PDA

View Full Version : Bob Cummings Passed away

peakbagger
01-23-2016, 19:55
http://www.pressherald.com/2016/01/23/pioneering-maine-environmental-reporter-bob-cummings-dies-at-86/

The Scribe
01-23-2016, 20:49
RIP Weary. Thank you for all you did for the outdoor community in Maine.

Doc
01-23-2016, 20:52
Bob was one of a kind. I think few folks understand the major contribution he made to Maine by making public the fact that we in Maine owned the public lots that the paper companies had taken over. Many others will comment on his passing in a more thorough way but he will always be remembered by me as a man who made a real difference to Maine and to the AT. RIP Bob.

Sarcasm the elf
01-23-2016, 20:58
RIP Weary. Thank you for all you did for the outdoor community in Maine.

Is this our member Weary? I didn't know him personally but I always appreciated his knowledge and input as a fellow member over the years. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

rafe
01-23-2016, 21:00
RIP Weary. He's the reason I send $ to MATC every year.

FatMan
01-23-2016, 22:12
Sad news. RIP Weary.

jersey joe
01-23-2016, 22:26
Is this our member Weary? I didn't know him personally but I always appreciated his knowledge and input as a fellow member over the years. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
This was my thought exactly. Is this our Weary? He was a very helpful and knowledgeable guy on this site. Sad news.

Mr. Clean
01-24-2016, 05:51
Terrible news! RIP Weary. You were one of a kind and a true friend of the trail and Maine.

rocketsocks
01-24-2016, 09:57
This was my thought exactly. Is this our Weary? He was a very helpful and knowledgeable guy on this site. Sad news.
Yup he was, condolences to the family and friends.

Bianchi Veloce
01-24-2016, 10:20
I learned a lot from reading his posts.

Cookerhiker
01-24-2016, 12:32
When hiking our favorite trail, how many of us pause to think of, and thank, those whose dedication, perseverance, and hard work made it possible for us to there? Bob Cummings aka Weary was one such person whose efforts secured for us the Maine public lands that we all enjoy. An avid outdoorsman as well as an accomplished journalist, Weary was involved in all aspects of trail and lands management - from initial protection to ongoing conservation. His WhiteBlaze posts were always well-reasoned and articulate, even if he came across as a curmudgeon (a badge I'm sure he wore proudly).

I had the pleasure of meeting Weary at the ATC biennial in 2009, 4 years after he had received a honorary membership award from the ATC. RIP Weary and thank you. You will be missed.

rickb
01-24-2016, 19:50
I don't think I missed a single oneof Weary's posts on White Blaze, and I am grateful for that.

Apart from all that he did for the AT and his home town and Maine he influenced a lot of us in ways big and small.

So sorry to hear of his passing, so glad to have know him-- even if just by the words he wrote for us here.

Mags
01-24-2016, 20:17
A true advocate for the wild lands. His passion will be missed.

imscotty
01-25-2016, 14:17
Wow, I always appreciated Weary's contributions here, I did not know he had done so much for the state of Maine as a journalist. Thank you Weary, and Rest in Peace.

Snowleopard
01-26-2016, 13:21
A true advocate for the wild lands. His passion will be missed.
I'm very grateful for weary's advocacy, his journalism and his posts here on WB. RIP.

August W.
01-26-2016, 13:51
Anyone know of a list of specific public lands he helped preserve / expose as being public? I have backpacked on a couple of Preserves in Maine and would love to know if he played a role in helping me find out about them and have access to them.

imscotty
01-26-2016, 19:45
Anyone know of a list of specific public lands he helped preserve / expose as being public? I have backpacked on a couple of Preserves in Maine and would love to know if he played a role in helping me find out about them and have access to them.

From his obituary (above), the Mahoosuc and Bigelow Preserves.

Trillium
01-26-2016, 20:34
Weary used to invite WBers to join on hikes in the Phippsburg area. Well, on July 5, 2008 my daughter & I did just that. We met Weary and a group of about a dozen Phippsburg hikers and had a wonderful time for the next 3 hrs. We greatly enjoyed talking with and particularly listening to Weary as he was so knowledgable and had a lot of interesting stories. My daughter had worked on the Michigan State student newspaper for several years and they had some shared experiences.

I've thought about him from time to time and wondered how he was doing. I send my sincerest condolences to his family and friends. They can take comfort in treasured memories and his significant beneficial accomplishments. Rest in Peace Weary!

rafe
01-27-2016, 19:05
An article posted by MATLT on Facebook, about Weary

http://matlt.org/2016/01/27/conservation-champion-bob-cummings-passes-away/

Only Tony
05-14-2016, 19:53
I am in Andover Maine staying at the cabin, the home of Honey and Bear. Met Bob Cummings nephew Don and we reflected on Bob's life. It was a good life. The AT was an important part but just one part of Bobs many interests. He will be missed.

The Scribe
05-14-2016, 20:17
Yes, the AT was just one facet of "Weary's" life. We in Maine can rejoice and celebrate him pretty much every time we use Maine's Public Lands. The Bigelow's as just one example. Just today I thought of him as we ventured to his "hometown" of Phippsburg, outside of Bath. We went to the Bates/Morse Mtn. Preserve and I have no idea if he was involved in that or not, but just being in that town brought him to mind. RIP Bob.