PDA

View Full Version : Pack Problem

mml373
01-24-2016, 13:20
I have an Osprey Exos 58 that is a bit too big, and I'm barely able to pack my current gear in it for a short multiday trip (much less a thru hike). A large reason for this is my tent and poles (a 2-man setup currently), and I have a solution for this issue that will reduce size/weight requirements.

The Exos leaves the top of my bum sore because I am quite thin and it slides too low down my waist.

That said, I have an Atmos 65 AG that I love. I can hike in it, fast and far, with no pain carrying the same gear as the Exos. The issue is that the Atmos weighs over 4 pounds. I have heard that packs below 2 pounds are available and perhaps recommended. I am not sure of the real need to cut 2 pounds off my overall weight IF the Atmos fits comfortably and serves my purposes (it does).

I have some extra capacity with the 65 AG (mine is a small, which I think is 62 liters of capacity). My question is if it is OK to carry a pack this size on a thru-hike...and how much weight can I really shave if I buy a pack with similar capacity? Is 62L too big for a thru-hike? (My hunch is NO, I would rather have the capacity if I needed it--i.e., the 100 mile wilderness, than not have it.)

Appreciate folks' thoughts. My current thinking is to use what is comfortable, paid for, and has sufficient space...i.e., stick with my 65 AG. The Exos 58 is going up for sale. :-)

Thanks in advance,

Michael

nsherry61
01-24-2016, 13:52
I think your reasoning is very sound . . . with exception of wanting to carry more than 50L or so on a thru-hike. I carry an Exos 48 at times, and find it palatial even when carrying a two person tent and a synthetic sleeping bag. It sounds like you'll do fine with your choices, and also might want to explore some smaller volume/weight gear.

In the end, carry what makes you happy. It sounds to me like the Atmos 65 AG is a good pack choice for you at this time. If you change your kit up, as we all do over time, your pack choice may also change, or not. Embrace what you love now. Know that your gear preferences are not, and will never be, set in stone.

Slo-go'en
01-24-2016, 14:02
If the pack fits, wear it. 62L is okay and it's best to have a little extra room then not enough. Of course, if you have too much extra room that can be a problem with load distribution.

colorado_rob
01-24-2016, 14:11
Agree. But: if you want to enjoy your hike more, consider reducing your pack weight a bit. No necessarily the pack itself, if it's comfortable, but you say you have a hard time fitting your gear in your Exos 58, sounds like a lot of extra stuff to me.

Just a suggestion: Throw up a gear list and have it critiqued. Some folks might whine about "yet another gear list". Let 'em whine.

mml373
01-24-2016, 14:49
Just noticed REI has a 50L (47L for my size) version of the Atmos available... might be an option.

mml373
01-24-2016, 15:12
Agree. But: if you want to enjoy your hike more, consider reducing your pack weight a bit. No necessarily the pack itself, if it's comfortable, but you say you have a hard time fitting your gear in your Exos 58, sounds like a lot of extra stuff to me.

Just a suggestion: Throw up a gear list and have it critiqued. Some folks might whine about "yet another gear list". Let 'em whine.

Rob,

Thank you. This is one nut I am trying to crack as I learn/prepare for my hike. I'm not fitting in a whole lot of stuff into the liters I have available...as I sometimes wonder how some through hikers with smaller packs "are fitting all that stuff in there".

My tent and sleeping bag are stuffed into stuff sacks. I wonder if other people are simply stuffing tent/bag into their packs without use of a stuff sack. I do think this would be a more efficient way to pack, although would then be concerned about my sleeping bag getting wet since it wouldn't be in a waterproof stuff sack. Of course, the pack would be covered with a raincover during inclement weather...

I have much to learn...

Appreciate the suggestion to post a gear list. Sounds like a good idea for my purposes (learning to become a more efficient backpacker so that I can increase my odds of a successful through hike).

JohnG10
01-24-2016, 17:34
It seems like you have a lot of stuff in your pack...
What is the weight of your pack when it's fully packed ?
I'd start with posting a list of your gear and asking for advice.

But to answer your original question : if the Exos is uncomfortable for you --- don't even consider taking it on a looooong hike. 2 extra pound for comfort is definitely worthwhile - if none of the lighter options fit you well.

A pack that weighs 2 pounds total - with comfort - is even better :). But it depends on not carrying more than 25 pounds and finding a pack that fits you well. Take a look at ULA, Granite Gear, and SMD packs.

Jake2c
01-24-2016, 22:10
I am sort of going through the same thing. I have a 65 kelty that I find really comfortable but a hair over 5lbs. I tried the AG and it was comfortable but, to save less than .5lbs, I just couldn't pull the trigger. Then I ran across a zpacks arc haul. It is basically an internal frame pack on an external frame and weighs less than 2lbs. Sort of expensive but cut my pack weight by over half and it seems very comfortable though I have yet to put any real miles on it. I absolutely agree with the comments above about using what is comfortable, and if you can carve a little weight that is good too. With the new pack I also don't have to take a pack cover, it is very water resistance. Not trying to sell anything, just explaining how I have solved my similar desires.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2016, 22:22
Its a good pack and on par with what 75% of hikers will be carrying.
No shame in using it, especially if it is comfortable. It will make a 30 lb load feel lighter than a 2 lb pack will, guaranteed, so dont worry about the weight.

But, if you want to be lighter, and your other gear is conducive to it, there are lighter packs that work for small percentage of lighter thru hikers.

Light hikers are over-represented on the internet. Maybe its because they enjoy it more.

RockDoc
01-24-2016, 23:29
That's correct, light hikers are actually scarce on the trail.

colorado_rob
01-25-2016, 00:17
That's correct, light hikers are actually scarce on the trail.No, actually, they are not. They are definitely in the minority down south. They are the majority up north. I wonder why this is????

mml373
01-25-2016, 17:11
No, actually, they are not. They are definitely in the minority down south. They are the majority up north. I wonder why this is????

Heh. I'm a buck thirty two, runner type, soaking wet. But as a reservist I can out ruck my active duty friends, who carry all the time, every time. The challenge for the A.T. Is making the Atmos work, or finding a lighter pack that'll fit my diminutive waist.

Thanks for ask the great advice. I'm going to look into other packs, but it sounds like the Atmos 65 will suffice and I'm aware of folks carrying that size and larger to thru hike.

Googan
01-26-2016, 00:59
I'm no seasoned hiker, but the advice on making a gear list makes sense. Lots of folks will tell you to buy your pack last.

Blissful
01-26-2016, 11:28
If you find a pack is comfortable for you, use it. Just because there are lighter ones doesn't mean it is right for you. Don't get so hung up about the weight - you can actually cut weight in other areas. I hated the Exos. It hurts like crazy. Tents (and sleeping bags) can be tucked into compression sacks to lessen their volume

SteelCut
01-26-2016, 11:38
I know some will disagree but the Exos 58 was the most uncomfortable pack that I've ever used. It hurt my lower back and butt too.

Since you already own the Atmos and find it comfortable, I agree that you should continue to use it and look into other ways of lightening your load.

Rocket Jones
01-26-2016, 12:25
My tent and sleeping bag are stuffed into stuff sacks. I wonder if other people are simply stuffing tent/bag into their packs without use of a stuff sack. I do think this would be a more efficient way to pack, although would then be concerned about my sleeping bag getting wet since it wouldn't be in a waterproof stuff sack. Of course, the pack would be covered with a raincover during inclement weather...

I have much to learn...

Get a white, unscented trash compactor bag from your local hardware or big box store. They'll come in a box of 5 or 10, which will last you for several years. What I do is line my pack with the bag, then stuff my sleeping bag and sleeping clothes into the bottom of the bag. My pad goes in there too, but if you use a z-rest or similar that won't work for you. When all my gear that must stay dry is in there, I squeeze the air out, twist the top closed, fold the "neck" over on itself, and fasten with a rubber hair scrunchie (tougher than a rubber band). My extra clothes go into an oversized ziplock (you can get 5 gallon sized ones at the store), and then I have a "kitchen" stuff sack and a "misc" stuff sack full of first aid, repair kit, emergency stuff and various other goodies.

I still use a pack cover, but I don't count on it to keep my gear dry, especially in really bad weather. The compactor bag ensures that my critical gear stays dry.

misterfloyd
01-26-2016, 12:52
You gotta wear what is going to be comfortable. I understand the desire and want to shave weight, I do it myself.

That being said I have seen all kinds of packs on the trail. Meet through hikers with Gregory Baltoros, Osprey Atmos, ULA's North Face, Gossemer gear etc.

In the end you got to wear what works for you, and what is comfortable for you. I would rather carry one more pound and be comfortable over a long distance as opposed to being one less and miserable.

mml373
01-26-2016, 16:01
Stop here is my gear (see picture). Not shown is my Osprey 65 AT EX pack. List:

Stuff sack 1: 2-man tent with ground cloth and rain fly
Stuff sack 2: 21 degree sleeping bag and extra clothes and gloves and head cover
Sweat shirt
Military issue gortex rain pants and top with liner
Pillow
Large green camp towel and two smaller orange hand towels
Pack rain cover
Mess kit containing stove
Fuel can
Powdered Gatorade in old vitamin bottle
3L Platypus reservoir
GORP

Tent poles
Mirror and water treatment stuff
Sawyer water filter
Knife
Flashlight
Insect spray
Dish soap

Sweat shirt
Stuff sack 1: tent, 2 man
Stuff sack 2: 21 degree sleeping bag, synthetic down, and extra clothes
Some Clif Bars
Shovel
Spork
First Aid kit
TP
6 oatmeal packets. 3 day supply
Wet wipes
Salmon packs to cover 3 dinners. Goes with 3 rice packets at end
Dried fruit

Crocs containing more Clif Bars
Ear plugs
Instant breakfast packets

Missing: peanut butter

This is my typical 2-3 day pack for backpacking trips close to home. I carry full water during late spring and summer...absolutely will not skimp due to the high heat and humidity coupled with rugged terrain here in the Ozarks (some climbs where I hike are rocky and sheer, and require pulling oneself up by small tree trunks). Total weight comes to about 38 pounds.

Weight savings planned: downsizing to an Altaplex tent late 2016. Possible pack replacement. Will save about 5 to 6 pounds.

There ya have it. Critique welcome. I can provide more info on tent and bag brand later if needed, but probably not necessary.

Michael

mml373
01-26-2016, 16:07
Add the AT guide to my list...it'll be joining me for my thru hike.

mml373
01-26-2016, 16:12
Also add sleeping bag liner (10 degree) and replace the 21 degree bag with a 41 degree one during warmer months. Also carrying a therma rest pad, not shown. I will sometimes also bring a small inflatable sleeping bag pad.

Googan
01-26-2016, 22:36
You should weigh each thing individually and list it. This will give you a much clearer idea of what you are going to keep and what you are not going to keep

marc w
01-27-2016, 12:41
Military gortex is way overbuilt and really heavy. I don't even like wearing it in uniform unless I really need it. You could save several pounds by going to a lighter jacket or a packa and rain kilt.

colorado_rob
01-27-2016, 13:54
Military gortex is way overbuilt and really heavy. I don't even like wearing it in uniform unless I really need it. You could save several pounds by going to a lighter jacket or a packa and rain kilt.That was my impression looking at that photo... IS that indeed your rain kit in the upper left? You might do very well, both in weight and bulk rethinking this. It looks crazy heavy and crazy bulky. A 4-ounce rain kilt and an OR Helium II jacket, 10-11 ounces total, will probably do you fine. You don't mention the time you're starting the trail (and I assume it's the AT?), but you might need a slight insulating layer, lots of choices there, I carried a Mont Bell down sweater, 6.5 ounces, packs down to a softball size. Lose the sweatshirt. You don't want cotton anything when backpacking, except maybe a cotton t-shirt for hot weather.

Knife and flashlight? The only knife anyone needs on the AT (and most trails, for that matter) is a 0.7 ounce mini-swiss, lots of little handy tools on it. Flashlight? Look at 3 ounce headlamps. tons of choices for 20-30 bucks. Cook kit? What for? A simple pot is probably all you'd ever need and use. Three towels????? Take one, the lightest. why would you need three? One kind of soap only, some do-it-all suds thing, lots of choices, I use "camp suds".

Just my initial impressions.

egilbe
01-27-2016, 14:17
I never use a shovel, either. Compression sacks are heavy. Some said to use a trash compacter bag earlier. I do and it works perfectly fine. Sleeping bag fills in all the unused space in the pack/bag.

Water is heavy. You can learn to do without carrying more than a liter or two. Plan to not have any water when you get to a water source. Drink your fill at the water source and carry enough to get you almost to the next one. Nothing wrong with walking a mile or two with an empty water bottle. They are lighter when they are empty.

No trash bag for your trash?

Rising3agle
01-28-2016, 05:58
as to the gear - like others have mentioned, you can get some pretty significant weight savings by changing out just a couple things. when I first started, I was carrying a lot of military gear (being retired military, it was what I had on-hand) and my pack was up in the 40lb range. The rain gear, sleeping bag, and a few other items were ridiculously heavy compared to similar civilian items. civ items are a bit more fragile so you can't bash them like we're used to, but the trade-off is definitely worth it.
I'm in the minority on the trail, I like having at least a lightweight "real" knife. I carry an inexpensive Mora knife (4oz - $15) that is a pretty reliable item. I would at a minimum cut out any multi-tools etc and if you have to have a knife, carry a lightweight one.

As for the pack - I went through the same thing. I started with a military pack (USMC ILBE - weighs 9lb empty - hah), moved to my first "real" backpacking pack - an Osprey Atmos 65 AG (large - around 4.5lb), and then in an attempt to go lighter also bought a Osprey Exos 58. I found I really didn't like the Exos, and it sits on my shelf after one 3-day hike. Oh it's lighter, no doubt - but on me, it's not as comfortable as the Atmos. I'm a relatively large guy (6'1", 230lb) so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it, but the Atmos feels like it just wraps on my back and floats there.

One thing you can do with the Atmos (or the Exos for that matter) is lose the "brain". There's a pull-out rain flap that still exists, and losing the brain cuts a few ounces, and if you don't need the space anyway... I like the way the packs work (and look) without the bubble-brain attached.

I've seen a number of through-hikers carrying the Atmos - and I've seen a number of thru-hikers completing with the Atmos. With the YouTubez you can see a huge number of hikers, load-outs, what-not. One guy (JustMike I think on the board here) has some excellent videos put together on his thru-hike -
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm83cGl5Qvghrm7Nt4LmsVg
and he carried one. IIRC, his even wound up with a broken zipper and Osprey replaced it while he was on the trail.

Long way of saying - I wouldn't discount the Atmos. if it works for you, there are plenty of places to cut some weight without moving to a less comfortable pack. If you can get your weight down to around 20lb (completely, very easily doable) you'll notice a huge difference in the carry. Given to do over again I'd probably get the smaller version (Atmos 50) but since I have the 58 already, it's good enough. When I moved from 19lb to 17lb by switching out the Atmos to the Exos - I really didn't notice a huge impact in weight, but I definitely missed the comfort of the Atmos.

YMMV

jefals
01-28-2016, 07:52
don't forget to think about a bear can - that could be a requirement , depending on where you're hiking.