PDA

View Full Version : 2016 Kit List

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 10:58
Any tips for my 2016 PCT thru hike kit list? I know I could save weight but lots of this stuff is what I already have and I am already rushing to save cash for the hike, I only decided to do this a week ago so I am really tight on money and time until then. I would buy a new sleeping bag and tent but that adds up to approx $600 and ill carry the extra 2-3 pounds to save 600$ for stuff in town and a cushon on the trail. Any other tips would be great, cheers!

Kit List - https://lighterpack.com/r/1vxiyt

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 11:07
Also here is my Craig's PCT Planner plan so far, any tips on that front are welcome as well!Specifically where good grocery stores and supermarkets are located for resupplying. I have the Yogi's guidebook and any other information would be helpful, cheers!

http://www.pctplanner.com/v.php?g=pwdFrXStfAFP

CarlZ993
01-26-2016, 15:54
Any tips for my 2016 PCT thru hike kit list? I know I could save weight but lots of this stuff is what I already have and I am already rushing to save cash for the hike, I only decided to do this a week ago so I am really tight on money and time until then. I would buy a new sleeping bag and tent but that adds up to approx $600 and ill carry the extra 2-3 pounds to save 600$ for stuff in town and a cushon on the trail. Any other tips would be great, cheers!

Kit List - https://lighterpack.com/r/1vxiyt
I'll preface my comments with the following: I'm not a PCT thru-hiker. I've hiked about 800M in the Sierras over the years and many miles in the desert (AZ, UT, & TX). The only thru-hike I've done is the AT. So, take what I have to say w/ a grain of salt.

That is a heavy kit to be carrying. I realize that you have a limited budget. Many of my suggestions would entail replacing or not taking what you plan to take. Here is what I'd do if I had your kit & was planning to hike the PCT.

- Smaller, lighter pack; ~50L or so
- Trash Compactor bag for pack liner (lighter & cheaper than what you have)
- 1-person tent or tarptent (shoot for 2 lbs or less if you can)
- 15 deg down bag (~2 lbs)
- no bag liner; 15-20 deg should suffice
- gorilla tape: wrap some around your hiking poles (which I didn't see listed; I'd recommend using them)
- umbrella: nice for desert hiking
- clothing: hiking pants (1 pr), undershirt (maybe 2 if you was to splurge), hiking shirt (lg sleeve for sun/bug protection), running shorts (lined) for underwear (2-3 pair total), long underwear top & bottom, knit cap, liner gloves, rain jacket & pants; your bug net seems heavy
- water bottle: ditch the Nalgene (6.2 oz vs 1.4 oz for Smart Water bottle)
- water bladders: platypus containers are slightly lighter for the volume to be carried
- water filter: ditch the filter & use AguaMira Drops (3 oz total; good for 30 gal or so; resupply as you go; save the mixing cap from your old kit when you get a new one
- ditch the purification tablets (redundant)
- lantern: ditch it; your headlamp should suffice (although it is a little heavy)
- knife: Swiss Army Classic weighs 1/4th of the Huntsman
- Bear Bag: 35L Dry bag seems overkill (8 oz); lighter, smaller options are are out there
- Spork: Light My Fire Spork breaks easily; be careful w/ it.
- Stove: 3 oz canister stove would save you a lot of weight; my current stove - Soto Windmaster - weighs 2.8 oz & handles the wind pretty good for a upright canister stove
- Tooth paste: travel size should weigh less than 9 oz
- Towel: smaller & lighter
- Soap: 1 oz container of soap will last you a long time in the backcountry; resupply as needed
- First Aid kit: didn't see any band-aids listed. Imodium either. A smaller container of Gold Bond should suffice; resupply as needed. Same for the sun screen. 1 - 2 oz of sun screen & resupply as needed.

Cheyou
01-26-2016, 16:25
62 lbs wow

Thom

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 18:15
Yea **** it ill stay home

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 19:49
Its really discouraging that when I ask for advice, all I hear is that my kit is to heavy and to basically go home. None much of this equipment existed 15 years ago and people managed, and when it was available back then it was not nearly as light or available and people managed. As for 62.5 pounds, I didn't plan on carrying 6 litres of water 24/7 and could not find enough water to if i tried, based on water reports, so weight 62.5 lbs is skewed by at least 5 pounds. But I totally agree the pack is still to heavy in total.

-Osprey volt 75 stays but I might remove the top and cover sinch hole with swimming cap and paracord

-I like the trash compactor bag idea and based on peoples though i will give it a go to save weight, I just figured it would not be robust enough, but i guess its cheap enough to replace whenever you want/need right?-Lantern has been ditched and the headlamp replaced, not a lighter lamp, just more versatile and rechargeable instead of battery operated

-I would also love a small one person tent but thats a size thing, Im 6'4" and tend to stretch out when I sleep, even in a bag, I just couldn't find a long enough one person tent. any ideas?

-Sleeping bag is what Im planning on replacing first, going to go for down and 15-20 degrees. Any Good discount sites maybe? Ive been haunting REI outlet MEC and SAIL lately with no luck. Price is my thing, and I sleep pretty hot, my 15 degree bag works fine all winter in Canada so I think it will be over kill on the pct, bag liner is gone as well, I can just wear extra clothes to sleep.

Sorry about the attitude, I appreciate the response a lot and have used it to adjust my kit list somewhat.
-I've been hiking with poles and i hate them, I wont go on the trail with them. but I do have bad ankles and have to wear an air cast 6 hours a day on one foot so i totally get why people use them, they're just not for me. My knees might change my mind later on and I can always buy some on trail or have some mailed to me, but for now they are a no go.

-Track pants are a weird material that will double as long johns, I've tested them all winter working outdoors in Canada and they're awesome but based on my experience I will not be needing them above zero degrees centigrade.

-I would love to go with the shorts that have liners but that has been some really bad news in the past for me, My shorts are great and light for hiking with underpants, underpants themselves are awesome and will work fine for a bathing suit if I wear one at all

-I will carry 4 pounds of bug netting no matter what John Wiseman says to me in person about the matter, mosquitos make me insane, any respite is worth it for me especially if I do not want to hike around buggy areas and times of day. but you are right, the weight seems high to me, I got the weight from REI.com, ill live if it turns out to weigh less than I thought.

-Nalgene has been switched to smart water, meant to do that when I decided against steripens.

-Water filter I keep for personal preference as well as spare purification tablets as back up. Shelter and food can be more easily improvised in the field where as water can be very difficult to make safe. I agree its mostly my paranoia and being over prepared but since i cant afford the weight of being over prepared anywhere else I choose water, I should choose shelter but I find shelter easier to improvise than finding useable water. Just my opinion though, and rather opposite most of my opinions on survival, most are from the SAS survival handbook where shelter is key and they explain how you will likely die faster from exposure than dehydration, and faster from dehydration than starvation. But I can carry more than adequate shelter at all times, where as I can not carry 10 litres of water at a time. 10 litres of water being carried at a time is the only thing that would make reconsider the water situation, as I have lived in southern ontario all my life and have never been more that 10 miles from clean running water, the desert with 30 mile waterless stretches scares the hell out of me.

-Lantern has been ditched after deciding on a better headlamp

-Im probably thinking of the classic swiss army knife, im 99%sure its what I have I must have read a wrong label comparing online to see what I had.

-I hear ya on the sunscreen and gold bond, but band aids for me are made from gorilla tape and clean (town) clothes with hand sanitizer to clean the wound.

-Light my fire spork is a gift I'm trying to use at least until it breaks, I got 2 of them so I should last a bit before finding a new one but I don't have any hope based on the reviews I've seen since receiving one as a gift.

-Thanks for the weights, mine were estimates, I wanted to over not under shoot the weight so cheers!

-The stove will either get ditched for an alcohol stove (homemade) with MSR pot, straining lid, handle, wind screen, heat reflector and fuel - size is my consideration here as I have weighed out both systems I have and they both weigh within 2 ounces. Also, I do not like alcohol fires because they are uncontrolled. I will likely stick with the system I have and like and know how to use and maintain in the field. otherwise I might go cookless/stoveless depending on the food weight of a stove use diet vs no stove diet.

Thanks for the input and ideas! Cheers!

damskipi
01-26-2016, 20:11
I'm not sure if you got PMs with different advice, but nobody here suggested you go home except for you. Your first post made it seem like you wanted tips on lowering weight, which is what Carl gave you. Please take everybody's posts in the helpful manner they are intended.

That being said, my advice is to start by simply carrying less of what you are planning. For instance I haven't used 10 oz of tape in the last 5 years, you can easily carry just 1-2 oz and have enough. Same for soap, toothpaste, gold bond, etc. You don't need to carry 5 months worth from the beginning, you will be able to replenish along the way. Doing a quick glance through your list I could take 7 lbs off apwding only about $10 for small containers, and that's without touching your food or water amounts or any of your heavier items. $10 for 7 lbs weight savings is the best value you'll ever see.

damskipi
01-26-2016, 20:13
Well I'm not sure how autocorrect thought "apwding" was a word but that should say "spending"

Cheyou
01-26-2016, 20:22
U should not b bummed out . This is a great place to get ideas on how to get lighter. No one is saying go home . I carried more that 62 lbs in the USMC. It just wasn't as fun. A long hike requires long thought on each piece of gear. Used gear, thrift store, lots of places to get good cheep equipment. Utube has lots of gear list and ideas.

It it was not my intention to bum or offend you sorry Thom

Cheyou
01-26-2016, 20:30
http://youtu.be/_J4D3AHzlxQ this guy has lots of good ideas

thom

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 20:43
bad excuse but depression, hypoclycemia and missing lunch didnt help, thats why i apologized and meant it. This is what im currently excited about and im just really bummed i cant make it this year. I apprecieate the weight thing you mentioned because I know Im not a marine or even close but I have weighted down my pack for all my recent hikes to 50lbs and do not think it will affect my day length of hiking. Again I do really appreciate the response, and more the time it obviously took to write a helpful response. I also am just realizing i should not have asked the question i did, I asked how to ditch weight without changing gear, stupid/extremely difficult to do. What i should have asked is what items on the list people would outright ditch as luxury items and them what people would change about the gear itself, again, sorry, thanks for the helpful responses, they all were helpful in some manner or another. Cheers!

damskipi
01-26-2016, 20:49
Are you saying you can't hike this year because of pack weight, or something external to this post? Having a heavy pack isn't a reason not to hike. I think everybody would rather you get out there with a heavy pack than not get to get out there at all. If you want suggestions on lowering weight before you start we can help and you can decide which suggestions you want to implement. If the trip is cancelled regardless, then I'm sorry! That's bad news. But you can still do some shorter trips that would help as a shakedown, right?

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 21:00
Damskipi - It is kind of the weight, I would be cutting it pretty close financially by thru hiking this year. It seems like I really need to get a different sleeping bag and tent at least. With the buying of this new gear I think I need to get my pack weight down, I do not think I would be able to afford the entire trip. I am considering a 500-100 mile section hike instead, as time goes on it seems like its all that I will be able to make which is still awesome but still not the challenge that I'm really looking for. Still I cant see sitting at home for over a year waiting to try next year being anything but painful. Cheers!

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 21:00
http://youtu.be/_J4D3AHzlxQ this guy has lots of good ideas

thom

Stellar videos, thanks for the direction! Cheers!

damskipi
01-26-2016, 21:13
Damskipi - It is kind of the weight, I would be cutting it pretty close financially by thru hiking this year. It seems like I really need to get a different sleeping bag and tent at least. With the buying of this new gear I think I need to get my pack weight down, I do not think I would be able to afford the entire trip. I am considering a 500-100 mile section hike instead, as time goes on it seems like its all that I will be able to make which is still awesome but still not the challenge that I'm really looking for. Still I cant see sitting at home for over a year waiting to try next year being anything but painful. Cheers!

That sounds like a good compromise - you'll still get to hike a significant section, you can use that time to evaluate what weight you can cut, and you'll have more time to save for a thru. Keep an eye out on Gear Swap, eBay, Craigslist, etc for deals. You should be able to cut weight easily and can save a bundle using those resources. I also recommend getting to an REI Garage Sale if you can. Some people don't like them but I've found some amazing deals there. Sometimes up to 75% off normal price for items that have never been outside somebody's house.

Good luck!! And let us know if you still want recommendations for cutting weight. Like I said, you can easily lose a few lbs for little to no cost. Anything helps.

Cheyou
01-26-2016, 21:18
U could just use a tarp and bug bivy . Sew it your self light and cheep

thom

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 21:28
That sounds like a good compromise - you'll still get to hike a significant section, you can use that time to evaluate what weight you can cut, and you'll have more time to save for a thru. Keep an eye out on Gear Swap, eBay, Craigslist, etc for deals. You should be able to cut weight easily and can save a bundle using those resources. I also recommend getting to an REI Garage Sale if you can. Some people don't like them but I've found some amazing deals there. Sometimes up to 75% off normal price for items that have never been outside somebody's house.

Good luck!! And let us know if you still want recommendations for cutting weight. Like I said, you can easily lose a few lbs for little to no cost. Anything helps.

2 questions I guess, hopefully better worded than my first, -How would you cut weight without spending money? and How would you cut weight and where and with what new items with money being no object?

ConnorAnderson
01-26-2016, 21:51
U could just use a tarp and bug bivy . Sew it your self light and cheep

thom

I really like the idea but was skeptical for 2 reasons, overall end weight of system, and bad weather comfort. Could I get the system, tarp, poles, stakes, guy lines, and netting under 50 ounces? I think it would be better on good weather nights, but wonder how uncomfortable the tarp system would be in bad weather? I really like the tarp idea though, my first career choice has always been a cowboy, ask my parents and anyone they have ever spoken to, they tell everyone they meet about it! Thanks again and Cheers!

damskipi
01-27-2016, 01:58
2 questions I guess, hopefully better worded than my first, -How would you cut weight without spending money? and How would you cut weight and where and with what new items with money being no object?

Oh goodness. Okay, here is my disclaimer: I've never been on a backpacking trip. I've hiked a ton and I'm prepping for a trip in March and a longer trip in June and I've read literally THOUSANDS of pages of backpacking advice...but I've never actually been on even an overnighter. Camping yes, hiking yes, backpacking no. Looking forward to March! Anyway, take what I say with a grain of salt and knowing that this is coming from all the research I've been doing, not actual experience. Hopefully some enormously experienced person comes along behind me and either verify what I've said or make better suggestions. Also, Carl had some good suggestions in post #3.

-How would you cut weight without spending money?
Mostly just by carrying smaller amounts of the stuff you are carrying, but also getting rid of some stuff and getting more accurate weights. Like I said earlier, you might have to purchase some small containers but they will be cheap.
- #1 - get a scale. It will cost a bit of money but not a lot and I think you might be surprised by the results. You can buy these at any big box store. I have one accurate to 2 grams that cost $10. I think you will "cut" a lot of weight this way simply because it looks like you are estimating weights and not really weighing things. For instance you put 5oz down when you updated your list to a trash compactor bag. They are normally 2-3 oz. Upon a quick glance some other items that you might be overestimating are socks, stakes, base layer, down jacket, beanie, bandana, etc. Have you really weighed all this stuff? It seems unlikely that your bandana would weigh twice what mine does, for instance.
- Weight savings: maybe 2 lbs? Potentially more. Hard to say.
- Cost: $10
- LESS TOILETRIES/FIRST AID. Bring an oz of Gold Bond in a Ziploc, not the big bottle. Bring a 1oz travel size toothpaste - I saw you decreased the size but you can get even smaller. You could even make toothpaste dots so you don't have to buy a new tube (google it). Nail clippers and tweezers - if you have the Swiss Army Knife Classic it already has tweezers, and are the nail clippers necessary or could you use the scissors? Soap - .5oz to 1oz in an eyedrop container. Buy eyedrops at the Dollar Store and dump (or use) the eyedrops, rinse out the container, and now you have a much smaller and lighter bottle of soap. Travel towel - TBH I want to bring a full size towel too but you don't need it. I am planning to cut mine into a 15" x 40" towel - still big enough to wrap around me but only 3oz. Hand sanitizer can be a 1oz container like the soap. No need for Wet Wipes at all if you are bringing sanitizer and soap. I'm not sure what the Vaseline is for, but if you really need it get the travel size. I happen to have one on the desk beside me, it is <2 oz and is still a LOT of Vaseline. But honestly you probably don't need it at all.
- Weight savings: Up to 29 oz
- Cost: $2-5
- Other: definitely use a smaller/lighter stuff sack for the food bag. You probably have one somewhere in your pile of stuff at home that will work. You only need 50 ft of cord. Switch to Mini Bics unless your fingers are too large to use them easily. Carry just the maps you need for a specific section, mail the others to the other sections. Lose the bandana - you have a filter and purification tabs, you don't need to bandana too. You can still lose another 2 oz of tape - honestly you don't need tons. I've seen recommendations for as little as 10 inches worth. I'm bringing several feet, but not 3oz worth.
- Weight savings: maybe 19 oz?
- Cost: $2 for the Bics

So that's about 5-7 lbs savings for about $15. Not free but totally worth it IMHO.

- How would you cut weight and where and with what new items with money being no object?
Well I'd still likely approach it as if money mattered, but if I had say $1000 to spend here's what I'd be looking at:
- Pack: Zpacks Arc Haul Zip in Dyneema. $325, 28 oz. I lust over ZPacks backpacks.
- Tent: Lightheart Gear SoLong 6 (since you are tall). $300, 31 oz. I love Lightheart Gear, but Tarptent is also very popular.
- Sleeping Bag: Since you are tall you probably want a long bag. REI has a 20* ALPS Mountaineering long bag right now for $200, 41 oz. You can get lighter, but that's cheap.
- Filter: Ditch the heavy MSR and get a Sawyer Squeeze. $40, 3.5 oz.
- Down Jacket: why is yours so heavy? I think even a cheap Costco jacket is only like 12-14 oz. $50.
- $15 for the cheap stuff I listed in the first section
- $70 left for tax, shipping, small items, etc.

So for a $15 you can get from a total weight of 60.5 lbs to maybe 53.5 lbs. Then with another $985 investment you can get down to maybe 46 lbs. Plus you aren't going to carry 6L of water for most of the trip, so let's assume an average 2L carry weight. That's ~38 lbs. And you only need the bear canister for a section of the hike, now you are at 35.5 lbs. Congrats, I have cut your weight nearly in half from where you started tonight. All for the low low price of $1000, lol. But seriously even without changing your heaviest items I think you can get down to <45lbs for the ridiculously low price of $15 and a few hours spent weighing stuff and putting things in smaller containers.

Dogwood
01-27-2016, 02:38
-How would you cut weight without spending money? and How would you cut weight and where...?

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/116379-Great-Video-on-Ultra-light-tips

If you follow what I shared in that thread you'll find cutting the wt you carry is not just about lowering gear wt. It's also about logistics and tactics...requiring knowledge and wisdom - skills -awarenesses...that actually can save you money not cost you more money. I entirely agree with you the be all end all of backpacking is not gear but your attitude, mental fortitude, resourcefulness, willingness to observe and patiently and humbly embracing your development as a backpacker.

Enjoy your hike.

DuneElliot
01-27-2016, 09:55
You've had some great advice here. If you are looking to cut weight without spending too much money then go over to Steepandcheap.com They are one of the best places I have found to buy good gear for reasonable prices. They have a Kelty down bag and a Marmot down bag for under $150. There are also several tent options for under $200, but at that point you may as well by a Lightheart SoLong for that price, or any of the silnylon tents by Six Moon Designs, Mountain Laurel Designs, Hyperlight Mountain Gear, Gossamer Gear etc

ConnorAnderson
01-27-2016, 12:36
1) Good call with the scale, I'll grab one or borrow one and get my weights more accurate first thing because for many I am estimating and comparing to items that I know the weight of from the internet but I agree with what I think your point is, I can cut weight with accurate weighing methods and that will help me better understand where I can or should cut weight in the future. I have not weighed most items, most are weights from REI, MEC, and SAIL websites, or packages or estimated, for the record. So many items are over estimated.

2)Good call, Toiletries will be cut down to bare essential for resupply points are never more than 7 days away at most. Thanks for the tip on containers! I'm always looking for reusable ones for stuff like that! Yea thats the XL travel towel weight but it will get cut to less than half before its packed. Youre right a full towel is to much I might have been just babying it because I could have gotten a smaller one :p Good Idea in general though, I should get all the toiletries beside me and figure out how much I will really use between resupply points, and more accurately weigh each item like your first point said, and using smaller improvised containers.

3) I will definitely check for a smaller stuff sack to use for my food bag, I will see how small I can get away with. Also, I was considering using the bear canister for the whole trip, especially now since I plan on only getting rom mexico to tuolomne meadows. It will weigh more, weight I do not need, but with my osprey volt 75 it will easily fit and help make sure I do not over pack the back pack. Also osprey Volt 75L and Atmos 65L = the same weight, so I think I'll use my volt 75L because I lust over Osprey bags lol. I probably wont use the bear canister until I have to but I think it would fit, and be less of an impact on the environment, but maybe not enough to justify the weight you are right.

4) For the record the weight listed included a full resupply of water and a full resupply of the most amount of food that I will carry. 6 days of food and water =25 lbs approx. It will rarely weigh below 5 lbs but rarely will it add the full 25lbs of extra weight to my pack. Great cheap ideas though and some I definitely have not thought of or heard yet! thanks!

For spending money, these are great tips to!
1) My osprey volt 75L weighs the same as the osprey atmos 65L which I have heard of many people using and enjoying on the PCT. So for how much I love it I will ditch the top pocket and use the Volt 75L. I will just have to make sure I do not try to over pack the bag since it is larger and I have been given that advice a lot, not to over pack and that you will try if your bag is too large. My second choice is your ZPacks arc haul zip dyneema though, I have been looking at it for some time now! It looks and reviews fantastic.
2) I am for sure going to order some silnylon online and sew my own tent, or my aunt will see me try once on her machine I know she'll let me use, and then take over, she'll want it done super good once she learns what it is for, she is the biggest worry wort in the world. So I think that I can get a really nice tarp sewn up for about 70$ or less in materials I do not have, und use paracord I have enough of for guy lines and my MSR ground hog stakes, I would have to get trekking poles though($30-200), but I think will end up being worth it the more I think about it so might as well have them pull double duties. Or back up plan is if I find a one person tent, under 40 ounces total for under 175$ before tax I will buy that instead probably.
3) I like the sierra designs zissou 23 sleeping bag from REI for 200$, I might go with that
4) I personally have not liked the look of the sawyer squeeze since I first saw it, I don't like the bladder under pressure way it functions mostly. That being said based on recommendations it is what I'm going to get, everyone loves them so they must at least work and thats what I need. Light weight and working. I will carry back up water purification tabs though in case the sawyer freezes or breaks, off chance but still.
5) Marmot Hangtime Down 700 fill with down defender mens jacket. 1lb 6.1oz, or 22.1 ounces, or 626.5 grams, thats what the Marmot website said. I like the jacket, nice and warm but not crazy hot, I wouldnt plan to wear it at 10F as my only warm layer but you could easily survive without much discomfort I've found.

Thanks for the ideas! they really help and I appreciate them! cheers!

ConnorAnderson
01-27-2016, 13:44
I think I got the weight to a way more reasonable point, currently with a full supply of all consumables my pack weight 55lbs, thats with 14lbs or 7 days worth of food and 6L or over 12lbs of water and 2.5 pound bear can. Base weight is currently at 22lbs.

1) I have not changed my pack, as I feel the weight is reasonable as long as I am mindful of over packing.
2) I have changed my sleeping bag and shelter system to much lighter and smaller versions, I think based on others points that it will be well worth it in the long haul.
3) I also ditched the MSR filter and am going to get a sawyer squeeze. I keep the MSR stove with canister fuel as I find it easier and to be in the end, and not that much heavier than an alcohol stove, the fuel, heat reflector, pot, lid, and handle.
4) items are more accurately weighed at the moment but some are still estimated or over shots, or recommendations of how much I will need for about 4-7 days at a time.

Http://lighterpack.com/r/1vxiyt

DuneElliot
01-27-2016, 14:08
Other than in the desert and and occasional sections you won't need to carry nearly 6L of water, and the bear can is only necessary in the Sierras

lonehiker
01-27-2016, 16:40
I think I got the weight to a way more reasonable point, currently with a full supply of all consumables my pack weight 55lbs, thats with 14lbs or 7 days worth of food and 6L or over 12lbs of water and 2.5 pound bear can. Base weight is currently at 22lbs.

1) I have not changed my pack, as I feel the weight is reasonable as long as I am mindful of over packing.
2) I have changed my sleeping bag and shelter system to much lighter and smaller versions, I think based on others points that it will be well worth it in the long haul.
3) I also ditched the MSR filter and am going to get a sawyer squeeze. I keep the MSR stove with canister fuel as I find it easier and to be in the end, and not that much heavier than an alcohol stove, the fuel, heat reflector, pot, lid, and handle.
4) items are more accurately weighed at the moment but some are still estimated or over shots, or recommendations of how much I will need for about 4-7 days at a time.

Http://lighterpack.com/r/1vxiyt

I would completely forget about computing your pack weight with food and water and solely focus on your base weight. You will figure out your food within a resupply or two and water is a moving target depending upon the water report etc. If you have your base weight to about 22 pounds, you are already in the ballpark. You do not need a base weight of 10 pounds to have a successful trip. In fact, you will find most on the trail are closer to your 22 pound base weight than to a 10 pound base weight. Obviously cut where you can but don't sweat it too much....

QiWiz
01-27-2016, 17:29
So if you can afford it, I'd get a lighter pack; could easily save 2 pounds there; that's a whole day of food or a liter of water. Some other ideas that are free or relatively cheap: take TP instead of the much heavier wet wipes; take only the Neosporin and not the Vaseline (Neosporin is in a vaseline base); no need for toothpaste; take zipoff pants instead of both pants and shorts; take a lighter stove (lighter canister system if you must have that, or Esbit or alcohol burner if you don't). Study others' PCT gear lists for ideas.

Coffee
01-27-2016, 17:34
22 pounds would have been considered a reasonable base weight 15-20 years ago, I think. I hiked the first 1/3 of the trail nobo last year and had a base weight of around 15 pounds and I think that I was fairly typical. There were definitely some hikers carrying heavier loads, although I think most of them had a slower pace (based on the people I passed vs. kept seeing on the trail).

If I had to choose between hiking with a 22 pounds base weight or not at all, I would absolutely go with the 22 pound base weight - no question at all. As it stands I'm heading SOBO on a thru hike with a base weight of around 13 pounds this year. I have a lighter sleeping bag and plan to go stoveless.

Good luck

burger
01-27-2016, 18:17
I hope you're planning to pack out all of those wet wipes. They are not biodegradable and should not be buried anywhere on the trail.

Cheyou
01-27-2016, 18:43
http://www.sonorapassresupply.com/used-gear/

used gear ear might work for u

damskipi
01-27-2016, 21:18
Connor,

The list looks lighter and lighter every time I open it. Very impressive weight loss since yesterday. I would reconsider the Lifestraw - it's light but you can't fill a clean water container with it; you can only use it for drinking. That makes it no good for filtering cooking water. Sawyer would be a better choice.

What do the asterisks and different star colors mean?

ConnorAnderson
01-27-2016, 21:36
Connor,

The list looks lighter and lighter every time I open it. Very impressive weight loss since yesterday. I would reconsider the Lifestraw - it's light but you can't fill a clean water container with it; you can only use it for drinking. That makes it no good for filtering cooking water. Sawyer would be a better choice.

What do the asterisks and different star colors mean?

Thanks! everyones tips are helping a lot! I plan on doing very little cooking on the trip so I think I can get away with using my aqua mira like solution I've seen others using, to treat my cooking water, as I will only be rehydrating food for dinner at most. What do you guys think?

I might have to fly to get there as I live in Toronto, stars indicate items I can carry on and therefore pretty much guarantee they wont get lost, items that I will purchase in California or mail to myself in California, and items that I will check for a flight or maybe mail to myself in California.

Asterisks indicate items that I already own and will most likely make the final cut, things like a tooth brush and my retainer are things that I cant see cutting, same with the bear vault, I might not always carry it but I am certain that I will at some point, other than things of that nature anything is subject to change at the last second or along the trail

KathyD
01-27-2016, 21:52
If you're on a budget but need some new/different gear, I'd highly recommend keeping an eye on ebay or your local Craigslist for some used gear. I picked up a like new Osprey Exos on ebay for $135 plus free shipping. If you're patient, you should be able to find some great used gear at reasonable prices.

Also, I purchased a brand new Big Agnes Seedhouse from backcountry.com (http://www.backcountry.com/big-agnes-seedhouse-tent-with-cross-over-pole-1-person-3-season?skid=BAG006I-ONECOL-ONESIZ&ti=U2VhcmNoIFJlc3VsdHM6YmlnIGFnbmVzIHNlZWRob3VzZTo xOjk6YmlnIGFnbmVzIHNlZWRob3VzZQ==) for $125. It's an older model, but I'm happy with it. I could have spent a few hundred more dollars and saved a few ounces, but being frugal is important to me.

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 22:05
Its really discouraging that when I ask for advice, all I hear is that my kit is to heavy and to basically go home. None much of this equipment existed 15 years ago and people managed, and when it was available back then it was not nearly as light or available and people managed. As for 62.5 pounds, I didn't plan on carrying 6 litres of water 24/7 and could not find enough water to if i tried, based on water reports, so weight 62.5 lbs is skewed by at least 5 pounds. But I totally agree the pack is still to heavy in total....

-Thanks for the weights, mine were estimates, I wanted to over not under shoot the weight so cheers!
!

I struggle to get my weight under 24 lbs. without food or water. What you say about the cost of ultralight options is valid however. So is the tent issue (in my case I would be happy to do with a tarp-tent, but the skeeters in New England are horrendous.)
I have already gone to an alcohol stove, a Chinese copy of a Trangia (although I may return to a multi-fuel or wood burner for up to 4 or 5 nights. I could always do a cat food stove (I have made dozens, but really do not like the lack of control.)
I may go to a 1.5 man tent (actually a hooped bivy) to save another two or three lbs. over my extensively modified Appy Tent (actually a single wall tarp tent that I modified with storm flaps and mosquito netting. It works fine but is too large for my needs. A smaller model might work, but I dread having to modify another...the first was not easy.) Never I can sometimes find a friend deluded enough to accompany me, although never for 5 nights. On those occasions I obviously need room for two.
I have two ultra light sleeping bags that can be used together as one colder temp bag, so I am good there, esp. when weather is warm and I only need one.
Not sure where to go from here. I have got to get the weight down if I am to do 5 days without stopping for a store. I refuse to take less than about 2.3 lbs of food per day. Often 2.5 or a bit more to satisfy my gourmet side.

iio
01-29-2016, 21:04
Lots of great ideas in this thread! perhaps this will help you some also...
http://www.pmags.com/300-gear-challenge

Greenmountainguy
02-05-2016, 19:28
I struggle to get my weight under 24 lbs. without food or water. What you say about the cost of ultralight options is valid however. So is the tent issue (in my case I would be happy to do with a tarp-tent, but the skeeters in New England are horrendous.)
Quoting myself above since I cannot edit. I think the big issue is my tent. Actual weight of pack in temperate weather is at least 25 lbs. (I had forgotten to include a jacket and extra clothing, if any.) I
Tent: I remember keeping dry in horrendous downpours under a plastic sheet when I began the sport more than 40 years ago. It was the bugs that drove me into a tent and honestly, while I have a huge tent tarp that I fitted with mosquito netting, I would like the weight down more. Maybe 3 lbs with netting.
I could maybe reduce my canteens to two (with an empty bladder for backup) or maybe go to soda bottles. I carry three now, one with a quick opening sip option for night drinking. That might save another three ounces.
I would like to get rid of my ensolite pad and maybe get something like the type that fold into a block, but as with anything, the cost. It might not save weight anyway.
I guess in some ways it comes down to that. Money for an ultra light tent to replace other models I now own. It would help to have a companion to take part of the load for community stuff, but I mostly cannot find anyone to come along. The price of aging, I suppose.
So, my poverty has me pretty much locked into the gear I have. Maybe I just have to do with carrying less. I do would love to get my pack down to 20 lbs. though. I have seen thru hikers with tiny stuff, with food at 15 lbs. It is to dream.

Venchka
02-05-2016, 19:55
You can buy an Essentia 20 ounce bottle of water with a push-pull top for night use. The same top fits their 1 and 1.5 liter bottles. The 1.5 liter bottle is the best weight/volume deal at 34 grams.
Ensolite is heavy as lead. Any foam pad made in the last 20-30 years will be lighter.
You can buy any number of fully weather and bug proof tents at or below 2 pounds for less than $300. The TarpTent (company name) ProTrail is 26 ounces and closer to $200.
Water bladders are heavy. Reusable super market water bottles are lighter and quite durable.
Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.