PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Clothing Items?

DrewNC2005
12-14-2005, 09:21
As I'm shopping around for gifts for the holidays, I want to get people gifts that I know they'll like (myself included ;)). I wanted to see if you all could post some of your favorite hiking clothes in the following categories:

1. Shirt
2. Pants/Shorts
3. Light Jacket
4. Baselayer
5. Socks

Don't feel restricted to those - if there is something else that you won't leave home without, let me know.

Valmet
12-14-2005, 09:41
I love fingerless wool gloves. They are the most increadible item you can have. When it is cold and you want to cook and do other things the ability to wear gloves and still use your fingers is priceless.

Almost There
12-14-2005, 09:42
1. Patagonia R5 shirt, lighter than the midweight longsleeve zip, and to me more comfortable.
2. Mountain Hardwear Mountain Kilt, won't start selling again till spring, but this is my choice to hike in all weather.
3. Marmot Driclime
5. Smartwool Socks

Whistler
12-14-2005, 11:08
1- Smartwool, Ibex, and Icebreaker shirts are really, really nice. I also like the plain-jane Starter shirts you can find at Wal-Mart.
2- I like running shorts by Brooks and Asics. I haven't found any hiking pants I really really like yet.
3- My Montane Featherlite gets used every day. Love it.
4- Same as shirts, I guess. I'll add in that I also like 1/2-zip microfleece longsleeve pullovers.
5-Smartwool Adrenaline and Running mini-crew models are my favorites.

As it turns out, I'm wearing 4 of those 5 right now.:)
-Mark

bulldog49
12-14-2005, 11:13
Patagonia Puffball pullover - very warm, compressible and light wt
Patagonia Dragonfly windshirt - weighs only 3 oz
Smartwool Socks
REI Sahara pants
Patagonia Strider T

Lone Wolf
12-14-2005, 11:16
Fleece thong.

Footslogger
12-14-2005, 11:17
When all is said and done I'd have to pick my Primaloft Pullover as my one single favorite clothing item. Been tweaking my gear/clothing for quite a while now and really like pretty much everything I own but the one item that has so much flexibility and comfort (warmth for weight) is that pullover. Got it from MEC during my thru in 2003. Weighs about 10oz and packs into it's own pocket. When not being used it doubles as a great pillow. Sheds light rain and even when the outer surface is damp the garment still keeps me warm.

If I was going to buy one item for a hiker it would be something like that. Cost me about $60 in 2003. Patagonia makes a similar item but it costs more (unless you can find one on sale).

'Slogger

Lanthar Mandragoran
12-14-2005, 11:42
1 - C9 Dry (Target)
4 - Merona euro-boxer briefs (target, hella comfortable)
5 - Smart 'low cut' socks, running or adrenaline

ZEKE #2
12-14-2005, 11:47
:sun Smart Wool Socks!

Uncle Silly
12-14-2005, 11:59
Fleece thong.

WAAAAY too much info there, L.Wolf....
:datz

SGT Rock
12-14-2005, 12:08
1. Shirt - Wal Mart Under Armor knockoff.
2. Pants/Shorts - Swim trunks with the "panties" cut out.
3. Light Jacket - Army surplus parka liner under my rain jacket.
4. Baselayer - Army surplus brown polypro underwear.
5. Socks - Thorlo light hikers.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2005, 12:11
WAAAAY too much info there, L.Wolf....
:datz
I think The Underwear Guys sell them. Peaches wore one in the parade at Trail Days a coupla years ago. Cops made her cover up.:)

The Cheat
12-14-2005, 12:19
Campmor Polartec fleece jacket

Mags
12-14-2005, 12:54
1. Shirt - Polyeter Dress Shirt bought at thrift store for $4. Great sun protection and a wonderful conversation piece. Because it is button down, I can wear it in town with a tie for more formal conditions.
http://gallery.backcountry.net/cr05/abs

2. Pants/Shorts - $10 Target Champion brand shorts. I love them! Use them for running too. Snazzy glow in the dark effects.
http://gallery.backcountry.net/maroonbells05/aaa

3. Light Jacket Was a big fan of the Marmot DriClime windshirt. Light, warm, windprooft, water resistant. Took every where from high peaks in Colorado in the winter to the PCT to the Colorado Trail to the Utah deserts. Finally wore it out. When I bought a new jacket, went with the MontBell Light Shell Jacket instead. Lighter and less expensive!
https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2101&hinban=2306320

4. Baselayer Cheapest I can find! Usually generic blue polypue and/or army surplus variants. Cheap, warm, light. Who care if it stinks morethan the expensive stuff. We all stink after a while! :) http://www.fatiguesarmynavy.com/store/item/US0909

5. Hat Sad, Sad story. I had a $6 boonie type hat from Target. It was great. Wide for sun protection, kept the rain off my head. After many, many miles was full of sweat, dirt and salt stains. Had character! When I went to Italy this fall, half my gear was missing when it finally caught up to me in Rome. My hat was gone. WAAAAAAAAAAAH!
http://gallery.backcountry.net/cr05/abw
Long live the hat!

Went to another boonie style hat at the army-navy store. Looks too damn new! Gotta break it in.. My version cost $10 or so. The online versions are more $$$. http://www.armynavyshop.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?store_code=army-navy-shop&screen=PROD&product_code=rc5542

What can I say..I get an affinity for old, beatup gear! ;)

Doctari
12-14-2005, 13:16
1. Shirt: White blaze Tees, one for hiking in, one for sleeping in, alternated at each town stop.
2. Pants/Shorts: neither, I wear a homemade wool kilt. I do have a very light pair of shorts for swimming, doing laundry, etc. No brand name, sorry.
3. Light Jacket: don't usually carry one per se, I do have a light weight rain jacket from Totes (discontinued model) that with a light wt wool sweater vest is my "cold weather gear"
4. Baselayer: Polypro shirt, winteralls panty hose.
5. Socks: Smart wool, no liners

etc:
Nylon ball cap, mine has a flap that hangs down, great for those windy or buggy days. Isn't water proof, but during a light rain, is sufficiant. (rain jacket has a hood)
Camp shoes: For a gift, find the lightest aqua shoes you can, mine are from (my favorite store) Big Lots about 8 OZ each. OR, I alternate with carrying men's Ballett slippers, total weight 2 OZ.

More hints for the avid backpacker: Make a "Pepsi can" type stove for the craft challenged hiker on your list. Include instructions for use.
Include in any gift to a hiker some: moleskin, Polar pure (or similar), Film/memory chip for the camera they have for hiking.
Big ticket item: a food dryer. Be sure they would use it, be subtle tho.

Some things I would want as hiker gifts, maybe others would too: a phone card, heavy duty zip lock bags, Current data book / AT companion, Membership in an AT club, Duct tape, Seam seal & or water proofing stuff, Map / document waterproofing solution, More duct tape :clap

My $0.02

Doctari.

soulrebel
12-14-2005, 15:12
Things that I've bought in the last year that RAWK!!!
Icebreaker then smartwool,
Patagucci Houdini windtop/bottoms,
smartwool balaclava,
coolmax wrightsocks,
asics trailrunners,
jetboil=breakfast in bed
nike oregon 4 watch $90 costco vs $185 retail (compass w/ level, altimeter, barometric pressure, temperature, 7 alarms-h20,alti, 4-timers, chronograph)
dvd's-trek, running on the sun (135mile badwater run) "^F'in incredible", masters of stone V (climbing), burning time (kayak, base jumps)

Auntie Mame
12-14-2005, 23:09
#1 cold weather shirt, home or trail: long-sleeve light weight Ibex wool "undershirt". Black. Thin, soft, warm, stays dry. I got it as a gift and it was a doozy!

hopefulhiker
12-15-2005, 11:02
Marmot windshirt
Patagonia down Sweater
Silk weight patagonia long underwear
Marmot goretex rainpants
Montrail tennis hiking shoes
Thorlo light hikers
Possom fur nipple warmers

Lanthar Mandragoran
12-15-2005, 12:42
Possom fur nipple warmers

TMI! :eek::datz

betic4lyf
12-15-2005, 21:12
moving on....

i really love my ems techwick shirts, they are awesome, and only soak through on long runs in 90 degree humidity.
socks, would have to be my dahlgren ones. they are wildly conmfy

montrail masais are the greates most comfortable shoes ever.
my 50lap timex ironman works like a champ without being bulky.

nike zoom elites are super awesome running shoes.

if you lite crushed up sparklers it is awesome.

Alligator
12-15-2005, 22:00

What can I say..I get an affinity for old, beatup gear! ;)
I've seen your cookset!