find them on the ground). My two are so old, I can't remember where I bought or found them.

Coffee
01-23-2016, 12:09
I associate zippos with smoking. Mine has been put away for over 20 years. I'd want to smoke if I carried one.

ALLEGHENY
01-23-2016, 12:18
I remember the rash I got from the fuel when I carried the zippo in my pants pocket. I would also use it as a hand warmer while out hunting. Anyone remember jon-e hand warmers? I still have all this crap.
I always preferred matches, they where cheep and free for the asking most of the time.

ALLEGHENY
01-23-2016, 12:20
Not a rash. A chemical burn.

hipbone
01-23-2016, 12:24
Just confirmed...we still have the same bic lighter in our kit that we carried on the AT in 2001...still going :)

Coffee
01-23-2016, 12:31
I bought a mini Bic three pack in 2013 for the JMT. Still using the first of three now.

Puddlefish
01-23-2016, 13:48
I remember the rash I got from the fuel when I carried the zippo in my pants pocket. I would also use it as a hand warmer while out hunting. Anyone remember jon-e hand warmers? I still have all this crap.
I always preferred matches, they where cheep and free for the asking most of the time.

I have a dedicated zippo hand warmer, it's quite nice really, but uses a lot of fuel and leave you smelling like fuel. I can't see any reason to take a Zippo lighter out on the trail, other than nostalgia. The Bics have longer flints, are less finicky and overall more reliable. The zippo is pretty much an iconic stylish heavy fuel evaporator.

cmoulder
01-23-2016, 14:26
Much easier to strike with the index finger (handy when lighting a canister stove) if those little child resistant springy-thingys are removed. For the mini Bics, simply snip them at the base with some wire cutters. The regular Bics are even easier; just grab the springy at the base with some needlenose pliers and yank it out.

Apologies if everybody in the known Universe is already aware of this. :)

hipbone
01-23-2016, 17:18
Much easier to strike with the index finger (handy when lighting a canister stove) if those little child resistant springy-thingys are removed. For the mini Bics, simply snip them at the base with some wire cutters. The regular Bics are even easier; just grab the springy at the base with some needlenose pliers and yank it out.

Thanks for reminding me of that trick. Going to do this to all the lighters in my kit tonight [emoji1]

Dogwood
01-23-2016, 17:40
just take it if you want to. 50 experts on zippos will tell you not to because of weight. baltimore jack did 7 thru hikes with a zippo. he always carried a 50 lb pack

LOL. How much extreme micromanaging can we endure? It's jus walkin. :D

I've used one el cheapo magnesium flint fire starter that cost about $2, removed the cord, whittled down the plastic thumb hold, and now weighs sub 2 oz for several yrs and how many thousands of miles and meals I don't know. Bics or Zippos are much a matter for convenience. A spark and wuff... heat and da fire. Look, look, I, I have made fire.

Garlic, I thought I was the only one who regularly finds discarded Bics and uses them. Dun it many times. A spark is really all ya need. No flame required from a Bic.

Heliotrope
01-23-2016, 23:27

I, for one, am not aware. Can you please be more specific about which thingy you cut. ?🤓

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cmoulder
01-24-2016, 08:22
I, for one, am not aware. Can you please be more specific about which thingy you cut. ?邏

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Photo of mini Bic springy-thingy and where to snip with wire cutters. With the larger Bics, use needlenose pliers and yank it out at the same spot... no need to cut. ;)

aka.cyberman
01-26-2016, 20:09
I use a Soto Pocket Torch. Flame from a distance.

Casey & Gina
01-26-2016, 22:32

I forgot about that, will have to see to my Bic as this can be mighty helpful when your fingers are really cold. Imagine the weight savings too!

cmoulder
01-26-2016, 23:00
I forgot about that, will have to see to my Bic as this can be mighty helpful when your fingers are really cold. Imagine the weight savings too!

LOL! OK well in this instance I'll admit the weight savings are insignificant (UL heresy!), but the cold fingers part is true.

Casey, I'll confess that in my first comment about this I was all set to add the modifiers "idiotic childproof". However, thinking about your incredibly sweet little guy, Coyote, made me think better of it. I'd guess that its impact is statistically exceedingly minuscule, but if it makes a difference for only one little guy or girl like him, it's worth it.

Googan
01-27-2016, 00:09
A big lighter is as good as it gets. Zippos smell funky and seem like they need a new flint cotton or fluid all the time

Don H
01-27-2016, 10:21
Use a piece of bicycle inner tube to seal the Zippo, keeps the fluid from evaporating and helps to waterproof it too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfU_OHNlOG4

Casey & Gina
01-27-2016, 11:02
Use a piece of bicycle inner tube to seal the Zippo, keeps the fluid from evaporating and helps to waterproof it too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfU_OHNlOG4

Apparently "ranger bands" can be purchased at a high markup which are exactly the same thing. I just got a classic Zippo on Massdrop and look forward to receiving it... :)

perrymk
01-27-2016, 12:10
I use a butane insert (http://www.amazon.com/Thunderbird-Vector-Lighter-Insert-Regular/dp/B009Z2GB16/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453910954&sr=8-1&keywords=zippo+butane+insert)for my Zippo. It solves the fuel leaking problem and chemical burn problem.

George
01-27-2016, 12:44
definitely need a zippo if you want style points

Five Tango
01-28-2016, 15:06
I like this little lighter but of course have the Bic as well as a Zippo with an Eagle on it for style points.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZVMS2C?keywords=msr%20piezo%20lighter&qid=1454007563&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

snicklefitz
02-13-2016, 18:59
I'm going with the zippo, can use denatured alcohol in it so I'll already have fuel. Plus I've carried it for 20 years. Some times my style points, complement my badassery

Wise Old Owl
02-14-2016, 09:56
Here is what you need to know for your happy trails. White Bic can be held up to the light and you can see the fuel left. If it is wet or too much to light you can blow on it. or roll it on the bottom of your boot. Even when its out of fuel one can make a tinderbundle & add a carbon patch take the spark guard off and start a fire.

MuddyWaters
02-14-2016, 10:24
Mini bics are great, as long as fingers arent frozen. Then it becomes very difficult to light.

Due to lack of feeling in fingers you can also severely burn yourself easily.

You read about people who got in trouble in cold conditions all the time and think "why didnt they just make a fire?". The answer is often they couldnt. The more time spent trying with exposed hands, the worse it gets.

LittleJimmy
02-14-2016, 12:18

I just used my jon-e hand warmer while shoveling out my driveway. A great product and one that gets really hot in the little flannel bag. Really does the job, unlike the toy shake the powders packet "little hotties" that I get for Christmas (but they are better than nothing).

Jack Tarlin
02-14-2016, 16:22
All of my A.T. miles were achieved while carrying a Zippo. It is in my pocket now and I don't even smoke anymore.

bikebum1975
02-16-2016, 20:17
Never smoked myself I do have a zippo more for the novelty of them and my current one was a gift. You'll need to have fuel to add to it every couple weeks or so even with a ranger band they still suck for fuel lasting. If I really want to start a fire or light any of my stoves I grab a ferro rod I honestly can't recall ever lighting one with a match. Regarding the weight of a zippo meh they aren't that heavy

snicklefitz
02-17-2016, 01:40
you can use the aame alcohol that an can alcohol stove uses, so there will not be a shortage.

bikebum1975
02-17-2016, 14:42
you can use the aame alcohol that an can alcohol stove uses, so there will not be a shortage.
Downside with alcohol is the close to invisible flame.

rainydaykid
02-22-2016, 02:19
All of my A.T. miles were achieved while carrying a Zippo. It is in my pocket now and I don't even smoke anymore.

Yeah, I gave it up for vaping 2 years ago, after smoking 20 years. As far as the zippo, I bought myself a nice one for my 18th many years ago, and used it for awhile. I quickly came to realize that a simple bic was far superior, they were lighter, cheaper, and didn't need refilling every week. I still like zippos, but a bic beats it for practicality. I don't depend on it for emergencies, though. I have some tinderquik and a small firesteel for that.

I'll probably see you again this year when I do another AT thru, after I graduate. That is, if you are at Mountain Crossings again this year. You've been down there every time I've been through there.