PDA

View Full Version : Mid May start, cold weather concerns?

Jowy
01-24-2016, 20:13
I'm doing a NOBO thru starting in mid May, likely ending somewhere around mid september.

So far my cold weather gear comprises of waterproofs, thermal pant under layer and a down coat.
I'm planning on taking a 30 degree down bag for the whole journey.

Do you think I'll be warm enough for the time of year I'm hiking? Mostly thinking about when I get further North into the hike.

Thanks

egilbe
01-24-2016, 20:19
That should be fine. Probably too warm for the South at that time of year. Think shorts and t-shirts.

Slo-go'en
01-24-2016, 20:24
It will be brutally hot for most of your hike. You won't need any significantly warm clothes until NH or Maine. However, it can get chilly around dawn so having a light fleece jacket or vest is always a good idea.

George
01-24-2016, 21:22
. Think shorts and t-shirts. most days if you wore nothing you would still like to wear less

Scaper
01-24-2016, 22:05
That should be fine but I would get a warmer sleeping bag before the White Mountains. Looking at my journal from my 1990 Northbound t-hike here are the average temps. I had. I started May 5 and finished October 9. The first week in Ga. My average low temps. were in the upper 40`s and highs in the mid 70`s. The Smokies I had rain every day but 1 with temps in the in the 40-55 DEGREE range. Temps.warmed in Va. with lows in the 50`s and highs in mid 70`s. I did have a very cold night at Roan Mountain shelter on June 5th where the temp. dropped to 28 degrees and I was very cold!!!!! My sleeping bag was probably rated at about 40 degrees. In Pa. to Ma. I had warm weather with lows in the 60`s and highs in the 80`s. My bag worked fine. I made the mistake of starting the white mountains with my bag and was fine until Sept. 7th when I stayed at kingsman pond shelter and the temp. dropped to 19 degrees and I was very cold. At Gorham I had a 0 degree bag shipped to and I was toasty in that. The last 2 weeks in Maine the weather was well above average Highs in Low 70`s and lows in 50`s and I slept on top of my bag. I finished on October 9th in on a very cold day. Temp. about 40 degrees and high winds. Your bag should be fine until you get to NH. then I would change to a winter bag.

daddytwosticks
01-25-2016, 08:21
Sleeping bag sounds OK for down south. Will definitely be too hot later on in the mid-Atlantic. Some light insulation for the core/head, like a 100 wt fleece, and a warm hat would do me fine that time of year down south here at the start. I'd keep the fleece and hat even in the warmer weather, but I'm cold natured. :)

Tipi Walter
01-25-2016, 12:02
Gnats in the face and noseeums could be bad so I'd plan on bringing a headnet---like this---

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Mosquito+Head+Net&o1=0&o2=0&o3=143

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2016, 14:28
Coldest part of your hike would typically be in the highest sections of the Whites. If your hike ends in mid-Sept in ME, you should be through the Whites by late-August, and a 30°F bag should be fine.

Jowy
01-26-2016, 11:35
Thanks for the advice guys

QiWiz
01-26-2016, 18:35
Coldest part of your hike would typically be in the highest sections of the Whites. If your hike ends in mid-Sept in ME, you should be through the Whites by late-August, and a 30°F bag should be fine.

+1 you should be fine, especially if your bag is roomy enough to wear your puffy layer

Pajj
01-26-2016, 20:48
You'll definitely be warm with that, if it were me I would probably start with a 100wt fleece like twosticks said (if it would be lighter than your puffy that is) and get my puffy sent to me somewhere around Vermont or New Hampshire depending on when you get there. Don't be fooled by the south though, it can still get cold up in the mountains at night or in the mornings. I finished the trail August 14 last year and it was just starting to get chilly again at night.