PDA

View Full Version : Two 17 year olds thru hike in around 60 days. Is it possible?

k.boone88
01-24-2016, 20:37
My friend and I want to thru-hike the AT in the summer of 2017. We have plenty of time to train, but we have to finish in around 60 days, so we can get back to school. We have light packweights, are very passionate, and are pretty fit soccer players. Any chance we can do it?

Kaptainkriz
01-24-2016, 20:41
37 miles a day, every day, can you?

One Half
01-24-2016, 20:44
37 miles a day, every day, can you?

like he said ^^^

It's possible. Will it be a supported or self supported thru hike? Realize the speed records are about 54 days?

Woodturner
01-24-2016, 20:46
It's been done, but very few could get away with it. It would probably take away a lot of the enjoyment you would get with a saner pace.
IMO you would be better off to try getting an extra month at each end. Ask the school administrators. If you can make a case for education gained by walking it might surprise you. This too has been done.

The best alternative might be waiting one more year. The school concern won't be there and your bodies might be a little better to handle the stresses of hiking every day.

MuddyWaters
01-24-2016, 20:46
probably not.
And Im being polite.

Nothing wrong with hiking as far as you can get though.

DavidNH
01-24-2016, 20:53
Yes it's possible. Is it desirable? worth it? would it be any fun? I highly doubt it. Why not just do half the trail and actually enjoy the experience. I don't get these speed hiking yahoos who think life is all about competition.

Lone Wolf
01-24-2016, 20:57
My friend and I want to thru-hike the AT in the summer of 2017. We have plenty of time to train, but we have to finish in around 60 days, so we can get back to school. We have light packweights, are very passionate, and are pretty fit soccer players. Any chance we can do it?

heck yeah. go for it

rafe
01-24-2016, 20:59
Odds are about 1 in 1000, I'd say. Why not just hike as far as you can in that time? The trail's not going anywhere.

4eyedbuzzard
01-24-2016, 21:09
60 days? That's actually hiking (feet moving northbound on the trail - not camping, eating, taking breaks, resupplying in town, etc) 12+ hours per day at an average 3 miles per hour. Every day, every possible daylight hour. That's really, really, hard to do.

Less than a handful of very experienced long distance hikers have ever completed the AT that quickly.

I doubt 1% of those who complete the trail do so in under 90 days, never mind 60.

So, go for it! But even if you are in top shape, you need to have a back-up plan to get back home if you don't make it.

illabelle
01-24-2016, 21:22
Y'all are so pessimistic. Pay attention, there's two of 'em. One can hike the northern half while the other hikes the southern half.
:bse

Heliotrope
01-24-2016, 21:49
Half the trail is a great goal. Enjoy it whatever you do.! If it's only half come back the following summer for the rest of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AO2134
01-24-2016, 21:51
Possible, but statistically unlikely. But heck man, just because most can't do it, doesn't mean you can't. Don't limit yourself by the limitations of others. I don't think I could ever keep that pace.

What is your backpacking experience? Don't underestimate the collective toll on your body of doing tough miles day in and day out.

Water Rat
01-24-2016, 22:26

:welcome to White Blaze! It's pretty rare for anyone to finish the trail in 60 days, but that does not mean it cannot be done. You and your friend will have to decide how bad you want to attain that goal and then go for it.

You have plenty of time to train and plan for your trek. Do know that while general fitness is great and extremely helpful, the only thing that truly prepares you for backpacking is actual backpacking. Do you and your friend have spring break free? Time during this summer? Getting in some practice trips will help you to decide what gear works (and what gear needs to change for a longer trek), what you might need to do differently (if anything) in your daily conditioning, and can get some of the questions answered in advance of your hike.

Even if you ultimately decide not to go for the whole trail in one attempt - Get out there and have fun! :) Best of luck and I wish you a safe & happy hike!

iAmKrzys
01-24-2016, 22:52
I rarely achieve all my goals but if I don't set them I achieve much less. Good luck!

Sarcasm the elf
01-24-2016, 23:09

The current Men's record for a traditional thru hike on the trail 58 days 9 hours*, prior to that the record of 60.5 days held for nearly two decades. So the short answer is no, you can't reasonably expect to hop on trail and complete it in 60 days.

The good news is that if you have 60 days to be on the trail, then you can be on the trail for 60 days. So go for it, knock out a thousand or so miles in those two months and have the time of your lives. You won't regret it.

*There are no official record of fastest hike times. The accepted fastest known times are done on the honor system and kept track of at the FKT site http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/thread/6

k.boone88
01-25-2016, 00:01
Thanks for all the feedback! Excited to try no matter what. Any speed and/or training tips

cmoulder
01-25-2016, 00:37
Do some week-long "shakedown cruises" to hone your hiking technique, to find out if your gear is comfortable and adequate, and that your shoes fit well. And practice making and striking your camp quickly. After consecutive 40-mile days you're going to want your kit really dialed in so that you can eat dinner and get to sleep quickly.

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2016, 00:49
Here's the quick test: Start training and building up by running distances, and running stairs and hills, and anything else you can, with a loaded pack. This spring or summer, once in shape, go to Amicalola Falls State Park in GA. Start at the crack of dawn on the Approach Trail and hike as fast as you can northbound continuing onto the AT at its beginning on Springer Mtn. If you don't make Neel Gap by sunset, you aren't going to make it.

Woodturner
01-25-2016, 06:36
Here's the quick test: Start training and building up by running distances, and running stairs and hills, and anything else you can, with a loaded pack. This spring or summer, once in shape, go to Amicalola Falls State Park in GA. Start at the crack of dawn on the Approach Trail and hike as fast as you can northbound continuing onto the AT at its beginning on Springer Mtn. If you don't make Neel Gap by sunset, you aren't going to make it.

You should have added:
And then ask yourself if you can do it every day for sixty days in a row.

FatMan
01-25-2016, 07:57
Go for it!

It doesn't matter if you don't get all the way in 60 days. In fact once you get out there you may very well decide that a slower pace will be more to your liking. The trail will always be waiting when time permits for you to finish up.

Gambit McCrae
01-25-2016, 08:20
This OP question really brings back the memories haha. Young and ambitious, with little experience in what really matters, the course of your trip, not how far ya make it.

When I was graduating college, Im assuming you want to thru hike after you graduate and go on to college, I had big dreams and plans to thru hike and then go on get a job. EVERY SINGLE TRIP I was killing miles, trying to further and further until finally! I had no more hiking buddies!

My suggestion to you two guys would be to start in springer like every one else, take your 60 days 1 day at a time and enjoy the journey..
Get as far as you can and if you don't finish it, you've just done a huge chunk of it and have the rest of your life to finish it on up.

Physically it can be done, realistically? not so much, and if so, will you enjoy it? Probably not.

colorado_rob
01-25-2016, 08:34
Thanks for all the feedback! Excited to try no matter what. Any speed and/or training tipsYeah, work on your gear list to make sure you have a relatively light pack and start toughening up your feet. It's not about aerobics (with short exceptions), it's about foot/leg and mental toughness. My little circle of hiking pals are getting ready to start our annual get-over-the-holidays toughen-up-for-the-spring/summer training, which consists of long (16-20 miles @ 4 mph)) after-work walks on our Denver city trails. We have a blast.

And everyone has a different definition of enjoyment, some of us really enjoy pushing big mile days, day after day after day. I'm out there to hike and see around the next corner, not to sit around camps and shelters.

MockingJay
01-25-2016, 08:47

Finish the trail in 60 days? Not likely. But you have to ask yourself this: what's my reason for doing this? Is it to see how fast I can do it or have a grand adventure over summer break? If I could go back to 15 or 16 and have the resources to do what you're planning to do, I'd absolutely plan to do that 60 days regardless of how far I get. I guarantee none of your schoolmates will have a better story to tell. Go for it but be realistic about your distance expectations. I'm guessing that's your summer before or after senior year? I'd do half one summer and half the next or what until you graduate, put in one semester of school and then take the next spring and summer off for a thru hike.

MockingJay
01-25-2016, 08:50
Thanks for all the feedback! Excited to try no matter what. Any speed and/or training tips

Do or do not...there is no try.

Mr. Bumpy
01-25-2016, 09:07
I have completed month+ long bicycle tours both solo, with a partner, and with small groups. I've never backpacked by myself for more than three weeks at a time and have only gone with a partner a couple of times for two week long shots, so take my info with a grain of salt. There is not much physical comparison between bicycle and backpack, however what I experienced with the cycle touring and with backpacking is that having a partner will slow you down. By adding a person there is more likelihood of someone getting sick or injured, and it is inevitable that when one person is physically or mentally high the other is low, and both of these things will slow you down.

But you'll never know unless you try.

And ask yourself before hand how you will feel if you kicked butt and did it, but took 61 days.

garlic08
01-25-2016, 09:12
I'm a 106-day AT veteran, a not-too-shabby 20 mpd pace, and I'll throw in this advice: It's not all about physical and mental toughness/attitude. Much of it is about utmost attention to the minutiae of daily trail life that keeps you on the trail. Even the pair of socks you put on in the morning can be critical by the end of the day. So is the ability to have a pair clean and dry for the next day. The decision to take a few minutes to wash your feet and take a rest, to fill up the water bottle in the right places even when you don't want to stop, to eat fresh greens in town when you have more a taste for ice cream, knowing where and how to set up camp in the right place during a thunderstorm, or if it's best to keep walking until the storm is over.

Blisters, sunburn, chafing, a cyst or boil, contact dermatitis from a poison plant, insect stings or bites, allergies are very common skin maladies that will slow you down or stop you for a while. Your skin is your largest organ and you need to know how to take care of it, long term, on the trail.

And the gear--at a fast pace you won't be able to take a day off to try out a new tent or backpack. You won't believe how critical shoes are until your second or third 30+ mile day in a row.

Town stops need to be absolutely efficient: get your laundry done, get a shower, check your mail, pay your bills, luv-ya-mom, buy groceries, get a big meal, and leave.

For training and shake-down, I suggest finding some fun 100-mile hikes. (If at all possible, try the something like the Wonderland Trail in Washington State--23,000 feet of climbing on a 93-mile loop--there's the physical toughness part.) Ramp up to a three-day pace. When you can do that in a weekend and feel ready to do it again the next weekend, you may be ready for a 60-day attempt on the AT.

As others have said, it's huge undertaking but you certainly won't achieve it unless you try. Any attempt at all is better than sitting on the couch (and telling others they can't do it). Best of luck!

colorado_rob
01-25-2016, 09:21
... Much of it is about utmost attention to the minutiae of daily trail life that keeps you on the trail. Even the pair of socks you put on in the morning can be critical by the end of the day. So is the ability to have a pair clean and dry for the next day. The decision to take a few minutes to wash your feet and take a rest, to fill up the water bottle in the right places even when you don't want to stop, to eat fresh greens in town when you have more a taste for ice cream, knowing where and how to set up camp in the right place during a thunderstorm, or if it's best to keep walking until the storm is over. ... True all this!

Puddlefish
01-25-2016, 09:33
Serious training as a teen is very complicated. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3787286/ Some of this applies to prepubesence, some applies to teens where there are still hormonal changes going on.

I'll echo the other's. Don't try the whole trail. Do a section at a more relaxed pace without hard daily goals. Want to complete a whole trail, maybe pick a shorter trail. By all means get out there and hike somewhere, and have fun.

firesign
01-25-2016, 09:34

Around 80% of potential thru hikers start the AT without a deadline, i.e. they just want to succeed and hike the 2,187 miles. This same large group of several thousand people fail to achieve their objective each year (there must be a very good reason for this high failure rate) Most of this group are young people; fit, active, healthy and still fail. Therefore what you propose is in a completely different league - the very narrow end of the wedge. .

Is it possible? Yes, but highly unlikely. Ask yourselves this question: why set yourselves up for failure, when you can set yourselves up for a much better chance of success? The only difference is time (this includes time to train for the reality of the AT). You need more time: less miles each day, more rest, less chance of injury, stronger immune system against illness and the list goes on...

If you want to go for it, research the very very tiny group of people who are capable of what you propose; consider their experience, age, training regimes, mental conditioning, knowledge of the trail, weather conditions, the indepth logistical planning, nutrition, support team, sponsorship/ finance and legal representation (if required).

Here's a much better idea: wait until you both have about 5 months to spare; head northbound in the middle of the bubble and party Rockstars!

Best of Luck.

Pedaling Fool
01-25-2016, 09:36
Thanks for all the feedback! Excited to try no matter what. Any speed and/or training tipsYou guys will NOT be able to hike the trail in 60 days. You just don't have the stamina at your young age, body still expending too much energy growing, not necessarily in height, but your muscles are still developing at 17, as well as other things, both in your musculoskeletal system, but also in your cardio system. Look at pro sports and most athletes don't come into top shape until there mid/upper 20's.

I give a lot of advice (using that word loosely:D) here on physical preparations for the trail, but never for speed events; my focus is primarily on health practices in general (especially for us over-the-hillers:(:)), not super-human efforts, so I got nothing there...

However, I still say go for it, the trail teaches you things about yourself, it teached me a lot (at 42y/o), which is still part of my life now, nearly 10-years later.

Gambit McCrae
01-25-2016, 09:53
When My kids turn 16/ junior year summer break im driving them to springer, hike GA with them and tell them to call me in 3 months lol

SteelCut
01-25-2016, 10:30
I say go for it. You probably won't do the entire trail in 60 days but just do what you can do. It will be a grand adventure and you can always come back and finish up whatever sections are left or you may find that you will learn enough to someday do a 60 day thru hike.

Bronk
01-25-2016, 10:37
Set a goal of making it to Damascus...once you get there you can decide how much further you want to go. How many people do you know that have hiked 500 miles? You don't have to do the whole trail...it will be there.

nopro
01-25-2016, 11:06
Everything is possible. But it is highly improbable.

Sent from my KFAPWI using Tapatalk

QHShowoman
01-25-2016, 11:29

Possible, but not probable.

Scott Jurek currently holds the record for the fastest SUPPORTED through hike and it took him almost 47 days.
Heather Anderson did it completely self-supported and it took her almost 55 days.

If you have the time and the means, just hike and see how far you get. Don't rush it to make your finish date - just enjoy it.

Lone Wolf
01-25-2016, 12:11

heck yeah. go for it

but in all seriousness, no you cannot walk this trail in 60 days at this time in your life

Busky2
01-25-2016, 13:05
I know two linebackers that tried to do it fast and found out it was not at all possible. The were fit strong young and fired up but spent way too much time finding supplies finding the trail again or even a friendly faces as gas station maps were all they had. 50+ pound packs were standard then and a canvas tent weighed a ton when wet. The trail had many road walks and few angles most hikers were though of as leftover hippies, drifters and homeless even once was called moonies. There was no guide books that I know of, oh the summer of '78. Nope I don't think it could be done now even though I thought it could be then. I am older, wiser and slower, but best of luck.

Dogwood
01-25-2016, 13:20
Not what stubborn lacking in knowledge or awareness gluttonous people want to readily hear but section hike. Plan on a section hike from the get go not a 2200 mile AT hike. It'll be BEST for the two of you. It's 99.99 % of what's going to happen anyhow.

More is not always better.

12trysomething
01-25-2016, 13:37
Only one way to find out. The one guarantee being, the trail and your body will regulate how far you make it. You may finish in 59 days or you may come off the trail short of the end at day 60. Give it a go.

Venchka
01-25-2016, 15:38
As many have said, you may not be a fit as you think. You may not be as mentally prepared as you need to be. You certainly don't have the fitness and trail wisdom of people like Jennifer Pharr Davis or Heather Anderson.
On the other hand, never put off until tomorrow what you can start today.
By all means, start your AT hike on Day 1 of your 60 day window. Stop on Day 60. Savor the experience forever.
You will never wake up every morning thinking, "If only I shoulda, coulda, woulda..."
When is Day 1 of your 60 day window? For planning help purposes?
Good luck!

Wayne

AO2134
01-25-2016, 16:29
You may not be as mentally prepared as you need to be.

A large number of people who thru hike quit before ever seeing their first their first state crossing. I can't remember the statistic, but let's say it is between 20-30%. As their excuse, they often say, "it wasn't what I was expecting." I often laugh at this response because I have no what else they could have possibly expected. An escalator? I don't know. It shows they set off for this experience with no notion of what it really takes to hike.

It looks like you are from AL. Consider hiking the Pinhoti Trail as often as possible. Although it is much flatter and easier than the AT, it does provide you with 140 miles worth of trails from Bull Gap to AL-GA border. Try to do the 140 miles in 7 days or less. That would be a 20 mile per day pace on an easier trail. If you can't do that, then you know you can't do the AT at that pace. At least not yet!

Hiking is different from being "in shape." I've taken tennis players, football players, runners, and MMA fighters whose workout made me hurl in less than an hour. People who everyone would say is in shape. After 8-10 miles, they were ready to stop. "Being in shape", even futebol shape, does not always translate into being in hiking shape. I've personally been in awesome shape and only able to muster 16-18 mile days. I've also been in terrible real life shape, but somehow managed to be in pretty good hiking shape and allowed me to do 18-24 mile days. They are two different things.

So, for any chance of success in this trip, get out and hike as often as possible and for as long as possible.

In your spring break, come to GA. Start at Springer. Hike as after as you can in 4-5 days. Get some experience so you don't end up like those idiots who say "this is not what I expected" because make no mistake: anyone who says that is a certifiable idiot. There are plenty of valid reasons to give up an an AT Thru hike. Having no trail experience before you set off on this type of hike is never one of them.

If you want to "save" the AT for your thru hike attempt (something I completely understand) and you don't want to touch the AT until you thru hike the AT, consider doing a section of the Benton MacKaye Trail which is pretty analogous to the AT. Perhaps even the Foothills trail.

All that being said, I am supportive of your attempt, albeit it is incredibly unlikely. Don't limit yourself by others limitations, but for the love of god know what the heck you are getting yourself into. I could never do 37 miles per day for 60 days straight, but it doesn't mean you guys can't. goodluck!

Colter
01-25-2016, 16:41
but in all seriousness, no you cannot walk this trail in 60 days at this time in your life

I agree. There are too many lessons to be learned on gear, pacing, physical conditioning, and mental toughness to have any realistic chance of two of you pulling this off at such an extreme pace.

There is no reason you can't complete some other incredible adventure in those 60 days, including a section hike or something else altogether.

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2016, 17:20
Some thoughts gathered over the years to share with our two young prospective thru-hikers:

The journey IS the destination.

There is a plaque at the southern terminus on Springer that reads, "A footpath for those who seek fellowship with the wilderness."

Benton MacKaye on the purpose of hiking the trail: "To walk. To see. To see what you see."

MacKaye was asked late in his life, in the early 1970's, what he thought of the idea of those who hiked the trail seeking to do so in the fastest time. At the time, Eric Ryback had reported hiking the AT in 1969, at age 17, in just 81 days. MacKaye, while acknowledging the inner personal motivation for such feats, commented, "I would give an award to those that took the longest."

DoPandasRead
01-26-2016, 12:15
Dear OP,

Do it, just do it! Don’t let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday you said tomorrow. So just do it! Make your dreams come true. Just do it. Some people dream of success, while you’re going to wake up and work hard at it. Nothing is impossible… you should get to the point where anyone else would quit and you’re not going to stop there. NO! What are you waiting for?! DO IT! JUST DO IT! YES YOU CAN! JUST DO IT! If you’re tired of starting over, stop giving up.

-Shia Labeouf

Slo-go'en
01-26-2016, 13:15
I think these two 15 year old daydreamers have already moved on.

squeezebox
01-26-2016, 14:59
The growth plate in long bones in males usually does not close usually until 18-21. They would risk serious skeletal consequences. Also the muscular system is not fully developer, risks there too. Torn ligaments, torn bone fascia?? Also endurance? Many Ultra distance runners and ultra cyclists take many years to develop their endurance base. And then work on their speed. Look at the age of the record holders! There's a big reason for that.
So a 17 yr. old trying a 60 day thru could cause serious maybe permanent, damage. Do your 60 days at whatever distance, and have fun. It's about hiking. There's nothing magic about a thru.

Googan
01-26-2016, 23:33
I would say 1 person maybe, but both of you I'm not so sure. It would be a great accomplishment though if you both did it in 60

lwhikerchris
02-03-2016, 22:17
Dear OP,

Do it, just do it! Don’t let your dreams be dreams. Yesterday you said tomorrow. So just do it! Make your dreams come true. Just do it. Some people dream of success, while you’re going to wake up and work hard at it. Nothing is impossible… you should get to the point where anyone else would quit and you’re not going to stop there. NO! What are you waiting for?! DO IT! JUST DO IT! YES YOU CAN! JUST DO IT! If you’re tired of starting over, stop giving up.

-Shia Labeouf

LOL Yes! This made me laugh, thank you

shelb
02-04-2016, 01:11
Go for it - but realize you are trying to see "how far you can get in 60 days."

Then, enjoy it! Make a compact to go back the following year to finish. (Or, if necessary, for a certain period of time the following two years - to finish)

High Mileage
02-29-2016, 22:31
I'd say yes but the odds of finishing in that time would be extremely rare, especially as a team. The probability would be higher solo as 2 people hiking at the same pace for that many miles a day is really making a mostly unrealistic idea even that much harder. Shin splints could kick in on one you or any kind of misfortune.
90 days is a really big push and is rather rare feat itself.
I would just aim to do as much as yall can be happy shooting for how far you can go.

GreenBlaze
03-01-2016, 04:27

In a perfect world it would be possible, but unfortunately for you, it's not perfect. You WILL encounter unexpected circumstances that can and will delay you. On such a tight schedule, all it would take is one or two of these to destroy you mentally and make it all but impossible to complete your lofty goals of a 60 day thru. Good Luck!

Chris10
03-01-2016, 08:24
You could do it but why? Hiking that fast would be like taking a cruise but never leaving your cabin! There's so much to see along the way. But, Hike your own hike!

mortonjl
04-02-2016, 05:49
I doubt it very much.

OkeefenokeeJoe
04-02-2016, 09:25
I'd say go for it.

You are young and certainly due for your first body-slam-on-the-sidewalk lesson in reality from Mother Nature.

Further Advice: Keep Plan B close at hand.

Okeefenokee

Hoofit
04-02-2016, 10:16

Sure. Here"s how you do it.....
1 hikes, the other drives the gear....next day, swap over, hit some hostels along the way, slack pack. together and have them drive your car to the next spot....maybe, just maybe you can " git er done!
Good luck!

rdljr
04-02-2016, 10:54
Come on people lets think outside the bubble, if one starts at the northern end and the other the southern, between the two of them I think they could do the whole trail in 60 days.

RockDoc
04-02-2016, 14:43
Physically there's few animals tougher than a 17 year old male.

However, I question whether the mental strength is there...

You know what they say, "it's 80% physical, the other half is mental."

Long ago I hit the AT for an entire summer at the age of 17. The physical part was not a problem...

dudeijuststarted
04-02-2016, 15:42
haha no way jose

Puddlefish
04-02-2016, 16:07
The OP hasn't responded in 3 months, probably skipped the AT entirely and is currently climbing Everest.

Slo-go'en
04-02-2016, 16:14
The OP hasn't responded in 3 months, probably skipped the AT entirely and is currently climbing Everest.

Yea, his idea was shot down within the first couple of hours. On to some other great adventure plan.

Diamondlil
04-03-2016, 10:49
:welcome to White Blaze! It's pretty rare for anyone to finish the trail in 60 days, but that does not mean it cannot be done. You and your friend will have to decide how bad you want to attain that goal and then go for it.

You have plenty of time to train and plan for your trek. Do know that while general fitness is great and extremely helpful, the only thing that truly prepares you for backpacking is actual backpacking. Do you and your friend have spring break free? Time during this summer? Getting in some practice trips will help you to decide what gear works (and what gear needs to change for a longer trek), what you might need to do differently (if anything) in your daily conditioning, and can get some of the questions answered in advance of your hike.

Even if you ultimately decide not to go for the whole trail in one attempt - Get out there and have fun! :) Best of luck and I wish you a safe & happy hike!

Diamondlil
04-03-2016, 10:50
This is the best advice and comment I've seen given yet! Good luck boyz!!

muskymastr
04-28-2016, 19:41
Letter to my 17 year old self. ( this involves technology not yet invented to mail the letter back 25 years!)

Dear Self,

Read this letter carefully, then follow the directions in order.

There is a thing called the Appalachian Trail. You have never heard of it, but once you do you will not be able to stop thinking about it. In order to save yourself decades of reading about other peoples adventures in preparation for your own. Your adventure starts now.

1. get some gear, a backpack, a sleeping bag, a lightweight stove & what ever clothes you currently have clean.

2. put enough ramen noodles, rice & jerky to last you 5 days in a bag.

3. Take all the money you made last summer with you. You will need it.

4. You have 60 days. (yes you have to come back for school, we're going to need the money from a good job to do it again later!)

5. The world record is somewhere between 49-59 days depending on how you do it.

6. You won't make it the whole way. (Yes I know exactly how mad that makes you, & how hard you will try to prove everyone wrong, and this body, at your age just might,,, have been good
enough to do it)
7. Go & don't look back

Have a Blast!

Sincerely,

YOU

P.S. Beware Trail Town Tramps, there are things you could catch, that you don't even know about yet! ( I'd hate to have to remember them twice).

Greenlight
04-28-2016, 20:46
If your goal is only to put in nearly 40 miles per day, and you think you can sustain that for two months, more power to you. If you're wanting the whole trail experience of stopping to admire the vistas, build friendships that will last your lifetime, and allow the trail to work it's magic on you, I'd slow down. I'd take that sixty days to have an excellent adventure. With your youth and vigor, you'll probably have no problem making it to Harpers Ferry, WV, the unofficial half-way point. Then save up again and do the second half in 2018. That's what I'd do if I were in your shoes.

GScout
04-28-2016, 21:30
Yes, please, get out there and hike as much as you can! If you don't finish it will give you a goal (and something to dream about) for a later date. Happy trails and HYOH!

Coyote Rob
05-03-2016, 20:43
Run a sub-3:00 marathon and I think you have a chance. But I'd still want long odds before I put money on it.

I tried hiking the AT in 90 days and failed. At the time, my marathon PR was 2:50.
It's now 2:42 and I know I still couldn't hike the AT in 60 days; it took me 110. I could now possibly finish in as little as 90, but it wouldn't be fun. And it's supposed to be fun.

That doesn't mean don't try, but understand that you probably won't succeed. Have a shorter option in mind, like Springer to Harper's Ferry, and go have a good time with your friend. Maybe you could do the other half in one of your college summers?

rickb
05-03-2016, 21:18
Picking an impossible goal gives one a built in excuse for failure.

Picking a difficult but doable goal and failing means its your own damn fault.

I can see see why the former would be the more attractive alternative for some.

canoe
05-03-2016, 23:05
Everyone has been so PC. You dont have a chance in hell. Thats the reality

Uriah
05-04-2016, 00:00
Everyone has been so PC. You dont have a chance in hell. Thats the reality

I agree. If only the kid were still on WhiteBlaze. I think he burnt himself out after just two posts.

Pots
05-05-2016, 09:00
If you can, consider graduating half way through your senior year. That would allow you 6 months to enjoy the trail.

DavidNH
05-05-2016, 09:56
Ill answer straight forward. No way in hell. fuggeddaboutit.

Why not just do half the trail and actually have some fun? You kids have no clue what you are trying to get into.

mandolindave
05-05-2016, 11:22
Random thoughts

#1 Sometimes the journey is as important as the destination. Would you rather gaze into your girlfriend's eyes, and kiss her for a long time, or put on a blindfold on, and give her a quick peck on the cheek. ( maybe it's a bad example…I dunno )

#2 I really enjoyed hiking the Grand Canyon….I also really enjoyed the beautiful ride to get there.

#3 There is a Thru hiker on the trail now, I think he is already in N.H., who does 30+ miles a day. In his hiking career, he has lost everyone of his toenails….TWICE

#4 I'm not much into Bragging Rights ( how many people will you get to tell ?) On the other hand, you might make your Dad really proud if you succeed, and it might look really good on your resume.

#5 I have usually tried to set realistic goals for myself ( maybe I am a coward ) About 25 % of thru hikers, (who aren't racing,) actually finish the AT.

#6 That being said…Go for it…..Next year… College summer break is about 3 months Read Read Read, Plan Plan Plan Practice Practice Practice

#7 "Don't give up your dreams" said the filthy rich Rock Star. I totally failed at being a Rock Star. Got thrown out of bands because I am terrible.But I had goals to write some songs and record them.

https://youtu.be/b1QgHEC0dhA

DavidNH
05-05-2016, 11:45
canoe is right. And put the reply more succinctly than I did. I wish there was a like button!

claybonnyman
09-22-2016, 12:59
I would say it's next to impossible for anyone to average 3 mph through the Whites and southern Maine. Even Karl "Speedgoat" Meltzer, who just set the supported record for SOBO AT thru, averaged not much more than 3 mph for the whole trail — and keep in mind that for every day of 2 or even 2.5 mph pace up north, you'll have to bump it up to 3.5 or 4 mph somewhere else.

Doable, but tough.

Engine
09-22-2016, 14:26
Run a sub-3:00 marathon and I think you have a chance. But I'd still want long odds before I put money on it.

I tried hiking the AT in 90 days and failed. At the time, my marathon PR was 2:50.
It's now 2:42 and I know I still couldn't hike the AT in 60 days; it took me 110. I could now possibly finish in as little as 90, but it wouldn't be fun. And it's supposed to be fun.

That doesn't mean don't try, but understand that you probably won't succeed. Have a shorter option in mind, like Springer to Harper's Ferry, and go have a good time with your friend. Maybe you could do the other half in one of your college summers?

The AT is rugged enough it doesn't allow for speed to be a major advantage. The endurance gained from marathon training is tremendously helpful, but I don't know that a 2:42 marathoner is going to end up any faster than a 3:12 runner once the hiking starts.

Teacher & Snacktime
09-22-2016, 19:47
Y'all are so pessimistic. Pay attention, there's two of 'em. One can hike the northern half while the other hikes the southern half.
:bse

One can hike while the other sleeps?

illabelle
09-22-2016, 21:25
One can hike while the other sleeps?

That might work, too!

rocketsocks
09-23-2016, 01:39
K.Boone88 sun, when you can snatch the pebble from my hand you's guys will be ready, but first...a test of wits!
How far can yous two yutes walk into the woods?

Dogwood
09-23-2016, 11:06
Heck, you should go for the unsupported record too. If you can do 60 days 5 days less shouldn't be all that difficult as first time LD 2200 mile hikers through 14 states. I see your faces on a Wheaties box next yr. :rolleyes:

Slo-go'en
09-23-2016, 14:19
Heck, you should go for the unsupported record too. If you can do 60 days 5 days less shouldn't be all that difficult as first time LD 2200 mile hikers through 14 states. I see your faces on a Wheaties box next yr. :rolleyes:

It's unlikely the OP and his friend ever set foot on the AT this summer. As for anyone else contemplating such a feat, best of luck to you.

josh_ATL
10-31-2016, 00:09
I started the trail with a kid who had to finish the trail on his summer break from school. He had about the same time frame to do it in. I think he had figured 38+ miles a day with 4 zeros. He made it! Even if you start and decide you can't keep up the pace, then just hike what you can and come back later.