PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky sighting

Pages : [1] 2

Squeaky 2
12-14-2005, 14:51
Dr Bob emailed me today with the latest picture of Squeaky in Damascus. 500 miles left to go.
www.damascus.org (http://www.damascus.org)

Stef:jump :jump :jump

the goat
12-14-2005, 14:57
go squeaky! that dude's a badass!

stef- is he doing any night-hiking?

Sly
12-14-2005, 14:59
Nice pic and he looks to be in great health and spirits!

Squeaky 2
12-14-2005, 15:10
go squeaky! that dude's a badass!

stef- is he doing any night-hiking?

Yes he is hiking I believe 14 or 15 hrs a day. I don't even go up my back garden when it gets dark. :D :D

Lone Wolf
12-14-2005, 15:17
He hitched in here yesterday from Dickey Gap, got a ride back out then continued on to Thomas Knob shelter. He'll be in sometime this afternoon and may continue on. He wants to be at Kincora on Friday.

Squeaky 2
12-14-2005, 15:20
He hitched in here yesterday from Dickey Gap, got a ride back out then continued on to Thomas Knob shelter. He'll be in sometime this afternoon and may continue on. He wants to be at Kincora on Friday.

How far is Kincora away?

Stef

Lone Wolf
12-14-2005, 15:21
50.2 miles south of Damascus.

Nean
12-14-2005, 15:24
What's his favorite kind of pizza or food? I live 15 seconds off the trail and at least hope to get a meal in him. He should be here in 5 or so days and will post when I see him. You should read the Conversation w/ Squeaky, Goat. Lots of Q&A about his trip, thoughts, attitude; its easy to see why his mum is so proud.

Sly
12-14-2005, 15:25
L. Wolf, you should try to snag him to have a pint over at Dot's. They do serve Guinness there, don't they? ;)

Lone Wolf
12-14-2005, 15:28
Nah. Just Michelob Amber Bock. He may not want to stay in town tonite or drink a beer. I'm gonna go north on the AT in a few minutes for a run and see if I can bump into him.

Sly
12-14-2005, 15:29
What's his favorite kind of pizza or food? I live 15 seconds off the trail and at least hope to get a meal in him. He should be here in 5 days and will post when I see him. You should read the Conversation w/ Squeaky, Goat. Lots of Q&A about his trip, thoughts, attitude; its easy to see why his mum is so proud.

Where are you at Nean, Allen Gap? I think I have Tuesday off. Stay in touch, maybe I'll be able to make it over.

Squeaky 2
12-14-2005, 15:35
Nah. Just Michelob Amber Bock. He may not want to stay in town tonite or drink a beer. I'm gonna go north on the AT in a few minutes for a run and see if I can bump into him.

Say hi to him if you see him for me. Doubt if he will have a drink only coke , he is not a drinker and has not had one since his birthday last Feb,, kind of you anyway.

Stef

P.S. His favourite meal is a Pizza, the larger the better, Thanks:jump :jump

Nean
12-14-2005, 16:11
Pretty darn close Sly, that might even be when Squeaky comes thru!

Lone Wolf
12-14-2005, 17:40
Just ran the 5 miles nobo, didn't run into him. Will try to catch him in town.

The Solemates
12-14-2005, 18:01
that is so weird. when i clicked on the damascus link, i saw my tent. its the green waypt II in the collage on the top of the page at the left. its from this years trail days. i was tented outside of the place.

warren doyle
12-14-2005, 21:50
Did Squeaky make it into Damascus tonight?

Lone Wolf
12-15-2005, 09:47
As of 7:00 PM last night he hadn't made it. He may have gotten in later. I imagine he's south of here now. Weather is sh***y. Rain and mid-30s.

The Solemates
12-15-2005, 12:17
50.2 miles south of Damascus.

this section is easy. i did it leisurely hiking into trail days last year in 2 days. im sure he'll have no problem.

Nean
12-17-2005, 15:46
He stayed w/ Seiko night before last in Hampton. If he's not going in at Miss Js tonight, 75 miles south- he's probably going past and will be here tomorrow night. I'm going to put out a SQUEAKY, PIZZA & PHONE <<<<< sign, at any rate. So far the weather's holding. When is Boxing day? the 26th? Do you know if he plans to stay in Hot Springs as the miles suggest he won't?

Youngblood
12-17-2005, 22:32
Stef,

I was watching "Appalachian Impressions" on the tube tonight and remembered something about Squeaky when they showed the signpost for the NC/GA border... the last state for Squeaky's sobo AT hike this year and in 2003. Anyhow, look under the 'A' in GA on this photo I took on 1 Nov 2003: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1721&c=665&userid=41 . If you remind Squeaky about this, I bet he will get a special grin on his face when he sees it again.

Youngblood

Squeaky 2
12-18-2005, 05:16
Stef,

I was watching "Appalachian Impressions" on the tube tonight and remembered something about Squeaky when they showed the signpost for the NC/GA border... the last state for Squeaky's sobo AT hike this year and in 2003. Anyhow, look under the 'A' in GA on this photo I took on 1 Nov 2003: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=1721&c=665&userid=41 . If you remind Squeaky about this, I bet he will get a special grin on his face when he sees it again.

Youngblood

No doubt he was up to know good if it is the grin I am thinking about. Cannot wait to see his face again.

Stef:)

Burn
12-18-2005, 08:45
he may have passed by miss janet's. here for the holidays and was hoping to meet him but so far no squeaky. of course he hikes at light speed, so he may have just blown by. there are about 5 places he can come out at to get here. gonna try to see some foot tracks anyways.

Teatime
12-18-2005, 14:09
I took a photo of this same sign about a month ago and I don't see "SQUEAKY" under the A in GA anymore.

Squeaky 2
12-18-2005, 14:29
he may have passed by miss janet's. here for the holidays and was hoping to meet him but so far no squeaky. of course he hikes at light speed, so he may have just blown by. there are about 5 places he can come out at to get here. gonna try to see some foot tracks anyways.

Squeaky spoke to his dad on Friday night and as far as he remembers Squeaky did not have time to stop at Miss Janets. He was hoping to go to his favourite diner there also but just has to dream of pizza.

Stef

Squeaky 2
12-18-2005, 18:15
Squeaky spoke to his dad on Friday night and as far as he remembers Squeaky did not have time to stop at Miss Janets. He was hoping to go to his favourite diner there also but just has to dream of pizza.

Stef

Just spoke to Squeaky and he is heading round to Miss Janets to stay for the evening, weather for the week ahead to be good so he should get decent miles in for the coming week.

Feeling tired tonight so he wants an early night and have a good rest.

Stef

Miss Janet
12-18-2005, 19:07
i am starting to freak out with all this attention i am getting! it is only starting to sink in what it is i am doing. but i am not getting complacent ( is that how to spell it?) i have alot to do in a short time and can only hope the weather is kind to me for once this year!

i am at miss janets getting fed, pampered and looked after as we all do when we stay here!

an early night and an early start and i a hope to be done on the 26th now.

thanks for all the support you are showing me, it means so much to me and it is going to be nice to get to springer mountain and redefine the impossible!

all the best, "SQUEAKY"

Nean
12-19-2005, 21:40
Well, Squeaky should be at Jerrys (Sams;) ) Cabin and under 300m by now. I saw him at Devils Fork just past dark-6:oo. He really enjoyed his visit from Warren and students this morning. I told him I don't think he will need snowshoes when he reaches the Smokys in 2 days. Anyone disagree?
Go Squeaky!!

Sly
12-20-2005, 00:32
Hiya Squeaky! Hey, Nean empty your Whiteblaze.net mailbox, it's full!

hustler
12-20-2005, 00:55
I made it to Jerry Cabin in under two weeks this spring with some complications. Squeaky is way more hard core than me, he should be home free!!! Sail on in to Springer!!!

neighbor dave
12-20-2005, 06:34
yer amazin'!!! go squeaky go!!!!!!:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :welcome :welcome :welcome :banana :banana :banana

Nean
12-20-2005, 16:28
Very nice visit w/ Squeaky this afternoon. He's set for the Smokys and the weather seems to be in his favor for the next week. I'll be meeting him in Hot Springs for dinner, you gonna join us Sly?

Nean
12-21-2005, 01:17
Wonderful dinner tonight, many thanks to Elmer. Squeaky will leave from Hot Springs in the morning. It's amazing what this young man has acomplished; I don't think it compares to anything done before!

Sly
12-21-2005, 01:24
Very nice visit w/ Squeaky this afternoon. He's set for the Smokys and the weather seems to be in his favor for the next week. I'll be meeting him in Hot Springs for dinner, you gonna join us Sly?

Damn, missed the invite! Oh well.

Nean
12-21-2005, 19:37
Squeaky hit the trail this morn, rested and well fed, on his way to Davenport gap shelter.

Squeaky 2
12-22-2005, 02:01
Squeaky hit the trail this morn, rested and well fed, on his way to Davenport gap shelter.

A big thankyou from all at home for your kind hospitality towards Squeaky, it means alot to us, you guys are so kind.
Well we are on our way to the USA and leaving for the airport at 7am our time 22nd Dec and will be at Springer Mountain on 23rd preparing for Squeaky's arrival.
Merry Christmas to you and all trail angels out there, we are all excited to be seeing Matthew very soon.

Happy Holidays to all.

Stef:banana

Nean
12-22-2005, 02:33
from Squeaky: ...."can't wait to see my Mum, Dad, and brother"....
That alone will take him the rest of the way....:)

Teatime
12-22-2005, 06:31
I hope Squeaky's Mum and Dad can take some photos of him finishing on top of Springer and share them with us. This is a historic event!

MTNRUNR
12-22-2005, 11:12
...at Springer???

Sounds as if it should be quite soon!?!?!?

I'm reeeaaallly hoping you make your goal of finishing in this calendar year!!!

Any thoughts of writting a book??? To soon to think of such stuff, I'm sure. Know I'd buy one for sure :D

Wishing everyone the very best this Holiday Season...and ALWAYS ;)

GO SQUEAKY!!! :welcome

leeki pole
12-22-2005, 11:53
...at Springer???

Any thoughts of writting a book??? To soon to think of such stuff, I'm sure. Know I'd buy one for sure :D

Ditto all the above!:clap

neighbor dave
12-22-2005, 17:54
...at Springer???

i'll second that!!!:welcome

MOWGLI
12-22-2005, 19:23
I'll be overnight at the Len Foote Hike Inn (http://www.hike-inn.com/)on the 26th. Is Squeaky still hoping to finish on the 26th?

Nean
12-22-2005, 23:10
If he can get there w/ plenty of daylight, he'll summit on the 27th. Otherwise the 28th. His concern for daylight? So he and his family can enjoy some time on top of Springer. :clap Go Squeaky, Go!! :clap

neighbor dave
12-23-2005, 09:24
yippeeeeeeee:banana :banana :jump :jump :welcome :welcome :clap :clap

Nean
12-23-2005, 20:41
My plans for heading home for Christmas have changed. Now I'm thinking I might try to find Squeaky. I seem to recall him thinking he'd be to Franklin on the 25th. Any updates would be appreciated.

billdnc
12-25-2005, 18:53
Squeaky,
I do not know where you are today - but I know that it is snowing and cold. My son Sean aka Wanderer finished SOBO in October with a 106 day hike. He had perfect weather unlike you. Although he finished on Springer in the rain, wind howling and 32 degrees. He had also lost his rain coat and only had his kilt and t-shirt and sandals. Even though it was so cold when we met him on the summit, he insisted on hiking down the approach trail to the campground. I think that you are very much like my son. I think about you every day. I know that you will be finishing any day now. I picture you in a shelter tonight with some great trail angel food hopefully near Franklin stoking up for the the final dash to Springer.

Go Squeaky!

Regards,

Bill, father of Wanderer.

neighbor dave
12-25-2005, 18:57
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11798
:sun :banana :jump :clap :welcome

alpine
12-25-2005, 18:58
He came thru neels gap sometime last night or very early morning this morning. He was so fast we almost couldn't see him.

A-Train
12-25-2005, 20:05
I thought he was at Fontana with family last night. Don't think he got thru Neels Gap yet, even at his speed

attroll
12-26-2005, 14:04
I got this email today from Squeaky 2 and she wanted me to post it so here it is:

Hi guys, I am in America now and I cannot get access to the Whiteblazes, can you post a message on the forum for me and let everyone know that Squeaky will be in Franklin today 26th at 5pm, he is hoping to finish on Thurs and I will try and post another message when he finishes. He is doing well and we his family saw him at Fontana Dam on 2am Christmas Day, that made our Christmas spending it with him, not sure who saw him at Neels Gap but he was not there.

Thanks stef

TJ aka Teej
12-26-2005, 17:58
Liteshoe informs of a Squeaky interview:

when he went through Miss Janet's
http://www.trailcast.org/

The Solemates
12-27-2005, 11:41
Liteshoe informs of a Squeaky interview:

when he went through Miss Janet's
http://www.trailcast.org/

that was excellent. thanks for posting.

The Solemates
12-27-2005, 12:10
so is he finishing today?

Sloghound
12-27-2005, 18:49
so is he finishing today?

Hello- His mother posted a previous message here that estimates Thurs. the 29th.

Go, Squeaky, GO!

TAMBOURINE
12-27-2005, 20:22
TrailCast - Podcasting on foot » 2005 » December (http://www.trailcast.org/programs/date/2005/12/) he was at Miss Janets house X-Mas here is a live talk with squeaky...way kool God speed Sqeaky

Nean
12-28-2005, 00:14
Squeaky pulled another 40+ today. He's 66m from his goal. I think it's starting to sink in, he's feeling good and seems to look better each time I've seen him. We, Nightstalker and myself, enjoyed dinner with his family last night, very nice to see and be around that kind of love and support.:sun He plans another 40+ tomorrow so on Thursday he will have a short 20:rolleyes: to finish around noon.
:clap :clap :clap GO SQUEAKY GO :clap :clap :clap

12-28-2005, 01:36
I know it is a late post, but he is going to be 20 miles away he will be at Woody gap.(near the hostel) If anyone has contact with the family they can stay with us and I can make sure they get to Springer. Pass my # along (770) 312-7342

neighbor dave
12-28-2005, 06:36
Squeaky pulled another 40+ today. He's 66m from his goal. I think it's starting to sink in, he's feeling good and seems to look better each time I've seen him. We, Nightstalker and myself, enjoyed dinner with his family last night, very nice to see and be around that kind of love and support.:sun He plans another 40+ tomorrow so on Thursday he will have a short 20:rolleyes: to finish around noon.
:clap :clap :clap GO SQUEAKY GO :clap :clap :clap
yippeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:jump :banana :clap :sun :welcome :jump :banana :welcome :sun :clap

Nean
12-28-2005, 07:34
I'll also inform Neel gap of your offer Profile as Squeaky plans to pass thru there between 5 and 6 tonght. He started at 5:30 this am. Would you be able to get him back to the trail around 5am? It may be that he would want to spend this last night on the trail, but I'm guessing. Big party on Springer tommorow!?! Hope to see some folks there.

Sloghound
12-28-2005, 21:57
Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Matthew Hazley. a/k/a Squeaky, has arrived in Neel's Gap, Georgia.

I spoke to him, by telephone, very briefly so as not to intrude too much.

Sloghound

calearn
12-28-2005, 22:21
It appears Squeaky will have been on the trail for a few hours under 240 days (May 4 - Dec 29) and hiked ~7,530 miles (2655 pct + 2700 cdt + 2175 at) for an overall average of ~31.4 miles/day including the zero days in transport between the trails. Amazing!

Flyin' Brian estimated he hiked 7,371 miles in 300 days or 24.6 miles/day. Squeaky is almost hiking an additional 7 miles per day. WOW!

Blister
12-29-2005, 14:39
I am hoping that while I type this unimportant post that Squeaky is finishing and meeting up with his folks. Quite an adventure and a kick ass hiker. My Congrats go out to him.

Wonder
12-29-2005, 16:13
Is he ther yet??? HUh, huh, is he!?!?!?!

neighbor dave
12-29-2005, 16:28
squeaky fer president!!!!!:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :jump :jump :jump :sun :welcome :banana

Whistler
12-29-2005, 17:26
No person except a natural born citizen, or a citizen of the United States, at the time of the adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the office of President; neither shall any person be eligible to that office who shall not have attained to the age of thirty five years, and been fourteen Years a resident within the United States. (Art. II, Sect. i)

Just a few Constitutional details to deal with... But I'm sure that by now he is basking in the joy of not having to walk tomorrow... and of being able to plan the Next Big Adventure.

Congratulations Squeaky!!
-Mark

Skidsteer
12-29-2005, 20:57
Today, at @ 5:00 P.M. +/-, Squeaky summited Springer Mountain and completed his quest. A small group of family, friends, and well-wishers were on hand to witness the big event and welcome him. It was very simply amazing and touching to watch and I would like to thank Squeaky and his family for being so gracious and sharing this special moment with me and the others there. Check back in an hour or so and I will try to have the pictures posted.
Go Squeaky! :banana :clap :banana :clap

neighbor dave
12-29-2005, 21:05
WOW!!!!!:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap :welcome

Skidsteer
12-29-2005, 21:38
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9709&catid=favorites
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9706&catid=favorites
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9707&catid=favorites
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9705&catid=favorites
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=9708&catid=favorites

Foggy and cold as *****, but hopefully the flavor of the moment comes through.

rainmaker
12-29-2005, 22:17
First , congratulations to Squeaky. This is an awesome accomplishment. Secondly, thanks to Skidsteer for sharing the moment.

hustler
12-30-2005, 00:17
Squeaky is the man, I can't think of any good words to express my admiration. Good Job Squeaky!!!!! So what are the official stats on his journey, as far as miles and days?

Zzzzdyd
12-30-2005, 00:43
Big Congrats Squeaky !! and thanks bunches Skidsteer for the great pics !!

:banana

Wonder
12-30-2005, 03:06
I just checked out Skidsters photos....one really touched me. I had the privledge of meeting Squeeky a couple weeks ago when he was taking off from miss Janets. What he told us was that he was keeping that he kept thinking about that last white balze....well Squeeky....I saw the pick....you did it man! You are truely an amazing person! Way to go!

Heater
12-30-2005, 03:46
Today, at @ 5:00 P.M. +/-, Squeaky summited Springer Mountain and completed his quest.

Wow! I have been following his journey since he entered the Sierras. Seems like yesterday. Congrats Squeaky! :sun

I wonder if he'll have pop tarts for breakfast this morning? :D
Maybe a Powerbar for lunch?:bse

:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

MTNRUNR
12-30-2005, 05:30
Thanks to Skidsteer for the pictures and others for keeping us updated!

An incredible accomplishment for sure!!! Thanks for sharing your experience!

WOW!!! :clap :dance :welcome Glad you'll get to welcome in the New Year with family and friends!

Burn
12-30-2005, 09:23
congrates squeaky

TJ aka Teej
12-30-2005, 09:44
Quite an acomplishment! Very few hikers thought Flyin' Brian Robinson's One-Calander-Year-Triple-Crown feat would ever be done again - and now Squeaky's done it! Amazing!

Youngblood
12-30-2005, 09:58
Wow!!!! Squeaky, you are truely a hiking fool and I mean that in a good way. Today, when it comes to long distance backpacking, you have no equal... you're simply the best! Enjoy it all you can, you worked hard to deserve it.

Do folks think WhiteBlaze.net should make a Certificate of Congratulations for Squeaky, I don't any other organization in position to do so? Anybody here have the proper tools and an inclination to do a nice job?

Youngblood

timhines
12-30-2005, 10:02
someone needs to buy him one of those 1 hour massages!

Whistler
12-30-2005, 11:28
Do folks think WhiteBlaze.net should make a Certificate of Congratulations for Squeaky, I don't any other organization in position to do so? Anybody here have the proper tools and an inclination to do a nice job?

Youngblood
Maybe we can get SGT Rock to make an Official Trail Name Certificate while we're at it... :rolleyes:

Simply amazing. I don't think a 1-hour massage will be enough...
-Mark

Bankrobber
12-30-2005, 13:17
Unbelievable. Congratulations Squeaky!

gumby
12-30-2005, 13:26
Squeaky, great to have been following you on this site. Congrats on your Triple Crown!!!

Skidsteer, thanks for the photos.

gumby

gumby
12-30-2005, 14:51
Wow!!!! Squeaky, you are truely a hiking fool and I mean that in a good way. Today, when it comes to long distance backpacking, you have no equal... you're simply the best! Enjoy it all you can, you worked hard to deserve it.

Youngblood

Hows this for a certificate? I can modify it based on your suggestions.
:bse
gumby

BTW it looks better printed in Print Shop.

Jaybird
12-30-2005, 14:55
Congrats SQUEAKY!

Youngblood
12-30-2005, 17:14
Hows this for a certificate? I can modify it based on your suggestions.
:bse
gumby

BTW it looks better printed in Print Shop.
Could you get a map of the lower 48 with all three trails in it somehow?

peter_pan
12-30-2005, 17:49
Well Done Squeaky... :clap :clap :clap

Pan

Tortoises
12-30-2005, 18:46
Congratulations Squeaky!

We have a couple of pictures on this website.
http://homepage.mac.com/herm222/PhotoAlbum17.html

Tortoise and Just a Few Steps

gumby
12-30-2005, 20:52
Could you get a map of the lower 48 with all three trails in it somehow?

Here's what I have. I sent an e-mail to GORP asking permission to use the map.

gumby

neighbor dave
12-30-2005, 21:23
would puttin' his stats on it be appropriate. (i.e.) x # of days, x # of miles type thing?:welcome

Kerosene
12-30-2005, 21:31
I like neighbor dave's suggestion as an improvement on a great idea!

gumby
12-30-2005, 22:12
would puttin' his stats on it be appropriate. (i.e.) x # of days, x # of miles type thing?:welcome

Yup they would, that's why I put it up here. Now does anyone have these stats? If so I'll make the next version until we come to an agreement. Yeah I know this is Whiteblaze and coming to an agreement is not likely.:clap

Seriously though, thats what I like about this site.

Thanks, gumby:bse

Mr. Clean
12-30-2005, 22:21
I can't even imagine what he has done. Congrats!!
Someone mentioned 7,530 miles, 31.4 miles per day, 240 days. Is that right?
Incredible.

weary
12-30-2005, 22:38
Here's what I have. I sent an e-mail to GORP asking permission to use the map.

gumby
I wouldn't worry about permission for a one time use of a map as a greeting card to one person. If anyone were to sue they would have to show damages. Those would be infintesimal for a card to be given to one person.

Put the source of the map on the back of the card and I suspect they would be pleased rather than offended.

It might be useful to use the back of the card also to list the names of all those from White Blaze who have offered congratulations.

(If you adopt that last suggestion, I hereby offier my congratulations to Squeaky.)

Well, on second thought, I offer them anyway. It was a tremendous accomplishment.

Weary

calearn
12-30-2005, 22:47
For official numbers, we'll have to wait for Squeaky to post them. I pulled the above number for the PCT and CDT from his journal and the AT mileage from the official number. His days will most likely be 239 days 11 1/2 or 12 hours and the miles will likely be close. The CDT numbers from his journal are about what one would expect for the route Squeaky took.

Congratulations Squeaky!!!

Sly
12-31-2005, 00:56
Actual CDT numbers are hard to come by.

I don't believe anyone has actually wheeled the trail, especially since there are so many alternates and the "official" route isn't complete. Even Jonathan Ley's maps, which Squeaky used, don't have mileages on them, so it's only an estimate. Likely around 2700, maybe a little more since he took no cut-offs that I'm aware of, and did the RMNP loop.

MTNRUNR
12-31-2005, 01:27
Instead of "Triple Crown completion" how about Triple Crown record completion???

I'm thinkin Squeaky will appreciate everyones well wishes :-?

Just wondering...I know if he wrote a book about his quest I'd surely buy a copy! How about anyone else?

How about it Squeaky :clap :banana :jump :rolleyes: :dance musta felt "weird" not havin ta get up and start hikin agin today!

Congrat's once again!!!

Sly
12-31-2005, 01:49
Some records can't be broken. For instance Earl Shaffer's 1st AT thru-hike. Never to be duplicated, never to be "improved" upon, only done faster. Another record of Earl's never to be broken, 1st to hike the trail in both directions.

In Squeaky's Trailcast interview, he said he was the 1st to hike the Triple Crown in a calender year, but I beg to differ. Surely he must have heard of, but never mentioned Brian Robinson, who completed the Triple Crown (abet with flipflops) in a calender year in 2001.

Youngblood
12-31-2005, 10:06
Gumby, that's great!

The only data I would suggest is the rough mileage for each trail in the description blocks and maybe drop the "National Scenic" part to keep it smallish. How about using the start and end date after "Triple Crown" , Started ??/??/2005 - Finished 12/29/2005.

gumby
12-31-2005, 14:06
Excellent replies, after I get some stats I'll make up the next version.

If Squeaky wrote a book would I buy it? Duh..of course.

Thanks guys and gals.

gumby

anneandbenhike
12-31-2005, 15:04
Congratulations, Squeaky, from someone else who has been following you for quite a while! :clap

Sloghound
12-31-2005, 21:28
Hello, all.. I'm eagerly awaiting the next report from Squeaky or Stef, his Mum. Are they still in the States, or on the way home? Does anyone have a snail mail address for him?

The trailcast.org podcast interview with him is great. A post trip interview would be icing on the cake.

What a hiker! What a motivated man!

Sloghound

Youngblood
01-01-2006, 16:43
I was on Springer for NYE. Several sobo's finished up and I took a look at Squeaky's last entry in the log book on Springer... took a picture of it by the plaque and the last white blaze.

Nean
01-01-2006, 20:38
It appears Squeaky will have been on the trail for a few hours under 240 days (May 4 - Dec 29) and hiked ~7,530 miles (2655 pct + 2700 cdt + 2175 at) for an overall average of ~31.4 miles/day including the zero days in transport between the trails. Amazing!

Flyin' Brian estimated he hiked 7,371 miles in 300 days or 24.6 miles/day. Squeaky is almost hiking an additional 7 miles per day. WOW!

There really is no comparison. Yes, BR hiked many of the miles, but blue blazed -roadwalked, jumped around, took short cuts and gave himself 365 days to work with. Squeaky was the first to hike 2 trails end to end and then made it an even three!! The conditions he overcame were the ones BR avoided at all cost and Squeaky cut 2 months off that. Having gotten to know them both as people there is no comparison there either.

BW2006
01-01-2006, 21:20
I don't know you squeaky but great job!!!Congratulations!!!Barbie W

fiddlehead
01-01-2006, 21:56
Congratulations Squeaky. That is truly AMAZING! Now get some sleep. I imagine you'll need quite a rest. AMAZING!

Hikerhead
01-01-2006, 22:32
In Squeaky's Trailcast interview, he said he was the 1st to hike the Triple Crown in a calender year, but I beg to differ. Surely he must have heard of, but never mentioned Brian Robinson, who completed the Triple Crown (abet with flipflops) in a calender year in 2001.

I agree. Especially since Flying Brian did his Triple Crown just 2 or 3 years ago.

But non the less....Squeaky, that was a hell of a hike. Way to go!!!:clap

TJ aka Teej
01-01-2006, 22:53

Perhaps because Brian didn't seek publicity not many here on Whiteblaze know that Squeaky is really the second, and not the first, to have hiked all three trails in one calendar year. It sure was odd that the interviewer didn't mention Flyin'Brian either.

max patch
01-01-2006, 23:14
Yes, BR hiked many of the miles, but blue blazed -roadwalked, jumped around, took short cuts and gave himself 365 days to work with.

IF what Nean says is true -- and I have no idea if it is or not -- then Squeaky would be the first to hike all 3 trails in one year.

I do know that on BR's website it says he hiked ALL 2,168 miles of the AT.

I hope that Nean's info is incorrect.

Smile
01-01-2006, 23:30
What an amazing adventure you have completed.
Looking forward to hearing more about your future adventures! ;-)
Peace,
Smile

TJ aka Teej
01-01-2006, 23:33

I didn't know there was a webpage. Thanks for the tip, Max. Info from: http://royrobinson.homestead.com/Triple_Crown.html

October 27, 2001 - Brian finished the Triple Crown today! He has hiked 7,371 miles in 300 days.

On the AT: ALL of 2,168 miles.
CDT: ALL of 2,558 miles.
PCT: ALL of 2,645 miles.

Nean
01-02-2006, 10:57
Well I understand the BR confusion. Yes Squeaky has answered many times: No, I'm Not doing what BR did. And he didn't! So what if BR roadwalked out of cascade locks, he was setting a record right? And there was one shortcut he didn't take on the cdt (Creede) but he was hiking that trail in sections and claims the CDT record for that hike, and Warren has recently pointed out his roadwalk on the AT to avoid some weather (1st & Only tme I'll bet) Again, he avoided at all cost the challenges that Squeaky embraced, took, overcame! I'm sure BR and others will continue to claim "the first (although no longer "only") Human being to hike a calender year triplecrown". BR is anything BUT modest.
BTW, Ed Talone came out and met Squeaky near Woody gap to tell him what he was doing was "nothing", been done many times, the last time in 91 by a person whos name he did not know. One of the people in Eds group even asked Squeaky if he had taken the Ice Age Trail from the pct to the cdt or "had he just taken the bus?" No congatulations, they drove all that way to piss on Squeakys big day....great people :rolleyes:!

TJ aka Teej
01-02-2006, 11:58
Nean,
Why the need to tear down Brian's achievement? Is Squeaky's being the second person to do it really such a terrible thing? He did hike it in less time, and that's great - but why get into qualifiers? That'll only start other petty arguments like, 'yeah faster, but he had better weather'... So why attack Brian by starting rumors and spreading Warren's gossip about his hike? Fact is, ALL hiking "records" require a little bit of faith, and tearing apart someone else's hike doesn't add anything at all to another hiker's achievement.

MOWGLI
01-02-2006, 12:03
I'm sorry I missed Squeaky when I was near Springer just after Christmas. I had hoped to meet him and shake his hand. Congrats Squeaky, wherever you are. I hope its somewhere warm with your feet up and a cold beverage in your hand.

As for Ed, anyone who has spent any time around him knows he can be a jerk. He can also be the nicest guy in the world. I can only take him in small doses. He has walked the walk though.

If Squeaky could walk all those trails, I'm sure he can let Ed's misguided comments roll off his back.

Again, Congrats Squeaky.

Tim Rich
01-02-2006, 12:09
Who the *** is Ed Talone and what walk has he walked?

I had to do a search. Never heard of him. He apparently draws a check from AHS. If he said what it's said he said, I won't be sending a dime their way.

What an @ss.

Lone Wolf
01-02-2006, 12:10
Sounds like he's jealous.

MOWGLI
01-02-2006, 12:12
Who the *** is Ed Talone and what walk has he walked?

He's just a hiker, although, if you met him, you'd never guess it. He's walked all 8 National Scenic Trails, most of 'em more than once. He was the first to walk the North Country Trail. He's done Key West to Katahdin twice.

He's probably best known for writing the ATC about the Boy Scouts hike in '36. His letter to the Editor got the Boy Scouts listed as 2000-milers.

MOWGLI
01-02-2006, 12:41
I had to do a search. Never heard of him. He apparently draws a check from AHS. If he said what it's said he said, I won't be sending a dime their way.

What an @ss.

Well Tim, you're correct that he works for AHS as an office manager. I work for the organization too, but in a far different capacity. Rest assured Ed's personal feelings don't represent American Hiking Society, or the organization's policies. AHS has no policy on accomplishments of this nature. FWIW, Ed is on vacation (just like me) on his own time - and came down south to walk the Silver Comet and Chief Ladega Trails.

It's unfortunate that Ed sometimes runs his mouth, but to try and paint AHS as somehow unworthy of support is misguided IMO. That's like saying because you might disagree with Weary's personal views, that the MATLT is not worthy of your support.

All the National Scenic Trail organizations are invested in the work that AHS does, as are the 240+ organizations that belong to AHS - including the trail club that Nean volunteers for.

I'm not here to defend Ed. He's entitled to his opinion though, just like anyone else. I just wish he'd think before he opened his mouth once in a while.

Tim Rich
01-02-2006, 12:56
Well Tim, you're correct that he works for AHS as an office manager. I work for the organization too, but in a far different capacity. Rest assured Ed's personal feelings don't represent American Hiking Society, or the organization's policies. AHS has no policy on accomplishments of this nature. FWIW, Ed is on vacation (just like me) on his own time - and came down south to walk the Silver Comet and Chief Ladega Trails.

It's unfortunate that Ed sometimes runs his mouth, but to try and paint AHS as somehow unworthy of support is misguided IMO. That's like saying because you might disagree with Weary's personal views, that the MATLT is not worthy of your support.

All the National Scenic Trail organizations are invested in the work that AHS does, as are the 240+ organizations that belong to AHS - including the trail club that Nean volunteers for.

I'm not here to defend Ed. He's entitled to his opinion though, just like anyone else. I just wish he'd think before he opened his mouth once in a while.

Fair enough.

Red Cake
01-02-2006, 16:53
Hi everyone,
I apologize for attributing the first calendar year hike of the triple crown incorrectly. I made a correction in the latest program of Trailcast. Sorry about this error..

-Bob www.trailcast.org

billdnc
01-02-2006, 18:00
First of all congratulation to Squeaky.. an incredible accomplishment. My son also finished the AT SOBO this year in 106 days - and everyone thought that that was fast!
What I have not heard discussed and I hopefully Squeaky can give us some details, is his hike throught the Whites. I remember checking the weather a few days before Squeaky got there and the conditions were horrendous. 100 mph winds, 20 degrees F, blowing snow. I guess it was a little better when he went over Mt. Washington, but it still must have been quite an ordeal.
Squeaky - Tell us about it when after you've rested up and had some beer and " some female companionship".
Go Squeaky!!!!

Skidsteer
01-02-2006, 23:35
The following is a more in-depth description of the events on Springer on Thursday night. Sloghound had e-mailed me requesting more details of the finish. When I responded, he pointed out the obvious: Post it on White Blaze! I've included a bit of the text from the e-mails, with Sloghounds permission. So, here it is.

Any errors are most probably my fault and completely unintended, I assure you.

Hello, Skidsteer,

The trailcast.org interview has similar material to
the "Conversation with Squeaky" transcript on the at-l
and Squeaky's Trail Journals site, but is different.
The trailcast interview was via the telephone from
Miss Janet's House hostel, and it is something special
to hear him in his own voice discussing his journey at
some length (unintentional bad pun!), without the
certainty of the finish at Springer.

Anything notable you could add, in the way of
describing the scene at Springer?

Thanks a LOT, again!

Sloghound

My response:

Sorry for the delay, Sloghound.

It was pretty cold on the mountain that day. When I got back to my truck,
the digital thermometer read 32 on the nose. At a guess, I would say that
Springer was 1-2 degrees colder with a formidable wind chill.

We waited about an hour for Squeaky and his brother to hike in and during
this time we all chatted with Squeaky's parents. There were about 5 of us to start and we ended up with +/- 16-18 total( depending on whether you count dogs ).

You could tell that Squeaky's parents and brother are vey proud of him( rightfully so! ). They seemed mildly amused that Squeaky doesn't so far seem to realize the magnitude of his accomplishment, but expected it would begin to hit him full-on in the days after the hike. They did mention that there was a tentative interview scheduled with National Geographic on Friday. After that, I believe they were planning to visit friends in Miami, FL for New Year's.

When Squeaky made his grand entrance there was of course an emotional
reunion with his family and hearty cheers fom the assembled on-lookers. Then Squeaky walked over to the final White Blaze( still with his pack on ) and briefly raised his hands to the sky. Very moving to me, I can tell you. I
was in the process of snapping another photo when he lowered his hands. In my opinion that turned out to be the best photo I took( labeled:"The end of a long hike" on White Blaze ). I thought I could see the exhaustion really
show through. Of course, I may have misread it entirely. Who knows?

We all had a laugh when, right after that, Squeaky unceremoniously dumped his pack on the ground and announced in his British accent," I won't need
that lot anymore!"

It was cold enough that most of us fled down the mountain shortly after
that, but one other thing that impressed me was the way that Squeaky, his father, mother, and brother took time to thank us for coming up. They showed an extaordinary grace and heartfelt appreciation to us-mostly strangers. I was just happy to be able to see and participate in this event and was worried about intruding on their celebration, but they saw us all as instant friends. Rare quality these days.

Nean may have some other insights he'd be willing to share. I gather he's
gotten to know Squeaky fairly well and spent some time with him near the finish.

Take Care,

Skidsteer

Nean
01-03-2006, 00:38
Sorry if I offended Teej, just tryin to clear up the confusion and explain the difference. If you want to run around claiming records, you should be able to answer for your walk. If telling the truth is tearing someone down then maybe they should be one of Eds' anonymous friends;)!! Squeaky thought it was odd but I told him it was a compliment that Ed came to see him. I like Ed regardless, he's a true trail character. I'll try and add some to the day he finished when I've more time. I can say that it was a honor to get to know him and his family.

Sly
01-03-2006, 01:04
If you want to run around claiming records, you should be able to answer for your walk.

Nean, maybe it's you not getting the answers you want to hear. Practically every thru-hiker takes liberties off the "official" trail on the PCT such as the rim trail on Crater Lake and the Eagle Creek Trail. Many do the road walk to Panther Creek, and all of these and many other alternates are in the guidebook. If you ask the PCTA, they don't care which route you take and consider "along the general crest" qualification for 2600-miler.

As far as the CDT is concerned, you know as well as anyone how many different routes there are. For those that don't know, there's 3 starting or ending trailheads in NM and atleast 2 in MT, plus a 100 different alternates to link them. No one hike is better than another.

A Triple Crowner doesn't have to thru-hike each, they just have to do the "trails" or in many cases road walks via section hike, day hike, flip-flop or thru-hike.

Personally, I think both accomplishments are awesome, but it's these type of self-proclaimed "records" that drive me nuts. End-to-end-to end calender year Triple Crown vs. Calender year Triple Crown.

IMO, there's no big diff. only in this case, the latter happend 1st.

Youngblood
01-03-2006, 08:24
First of all congratulation to Squeaky.. an incredible accomplishment. My son also finished the AT SOBO this year in 106 days - and everyone thought that that was fast!
It was fast!

TJ aka Teej
01-03-2006, 08:37
Sorry if I offended Teej, just tryin to clear up the confusion and explain the difference. If you want to run around claiming records, you should be able to answer for your walk.

Nean, was it Squeaky, or YOU, who decided that starting rumors and spreading gossip about Brian's hike would make Squeaky's hike sound "better"? I think it's really sad that the end of Squeaky's hike has been tarnished by the poor sportsmanship of one of his fans. "Sorry if I offended Teej,"? That apology should've been addressed to Brian, Nean.

Nean
01-03-2006, 08:42
You make some good points Sly and agree with most. I don't care how BR did his walk; just don't say I'm running him down when I truefully point out the difference in the 2. I don't mind answers, its BS that I don't care for. As you know, I've blued, white, slacked, flipped, hopped, thrued and sectioned my share- its all good!:banana and it doesn't matter:-? but is it the same?;) No one mentioned "better" though one was Much more difficult.:) Its like that Bung and Sven thing.... if you say you end to end to end and claim to be the 1st, don't let me find out you skipped and came back (or, like BR on the JMT, have someone pace you and claim to be unsupported). BR pieced together a calender triple and claims the cdt record and refers to himself as "the first and only Human being...." Good for him.
If you think what he accomplished is just the same as what Squeaky accomplished, well then, IMHO, I disagree.

Youngblood
01-03-2006, 08:53
I was on Springer for NYE. Several sobo's finished up and I took a look at Squeaky's last entry in the log book on Springer... took a picture of it by the plaque and the last white blaze.
I'm susprised no one has asked me what it said.

What would you use as your last entry for a hike like that? How lengthy would it be? Would you create a personal mantra?

... details of that later after these words from the rest of the group...

neighbor dave
01-03-2006, 08:56
:-? hey, i don't know much, but i think the debate should be another thread so as not to spoil a very happy thread of a guy who did something most of us can only wonder about in amazement. just a thought. sorry for the interuption!
squeaky did it!!! congrats!!:welcome :jump :clap :sun

Nean
01-03-2006, 08:57
I'm sorry if the truth offended BR, Teej. That BR is one heck of a hiker!! Please let me know what rumors and gossip I started as I would like to apologize. Don't be starting rumors and gossip Teej, if you dispute something I say, then please correct me or disagree.
BTW, I AM a BIG Squeaky fan!!! That MH is one hell of a man!!

neighbor dave
01-03-2006, 08:59
What would you use as your last entry for a hike like that? How lengthy would it be? Would you create a personal mantra?
in memory of.................
that's all, no mantra:welcome :jump

Sly
01-03-2006, 09:04
Gene Espy could claim he was the 1st to thru-hike since Earl bushwacked in and out of a couple towns, but it wouldn't be right, or better, even if it were faster.

Nean
01-03-2006, 09:05
I thought his parting words were rather fitting Yb...and thanks again for helping me find the Hiker Hostel, Josh and Leigh are wonderful folks!

gumby
01-03-2006, 10:33
I'm susprised no one has asked me what it said.

... details of that later after these words from the rest of the group...

I guess that it should be Squeaky to say what it said, afterall it is his journal and personal to him.

As far as to what I'd write...will have to wait until I do it. It should be spontaneous and from the heart, not rehearsed.

thanks for keeping it that way yb :-)

leeki pole
01-03-2006, 10:47
Congratulations and happy new year Squeaky! Well Done! :sun

weary
01-03-2006, 12:31
in memory of.................
that's all, no mantra:welcome :jump
Perhaps just, "in memory of flyin brian."

Sorry I couldn't resist.

Sly
01-03-2006, 12:33
haha... good one Weary.

TJ aka Teej
01-03-2006, 13:13
I think the debate should be another thread so as not to spoil a very happy thread

Remove the input from one poster, and the responses it required, and it's still a happy thread. I teach the children on my basketball teams that they should always cheer, and never boo. It's a shame some grown-ups can't understand why.

Mags
01-03-2006, 13:51
Cripe Nean! It is just friggin' hiking.

Yeah..I think CDT speed records are kind of silly myself. . If you want to start a different thread on the the purity (?!?!?!!?!?) of a PCT/CDT/AT triple crown hike than go for it.

But the topic of this thread is Squeaky. We should all offer our heartfelt congrats on *THIS* thread. To debate other people's hikes on this thread is just not doing Squeaky justice.

Basically, Nean, it would be nice of you to move the comments somewhere else.

I said it on PCT-L, and I'll say it again: I'd love to buy Squeaky a pint or two and talk to him for an hour or so. Seems like the cool, laidback guy who does some awesome things!

Alligator
01-03-2006, 14:30
Let it go.

Congratulations Squeaky! I really enjoyed your message about challenging one's self.

rleffew
01-03-2006, 19:35
My buddy Jeff and I met Squeaky at Neel Gap. We were day one into a three day hike from Woody Gap to Unicoi Gap and decided to stay at the hostel in Neel Gap. Our original plans were to stay on top of Blood Mountain that first night for the view, but since the weather conditions (cold & freezing rain) prohibitted a view, we continued on into Neel Gap (darn, had to settle for a hot shower after hiking all day in the freezing rain). I am so glad we did -- Squeaky came in around 7:30 tired, cold and soaking wet. He was so nice to spend some time with us and answer a bunch of (i'm guessing from his perspective) dumb questions. After chatting for a while, he left to use the dryer to dry his clothes. He departed around 4:30 the next morning for his final 31 miles.

Congratulations Squeaky -- what a classy guy!

gumby
01-04-2006, 13:01
Remove the input from one poster, and the responses it required, and it's still a happy thread. I teach the children on my basketball teams that they should always cheer, and never boo. It's a shame some grown-ups can't understand why.

To bad this wasn't your team. It just goes to show that not all kids (adults) play together. You seem to be a great mentor to your teams, we need more like you.

I was always taught to respect others; even though I'm 49 I still hold the door for anyone regardless of age and say yes instead of yeah.

Cheers to Squeaky

Nean
01-06-2006, 02:00
Sorry to get yall so riled;) :D Wonderful example of what you're talkin bout on that ATI thread Teej:) I was just trying to give some insight on why Squeaky, IMO, does not consider what did as the same as BR. Someone (?;))had asked about the confusion, on this thread.:) To my knowledge I accurately, honestly discribed both hikes, thus pointing out the difference. You are Right Mags!! It sure is just hiking, this is just a website, we are just people and we just have opinions.:p I like the past hiker analogy Sly, only I look at it this way. BR is more like my hero, Myron Avery- 1st to piece the trail(s) together, where Squeaky is like the Crazy One, first to do it all in one go. Btw, BR has credited myself and Scott Williamson for inspiring his Triple. :cool: Squeaky was inspired to do something that had never been done and was thought to be impossible, but as he put it so well, #%& the impossible. It wasn't his journal Gumby.

Talked to Squeaky yesterday. He was feeling good and thinking about testing himself on the AT this year. He's confident that he can break 40 days. Told him I knew enough blue blazes, roadwalks and "cut-offs" that he'd be sending out framed autograghed photos declaring himself as: the First and Only HUMAN BEING (other than Ed & Dans friends) to hike the ENTIR trail in a calender month. Whatcha think?:bse

Sly
01-06-2006, 02:37
How about a Triple Crown Yo-Yo? Then I'd be impressed! ;)

Sly
01-06-2006, 02:40
Hey, is Squeaky still or going to be stateside next weekend? If so, it would be awesome if he could make it to the SoRuck.

Nean
01-06-2006, 02:43
LOL Someday, w/support, it will be done:D

Mountain Dew
01-06-2006, 02:45
Congrats to squeaky although I suggest he should now go back and take a full year to hike each trail to enjoy everything he missed. In my mind ( AND reality ) he's the first person to hike the triple crown in a calender year. I can't even begin to imagine what he has done. In baseball slang... " That's just nasty"...

Nean... don't let the bastards get you down. Some people get so furious when others aren't affraid to speak the truth like you have and always do. Your integrity is known throughout the trail community on BOTH coasts and evn in your great home state of Texas.

MOUNTAIN DEW

Nean
01-06-2006, 02:49
I believe he leaves tomorrow. I'm sure he'd of had a great time! I know I'm looking forward to it!!

Sly
01-06-2006, 02:51
In my mind ( AND reality ) he's the first person to hike the triple crown in a calender year.

Wrong. In your mind and reality, what did Brian Robinson do in 2001?

Nean
01-06-2006, 04:07
I wonder what ol BR thinks!:D Is section hiking- hundreds(?!) of less miles, the same OR different than thru hiking? :confused: Did Squeaky duplicate his standard or set a new one?
Wonder how Earl felt about such things; didn't he have an opinion on the subject?;)
I'd like to thank everyone who shares thier opinion, its not always easy...being human....:o

Lone Wolf
01-06-2006, 09:42
Some people are more star struck than others.

Sly
01-06-2006, 09:45
Nean, ***? Until now it's been totally acceptable to section hike any of the three trails and/or take cut-offs on the western trails in order to get the Triple Crown. I already said how I admired Squeaky's hike but I'm not going to change my thinking just because he hiked all three end-to-end.

Sly
01-06-2006, 09:49
Some people are more star struck than others.

I guess. You should have seen the idiotic posts Mountain Dew sent me privately as to "not muddy Squeaky's thread". That dude has problems! :rolleyes:

Nean
01-06-2006, 13:39
You are entitled to your opinion Sly. I don't believe you muddy this thread, just as I wasn't running down BRs hike. Of course section hiking, etc., etc., etc., is acceptable! There is no better -or worst, but they are not the same. They are as different as Myron and Earl... but if that don't work for ya, consider this:
If Squeaky hikes the AT in 29 days and does so by blue blazing, road walking and flip floping (for maximum downhill;)) he can claim to be the First and Only Human Being to Hike a Calender Month AT all he wants!! But if BR does it end to end on the white blazes, then I'd think Brain would be setting a new standard. Would Squeaky be able to say he did the same thing as BR? Not in my opinion. I'd consider Brains hike a 1st. I'd also think Brains record could not be broken by doing it Squeakys way. So it's not personal, just my point of view.

Mags
01-06-2006, 15:33
[quote=Nean]Sorry to get yall so riled;) :D

Nean, have you thought of moving this discussion to another thread?

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2006, 16:02
In my mind ( AND reality ) he's the first person to hike the triple crown in a calender year.

Why are two people using this thread to call Brian a liar?

weary
01-06-2006, 16:23
I wonder what ol BR thinks!:D Is section hiking- hundreds(?!) of less miles, the same OR different than thru hiking? :confused: Did Squeaky duplicate his standard or set a new one?
Wonder how Earl felt about such things; didn't he have an opinion on the subject?;) ....
Great questions? But they are something like the ancient query: "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" The answers, whatever, they may be, mean little to most hikers, I suspect.

Both hikers accomplished something important to them, I hope. Otherwise, I could care less about such records.

Sly
01-06-2006, 18:30
Why are two people using this thread to call Brian a liar?

I don't know but Mountain Dew's PM to me was entitled Lying Brian. Too bad he doesn't know anything about the western trails and keeps confusing "thru-hiking" with becoming a 2000-miler, a 2600-miler, a 2700-miler, or a Triple Crowner.

I do know that Mountain Dew was scared off from doing the PCT last year because of the heavy snow in the Sierras and Brian has done them atleast three or four times under similar conditions, including last year.

gumby
01-06-2006, 18:39
Why don't we all agree to disagree and congratulate Squeaky.

This thread is starting to sound like a pissing contest facing the wind.

Enough with the arguements

nuff said

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2006, 18:43
Sly--

1. Mountain Dew had lots of reasons for not being on the PCT last year,
and most of these were personal matters that had nothing to do with
snow. How do I know this? Because I had at one point planned to
travel with him. Don't talk about matters that you're ignorant on, unless
you wish to be known as just that.......ignorant.

2. Discussing the subject or content of private correspondence or personal
messages on a public forum is usually considered rude, unseemly, and
low-class.

3. Stop being a jerk.

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2006, 18:44
P.S. Gumby is entirely correct.

This thread was intended to congratulate Squeaky---who is a very nice guy, by the way----on a remarkable achievement. Let's try to keep it that way.

Sly
01-06-2006, 18:49
Jack, when Dew stops insulting me and others on Whiteblaze I'll cool it, until then I could care less. You're protege has hardly made a single post without attacking someone personally. But now that I think of it, you're very much the same.

Jack Tarlin
01-06-2006, 18:59
Right, Sly, and you've never said a discouraging word here, either.

You should re-read some of your posts on this thread, if there aren't too many to count. I believe that I've posted to this thread exactly ONCE, so if anyone's gotten nasty and personal on this subjct, I don't think it's been me.

But let's try one last time.

This thread was intended to congratulate Squeaky. If you have a beef with Nean, Dew, or anone else, Sly, take it somewhere else, and try to keep private correspondence private.

Unless you wanna continue to be a jerk.

Which perhaps can't be helped.

Bye, now.

Sly
01-06-2006, 19:11
Jack, let's start from square one.

If you re-read thread, you'll see I have nothing bad to say about Squeaky, only that he wasn't the 1st and the reasons why.

I've also started other Squeaky threads on this forum and other lists bringing awareness to his hike and congratulating him, so it's no like I'm degenerating his accomplishment the way others are doing to Brian.

Nean
01-06-2006, 20:43
Thank you for your concern Mags and Gumby:) , this has gone from a Squeaky sighting to a congratulating Squeaky to a what is it we are congratulating him for?, thread. When Squeaky gets home he'll be on this thread and I feel he won't mind that I've spoken my mind here.:bse Its a roll with flow thread it seems.:welcome
Sly has been very supportive of Squeaky and is entitled to his opinion.:p I gave him some reasons for my opinion too!! Haven't heard too much on where my reasoning is flawed.;) Folks would rather debate the debate than the subject.:-? BR was trueful about his hike and he was the first to piece together a CYTC. :clap Being trueful about it now should not bring him shame as is being suggested.:o Brain might be Cryin:D but I have never said Lying.:confused: Rumor/ gossip perhaps? :cool: Otherwise we are all perfect little angels, :rolleyes: ....ain't life grand.:jump

TJ aka Teej
01-06-2006, 21:01
This thread was intended to congratulate Squeaky. If you have a beef with Nean, Dew, or anone else, Sly, take it somewhere else, and try to keep private correspondence private.

Unless you wanna continue to be a jerk.

Jack, you say "if you have a beef with Nean, Dew, or anyone else, Sly," seems to approve of Nean and Dew having a beef with Brian's hike. Why haven't you told Nean and Dew to "take it somewhere else"? This thread was intended to congratulate Squeaky, not bash Brian. If anyone has been a "jerk" here it's been the few who have used this thread to call Brian a liar.

Nean
01-06-2006, 21:14
No beef w/ Brains hike here Teej:) I apologize for the confusion;)
Now then, who was the 1st to hike the ECT? Scott Williamson or John Brinda?

Sly
01-06-2006, 22:57
Now then, who was the 1st to hike the ECT? Scott Williamson or John Brinda?

First of all, we have to define ECT since it's not an "official" trail? Eastern US, Eastern North America? The general starting and ending points.

Although I could be very wrong, I think John hiked Key West to Cape Gaspe and Scott, the FL Trail to Katahdin.

MOWGLI
01-06-2006, 23:13
First of all, we have to define ECT since it's not an "official" trail? Eastern US, Eastern North America? The general starting and ending points.

The ECT route is generally accepted as Key West to the southern terminus of the Florida Trail. The Florida National Scenic Trail to the Alabama border. The Alabama Road walk to the AL Pinhoti (via Flag Mountain - the southernmost 1000' peak in the Appalachians), to the GA Pinhoti, to the Benton MacKaye, south to the AT, north to Katahdin, and then the IAT to Cap Gaspe.

With the extension of the Benton MacKaye, it is now possible for a hiker to hit the BMT and head north to pick-up the AT near Shuckstack or Davenport Gap. Hail to the hiker that hikes their own hike!

I neither know nor care who was the first to walk it. Nimblewill Nomad is the individual who popularized it - IMO. Jo Jo Smiley, an occasional contributor to this site has walked the walk, and then some. She went north beyond Gaspe.

warren doyle
01-07-2006, 12:36
Back on the info superhighway after my annual sled run down the Mt. Washington Auto Rd - wheee!

First, and definitely the most important, congratulations to Matt for his singular achievement. A true Olympic athlete - too bad Northern Ireland doesn't have an Olympic long-distance hiking team.
I had the privilege to meet and talk with Matt near the Nolichucky before he started walking on the morning of Dec. 19th. It was a wonderful, insightful conversation. He was gracious and definitely a human being with class and strength.
To walk the three major N-S (S-N) long distance trails in America in 239.5 days at 30+ miles per day average; continously; consecutively; and, without vehicle support, is a marvelous example of human endurance, both physical, mental and spiritual.
He mentioned that the AT was harder than the other two trails combined. Weather plays a big role in long distance endurance hiking and Matt certainly did not have good weather conditions from Oct.-Dec. December was particularly colder and wetter than normal in the southern Appalachians. This only increased Matt's lonliness and the self-imposed pressure of finishing by Dec. 31st. The mental/physical strength that he had to have on the AT to complete his goal is hard for me to even imagine.
Matt has put his indelible signature on long distance endurance hiking on American trails continuing the legacy of others such as Branley Owen, myself, Jon Avery, David Horton, Ted Keiser (sp.?)'Cave Dog', Andrew Thompson 'Trail Dog', Ward Leonard, Ray Greenlaw, Sam Swisher-McClure, Scott Grierson, Brian Robinson, Pete Palmer, and Ed Kostak.
As to Matt's future plans, it should be interesting to see if he can indeed set a new AT endurance record without using support. In the meantime, I hope his recovery from his fantastic journey goes smoothly. I have heard that Andrew Thompson still hasn't recovered from his AT record hike last summer and that David Horton has just recently recovered from his PCT record hike.

Contrary to a familiar internegator (post #110) posting another item that is erroneous; since, once again, he wasn't there:

I feel that Brian Robinson's Triple Crown-in one year was also remarkable. It had its own challenges and it was wonderful to hear him talk at the 2001 Gathering in Hanover during his endeavor and also to hear his inspirational
evening presentation at the 2002 Gathering at Concord College. It was at this latter occasion, that he mentioned (on his own accord) in front of several hundred people (of which poster #110 was not one of) that because of deep snow conditions in southern New England he could not follow the official AT on some sections and that he didn't mind having an asterisk (*) by his name concerning this for future reference.
Poster #110 - This is not 'gossip' - this is a fact.
I don't think this assertion lessens Brian's accomplishment - for me, it only increased my respect for him because of his honesty.

Perhaps, some of the internegators on this website could use Brian's example to think before they post inaccurate information.

Mountain Dew
01-07-2006, 16:37
I'll respond to Sly's ignorance when I have more time, but this may take me a while once I find the time because of the depth of his stupidity. until then...

Jack Tarlin
01-07-2006, 16:59
I appreciate Warren's post, particularly the bit about Robinson acknowledging that he skipped sections, did not hike the entire A.T., and that perhaps his trip should be cited with an asterisk.

Well, excuse me, but wasn't that exactly the point that Nean was attempting to make? If Squeaky did in fact hike the Trail without skipping anything, it seems that he can say, with some justification, that he's actually the first person to Triple Crown in one year, and I think that's what Nean was trying to state.

Like Warren, I also don't feel that this lessens Brian's accomplishment as a hiker or an anthlete, but what was being discussed and questioned was whether or not he actually hiked the entire Appalachian Trail.

Thanks to Warren for conclusively resolving this question.

TJ aka Teej
01-07-2006, 19:43

Given the choice of who to believe, Warren or Brian, I'll believe Brian anyday.

TJ aka Teej
01-07-2006, 20:07
I appreciate Warren's post, particularly the bit about Robinson acknowledging that he skipped sections,

Not for nothing Jack, but until I hear from someone other than Warren that Brian's changed his story, I'll ignore the gossip.

Nean
01-07-2006, 21:00
Just a note on my way out the door. I saw Golites website a week or 2 ago and it stated BR held the CDT record. Not true.:cool: And has BR hiked the CDT twice or is he counting his section hike as a speed record? What's BR w-site Teej?:o
Also on that sight it says the PCT has never been yo-yoed. Not true.:cool: It goes on to say what better person to do it than BR. Maybe the guy who did it a year ago?:-? Oh well, I'm sure BR hasn't the time to mention this to Golite.
I wonder if it still mentions BR as the only CYTC? if so, Not true.:cool:
I wonder how long it would take to update their site if BR was the record setter!?;) Check that site out for me TJ, maybe it finally got updated.
And now, Are You Ready For Some Football!!!!! ...and something that is really really important! Peace Yall:D

Sly
01-07-2006, 22:57
I appreciate Warren's post, particularly the bit about Robinson acknowledging that he skipped sections, did not hike the entire A.T., and that perhaps his trip should be cited with an asterisk.

You mean he didn't follow the white blazes and in heavy snow conditions bushwacked instead? Puritan heaven forbid!

Get real Jack, Warren, Nean and Wingfoot if your lurking. I know the AT has "rules" but you guys are rediculous.

Warren, I was at the Gathering that year, and all I can remember is you taking the most time grilling him to see if he "slip" up somehow. Brian may have mentioned bushwacking in VT, but to me, it was then and is now, a non-issue.

calearn
01-07-2006, 23:52
I'm guessing Brian had very little to do with the Golite website other than selling them his name. I wrote a note to Golite a week ago, pointing out that many of the statements in Brian's accomplishement page were not correct and they wrote back a nice letter saying they would update it soon. Unfortunately the page with the incorrect information is still just three clicks away from the Golite homepage.

Brian's webpage is http://www.royrobinson.homestead.com/ and his triple crown documentation is off the home page at http://www.royrobinson.homestead.com/Triple_Crown.html

Nean
01-08-2006, 01:45
Wow, What a game!
Thank you for the update calearn. Lets hope you have more pull than BR.:rolleyes:
I read Oct thru Vermont, NH. on his site. I'll read it all perhaps but I ain't talkin bout bushwacking Sly. Nevermind if thats your and Warrens, Jacks, Dews, WFs, point.:p It aint mine.;)
I saw nothing about 2 CDTs.:-? Do you set a speed record by hiking NM, then come back a few months later and only count the days you're on that trail? Please, someone correct me. Teej????!?!:confused: BR has no say in what they say about him??:D
As for SW and JB on the ECT you mention "official" trail Sly. Why does "official" matter if it don't matter if you do the official trail when there is one? Btw, SW hiked north from Katahdin only to be removed from a logging road some 50-60m from the border. Note: this was before the IAT and SW (like BR) was out to to something that had never been done ('cept by Eds friends;)) and were the 1st to do what they did. Then JB/ (MH) came along and did the whole thing. Whats a couple of hundred miles right?:) SW like BR (and Myron), paved the way and were first to put the big pieces together. They pioneered the possibility of hiking it all, all in one shot:-?. Here's to those first: JB,:clap (I agree Sly), Squeaky,:clap and Earl!:clap

bulldog
01-08-2006, 06:23
HAHAHAAHAHHAA My, how these threads degenerate. :datz :datz :datz :datz :datz

Nean
01-08-2006, 07:20
Whar Im from its YEEEEEEEHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA :jump :jump :jump :jump :jump

Sloghound
01-08-2006, 07:37
Perhaps someone skilled at White Blaze usage should start a new forum entitled Calendar Year Triple Crown. No one here has yet doubted Squeaky's claims to have hiked what he said he has. There are numerous comments here about other people's claims. This *is* called Squeaky sightings, isn't it? I cringe to see the name calling and aspersions on each other's integrity or accuracy.

James W. Jones

Sly
01-08-2006, 07:38
Even Earl buswacked but I guess we really don't need to bring that up. Wouldn't want to spoil anyones fantasies. ;)

Nean
01-08-2006, 08:58
if I'm easily amused?:bse I did some lookin and ol BR did some bushwacking, heck he had to. And the roadwalking he did in Mass. and Vermont really didn't sound like a lot, the way he himself discribed it. Probably could of made it up in a day or so when he got back on the AT but hey- he was under the gun.:banana GO Flyin Brain* GO :) Somebody told me he was a pilot. :) Then you'd have to consider out West...whoops, shhhhh, there's been no dispute about the roadwalking out yonder.

Not that it matters, but when I tried a 2n1 in 97 (met,inspired?-BR), I stuck to the white blazes on the AT and out west I stuck to the PCT until I got to the Sierra. I could of done it the Ray way, aka the Sierra cut-off, and roadwalked my way to being the First and Only Human Being To Hike 2n1CY!!!!! and so missed, my BIG chance, to be on Warrens list!:o I'm not talkin a few miles Earl.;) Sorry SW, maybe Sly is right:-?
Anyways, its my way of saying:clap :clap Congratulations Squeaky! on an unprecedented Calender Year Triple Crown!!:clap :clap

Squeaky 2
01-09-2006, 07:45
"SQUEAKY" here back in the U.K. checking up on the gossip. these forums make me laugh:bse thanks for all of the support, it has honestly blown me away!

maybe i will post a reply when i get some sleep on the whole br issue:-?

but i just want to express my gratitude to the support of so many people. thank you!

oh yeah and as for the next plan........the out right A.T. speed record but unsupported! or a sub 40 day supported hike! just food for thought over the next few months!

anyway i gotta go and eat lunch, all the best for all your 06 plans:banana

MOWGLI
01-09-2006, 07:53
Squeaky, aren't you glad that the "real" trail is very much unlike the internet?

Welcome home!

I have a question. How do you manage to push through pain or times when you are exhausted? What sort of mental techniques do you utilize? Thanks in advance.

TJ aka Teej
01-09-2006, 08:18
"SQUEAKY" here back in the U.K. checking up on the gossip. these forums make me laugh:bse thanks for all of the support, it has honestly blown me away!

Just ignore the gossip, Squeaky! Again, congrats on an amazing year!

warren doyle
01-09-2006, 11:09
Matt,

The two future goals you mentioned for the AT will be physically more diffficult than your recent remarkable achievement in these ways:

1) Going from 30+ mile day averages to 40+ mile day averages with, or without, support is in another category.

2) Going from walking 14-15 hours a day to 15-18 hours a day is also taxing depending on how much sleep you think you need and how much you dislike/like night hiking.

3) There is no 'wiggle room' - rest days; bad weather days; injury recovery days; hitchhiking to towns to get equipment - in the amount of time you are planning.

4) You have shown incredible physical and mental endurance but do you have that much more than Andrew Thompson, David Horton and/or Pete Palmer who set the standard with support?

5) Footway conditions play an important part in how much ground you can cover (as you know with all the ice/packed snow you encountered). While I'm sure your record attempt will avoid wintry weather, if you have a wet trail north of Glencliff, NH you will be hard-pressed to keep the daily mileage required.

6) Your feet were telling you something in the Smokies that made you decrease your daily mileage which you could afford to do and still achieve your goal. If they give you the same message on the AT, you will not be able to respond in the same way and achieve your goal.

I hope you are able to accomplish what you set out to do but I think your goals will be hard to achieve. Maybe you can use this as motivational material, but I will offer my realistic predictions with the hope you can prove me wrong.

1) A sub-40 day AT thru-hike with support is not attainable.

2) An outright record AT thru-hike without support (under 47.5 days) is not attainable.

3) A record AT thru-hike without support (under 60 days) is attainable.

4) An outright record AT thru-hike with support (under 47.5 days) is attainable.

One final point, I admire your philosophy/temperament. I think your mind and heart are in the right place. And I have no doubt that you will do it honestly out of respect for yourself and for the others who came before you. I think we are all rooting for you!

Nean
01-09-2006, 11:47
....but a few would rather....
Hope you and your family enjoyed the rest of your holiday, and I imagine it feels good to be back home!
He was asked that question on Springer MOWGLI16. He has a favorite song that inspired him through some tough times. I'll let him elaborate.
BTW Squeaky, an unsupported hike would be good training for a supported one, or vice virsa.:) :-? Cheers mate

MOWGLI
01-09-2006, 13:33
He was asked that question on Springer MOWGLI16. He has a favorite song that inspired him through some tough times. I'll let him elaborate.

I'm guessing we can safely assume it wasn't Why Don't We Do It In The Road by the Beatles? :jump

gumby
01-09-2006, 14:10
Warren, Once again you have spoken when not needed. Squeaky spoke of what he'd like to do. You are not the all knowing god of the AT even though you do have many miles under your belt.

Let Squeaky at least try it BEFORE you tell him he can't.

Hmm...I seem to remember a quote:

"It is better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all" not sure if that was the exact quote but is it close enough. Additionally here is another:

" It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try." -Richard Milhous Nixon

So instead of becoming one of your internegators why don't you just let him try.

Remember he quite recently completed a great feat that you complimented him on, now just sit back, let him recuperate, and gear up for his next outing whether it be a day hike or a trail buster.

nuff said

gumby

max patch
01-09-2006, 14:20
Warren, Once again you have spoken when not needed. Squeaky spoke of what he'd like to do. You are not the all knowing god of the AT even though you do have many miles under your belt.

Let Squeaky at least try it BEFORE you tell him he can't.

I disagree with a lot -- actually, most -- of what WD has said and done but in this instance WD has done nothing wrong. He has offered his opinion and advice on a subject in which he is qualified to speak. I think your admonishment is undeserved.

calearn
01-09-2006, 15:09
Reminds me of last year where we were all so certain there was no way Squeaky could make it from Campo to Springer, by Dec 31st when he started in May.

I've seen squeaky keep up ~45 mile days for a couple weeks on the CDT and believe 47.5 days to hike the AT without support would be totally amazing but obtainable.

Hiking the AT in 40 days without support would be 55 mile days average. That would be the next blow away all assumptions of what is possible. But hey, assumptions were blown away this year.

Congratulations and Good Luck on whatever you do!

MOWGLI
01-09-2006, 15:21
Gumby, your response to Warren is even sillier than those people who worry/complain/monitor whether or not somebody skipped a white blaze along the way. And that's really saying something!

Nean
01-09-2006, 20:36
In my opinion, your opinion..........is like a sphincter:)...........
I'm not sayin I know-it-all about Squeaky, But IMHO, WDs reasonable assessment is what make it a challenge. Squeaky doesn't want to trim a day off the record; his goal will be to blow it away. He didn't see hiking a BRTC as a challenge either; truth be known. Some will just love to take that as an insult but get past the emotion and you have some insight on how this guy thinks. He is not out to do the possible!:-? ;) :D :clap

Squeaky 2
01-09-2006, 21:22
warren i honestly appreciate the advice, i do take it on in a possitive and respectful way.........but f*** convention!!!:bse

my avg. miles of 32 mpd do take into account travel between the trails, the record snow pack in the sierras, the first time nav. difficulties of the cdt, the floods in maine, record snow in new hampshire, winter conditions on the AT, 600+ miles of snow from virginia south, night hiking every night in the early nights of winter...............

to be honest hiking 40 mpd with a pack was cake. one day sticks out in mind this year. i hiked 48 miles with the pack in 2-8 inches of snow in 16 hours to chestnut knob shelter. now change the snow to summer conditions, the early darkness to daylight, take the pack of my back and how far would i have gone that day?

i have great respect for Andrew Thompson and David Horton. they are phenomanal trail runners who possess great mental strength. i just believe running over those distances is not efficent on the body. its not that i think i am 10 days faster than these guys on like for like tactics, i just believe that hiking is a much faster and efficent way to cover 2,000 miles.

so maybe i will get back on the AT this year..........:banana

Skidsteer
01-09-2006, 21:38
Hi Squeaky!

If you decide to try it and make your start at Springer, let us know when; I'm pretty sure I could keep up with you for 15 minutes or so!:sun

Nightwalker
01-09-2006, 23:44
so maybe i will get back on the AT this year..........:banana
Don't sweat these jerks, dude. There's an awful lot of arguing and not much hiking goes on around here. Gets pretty sickening at times.

TJ aka Teej
01-10-2006, 00:12
... do you have that much more than Andrew Thompson, David Horton and/or Pete Palmer who set the standard with support? ... you will be hard-pressed to keep the daily mileage required ... decrease your daily mileage ... you will not be able to respond ... is not attainable ... is not attainable...

"&%$@ the Impossible!", right, Squeaky? :D

Sloghound
01-10-2006, 10:59
I'll claim dibs on pacing you for the first 15 seconds. Then I'll collapse as I pass the Powerbar baton.

Sloghound

Nean
01-10-2006, 11:37
Good one Sloghound!:p Did yiu read where David Horton found it easier to jog in order to keep pace with Squeaky. You do bring up something I always consider black and white.... though others my have a different opinion, and be a consideration for Squeaky during his next quest(s). Is having someone pace you support or non support? Surely my fellow WBers can find some gray for us to work with.

BobTheBuilder
01-10-2006, 12:36
My first and only post ever on WB, but I wanted to use it to congratulate Squeaky. I met him on the trail around Gooch on his summit day. I knew what an incredible hiker he was, but I was truly impressed with what a sincerely nice person he turned out to be. He actually stopped and chatted for a few minutes on the trail with some poor slob he didn't know (me) on his final day, when he still had to crank out another 15 miles or so. Now THAT was impressive. Judging from the bickering on this thread, Squeaky could teach us all something about more than just hiking. Congratulations, Squeaky. Very cool!

calearn
01-10-2006, 15:08
I wonder what the potential mileage gain for Squeaky would be hiking supported vs. unsupported?

With base pack weights now possible below 5 lbs, quick ways to purify water and packages picked up at lodges either on or close to the trail it seems like a pack would never need to exceed 20 lbs and an average pack weight could be 12 lbs or less.

I realize there are other factors such as better sleep on a supported hike and easier logistics.

I think a big help to unsupported fast thru hikers like Squeaky would be to identify potential lodges were hikers could receive mailings, either on or close to the trail, as quick re-supply would seem like one of the biggest areas an unsupported hiker could gain hiking time.

TJ aka Teej
01-10-2006, 15:53
supported vs. unsupported?

That right there is conversation fuel for a snowy day stuck in the cabin. Any hike is 'supported' in some way. The trail is marked, maintained, and mapped. What disqualifies an "unsupported" through-hike? Getting advice from a guidebook? Midnight cheering at road crossings? Hiking with another person? Getting food or water from someone else? Getting warm and drying your boots in a stranger's car? Having mail-drops? Getting a weather report? Borrowing a cell phone, map, or filter? Hitching in and out of a town? Arranging to have gear delivered? Having a relative meet you at road crossings with food, water, and a change of clothes? Crossing a stream on a log someone else has placed there? And what just qualifies an "unsupported" through-hike? Standing alone on Springer, naked with no friends, heading North guided only by the stars?
Debate "support" among yourselves - I'm off to coach a basketball game completely unsupported all by myself. Except for the gamemanship I've learned from a dozen coaches and decades of play, except for the fact the kids aren't mine, I didn't build the gym, a parent will keep the scorebook, someone else will call the fouls, there'll be another team, the ball was made in Thailand..

rickb
01-10-2006, 16:17
True, TJ. But those who do these kinds of things have already established their own traditions.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck....

Congrats again to Squeaky! :banana

MOWGLI
01-10-2006, 16:43
...the ball was made in Thailand..

So what are you trying to say TJ? Are you teaching those young impressionable kids to shop at Wal-Mart? :D

Go Squeaky, Go! :banana

AbeHikes
01-10-2006, 17:05
Squeaky...

http://cougar.slvhs.slv.k12.ca.us/~pboomer/chemlectures/qual/keepontruckin.jpg

Nean
01-10-2006, 18:17
So many beans in the pot to stir, so many cooks to stir them... :D Thank you for making some nonfictional points Teej:)! Squeaky spoke of this himself and made many of the same points. To me (my opinion) if you hike solo, don't slack, don't start off with plans to meet folks at certain places; then you are unsupported. Serendipity, flint, guidebook, loincloth, sharp rock, all ok.
But if you got somebody running you up the trail like a dog in tow and you know Team Me is waiting at the next road -well then maybe some liars would start some gossip about you being supported.;)
I think one of the biggest advantages of support, besides the huge mental one, is FOOD! When Andrew pulled in out front here, he had Juice, toast,Eggs and Sausage, etc served on a warm plate, (maybe I exaggerated about the warm plate:o), new socks, dry shoes, w/ or w/o peanuts?, JB was like a NASCAR pit crew; it was neat to watch! 7min later it's "Meet you in 7m".....&gone.... Thats got to be worth a few extra miles everyday. And a pack not much bigger than Wolf23000:clap With Squeaky, who knows what is possible.... Sorry LW, I just got finished watchin Seabiscuit:o :D

Squeaky 2
01-11-2006, 12:54
so much of my time this year was spent not hiking, do things that had no bearing on my ability to hike the 3 trails. hitch hiking for hours on end, pushing a shopping trolley around a grocery store, waiting in line at the check out, waiting in line at P.O.'s, writing out endless custom forms to manage my own posting overseas and the the next town for the bounce box. is that bad that people attempting speed records have people to do this nonsense for them.

Mags
01-11-2006, 13:08
Remember it is just hiking. "Are you enjoying yourself?" is the only "rule" that really matters in the end.

Think it is safe to say Mr. Squeaky had a heck of a time.

Squeaky, did you ever get your pints? The (excellent) interview on trailcast.org seemed to make that one of your chief concerns. :) Beer is good!

If I ever bump into you (I'm sure as heck not going to catch up to you!) in Colorado, I'll buy you a Fat Tire. Wonderful beer brewed here. Think you'll like it.

Fiddler
01-11-2006, 13:08
is that bad that people attempting speed records have people to do this nonsense for them.

If you attempt a speed record you should be judged by how long you take to get from the starting point to the ending point. The fact that others helped supply food and other necessities should have nothing to do with it. No professional race car driver gets out and changes his own tires or puts fuel in his car. That is the job of the PIT CREW. But it is the DRIVER that is credited with any new records that may be set. Why should hiking be any different?

Squeaky 2
01-11-2006, 13:44
sorry got the grammer wrong in the last post. meant to say 'is it that bad..... in last post.

i will quite possibly be going for the AT speed record this summer myself and would like to have full support to see just what i can do being on the trail 24/7. still think i would drop 8- 10 days of the current time!

so there is something to get your teeth into:bse

Lone Wolf
01-11-2006, 13:46
Under 40 days huh? Hmmm.:-?

Lone Wolf
01-11-2006, 13:57
sorry got the grammer wrong in the last post. meant to say 'is it that bad..... in last post.

i will quite possibly be going for the AT speed record this summer myself and would like to have full support to see just what i can do being on the trail 24/7. still think i would drop 8- 10 days of the current time!

so there is something to get your teeth into:bse
Want some help? I've done support for Horton, Maineak and Andy Thompson.

weary
01-11-2006, 14:10
If you attempt a speed record you should be judged by how long you take to get from the starting point to the ending point. The fact that others helped supply food and other necessities should have nothing to do with it. No professional race car driver gets out and changes his own tires or puts fuel in his car. That is the job of the PIT CREW. But it is the DRIVER that is credited with any new records that may be set. Why should hiking be any different?
REquirements for hiking records should be whatever the record attemptor wants them to be since there is no official body to establish requirements, none to verify compliance, or even any way to verify compliance.

Trails are recreational facilities open to hiking in any manner a hiker wants to hike them. Most of us hike in ways that are most convenient and most enjoyable to ourselves.

Squeaky performed a remarkable physical feat in my opinion. I hope he enjoyed himself while doing so. I hope he finds his next hike equally enjoyable. But there is no such thing as a record for such hikes other than in the minds of the persons doing them and those who hear about them.

It's my personal hope that trails remain primarily recreational facilities, as I suspect they will.

Getting back to the original question posed by Squeaky. It matters not to me whether he hitches or has someone drive him to stores while he recreates on our trails. He can even have someone do his shopping for him, just as my wife occasionally shopped for me when I walked north from Springer in 1993.

Weary

Squeaky 2
01-11-2006, 14:32
l.wolf if you are serious as i know nean is your on. but i need someone who is going to be in from start to end and has a knowledge of the trails and roads to get to me on time. think your up for it? sub 40 is what i have set my mind on, its what i will achieve if my team pulls together and runs smoothly. it will be new for me to be crewed but i am well up for it. lets blow away all ideas of whats possible!

Lone Wolf
01-11-2006, 14:33
NOBO or SOBO and when do you think you may want to start?

calearn
01-11-2006, 14:49
If this gets further along, I wonder if Whiteblaze could set up a Paypal sponsor account we could donate to. It would be too cool if one of the Squeaky sponsors is the Whiteblaze Community :)

Squeaky 2
01-11-2006, 15:31
sobo is the way i have hiked the trail twice before, but more importantly its the way andrew thompson set the new record. it might be the A.T. but nobo and sobo are totally different trails, climbs are downhills and vice versa. sobo is the answer. i will start 20 days before summer solstice to maximize day light hours, providing conditions suit e.g. the snow has gone.
i will only hike and possibly run the last week in total burn out mode. i just want to test the theory of hiking being faster on long trails.

as for paypal sponsors from this sight, its a cool idea, but i would feel to much pressure not to let people down. my mind has to be on one thing only.................girls!

Mags
01-11-2006, 15:48
my mind has to be on one thing only.................girls!

But..what about beer? :)

Hope you do this! Be cool to see "just a hiker" go faster than the trailrunners. Too many trailrunners where I live turn their nose at just hiking. ;)

Fiddler
01-11-2006, 15:56
But..what about beer? :)

The girls bring the beer.

Mags
01-11-2006, 16:16
The girls bring the beer.

Good point! Very efficient!

TJ aka Teej
01-11-2006, 16:18
i will start 20 days before summer solstice to maximize day light hours, providing conditions suit e.g. the snow has gone.

The AT on Katahdin should be open by then, Squeaky. You'll be moving too fast to be bothered by the blackflies. Whoever is doing your logistics should look for two nights of reservations at Katahdin Stream Campground, just in case you have to wait out a rainstorm. Put them in contact with me if you wish, I know a bit about Katahdin and Baxter in May & June and the AT in Maine.
www.baxterstateparkauthority.com (http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com) < info about '06 reservations.

Wonder
01-11-2006, 17:03
I know what you mean about sponser pressure......I had a big fund raiser in Sept. and then was in a big car accident a week later. I could tell that people wanted to make sure that I was going to be ok on time.....that their money was still going to the same cause. Even after an (almost) full recovery, I still feel the pressure

dizzyT
01-11-2006, 18:47
I have been in competitive sports my entire life and I took up hiking to get a break from it. What was I thinking.

"Every time I try to get out they pull me back in"

MOWGLI
01-11-2006, 18:57
I have been in competitive sports my entire life and I took up hiking to get a break from it. What was I thinking.

"Every time I try to get out they pull me back in"

Somebody's been watchin' The Sopranos. :banana

http://www.hbo.com/sopranos/img/252x190/episodes/season05/ep53_silvio_paulie.jpg

dizzyT
01-11-2006, 19:29
The Godfather actually but I like both

Nean
01-11-2006, 21:43
Lots of people jog/run; doesn't mean they are all competing! For many years, those of us within the hiking community have noted the difference between a supported and unsupported hike, just for fun. We make our own rules true; and that reflects our personal integrity. If Squeaky wants to run the roads(w/ leash?), take all the "cut-offs", plan vehicle support and then claim an unsupported record.....I guess he can.:) There is always that hair to be found and split...;) but for others, common sense will do.

I had hoped LW would reiterate his offer. With 2 support people leap frogging I would think it would be that much easier to meet, support and continue at road crossings. I'll start working w/ the data book to start gettig an idea of what might work.
Any other ideas for sponsorship?? To give you another idea of Squeakys character, he gave most of his gear to a young woman at Amicalola who was not in good shape and had 87lbs of Walmart gear. We got her down to 37lbs but alas, she disappeared.

Lone Wolf
01-11-2006, 21:47
My offer stands. Let's do it.

Skidsteer
01-11-2006, 22:19
I'd help out in Ga. Course, that's @ 1 1/2-2 days hiking for Squeaky. Maybe I can help in N.C. as well.:)

Nean
01-11-2006, 22:22
So we are talking june 1st to 9 july -/- ;). Anyone have thougts on optimium start date? Squeakys thought is based on daylight -but I wonder if the trail might be in better shape weatherwise and more conducive to big miles with a slightly later start?:-?

Whistler
01-11-2006, 22:29
I'd also be willing to pitch in for the 3-4 southernmost states. Maybe some pacing/whip-cracking. Guess I'll just have to keep tabs this summer and join in when the party comes my way.
-Mark

Skidsteer
01-11-2006, 22:31
So we are talking june 1st to 9 july -/- ;). Anyone have thougts on optimium start date? Squeakys thought is based on daylight -but I wonder if the trail might be in better shape weatherwise and more conducive to big miles with a slightly later start?:-?

Possibly play it by ear and follow weather/trail reports? If Squeaky's schedule has some wiggle room, that is. I imagine it'd be tough on him to be waiting around for the "right" time to pull the trigger though. Squeaky?

weary
01-11-2006, 23:41
Possibly play it by ear and follow weather/trail reports? If Squeaky's schedule has some wiggle room, that is. I imagine it'd be tough on him to be waiting around for the "right" time to pull the trigger though. Squeaky?
If a southbound hike is planned, I would start July 1 to escape possible high water levels and the worst of the black flies in Maine, both of which could slow down a record attempt. A later start, of course, would add to the possible temperature problems in the south.

Heater
01-12-2006, 00:03
If a southbound hike is planned, I would start July 1 to escape possible high water levels and the worst of the black flies in Maine, both of which could slow down a record attempt. A later start, of course, would add to the possible temperature problems in the south.

When he did the Lower portion of the CDT it musta been pretty darned hot and scarce on water. I don't think that will be a problem as he has experienced that already.

The blackflies? Yeah, he'll be moving along pretty fast but what I hear... they are relentless. If he maintains a high pace I think a headnet and long sleeves/pants would be OK but I will defer to others more knowledgable on that matter.

TJ aka Teej
01-12-2006, 00:12
Weary's July 1 date allows for chainsaw work on the blowdowns in Maine and New Hampshire (good thing) but puts you into prime thunderstorm time throughout the remainder of the hike. Get into Baxter June 1st (after Memorial Day Weekend hikers have opened up the Hunt Trail), start at daybreak from Baxter Peak, and out pace the bugs. Downside will be the certainty of wet feet and blisters (bad things).

weary
01-12-2006, 00:13
When he did the Lower portion of the CDT it musta been pretty darned hot and scarce on water. I don't think that will be a problem as he has experienced that already.

The blackflies? Yeah, he'll be moving along pretty fast but what I hear... they are relentless. If he maintains a high pace I think a headnet and long sleeves/pants would be OK but I will defer to others more knowledgable on that matter.
Both black flies and stream crossings consume energy, especially the latter, something to be avoided on a record attempt.

Heater
01-12-2006, 00:55
Both black flies and stream crossings consume energy, especially the latter, something to be avoided on a record attempt.

Plus a dry trail to walk on. That would be a big factor on a record attempt. I don't think the daylight hours would be as much of a factor on a fourty day hike when you consider a clear and dry trail. I think your July 1 start or maybe a little later seems like the best option.

Squeaky 2
01-12-2006, 09:41
f--k it. lets do it

lack of maintainance is a very valid point. black flies wont slow me down and were only an issue in 03 when i stopped. streams are not going to be as bad as they were in 05 when 70 miles of the 100 mile wilderness was under water, unless freak weather. one major issue might be female fans throwing underwear at me.................

Heater
01-12-2006, 09:51
f--k it. lets do it

lack of maintainance is a very valid point. black flies wont slow me down and were only an issue in 03 when i stopped. streams are not going to be as bad as they were in 05 when 70 miles of the 100 mile wilderness was under water, unless freak weather. one major issue might be female fans throwing underwear at me.................

:D

If I was younger, and going to do it supported, (water) I'd be doing it the last of July and all of August.

UK Pod Bob
01-12-2006, 12:08
I'm hoping to interview Squeaky next week for inclusion in my podcasting site in the UK for the lightweight backpacker. I heard the Trailcast one and he sounds like a fascinating dude and a very focussed one.

Interesting the amount of coverage he is now getting in the UK, when I think he is quite understated in his comments. Even Chris Townsend was knocked out by his achievement and he will be listening with great interest to what he's got to say.

Anyway, plenty of podcasts to do with lightweight backpacking in the UK scene to be found at www.backpackinglight.co.uk (http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk), or on itunes. If anyone is thinking of heading our way, I'm shortly doing something about land access law and Scottish Mountain Bothys, which may be of interest.

Anyway, crongrats once again Squeaky and I look forward to our chat next week.

UK Pod Bob!

Nean
01-12-2006, 13:03
I can't post. Testing 1234....

weary
01-12-2006, 13:39
:D

If I was younger, and going to do it supported, (water) I'd be doing it the last of July and all of August.
And upon reflection, I'd seriously consider a September 1 start. The trails then are more apt to be dry, well maintained, and less crowded -- thus fewer girls seeking to distract by discarding clothing items.

Heater
01-12-2006, 13:52
And upon reflection, I'd seriously consider a September 1 start. The trails then are more apt to be dry, well maintained, and less crowded -- thus fewer girls seeking to distract by discarding clothing items.

That's only because you are old and those kind of things do not interest you anymore.

;)

Squeaky is still young, you see. Plus they are bringing the pints.

MOWGLI
01-12-2006, 13:53

I think you missed the point Weary. It's ALL about the panty fetish. :jump ;)

Mags
01-12-2006, 13:53
The Godfather actually but I like both

It was the Godfather III. Al Pacino said it. In the Sopranos, the the charcter played by Steve Van Zandt (yeah..the same guy from the E-Street band) , who plays Silvio Dante, impersonates Al Pacino as Michael Corleone in the GF movies.

Of course, if you are a fillm buff, you try to pretend the GF3 does not exist. ;)

(..growing up in RI, you tend to soak up mob movies by osmosis. Heck, if you read books about RI, it sounds like a script for a mob movie anyway!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0375507809/qid=1137088300/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/103-9159972-4168605?n=507846&s=books&v=glance

Back to Squeaky's pursuit of women. :)

Heater
01-12-2006, 13:58
It was the Godfather III. Al Pacino said it. In the Sopranos, the the charcter played by Steve Van Zandt (yeah..the same guy from the E-Street band) , who plays Silvio Dante, impersonates Al Pacino as Michael Corleone in the GF movies.

Speaking of little Stevie... my local radio station will be picking up his show next week and that is cool. :cool:

:clap

Alligator
01-12-2006, 14:04
I can't post. Testing 1234....
Maybe you put yourself on your ignore list by accident.

Alligator
01-12-2006, 14:10
A note to Squeaky regarding planning. It's not the heat in the Mid-Atlantic States that's bad, it's the humidity. I know you've faced many weather variations, but a week of high humidity could be tough on the lungs. I don't think it's an overriding concern, just something to consider.

Nean
01-12-2006, 21:11
But I'll try again anyways. Thanks for the input everyone; Warren, when, why would you start?
I'd think any underwear thrown on the trail would only speed him up. Reminds me of a bad joke about a bowling ball.:o
Chris Townsends reaction is a good indicator Pod Bob, and as you know, that says something.

Nean
01-13-2006, 13:10
I was just discussing w/ Squeaky the possibility of snow in the Whites if he starts too early. If he gets there before it starts to go rotten he might even make better time, but.... When on average is the trail clear in the Whites?

Sloghound
01-20-2006, 11:23
Hello, fellow readers.

Has anyone else been surprised to see the posts here dwindle to nothing? I've been eager to hear anything from Squeaky regarding his post trip reflections, but don't want to bombard his email. Nothing has been posted on his Trail Journals site since December 10th. Is Squeaky such a private person that "That's all there is" when it comes to written reports, of any length? Or is he still decompressing, and trailing those beer-laden girls?
He sure earned that duty.....

James W. Jones

Nean
01-20-2006, 11:35
Hey Sloghound, this thread may have ran its course, at least until this summer.;) Squeaky has a new thread, A.T. sub40 challenge. See ya there

Sloghound
01-20-2006, 21:59
Can't find A.T. sub40 challenge thread yet. Where is it? Is it going so fast I couldn't see it?

Thanks, James