PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with a Mountainsmith Pack?

MyFeetHurt
12-14-2005, 16:42
Has anybody used one of these packs before? I don't know anyone personally, and I haven't been able to find many reviews online. I'm specifically looking at the "Phantom" pack. My local shops don't have them stocked, so I'd have to order online. Let me know any personal experiences, good or bad. Thanks....

king

the goat
12-14-2005, 16:52
never used any of their human packs. i've used their dog packs though (for my dog, not me) and they are the most poorly designed pieces of ***** i've ever used or seen on the trail. i know several others with the same opinion. who knows, maybe the rest of their stuff is cool, but i'd never buy any of their ***** just from my awful experiences with the dog packs.

MyFeetHurt
12-14-2005, 16:54
hmmm, not a good start. the pack i'm looking at is super cheap, which could very well also mean super junk. and i don't really like the idea of using a pack i have zero experience with that i bought sight unseen. but it's soooooooo cheap........ thanks for the info on the dog pack.

hungryhowie
12-14-2005, 17:10
I've been using a Ghost for a year+ now. It's really nice. I got it for when I began carrying my photography equipment (10+ pounds) with me on all of my hikes. It's carried the 25-30 pounds beautifully. I've seen multiple Ghosts do thrus, so durability shouldn't any larger of a concern with MS packs than any other packs.

-Howie

MyFeetHurt
12-14-2005, 17:16
hey that's good to hear howie. i think the phantom is just a slightly larger version of the ghost from what i've read. phantom is about 3300/3500 to the ghost 3100, or something along those lines. thanks for the info....

king

hikerjohnd
12-14-2005, 17:30
I have a waist/lumbar pack that I have had for years. It has been on hundreds of day hikes and held up well. I keep it in the truck in the event that I am out and stumble across a place to hike. I bought it at an REI attic sale and I think I paid $10 for it - and I have definitly got my moneys worth. When it finally wears out, I would pay full price for another... So that at least is my experience with their quality.

Mouse
12-14-2005, 18:43
I loved my Mountainsmith Chimera. It carried well, was just the right volume for me, and was still in good shape at the end of my thruhike. It was also versitile, adding a side pocket for more room and leaving off the top pocket for less as the seasons changed my gear.

I liked the Ghost as well, but I found it too small for thruhiking.

Fiddler
12-14-2005, 19:14
I have 2 of the Mountainsmith Persuit packs. (I think this model has been discontinued) 1 is mine, 1 is my grand-daughter's, and have been well satisfied for 3 years now. 4300 cu. in. The suspension system is very adjustable, I am 6'2" wt. 170, she is 5'8" wt. around 160 and no problem getting perfect fits. Very comfortable at 35-40 pounds total. I am not a long distance hiker, but for 3-4 days they have served well.

neighbor dave
12-14-2005, 19:21
have had one for 4 years. it worked fine for my a.t. hike this past summer. one thing to note about these packs, the shoulder straps slowly loosen while hikin'. to the point you have to keep pullin' on them to keep them properly adjusted. ask me if i would buy another one? no! i'd go fer a granitegear!:banana :clap :welcome :jump :D

A-Train
12-14-2005, 20:15
Yes I recommend my Ghost. I think there are certainly better packs out there, but i bought it on a whim on the AT when i needed something lighter without doing research. Got me fairly comfortably from Daleville to Glencliff, some 1000plus miles, before the frame popped thru the bottom. MS fixed it for free which was nice. I´ve used it a lot, including most of a summer ridgerunning, lots of shorter hikes on the LT and elsewhere and traveling in Ecuador. Good durability, a good pack if you can get a good deal on it (which i see quite often)

MyFeetHurt
12-14-2005, 20:28
thanks everyone, good to see a-train was able to get a free repair job. that's one of the prerequisites. and it's real hard to pass up this deal. i've still got plenty of money to spend, and not real keen on popping 200 large on a pack. keep the reviews coming if you have them, good or bad....

A-Train
12-14-2005, 20:36
thanks everyone, good to see a-train was able to get a free repair job. that's one of the prerequisites. and it's real hard to pass up this deal. i've still got plenty of money to spend, and not real keen on popping 200 large on a pack. keep the reviews coming if you have them, good or bad....

As I mentioned before, keep your eyes peeled for deals on websites, ebay and even here and trailjournals as these packs seem to be popular for selling, and I´ve seen them often (the ghost) for around 75 bucks, even new. It was originally 200 which was a huge ripoff, and I paid 150 for it in 03´ which is still a little much.

MyFeetHurt
12-14-2005, 20:38
yeah, this is a 170 pack going for 70 right now.....

Sly
12-14-2005, 21:09
I've heard MS packs went downhill after they got bought out, but for $70 it's probably worth a try.

littledragon
12-14-2005, 21:17
I use a Mountainsmith Seraph- I love it! It held all of my gear and food for 7 days through the 100 Mile Wilderness this past September. (We resupplied at Whitehouse Landing). I know this is the woman's pack, but I do believe this company makes great packs. By the way, the loaded pack weighed in at 27 lbs. when I left Monson.

bigben
12-15-2005, 13:31
Don't buy a Mountainsmith from Dick's. I've been told that MS makes a "special line" of packs specifically for them, and they're junk compared to the rest of their line.

Bigben

MyFeetHurt
12-15-2005, 15:42
bought it last night, couldn't resist the price. thanks for all the help everyone.....

Fiddler
12-15-2005, 16:15
bought it last night, couldn't resist the price. thanks for all the help everyone.....

Now you gotta put 20 - 30 pounds in it and walk a few miles and let us know how you like it.

MyFeetHurt
12-15-2005, 16:29
yup, will do. i was able to find someone at my local shop who uses the pack, and he said it's a winner. should be shipped out tomorrow.....

ridefast
01-11-2006, 11:33
i used a mountainsmith wizard throughout my teens. it was the most comfortable pack i tried

got rid of it when i outgrew it and would have gotten another, larger one, but i wasnt too fond of the narrow top opening