PDA

View Full Version : Do you carry a backup light?

kimbur96
01-25-2016, 14:47
Just starting out and trying to configure my gear but still keep the weight controlled. I have a good petzel headlamp that i plan to carry. Used it for night time trail racing. But my question is do you carry a backup light? It seems Like it would be prudent. But then I tend to be very cautious and overpack. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soumodeler
01-25-2016, 14:51
I consider my phone my backup light.

Odd Man Out
01-25-2016, 14:56
I have not, but am seriously considering getting a Photon Freedom Micro Light (or something like that) as a back up. For regular use (reading in tent, finding a pee tree at night), the mirco light is probably good enough so my head lamp (Black Diamond Spot) may become the backup, or I may start leaving the headlamp at home. Time will tell. On each trip the gear kit gets tweaked a bit by experience.

wornoutboots
01-25-2016, 14:56
No...................

wornoutboots
01-25-2016, 14:57
Batteries...yes...........

4eyedbuzzard
01-25-2016, 15:11
Yes, a Photon micro light. But any one of those small, flat, keychain LED lights would do. Pretty much stays on a lanyard with a whistle and small button compass. I do use it sometimes, for maybe 5 seconds of light or so, after bedding down to find something near me.

Kaptainkriz
01-25-2016, 15:12
I'm trying to cut back...

colorado_rob
01-25-2016, 15:40
I consider my phone my backup light.Yup, this. I do carry an extra backup AA battery for my headlamp though.

Slo-go'en
01-25-2016, 15:53
Having once misplaced my headlamp and had to hike 1.7 miles by Braille on a rocky and icy trail in February (the longest 1.7 miles I ever hiked!), I always have a small, single AAA powered light squirreled away in the pack just in case. Doesn't weigh much.

damskipi
01-25-2016, 16:17
Having once misplaced my headlamp and had to hike 1.7 miles by Braille on a rocky and icy trail in February (the longest 1.7 miles I ever hiked!), I always have a small, single AAA powered light squirreled away in the pack just in case. Doesn't weigh much.

I experienced a similar situation and since my current life allows for day hikes only, getting stuck in the dark is not acceptable. So I have a 2.5 oz headlamp (including batteries) and a tiny LED light attached to my gloves that uses the same batteries. I think the glove light adds less than half an ounce but I'd have to weigh it to be sure. It's so light and small it's essentially just a carrying case for my spare battery. I also carry my phone and could use that in an emergency, but if you've ever tried to scramble down a rock face in the dark and needed both hands to do so, you quickly realize how a smartphone isn't the best solution.

Sarcasm the elf
01-25-2016, 16:24

Same here. I used to carry a photon keychain light as backup, but my phone has rendered that unnecessary.

Sarcasm the elf
01-25-2016, 16:28
I will add that if you brig a baxkup light it is best to keep it in the same place at all times. There have been occasions in camp where I misplaced my headlamp in the dark and was it easier to locate my pack by feel alone, grab my backup light and then use it to find the lamp than it would have been to paw around trying to find my headlamp in the pitch black.

Funkmeister
01-25-2016, 17:48
I keep a tiny flashlight in my pocket at all times. I use it to find my headlamp. I guess it's not a 'backup' light as your posting title specifies, though you could probably use it to hike if you needed to.

CarlZ993
01-25-2016, 18:08
I carry a small photon-type light as an extra light source. 0.3 oz weight penalty. Spare batteries as well for my headlamp (3 X AAA).

Z Hiker
01-25-2016, 19:07
No, but I do bring extra batteries in case I need to hike out at night due to an emergency. Also, to make life easier, I have one of those super lightweight photon-type lights hung permanently from a loop inside my tent. It makes settling in at night so much easier.

Rocket Jones
01-25-2016, 19:16
Good advice here. I too carry a Photon Freedom light as backup. I seldom carry spare batteries, but make sure that my headlamp has fresh batteries before every trip. Keep your backup in the same place always, so you can find it in the dark.

I don't consider my phone a backup light source, but am starting to come around to the idea after using it to look under the hood during an automobile emergency.

Wise Old Owl
01-25-2016, 19:38
I don't have a goal in this... but those lithium's are hard to find off any trail as most small hardwear places have been put out of business by big box stores...

Check this idea out. (http://www.*************************/index.php/Thread/1701-1-ounce-Microstream-by-Streamlight-LED/)

hikerhobs
01-25-2016, 19:38
Headlamp, small micro light and batteries.

Vegan Packer
01-25-2016, 19:49
I just switched my backup to a Pak-Lite Ultra (http://www.9voltlight.com/inc/sdetail/31453/31949). Less than 1.5 ounces (and that includes the battery), super small, bright, and lasts 80+ hours on the brightest setting.

garlic08
01-25-2016, 20:06
Since LED lights hit the market, I have only carried one, and with no spare batteries. With lamp life measured in the tens of thousands of hours, and battery life over 100 hours, I've found no need for backup.

Mtsman
01-25-2016, 20:19
I use my phone as backup light as well.

MuddyWaters
01-25-2016, 20:49
No.
If push comes to shove, I can do without for a couple days without issue. Just means eating a little sooner or such, and no early morning hiking.

Feral Bill
01-25-2016, 21:46
no, never have

Traillium
01-25-2016, 21:57
I can't consider my power-hungry cellphone as a backup light. Very convenient — yes. But a backup? Certainly not!
A tiny microlight as a backup? Most certainly!

Bruce Traillium

Midwest Mike
01-25-2016, 22:30
No, but I do bring extra batteries in case I need to hike out at night due to an emergency. Also, to make life easier, I have one of those super lightweight photon-type lights hung permanently from a loop inside my tent. It makes settling in at night so much easier.

I carry one; the phone doesn't work for me all that well. But I love your idea about hanging it from the tent. I'm going to try that this spring.

rocketsocks
01-25-2016, 22:30
I don't carry a backup to either of my lights.;)

iAmKrzys
01-25-2016, 23:04
I got a 1-oz (with batteries) FireFly headlamp that I grabbed off Amazon last winter. I went through one set of batteries over the summer with moderate use just moving around the camp. It worked out pretty well but for hiking at night I prefer something stronger (unfortunately heavier too.)

Sarcasm the elf
01-25-2016, 23:34
I don't carry a backup to either of my lights.;)

But do you carry backup lights? Usually I just make a beeping sound. :cool:

RangerZ
01-25-2016, 23:50
[QUOTE=Z Hiker;2036175]No, but I do bring extra batteries in case I need to hike out at night due to an emergency. Also, to make life easier, I have one of those super lightweight photon-type lights hung permanently from a loop inside my tent. It makes settling in at night so much easier.

I do the same, makes it easier to find the tent after middle of the night excursions. Motel 6, "We'll leave the light on for you."

rocketsocks
01-25-2016, 23:58
But do you carry backup lights? Usually I just make a beeping sound. :cool:last time I did that some hiker through his garbage bag at me and said "thanks bro"

daddytwosticks
01-26-2016, 08:20
I always carry a tiny LED Photon light attached to the tiniest Swiss Army knife they make. These items go with me even in civilian life. :)

Woodturner
01-26-2016, 08:21
I will from now on.
On my last little jaunt I was planning on having to hike after dark to make my planned destination, and had my headlight hanging around my neck were it would be handy when needed. During a brief but fairly hard rain shower, it came on all by itself. Shortly afterwards, it went off by itself, never to work again. When I needed to leave the tent during the night, something as simple as finding the zipper on the door was difficult.
That headlamp has been replaced with one that is waterproof, but other problems can happen. To paraphrase Miss O'Hara, "As God is my witness, I will never be without light again"!

Leo L.
01-26-2016, 09:21
When hiking with my wife we both carry a headlamp in the pack, so thats redundancy enough.
When hiking alone I usually carry my headlamp, some spare batteries and one of these crappy little gifts you get sometimes from ad companies that look like lamps and even shine some light. Towards the end of the trip I hand this lookalike to a nice local guy as a gift.

I hardly ever use the headlamp, having a good natural nightvision myself. It also helps greatly that in desert environment where I do most of my hikes the stars shine bright all night, infact I believe that natural light in the desert is double of what we have in Europe or USA/east).

We do some night skiing and for this I usually carry two headlamps, one small for ascent and one big for downhill. Redundancy intended, since one very bad night when my then only lamp failed (battery dead - this was a NCd rechargable).

Marta
01-26-2016, 10:19
I had a pinch light clipped to the pull on my jacket. In the winter, I carried two headlamps and a candle lantern. If I had to go wandering around to look for the water source or whatever in the dark, I'd leave the candle lantern back near my sleeping space so I could locate it in the dark. The candle lantern is also nice because you can use it to warm up your hands and restore their function.

In the summer...one small headlamp is plenty.

swisscross
01-26-2016, 10:55
Marta addressed the only real reason to carry an extra light is WINTER.
If you are concerned about it, carry an extra pinch light or a e+lite (remove strap-can clip on hat).
In the summer I only carry the e+lite...Late fall/early spring a Zebralite...winter both.

I just purchase a LuminAID lantern and going to try it out next time I go out with others/wife/children.

I was out about a month ago and it got dark before 5pm. I had a bunch of time to kill before bed and did not want to burn through my head lamp battery so I just laid around and listened to the radio for a while until I dosed off. Sleeping sun down to sun up is so much better than my normal life. ]
No extra light needed.

Deadeye
01-26-2016, 11:17
Rather than backing up, I just turn around and go forward, but in the opposite direction.

Rain Man
01-26-2016, 15:55
But my question is do you carry a backup light?

Absolutely. Wife and I began married life as cavers. Cavers always carry 3 sources of light, each person. And, I've had to use that 3rd source once, so I know the wisdom. As a backpacker, I definitely carry a backup light. As others have mentioned, a light can get lost, broken, or even go kaput in the rain, batteries can die, or a fellow hiker can be in a bind. All my backpacking lights are waterproof (er, resistant).

My backup is the waterproof version of the Photo Freedom Micro. It gets wet more from sweat than from rain or falling in water, I admit.
http://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/photon-freedom-micro-led-keychain-flashlight/

I carry it on a shock cord necklace day and night. Never have to look for it. Very handy too when I don't want all the lumens my headlamp puts out.

My phone can be a backup, but that's pushing it IMHO.

My headlamp always goes in the same belt pocket on my pack and always goes around my neck BEFORE it gets dark. Again, lessons learned.

kimbur96
01-26-2016, 17:15
Absolutely. Wife and I began married life as cavers. Cavers always carry 3 sources of light, each person. And, I've had to use that 3rd source once, so I know the wisdom. As a backpacker, I definitely carry a backup light. As others have mentioned, a light can get lost, broken, or even go kaput in the rain, batteries can die, or a fellow hiker can be in a bind. All my backpacking lights are waterproof (er, resistant).

My backup is the waterproof version of the Photo Freedom Micro. It gets wet more from sweat than from rain or falling in water, I admit.
http://www.photonlight.com/led-flashlights/photon-freedom-micro-led-keychain-flashlight/

I carry it on a shock cord necklace day and night. Never have to look for it. Very handy too when I don't want all the lumens my headlamp puts out.

My phone can be a backup, but that's pushing it IMHO.

My headlamp always goes in the same belt pocket on my pack and always goes around my neck BEFORE it gets dark. Again, lessons learned.

Lol, exactly the background I am coming from...wreck diver and cave diver. 3 is 2, 2 is 1, and 1 is none. Only gone to the third source one time but I was two levels down in a wreck and very happy I had 3. But now as noob in hiking I am wanting to be redundant and yet light weight. I guess the bottom line is what I am comfortable with.

Malto
01-26-2016, 20:07
Maybe. In general I do not carry a spare light other than my iPhone but I will if I know that I will be relying on my headlamp for a significant part of the hike. For example; there is a 50 mile loop through through the Grand Canyon of PA that I have day hiked on several occasions. Depending on the season that can includes 20 miles of darkness. I will take a backup headlamp for hikes like that.

Turk6177
01-26-2016, 21:37
I agree with the people above who use their flashlight on their phone as a backup.

Vegan Packer
01-26-2016, 23:50
Absolutely. Wife and I began married life as cavers.

I hear you on that one! I'm the guy with the HP fins.

https://vimeo.com/897430

Lol, exactly the background I am coming from...wreck diver and cave diver.

Okay, now I know who this is. ;) Say hi to Tienuts for me. LOL

kimbur96
01-27-2016, 09:30
I hear you on that one! I'm the guy with the HP fins.

https://vimeo.com/897430

Okay, now I know who this is. ;) Say hi to Tienuts for me. LOL

LOL, small world. Between the vegan and the optima I know who you are too. :) Tienuts and I are no longer together but still friends. I will tell him you said Hi. IF you are ever doing anything local give me a shout. I am brand new and trying to learn. Thanks, Happy trails

Malto
01-27-2016, 11:53
I also went through a caving phase, prior to getting big into hiking. Discovered I liked walking more than crawling.

Vegan Packer
01-27-2016, 11:55
LOL, small world. Between the vegan and the optima I know who you are too. :) Tienuts and I are no longer together but still friends. I will tell him you said Hi. IF you are ever doing anything local give me a shout. I am brand new and trying to learn. Thanks, Happy trails

I am retired from diving, pretty much, and this is my new gig. I am at about Nitrox cert level equivalent in this world, but working my way up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtlSbaAY7o

poolskaterx
01-28-2016, 21:15
Black Diamond Storm is my main light and Ion is my back up light, I also have a tiny single led velcroed onto my classic swiss army knife in my pocket; 1 cloudy night in the sierras with no light has converted me to a double backups.

VITCHELO
03-12-2016, 10:33
It is important to have backup light and Batteries in case of emergency.

QiWiz
03-12-2016, 12:07
I used to carry a tiny backup light, mostly so I could change batteries of regular headlamp in the dark. Now I would just use iPhone flashlight app for that purpose.

Secondmouse
03-12-2016, 13:03

wow, I am so struck with the common sense of this and I had completely overlooked it. since I already carry a smart phone, I can actually say I carry two spares...

my backup light is a 4 Sevens Preon2 AAA light. it weighs less than an ounce and takes two AAA bats, the same as my headlamp, so it's kind of like a fully finctioning spare battery carrier.

it has several modes with a max of 198 OTF lumens down to 2 lumens, and SOS and flashing Beacon modes. it's a supplement to my headlamp which is pretty much a low power flood light...

AlyontheAT2016
03-12-2016, 13:09
Petzl headlamp, and smartphone as backup

sheperd80
03-12-2016, 22:44
I ususally carry a byte headlamp and a maglite solitaire as a backup. Both are tiny bright and durable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Glacier
03-13-2016, 07:56
There are 4 things I carry everyday: wallet, phone, full size leatherman, and a small flashlight. So yes I have a backup light.

jshannon
03-16-2016, 06:05
Many do take backups but I just take extra battery.

Christoph
03-16-2016, 10:35
I carried a few extra batteries for my headlamp. Unfortunately, for the amount of time the lamp was actually on, I ended up just carrying them as extra weight (never needed them). I did have my phone as a backup but never really thought of that anyway. Next trip I'll just carry a headlamp with no extra batteries. Gotta figure, resupply is only a few days or so away, you can use your phone, another hiker will most likely have an extra and give you one (we all help each other out up there), and probably 1/2 the nights are lit fairly well by the moon. Once your eyes adjust you'll be fine. Now night hiking will obviously use more and I did it a few nights, but still didn't see the need for extra batteries.