PDA

View Full Version : WTB: ZPacks Hexamid Solo or Solo-Plus

wolfgirl
01-23-2016, 01:04
Hi,
I would like to buy a ZPacks Hexamid Solo or Solo-Plus from someone who doesn't mind having to ship to Sydney, Australia -- obviously I would pay the shipping cost.
Cheers!

showtime_
02-15-2016, 10:51
Hey wolfgirl,

Let me start by saying I'm not sure if this allowed or not (did I get your attention?), so moderators please delete if it isn't, but there is a guy on backpackinglight with a solo-plus for sale @ $425. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-hexamid-solo-plus-solo-plus-groundsheet-16-03-oz/
I was originally looking to get it, but I think If I'm going to drop that kind of cash I will just pony up and get a duplex.

Hope that helped

colorado_rob
02-15-2016, 11:05
I love my Solo+, once I learned to pitch it properly... but no, you cannot have mine :-)

Beware of a used one; just make sure it has the "beak" option, highly important for an AT hike, perhaps less so for a PCT hike. It looks like that one on BPL might not have a beak, but cannot quite tell (the beak does roll up if you don't want it down).

showtime_
02-15-2016, 11:13
solid advice! I wasn't quite sure it did either... and he has the weight listed at 16.something oz. I'm wondering if the difference in weight from what is currently offered is because of no beak or no seam seal (I read that older models didn't come seam sealed).

side note: not selling your solo+... any chance you have a duplex you'd be willing to part with? :D

Lyle
02-15-2016, 11:17
Also, are you looking for the tarp version or the tent version? I have the tarp - love it! No, I'm not selling either. Just thought I would point out something else to clarify on any responses you get.

Kerosene
02-15-2016, 14:25
Don't limit yourself to a Solo or Solo+; the Twin provides quite a bit more floorspace at less than a 3-ounce weight penalty (no bug screen), which allows you to re-position your sleeping bag in unexpected blowing rain in lieu of needing a bivy sack. Sorry, I'm keeping mine!

wolfgirl
02-16-2016, 04:58
Thanks everyone.
Yup - I've been keeping my eye on Backpackinglight and noticed that one. The weight makes it appear to me that it doesn't have a beak which I definitely want (or the recent storm doors) for the sake of needing a solidly 3 season tent.

I'm looking for the tent version and as I always hike solo and am a small 5 foot 2 female, an upgrade to a Twin isn't necessary. Even the Solo + is probably not even necessary. If I buy new I think I would go for just the Solo.

I'm giving my search for a second hand one another week or two before just taking the plunge and buying a new one.

Water Rat
02-16-2016, 10:27
Zpacks made a few changes to their Solo Plus for the 2015 season. Good luck on the search for a used one! :) People don't seem to be letting go of 'em once they get them. Though, I am still holding out hope as it sounds like many have ordered a Solo Plus this year...

DuneElliot
02-16-2016, 11:32
Thanks everyone.
Yup - I've been keeping my eye on Backpackinglight and noticed that one. The weight makes it appear to me that it doesn't have a beak which I definitely want (or the recent storm doors) for the sake of needing a solidly 3 season tent.

I'm looking for the tent version and as I always hike solo and am a small 5 foot 2 female, an upgrade to a Twin isn't necessary. Even the Solo + is probably not even necessary. If I buy new I think I would go for just the Solo.

I'm giving my search for a second hand one another week or two before just taking the plunge and buying a new one.

You're not much bigger than me (5'5 female) and for the amount of time I hike and camp and backpack (many, many nights in a tent) I have found the extra space invaluable, especially in bad weather when I may get stuck in it for more than just sleeping. I have never once regretted buying a 1.5-2 person tent, especially for the minimal weight difference at 3oz for the Solo vs Twin. I bought the Duplex vs Solo or Altaplex as I prefer to have all my gear inside with me rather than in the vestibule and like to spread out.

Of course everyone has to make their own choices but with the floor of the Solo being 32" with the addition of the bathtub floor, you're going to have very little space. For another $50 and 2oz you'll have more space with the SoloPlus vs the Solo.

wolfgirl
02-17-2016, 08:37
Thanks for sharing your experience, DuneElliot. You have definitely given me something to think about.
I am going to use some masking tape to map out the solo vs solo+ dimensions on the floor to get a better feel for the space. This is an expensive decision so I want to get it right!

wolfgirl
02-17-2016, 08:39
Zpacks made a few changes to their Solo Plus for the 2015 season. Good luck on the search for a used one! :) People don't seem to be letting go of 'em once they get them. Though, I am still holding out hope as it sounds like many have ordered a Solo Plus this year...

Good luck to you too Water Rat! :)

colorado_rob
02-17-2016, 09:46
Thanks for sharing your experience, DuneElliot. You have definitely given me something to think about.
I am going to use some masking tape to map out the solo vs solo+ dimensions on the floor to get a better feel for the space. This is an expensive decision so I want to get it right!That's a cool plan, the tape thing. Even though you're petite, I think you will like the extra room of the Solo+. My 5'9" buddy (thru-hiker double crowner) introduced me to these tents 3 or so years ago, he had a Hexamid solo, which I checked out in person. Adequate for one, but he strongly recommended I get the Solo+, which I did, but I'm 6'1". But it sure is nice being able to bring you full pack with all your gear comfortably into the tent at night, and furthermore not have it against a tent wall where it might get some splash-up in a heavy rain. Even for a petite woman, not sure the solo has enough room for all your gear, but the solo+ sure does, easily.

DuneElliot
02-17-2016, 11:44
I am going to use some masking tape to map out the solo vs solo+ dimensions on the floor to get a better feel for the space. This is an expensive decision so I want to get it right!

Glad to help. Also bear in mind the head space also.

I gave the Hexamid some thought but honestly didn't like the way the netting was attached to the fly. The physics of the tent means that the rain runs down the fly and then has the potential to drip/run down the side of the netting. I like the nature of the Sol/Alta/Duplex because of the 4-5" of overhang. Again, this is just a personal choice and observation on design. I have not used a Hexamid to know how the physics of the design actually work, but it was enough of a flaw in MY eyes only to warrant investing the slightly heavier Plex tents

Lyle
02-17-2016, 13:26

While I'm 5' 9", when I was deciding, a gentleman from Georgia (I think that was where) was kind enough to send me his Solo so that I could try it out in the back yard. Luckily it rained the weekend I had it, so I really got to try it out. While the solo was fine for one person, it was close enough that I worried about sliding out from under it if I was on any kind of sloping ground. If you pitched it tight to the ground, it may keep you from sliding out from under it, but you would probably end up with your bag right up against the tarp, and thus prone to wetness from condensation.

Long story short, I ordered the Solo Plus, with the beak. I've used the Beak a few times and was glad I had it. I've used the Solo Plus for a couple of years now on the AT, the JMT and the Rockies. Several nights of intense rain have been handled well, as well as several nights of very windy, above tree line camping in the Sierras. Very glad I went with the Solo Plus, the extra room is very nice. Their Duplex tent would also be on my short list if I were in the market.

Good luck with your decision, and have a great hike.

Dogwood
02-17-2016, 19:51
I don't want it assumed I'm bad mouthing ZP but there are so many great UL shelters on the market. Yet I know folks are not considering their needs always in good context of their hikes and who they are and instead following the crowd of popularity.

showtime_
02-17-2016, 21:33
They could just want the lightest tent on the market. There are great companies that one could order from, but the only one I ​saw that had the same weight specs for tents was Six Moon Designs with their Skyscrape X. Of course, you're probably right for the majority of folks searching for ZPacks though.

wolfgirl
02-17-2016, 21:54
Thanks very much for all your feedback. I taped out the dimensions and found that the solo bathtub floor barely squeezes my backpack horizontally (I sleep with it under my feet) so that coupled with everyone's experiences has convinced me to go for the solo+.

wolfgirl
02-17-2016, 22:02
I don't want it assumed I'm bad mouthing ZP but there are so many great UL shelters on the market. Yet I know folks are not considering their needs always in good context of their hikes and who they are and instead following the crowd of popularity.

Hi Dogwood. I currently use a Tarptent Notch and in the past used a tarp coupled with a bivy (the bivy was essential with all the bugs here in Oz) and in an effort to drop more weight want to go with cuben fibre. I've spent countless hours researching different options and finally settled on the Hexamid. I also looked at the SMD Skyscape u/showtime mentions but would prefer a higher bathtub floor... plus, the SMD is more expensive and given the flailing Australian exchange rate, even that small amount feels a lot more expensive to my student budget.

I have seen your posts regularly on WB so given your experience (and if you have the time), I would love to hear what alternate option you would recommend given my needs. I camp locally in pretty mild Australian weather and very often in NZ. I am also currently planning a PCT thru hike. I don't want to go back to a tarp as I much prefer the psychological retreat and protection of a tent. Cheers!

Dogwood
02-18-2016, 03:55
I assume the ZP_ Hexamid Solo and Solo + is your way of getting a TT Notch type design while lowering the shelter wt? They are similar in design in some aspects.

You're in the 1.5 lb shelter area already with your TT Notch so are rather light. Yet, you may very well be better served meeting your goals of lowering shelter wt from where you are now, having a sense of enclosure/protection, gain those high bath tub walls, etc all while gaining more versatility having options to lower shelter wt even further on occasion, etc by going even more modular than the ZP Hexamid Solo or Solo+ employing a tarp/shaped tarp - like the Hexamid Tarp ONLY - and a CF floor inner net. The Hexamid is really only a shaped tarp even with the attached zippered bug screen although I guess one could say in a configured tent mode

When insect pressure is nil why take along an attached bug net if you're so serious about attaining the lightest wt kit? If you did a ZP CF bathtub or polycro floor under a Hex Solo or Solo Plus tarp or even added a DIY nanoseeum pyramid hanging from an attached loop inside the Hex tarp you'd easily get to a sub 16 oz protected shelter if you use trekking poles and still be more modular than a Hexamid in tent mode(w/ attached netting).

I'd like to know 1) What are your typical kit wts now? Detail your Big 4. Give us other categories/places where wt can be saved in your kit and with your anticipated on trail tactics for the PCT. 2) If you are going to a lighter wt Hex Solo or Solo + are you opting for the SUL .51 CF? How do you suppose the Hex will work in Oz and NZ? durability, UV wise, etc?

Dogwood
02-18-2016, 04:00
Have you seen this?: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1XrsD_OeSdfbc3uNifisZ1Dz6LPHoIq2oASescahDcp4/edit#gid=0 More options exist than on this list too. For you possibly quite a few more options that lower your shelter wt as it stand now while also bringing into play more factors that could be perceived as positive for you that you might not have considered yet. ;)

wolfgirl
02-18-2016, 08:16
I assume the ZP_ Hexamid Solo and Solo + is your way of getting a TT Notch type design while lowering the shelter wt? They are similar in design in some aspects.

You're in the 1.5 lb shelter area already with your TT Notch so are rather light. Yet, you may very well be better served meeting your goals of lowering shelter wt from where you are now, having a sense of enclosure/protection, gain those high bath tub walls, etc all while gaining more versatility having options to lower shelter wt even further on occasion, etc by going even more modular than the ZP Hexamid Solo or Solo+ employing a tarp/shaped tarp - like the Hexamid Tarp ONLY - and a CF floor inner net. The Hexamid is really only a shaped tarp even with the attached zippered bug screen although I guess one could say in a configured tent mode

When insect pressure is nil why take along an attached bug net if you're so serious about attaining the lightest wt kit? If you did a ZP CF bathtub or polycro floor under a Hex Solo or Solo Plus tarp or even added a DIY nanoseeum pyramid hanging from an attached loop inside the Hex tarp you'd easily get to a sub 16 oz protected shelter if you use trekking poles and still be more modular than a Hexamid in tent mode(w/ attached netting).

I'd like to know 1) What are your typical kit wts now? Detail your Big 4. Give us other categories/places where wt can be saved in your kit and with your anticipated on trail tactics for the PCT. 2) If you are going to a lighter wt Hex Solo or Solo + are you opting for the SUL .51 CF? How do you suppose the Hex will work in Oz and NZ? durability, UV wise, etc?

Hi Dogwood,
Wow - thanks for spending all that time laying out your ideas. I really, really appreciate it.
I had looked at John Abela's spreadsheet early on in my shelter search but it's good to see it again now that I'm re-evaluating my shelter. I'll spend some time and go through each option again.

1.) This is my gear list: http://lighterpack.com/r/bkwj8w
In regards to my big 4 for the PCT - I'm using the GG Mariposa, a 10 degrees EE Revelation quilt and a small Thermarest Neoair XLite. Local camping is all the same except that I use a 40 degree bag here.
For the PCT I won't be sending anything ahead except for the few places it's required and probably won't use a bounce box. I have a friend who lives in the US who has offered to send me any gear in case I need it so it is feasible that I can just use a tarp and then have the bugnet sent to me just before I hit the mosquitos.

2.) I was planning on forgoing my UL desires and having the Hexamid made in .74oz CF. We have some super scratchy bushes in some places here in Oz so I would like to have more abrasion protection.
There's an awesome Australian camping resource (bushwalkingaustralia) and I have used it to read quite a few reviews, discussions and have asked questions about how CF is here and as long as I exercise care in site selection and don't leave the tent out in the sun all day, it should be fine.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I don't mind gaining a couple of grams for simplicity. I don't want to fiddle around too much and just kind of want to spend two mins chucking up my shelter and letting that be that. Oh man, maybe I should just go back to the tarp and bivy combo... except this time with a light and fancy CF tarp!

DuneElliot
02-18-2016, 09:53
2.) I was planning on forgoing my UL desires and having the Hexamid made in .74oz CF. We have some super scratchy bushes in some places here in Oz so I would like to have more abrasion protection.
There's an awesome Australian camping resource (bushwalkingaustralia) and I have used it to read quite a few reviews, discussions and have asked questions about how CF is here and as long as I exercise care in site selection and don't leave the tent out in the sun all day, it should be fine.

Honestly, at the end of the day, I don't mind gaining a couple of grams for simplicity. I don't want to fiddle around too much and just kind of want to spend two mins chucking up my shelter and letting that be that. Oh man, maybe I should just go back to the tarp and bivy combo... except this time with a light and fancy CF tarp!

I also went with the 0.74oz CF for my Duplex. Like you, I'd rather have the extra couple of ozs of weight for a more durable tent/tarp.

colorado_rob
02-18-2016, 10:19
I also went with the 0.74oz CF for my Duplex. Like you, I'd rather have the extra couple of ozs of weight for a more durable tent/tarp.That's such a tough call. I bought the std. 0.51 ounce, used it for over half or so of an AT, no real sign of wear yet. But will it hold up for an entire PCT and a lot of shorter hikes? We'll see...

All said and done, if I were buying again, I'd probably go with the 0.74. I'm probably going to buy a Duplex here soon as my wife will be retiring in a year and we plan on hitting a lot of long trails. I'll most likely get the 0.74, even though it only comes in the drab olive-green.

One other note: there is a bit of a learning curve using these fine, high performance tents. Practice pitching it a few times, getting a nice taught pitch, like as shown on the Hexamid site:

http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml

Also, the front stake-out point is absolutely critical to be bomber-strong. I carry one extra long Ti tent stake for this point, and I usually put an extra rock on or in front if it as well. All the other stake-out points are redundant and I use small, UL Ti stakes for those.

heatherfeather
02-18-2016, 10:22
I also opted for the 0.74 cuben for the solo plus I am expecting to receive soon. I had a 0.51 tarp with no netting as my first cuben shelter. I was trying to use it as a modular setup with separate bug net and bathtub floor, but didn't like the bug net hanging right in my face, and the fiddle-factor was kind of high. Plus, if I am solo, I have my dog with me, and she tends to get up and wander. I'd rather her not be eaten by coyotes. With all that factoring in, I opted for the enclosed bug screen on this new shelter. I am also planning on using polycro as the groundsheet, though I do have the bathtub floor to fit the solo plus. I may keep it for if I am going somewhere particularly soggy and rainy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lyle
02-18-2016, 10:27
Before you make your final decision, I just wanted to point out one drawback to the Solo/Solo+. When properly guyed out, they do require a quite large area, larger than your current Notch. I have used the Solo+ both on the AT and in the Sierras, and have never had a problem with finding a spot, but that may become more critical if you are hiking in the "bubble" and wish to stay at the popular camping spots.

Just something else to consider.

Water Rat
02-18-2016, 10:45
That's such a tough call. I bought the std. 0.51 ounce, used it for over half or so of an AT, no real sign of wear yet. But will it hold up for an entire PCT and a lot of shorter hikes? We'll see...

All said and done, if I were buying again, I'd probably go with the 0.74. I'm probably going to buy a Duplex here soon as my wife will be retiring in a year and we plan on hitting a lot of long trails. I'll most likely get the 0.74, even though it only comes in the drab olive-green.

This. ^

After trying many different shelters over the past few years, I have finally narrowed my search down to the Solo Plus. Has nothing to do with the fact the Zpacks logo is on it. It just is the best design to suit my needs. BUT... The only thing that has kept me from placing the order is that I want to make sure I am not making a mistake by going with the standard weight cf. If the heavier weight truly does extend the life of the shelter, then that is a no brainer to me... It seems like most do just fine with the standard weight cf. Does anyone know of any reviews that have been done on the differences between standard cf and the heavier cf?

I like to do my research before I plunk down my hard-earned money. :D

greensleep
02-18-2016, 10:48
I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm starting to get worried that I've made a poor decision in tents for my planned 2017 thru hike attempt. After looking at every "lightweight" tent I could find on the internet and reading blogs, I purchased a Zpacks cuben fiber Solplex. I'm 6'1" and have set the tent up a few times already to get it down to a science. I've spent a couple of nights in it and find it maybe a bit more confining than I hoped. Is the Duplex that much roomier? I also have a Notch from Tarptents. Any opinions on which I should start with?

Lyle
02-18-2016, 11:10
Greensleep,

I've found that over thinking these things will drive you nuts and cost a ton of money. You have two very high quality tents to choose from, either of which will probably work just fine. Test them both out some more in your back yard, including some nasty weather, see which you prefer, then go hike!

Final option for me would be to contact Joe and see if he would exchange for a Duplex, if you really think you are too cramped. It appears you have plenty of vestibule space to keep your pack in. My normal hiking partner has a notch, and that is where his pack lives - in the vestibule.

heatherfeather
02-18-2016, 11:18
I've been following this thread for a while now and I'm starting to get worried that I've made a poor decision in tents for my planned 2017 thru hike attempt. After looking at every "lightweight" tent I could find on the internet and reading blogs, I purchased a Zpacks cuben fiber Solplex. I'm 6'1" and have set the tent up a few times already to get it down to a science. I've spent a couple of nights in it and find it maybe a bit more confining than I hoped. Is the Duplex that much roomier? I also have a Notch from Tarptents. Any opinions on which I should start with?

At your height, I would at least take a look at the altaplex. I like the simplicity of a single-pole setup, and there is plenty of room to spread out. I am 5'10" and really like my solo plus, which has the same design as the altaplex, I believe. I personally like a little more space in my shelter in case I need to be in it for a while to escape bugs and/or rain. And with the zpacks shelters, there is remarkably little weight penalty for using a larger shelter. The duplex would be even more room, particularly headroom, but slightly more work to pitch. Might be a worthwhile trade off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuneElliot
02-18-2016, 12:40
That's such a tough call. I bought the std. 0.51 ounce, used it for over half or so of an AT, no real sign of wear yet. But will it hold up for an entire PCT and a lot of shorter hikes? We'll see...

One other note: there is a bit of a learning curve using these fine, high performance tents. Practice pitching it a few times, getting a nice taught pitch, like as shown on the Hexamid site:

http://zpacks.com/shelter/hexamid_plus.shtml

Also, the front stake-out point is absolutely critical to be bomber-strong. I carry one extra long Ti tent stake for this point, and I usually put an extra rock on or in front if it as well. All the other stake-out points are redundant and I use small, UL Ti stakes for those.

It's actually a spruce green for the heavier .74oz, not olive. Having looked at some pictures from other people who own it I believe it is definitely more the color of faded pine needles.

Dogwood
02-18-2016, 15:05
Hi Dogwood,
Wow - thanks for spending all that time laying out your ideas. I really, really appreciate it.
I had looked at John Abela's spreadsheet early on in my shelter search but it's good to see it again now that I'm re-evaluating my shelter. I'll spend some time and go through each option again.

1.) This is my gear list: http://lighterpack.com/r/bkwj8w
In regards to my big 4 for the PCT - I'm using the GG Mariposa, a 10 degrees EE Revelation quilt and a small Thermarest Neoair XLite. Local camping is all the same except that I use a 40 degree bag here.
For the PCT I won't be sending anything ahead except for the few places it's required and probably won't use a bounce box. I have a friend who lives in the US who has offered to send me any gear in case I need it so it is feasible that I can just use a tarp and then have the bugnet sent to me just before I hit the mosquitos.

Wow you. You have a very nice light wt kit WolfGirl. Thx for posting your PCT kit. I now better understand where you're at.

First, let me offer a consideration for you as far as your UL mindset. Going UL does not have to be centered on always choosing the lightest wt option! Do NOT make the mistake assuming it does as so many transitioning to ever lighter wt styles or chasing UL nirvana do. You do not forgo your UL style by choosing .74 CF. :) It's in line with UL styles. It MAY be what's best overall for you within a larger UL picture. Although many are fine with .51 CF shelters, IMHO it's a SUL material. Don't take my word for it. Look around as I'm sure you have. It may be an option in the UL/SUL markets but it isn't typically the default CF wt tarps, tarp tents, mids, etc are made from by other UL cottage manufacturers. Ask yourself why that may be? ZP may be on the cusp overall of manufacturing SUL gear or at least redefining UL to a lower wt range? IMHO, it is.

Second, reducing your wt is NOT solely about gear or blazing ahead to buy ever newer lighter wt gear. For example, tactics play a huge role, sometimes an overwhelming larger role, in reducing wt carried outside of gear. For example, on your PCT hike effectively managing water logistics reducing unnecessary water wt hauls will FAR surpass the 10 ounces or so saved in shelter wt by going from a TT Notch to a Hex Solo or Solo+. Seems like a money saving wt saving approach that fits your situation, NO? You're already seeing the role of tactics in dropping wt carried by considering only having an inner net mailed to you when needed like maybe in Oregon. That alone saves another 7-10 ounces at times. No extra wee bit lighter oh so much UL/SUL greater pricey gear purchases needed. :rolleyes:

In regards to your budget: From what I'm currently noting I've been seeing more inner nets being resold in used condition in combination with tarps as a combo deal or sold separately than Hex Solo and Solo+(in tent config w/ attached netting). You could buy your ZP Hex Solo or Solo+ Tarp ONLY new and see how it goes. Make a DIY inner net(various plans are on line) or buy a used inner net down under to save do re mi. Lots of Aussies I meet on trail in the U.S. possibly providing a gear resale market in OZ. And, if you're budget is lacking to buy yourself into a new or even used UL/SUL shelter system perhaps ZP isn't the way to go at all. I know that suggestion is unfathomable to some on the UL nirvana merry go round but consider a ZP CF separate floor is rather pricey especially if other options can be used in some situations that don't require it. Not all employing an UL backpacking style perceive CF as the Holy Grail to achieve that end. CF is $$$! A Hex can be bought cheaper without a ZP CF floor. That's one of the aspects I liked about Abela's spreadsheet; he breaks down the cost per gram and per oz of the various enclosed shelter systems. You can see where your do re mi is being allocated. You can compare the cost savings by tweaking your system differently. Here's what Shonyru(6' 1") did which is what I've similarly been doing in my tarp shelter systems for at least 10 yrs to go cheaper and lighter w/ my Hex Solo+ and to make it work for me at 6'4"(it's a tight fit though as far as tarp coverage!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y73uyGOyO5k

UL food for consideration: in the event you go to a 30-40* decently made quilt to replace the 40* sleeping bag and opt for a Hex you possibly could at times go to a lower volume hence hopefully lower wt backpack with your current kit and if you have your tactics dialed down. IMO you have an overall good compact UL kit, are 5'2", and already have tarp/bivy experience so I would be considering you might not need a larger footprint space or shelter especially if you mainly solo hike. A Hex Solo would likely be all you need with a Solo+ being a mini Aussie Queen's palace for you. :p

Love Aussies. Never met one I didn't like. Have a great hike. Hope to see you on trail so you can share your revelations. :sun

Dogwood
02-18-2016, 15:21
FWIW, look at ZP's Solo+ pics of Matt at 6' 2". Looks like he has the room he needs with the permanently attached netting and removable Solo+ CF bathtub floor. With the beak/flaps down he has his gear storage. He also has storage under the Hex Solo+ but not in his bathtub. Also depending on what floor one goes with (CF ZP Solo/CF ZP Duplex bathtub, or just a silny/CF/polycro/Tyvek flat ground sheet the area to store gear outside or inside the bathtub but under the Hex can be altered.

colorado_rob
02-18-2016, 23:33
A bit of thread drift, but when I saw this Gossamer Gear article, I thought of the OP in this thread:

http://walkingwomad.com/2016/02/10/pct-15-gear-review/?utm_source=Newsletter+Subscribers+-+Combined&utm_campaign=978629248b-Ultralight_Gear2_17_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bda6bed9e7-978629248b-233433333&mc_cid=978629248b&mc_eid=553d27dacc

Nice little writeup on one young woman's PCT gear list. Nice pics too.

wolfgirl
02-19-2016, 05:52
Wow you. You have a very nice light wt kit WolfGirl. Thx for posting your PCT kit. I now better understand where you're at.

First, let me offer a consideration for you as far as your UL mindset. Going UL does not have to be centered on always choosing the lightest wt option! Do NOT make the mistake assuming it does as so many transitioning to ever lighter wt styles or chasing UL nirvana do. You do not forgo your UL style by choosing .74 CF. :) It's in line with UL styles. It MAY be what's best overall for you within a larger UL picture. Although many are fine with .51 CF shelters, IMHO it's a SUL material. Don't take my word for it. Look around as I'm sure you have. It may be an option in the UL/SUL markets but it isn't typically the default CF wt tarps, tarp tents, mids, etc are made from by other UL cottage manufacturers. Ask yourself why that may be? ZP may be on the cusp overall of manufacturing SUL gear or at least redefining UL to a lower wt range? IMHO, it is.

Second, reducing your wt is NOT solely about gear or blazing ahead to buy ever newer lighter wt gear. For example, tactics play a huge role, sometimes an overwhelming larger role, in reducing wt carried outside of gear. For example, on your PCT hike effectively managing water logistics reducing unnecessary water wt hauls will FAR surpass the 10 ounces or so saved in shelter wt by going from a TT Notch to a Hex Solo or Solo+. Seems like a money saving wt saving approach that fits your situation, NO? You're already seeing the role of tactics in dropping wt carried by considering only having an inner net mailed to you when needed like maybe in Oregon. That alone saves another 7-10 ounces at times. No extra wee bit lighter oh so much UL/SUL greater pricey gear purchases needed. :rolleyes:

In regards to your budget: From what I'm currently noting I've been seeing more inner nets being resold in used condition in combination with tarps as a combo deal or sold separately than Hex Solo and Solo+(in tent config w/ attached netting). You could buy your ZP Hex Solo or Solo+ Tarp ONLY new and see how it goes. Make a DIY inner net(various plans are on line) or buy a used inner net down under to save do re mi. Lots of Aussies I meet on trail in the U.S. possibly providing a gear resale market in OZ. And, if you're budget is lacking to buy yourself into a new or even used UL/SUL shelter system perhaps ZP isn't the way to go at all. I know that suggestion is unfathomable to some on the UL nirvana merry go round but consider a ZP CF separate floor is rather pricey especially if other options can be used in some situations that don't require it. Not all employing an UL backpacking style perceive CF as the Holy Grail to achieve that end. CF is $$$! A Hex can be bought cheaper without a ZP CF floor. That's one of the aspects I liked about Abela's spreadsheet; he breaks down the cost per gram and per oz of the various enclosed shelter systems. You can see where your do re mi is being allocated. You can compare the cost savings by tweaking your system differently. Here's what Shonyru(6' 1") did which is what I've similarly been doing in my tarp shelter systems for at least 10 yrs to go cheaper and lighter w/ my Hex Solo+ and to make it work for me at 6'4"(it's a tight fit though as far as tarp coverage!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y73uyGOyO5k

UL food for consideration: in the event you go to a 30-40* decently made quilt to replace the 40* sleeping bag and opt for a Hex you possibly could at times go to a lower volume hence hopefully lower wt backpack with your current kit and if you have your tactics dialed down. IMO you have an overall good compact UL kit, are 5'2", and already have tarp/bivy experience so I would be considering you might not need a larger footprint space or shelter especially if you mainly solo hike. A Hex Solo would likely be all you need with a Solo+ being a mini Aussie Queen's palace for you. :p

Love Aussies. Never met one I didn't like. Have a great hike. Hope to see you on trail so you can share your revelations. :sun

Thanks again, Dogwood. As someone with two American students as housemates - the feeling is mutual!! Love you guys. My heart actually melted a little bit when I logged on this morning and saw all of these awesome and incredibly helpful responses. *blushes*

Also- thanks for the reassurance regarding UL. I think I have gotten a bit bogged down with numbers and am forgetting the BIG picture here.

I am sold on going for the .74 oz Solo Hexamid tarp and after having looked at a whole lot of net options (including the video you linked) I have decided to put my passable sewing skills to the test and DIY my own bug net. I'm going to make something similar to the SMD Serenity net with its eight inch bathtub floor - except I think I'll be okay with about 6 inches. You're right - I found a lot of great guides online. I love that I can save on weight by ditching the inner at times and still have a nice and protective floor!
I also feel a bit more relieved financially knowing I can save a bit of money by forgoing the CF inner. Once I sell my Notch I'm only out by about $100AUD... not bad! I'm also pleasantly surprised at how reasonably priced no see um mesh material is.

wolfgirl
02-19-2016, 05:53
A bit of thread drift, but when I saw this Gossamer Gear article, I thought of the OP in this thread:

http://walkingwomad.com/2016/02/10/pct-15-gear-review/?utm_source=Newsletter+Subscribers+-+Combined&utm_campaign=978629248b-Ultralight_Gear2_17_2016&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_bda6bed9e7-978629248b-233433333&mc_cid=978629248b&mc_eid=553d27dacc

Nice little writeup on one young woman's PCT gear list. Nice pics too.

Thanks, colorado_rob!
I loved her JMT gear reviews I read a while back and am so happy you linked this!

Dogwood
02-19-2016, 16:16
Wrote this up earlier. Just posting now after your latest posts She Wolf. :D

Since $$$ was indicated as a factor in shelter set ups have you considered utilizing the tarp you already used in the tarp/bivy combo? Could that tarp be retrofitted with an UL inner net and/or possible flat ground sheet without the inner net at times saving $$$ AND wt? If up front lump sum $$$ cost of CF gear is at issue buy in phases. Buy or make an inner that will fit your current tarp with it also fitting a lighter wt tarp, maybe a CF Hex, purchased as $$$ becomes more available.

For the PCT doing a typical NOBO with the fairer weather scenario compared to NZ or east coast U.S.(like the AT) you will likely not require an inner most of the hike. As noted by you, that you should always keep in mind, by the simple act of carrying less(no bivy, no inner) when conditions allow umm that saves wt too. Many times the "need" for a fully enclosed tent system is more of a psychological want than a "need." Although nice to keep wind blown sand at bay a bit would you absolutely need a bathtub floor for drier less wet conditions such as a typical PCT NOBO taking into account you likely have somewhat advanced good campsite selection experience using the tarp/bivy in the past? It seems like the bathtub floor option is chosen by some people because they want to flop down with little regard to site selection. You may be beyond that? I say again if $$$ is a concern as you say a flat polycro ground sheet makes not only dollar sense but will be LIGHTER WT than even a ZP CF bathtub or ZP CF flat groundsheet. Nice to have a ground sheet that cost $4, is easy to replace, easy to mend tears/holes(common duck or electrical tape sticks to polycro too), and also saving wt plugging into an UL philosophy verses a $80 -$120 CF sheet, NO? In light of the $$$ issue being raised the $$$ of CF HAS TO be considered!

Sometimes there is an implication or impression that everyone with an UL even SUL backpacking style has oodles of pricey CF gear. This definitely is NOT SO! Although I have owned/do own various CF gear including 4 tarps/shelters, backpacks(one), stuff sacks, etc and am an ardent ULer CF gear is not the be all end all of achieving an efficient UL or even SUL backpacking style as some may assume.

DuneElliot
02-19-2016, 16:53
Sometimes there is an implication or impression that everyone with an UL even SUL backpacking style has oodles of pricey CF gear. This definitely is NOT SO! Although I have owned/do own various CF gear including 4 tarps/shelters, backpacks(one), stuff sacks, etc and am an ardent ULer CF gear is not the be all end all of achieving an efficient UL or even SUL backpacking style as some may assume.

+1 on this. While keeping my pack as light as possible due to my size I didn't buy the Duplex for the weight savings. I have the SMD Lunar Solo also which is only a couple of ozs heavier in Silnylon, and actually comparable in floor space. A CF tent for me was more about rain protection than weight savings. I have no desire to purchase a backpack (I have the Arc Haul in Dyneema for the durability), tarp, stuff sacks or other things (except maybe a poncho) in CF...the cost to weight ratio efficiency just isn't there for me, and I'd prefer an extra couple of ozs in weight for superior durability. My tent will be the only CF I invest in.

wolfgirl
02-19-2016, 22:54
Wrote this up earlier. Just posting now after your latest posts She Wolf. :D

Since $$$ was indicated as a factor in shelter set ups have you considered utilizing the tarp you already used in the tarp/bivy combo? Could that tarp be retrofitted with an UL inner net and/or possible flat ground sheet without the inner net at times saving $$$ AND wt? If up front lump sum $$$ cost of CF gear is at issue buy in phases. Buy or make an inner that will fit your current tarp with it also fitting a lighter wt tarp, maybe a CF Hex, purchased as $$$ becomes more available.

For the PCT doing a typical NOBO with the fairer weather scenario compared to NZ or east coast U.S.(like the AT) you will likely not require an inner most of the hike. As noted by you, that you should always keep in mind, by the simple act of carrying less(no bivy, no inner) when conditions allow umm that saves wt too. Many times the "need" for a fully enclosed tent system is more of a psychological want than a "need." Although nice to keep wind blown sand at bay a bit would you absolutely need a bathtub floor for drier less wet conditions such as a typical PCT NOBO taking into account you likely have somewhat advanced good campsite selection experience using the tarp/bivy in the past? It seems like the bathtub floor option is chosen by some people because they want to flop down with little regard to site selection. You may be beyond that? I say again if $$$ is a concern as you say a flat polycro ground sheet makes not only dollar sense but will be LIGHTER WT than even a ZP CF bathtub or ZP CF flat groundsheet. Nice to have a ground sheet that cost $4, is easy to replace, easy to mend tears/holes(common duck or electrical tape sticks to polycro too), and also saving wt plugging into an UL philosophy verses a $80 -$120 CF sheet, NO? In light of the $$$ issue being raised the $$$ of CF HAS TO be considered!

Thanks again, Dogwood.
Definitely a lot to consider again!
Unfortunately my tarp is of such bad quality that I chucked it when I got the Tarptent. It was a rejected tarp from my Duke of Ed days (a kind of Commonwealth version of Scouts... or maybe you guys have it over there - not sure).
So since I want to get a new shelter - I figure I may as well go for the lightest. I consider it a long term investment and I take very good care of my gear so plan on using it well beyond the PCT.
In terms of money - I can definitely afford it but as I'm doing my phd when I return, I just like the idea of saving as much as I can for when I return to my poor student life haha.
However, I don't mind spending a bit more for lighter gear but as the the crappy exchange rate means that I'm now paying 30% more than I would have one year ago - it kind of hurts paying that much for an entire cuben fibre shelter. Just buying the tarp is for me a no brainer and in terms of my priorities and the amount I camp - is totally worth it for me.

In terms of the using polycro as a groundsheet - I would happily use a bigger amount of it and arrange it so that it folds up a little. That's a fantastic idea making my one shelter super modular - a tarp, an optional mesh inner and an optional polycro bathtub floor that I would use 100% of the time in places like NZ.
Only one problem - polycro itself cheap but the shipping of just that small amount of material over here to Oz is super expensive... e.g $49 from GG... I know it's a lot less expensive that CB but I can't bring myself to pay that much for shipping! If only I'd gotten it when I bought my backpack!
Do you know of any other similar materials (obviously tyvek is too heavy) that fall in the same weight range or should I just bite the bullet and order from the U.S? There are a few ebay options that call themselves polycro but I'm dubious that they'll be as light.

Thanks a million for all this. You're literally helping me design a fully modular, versatile, awesomely lightweight (and cheaper!) shelter!!! I'm extremely excited :D :D

wolfgirl
02-20-2016, 03:08
Happy to say I found some polycro in a local hardwear store that is advertised as being used for window insulation. :D

Dogwood
02-21-2016, 01:55
I hear a Shewolf howling under a full moon. :D