PDA

View Full Version : Trail Fashion

Puddlefish
01-23-2016, 15:18
I've always considered myself pretty much fashion blind. I got a pair of red/yellow/white Vivobarefoot Ultra IIs in the mail this morning, and promptly put them on over my wool socks to walk around the house. Hours later, I forgot about them, and headed out to run some errands. Upon realizing I was wearing these plastic clown shoes in public, I promptly turned the car around.

What does it say about me that I'm willing to subject all of you people to these hideous camp/river crossing shoes, but I'm embarrassed to wear them around my own home town?

Feral Bill
01-23-2016, 15:26
So what do they cost and weigh? Not questions you'll hear on the street.

Uriah
01-23-2016, 15:32
We spend a lot of time concerning ourselves with what others think of us, don't we? When we realize how little they think of us, or how quick they are to judge, we mightn't concern ourselves with it as much. I say wear 'em with pride, ugly though they are!

Puddlefish
01-23-2016, 15:41
So what do they cost and weigh? Not questions you'll hear on the street.

I got them directly at the Vivo website for $53 including shipping. Limited colors and sizes remain. They weight 12.66 ounces for a size 10.5 mens. I'd read some conflicting weights online, and heard that the insoles were removable to save even more weight. The insoles are firmly glued in, in this pair. Apparently gram weanies like to post the weight of a single shoe as if that's particularly pertinent, so we can all praise them on how light their gear is. Freaking gram weanies.

I will rock these babies with pride in the trail towns. Who wouldn't want to pull over and pick up a hitchhiker wearing clown shoes?

juma
01-23-2016, 15:57
i run around all year in the weather appropriate PCT uniform. people are startled and stare but I sure don't care....200 days a year I wear a kmart swim suit and t-shirt:)

Sethern
01-23-2016, 17:18
Heck I run around in Crocs a t-shirt and shorts year round in Ohio. I get looks sometimes but whatever. Lol I think ill be dressing up for the AT. The clothing I will be wearing sure cost a lot more than my normal clothing. heck I think I spent more on my hiking outfit than I did all year on clothing. But I got to say that Columbia Silver Ridge shirt is darn comfy.

u.w.
01-23-2016, 19:49
Mr. McDonald,
Please tell us you didn't forget to wear your big red wig and yellow jump suit with those awesome shoes ;)

u.w.

Bob55
01-23-2016, 20:04
I think you need to hike the AT, so you loose that part of you.

Heliotrope
01-23-2016, 21:49
Those are pretty cool looking shoes! Funny thing how people have such different tastes. Look at the popularity of crocs - utterly hideous IMO. but they sell like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vegan Packer
01-24-2016, 00:34
I got them directly at the Vivo website for $53 including shipping. Limited colors and sizes remain. They weight 12.66 ounces for a size 10.5 mens. I'd read some conflicting weights online, and heard that the insoles were removable to save even more weight. The insoles are firmly glued in, in this pair. Apparently gram weanies like to post the weight of a single shoe as if that's particularly pertinent, so we can all praise them on how light their gear is. Freaking gram weanies.

I will rock these babies with pride in the trail towns. Who wouldn't want to pull over and pick up a hitchhiker wearing clown shoes?

I have the same camp/stream crosser shoes. I only got the blue because they were out of my size, in the red, when I ordered. You certainly won't have to worry about not finding yours in the dark! :D

My liners, including the liner for the tongue, certainly came out. I have the liners put away inside of the plastic in which the shoes arrived. Mine, without the liners, weigh 7.2 ounces (combined) in a size 8.5 or 9 equivalent--I forget exactly which size they are.

Puddlefish
01-24-2016, 01:15
I have the same camp/stream crosser shoes. I only got the blue because they were out of my size, in the red, when I ordered. You certainly won't have to worry about not finding yours in the dark! :D

My liners, including the liner for the tongue, certainly came out. I have the liners put away inside of the plastic in which the shoes arrived. Mine, without the liners, weigh 7.2 ounces (combined) in a size 8.5 or 9 equivalent--I forget exactly which size they are.

Bah! They must have changed them recently. I guess I could rip out the tongues, but the insoles are a thin grey octagonal patterned glued down solidly into a dedicated channel. I'd have to tear or cut them out a tiny chunk at a time. I'll just keep them as they are, rather than butcher them up and lose the

Puddlefish
01-24-2016, 01:19
little comfort they have.

Stupid cheap chromebook posted before I finished!

ChuckT
01-24-2016, 07:49
Mine are the white and black variety, other than they are long for my feet I can't say I'm concerned what they look like.