PDA

View Full Version : Heineken cook pot.

Doctari
12-14-2005, 13:50
I just made a Heineken cook pot, took almost 3 seconds not counting emptying the beer into another container (ME :) )

I have a can opener called a "safety can" that cuts the bead the top of the can ataches with, this allows me to use the l top as a lid & leaves no sharp edges.

Anyway, what has me excited is, it actually works very well, not that I doubted the advice here at WB. My stove is a bit too big, so Ill be making a smaller one tomorrow, but it heated 1.5 cups of water almost to a boil in about 4 min.
The conditions of the test were not optimal: garage temp about 35 to 40 deg. The "problem" the best place to test it was on the grate of a gas grill, which allowed everything to cool quicker than if sitting on the ground. BUT, even then, it heated the water faster than in my aluminum cook pot under the same conditions. And I cozy cook anyway. I believe that with a smaller diameter stove my results would be much better. So, I have to call youngest son to get a few of those energy drink cans as I cannot stand the taste.

I found the instructions here on the forums monday, can't find them now, brain, not, working, need, sleep.

Doctari.

Seeker
12-14-2005, 14:39
those little V8 tomato/vegetable juice cans work too, if you can't wait for your son to finish an energy drink...

Mouse
12-14-2005, 14:46
Or those gigantic Fosters cans, for big eaters?

jlb2012
12-14-2005, 15:36
I like the Heineken 24 ounce can cause of the ridges on the can that make it look a little bit like a keg - these ridges make it easier to pick up the can with a bandana than the smooth sided Fosters cans.

The "best" burner I have found for the Heineken pot is an empty tea light candle tin - fill it up to the top and its just about right 1.75 cups of water.

for a lid lately I have been using an insulated lid that I made from a Campbells microwave chilli or soup bowl - chop it down to 2 inches high, cover the outside with pipe wrap fiberglass insulation and then cover inside and outside with aluminum foil - its a good snug fit on the Heineken can

potstand is a 3 high by 15 (?) around piece of half inch hardware cloth - very stable fits just inside the bottom ridge of the can

piece of foil or foil covered CCF for a bottom reflector/insulator and a generic windscreen (I make mine from the side walls of coke cans) and away I go

Seeker
12-14-2005, 16:48
Or those gigantic Fosters cans, for big eaters?

no, i meant to make a stove with...