PDA

View Full Version : Tarptent Double Rainbow

liteweight
01-26-2016, 11:08
Possibly a stupid question. Recently replaced my Hubba Hubba with a DR tarptent. How do other DR owners pack this tent? The last couple of trips I've packed it in the side pocket of my cataylst. I would think to get it inside the pack you would have to remove the small pole that sits on top of the tent.

John B
01-26-2016, 11:16
I have the Rainbow and also the Double Rainbow. I carry both using the center outside mesh pocket on my Osprey Aether 60. Because I'm paranoid that it might fall out without me noticing, I use one of the adjustable straps to further secure it against the pack.

Franco
01-26-2016, 16:00
I carry similar tents across the top of the pack.
To make sure it does not fall off (apart from strapping it down), I also have the stuff sack string secured through another strap.

climbingbear
01-26-2016, 16:03
I too, carry it across the top of my pack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Franco
01-26-2016, 17:44
Across the top would not be a good place for a 5-8 lbs tent but at under 3 pounds it is very doable.
Having it there makes sense to me when I arrive at the campsite particularly if it is raining so that I can set it up before I need to open the pack and possibly having to put other gear down on wet ground.
Some do take the cross strut out of the sleeve and stuff the tent inside the pack but to me that would just end up in more unnecessary wear and tear and possibly damaging or forgetting/losing that strut.

JaketheFake
01-26-2016, 18:27
I struggled with the challenge until I just realized that the little cross piece is easily removed. Once that piece is removed the tent stuffs nicely. I plan to carry the little cross piece in my pack... It would be too easy to lose carried anywhere else. And I just did this as well.... Painted the cross piece yellow so that it's easier to see in my pack.

The stuff you learn on a shakedown hike.