PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite fire tower on the AT?

earlyriser26
01-26-2016, 15:35
I started hiking the AT in the late 1960's and remember so many interesting fire towers. Unfortunately, many of them have been torn down. I have spent many nights in the various towers along the trail. What are your memories or favorites?

rafe
01-26-2016, 15:38
Very fond memory of both Stratton and Glastonbury fire towers in Vermont, I hit both of them at sunset with great views.

Maybe 'cuz there were almost no other views to be had in that part of VT, save for those two fire towers.

Speck fire tower is very cool as well, but the AT bypasses it.

Traveler
01-26-2016, 15:42
Probably the fire tower I remember best was the one on Mt. Everett, MA (removed in 2003/4)

full conditions
01-26-2016, 15:55
I get up to Wesser Bald about once a month for about thirty years now - I suppose it wins almost by default for me. Amazing views back south toward Wayah and Wine Spring and north to Clingman's Dome and the crest of the Smokies; east to the Cowee Mountains and up to the Balsams. Plus, I can see my house from there.

egilbe
01-26-2016, 18:59
It's kinda sad all the fire towers that fell into disuse over time. Some were knocked over to prevent people from hurting themselves on them. After the big fires of 1947, firetowers sprouted up all over New England. You can see the remains of them all along the AT in ME.

AO2134
01-26-2016, 19:07
I have only hiked thru the smokies. So with that disclaimer, Wesser Bald wins for me. I hope to cowboy camp on the tower one day this summer.

GoldenBear
01-26-2016, 19:26
This one:
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=57335&catid=member&imageuser=13863

Pajj
01-26-2016, 20:42
Such a hard question. I'd say the most memorable for me was speck mountain. Camped up there my second day in Maine and it was a great start to the end of my thru. Amazing sunset, and if I remember correctly there was a fun rock scramble to get up the mountain

sethd513
01-26-2016, 21:56
Glastenbury in vt so far. Got a sunset and sunrise out of it on a blue moon. Great night

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160127/d49fed696608eb395fe25bba98d7af14.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

soilman
01-26-2016, 22:47
Smart Mt, NH

RockDoc
01-26-2016, 23:13
The summit of Lamb's Knoll, MD used to be a fun public place where back in the 1970's we would hold ham radio festivals and camp free for days. I think there was an old tower there... But the peak has been increasingly taken away from us as secret gov installations were installed and enlarged. Now the AT just skirts the south edge of the summit and it is no longer a public area.

LittleRock
01-27-2016, 08:44
Shuckstack in the Smokies

coach lou
01-27-2016, 08:56
Smart Mt, NH

:banana33422

runt13
01-27-2016, 08:58
33423catfish in nj

runt13
01-27-2016, 08:59
33424the view

Kaptainkriz
01-27-2016, 09:08
Is there a db or listing of coordinates for all of them along the AT?

Woodturner
01-27-2016, 09:25
When it comes to heights, I have a large yellow streak down my back. Because of this, I can only remember climbing one fire tower. Slightly higher than the trees around it, the Walker Mountain fire tower did give me some nice pictures of the ridge I would be walking on for the rest of the day. Further along the ridge, Walker Mountain Lookout featured a restaurant and a 100 foot observation tower. I took advantage of the restaurant, but not the tower. Of course, the trail isn't even on Walker Mountain anymore, and the original restaurant has burned down to be rebuilt at a different spot. But the tower is still there.
A few have mentioned Wesser Bald. As I remember it, the first flight of steps were pretty near being over the edge of the bald. The tower itself wasn't that tall, but that first flight of steps stopped me.

MockingJay
01-27-2016, 09:43
Mt Cammerer...although technically it's a lookout and not a fire tower. On my last trip, I had been walking all morning in the fog and decided to chance the trip out to Mt Cammerer. Just as I broke out of the trees, the fog lifted and the clouds burned off and I was treated to a glorious view with the sun warming behind the tower as a I climbed up. It was so surreal it was almost a religious experience. Besides, it's a cool shaped building and not just another exposed steel frame as with most other towers.

illabelle
01-27-2016, 09:44
Surprised no one has mentioned Mt Cammerer fire tower in the Smokies. Here's a google pic, or two:
https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.M3547aaa175cb4885348511a2657ee03fo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

https://sp.yimg.com/xj/th?id=OIP.Mc86c83178253b5495d83da71bd95b30eo0&pid=15.1&P=0&w=300&h=300

soilman
01-27-2016, 11:01
Mt Cammerer...although technically it's a lookout and not a fire tower.
It is .6 mile off the trail, so technically it is not on the AT, but it is a great view.

full conditions
01-27-2016, 13:17
I cant recall the name right off the bat, but I recall spending the night in a fire tower on a mountain in Maine just north of the Kennebec River. It was a sunny early October afternoon getting on towards the end of my '76 thru hike and my buddy and I felt like lords of the world.

Cookerhiker
01-27-2016, 13:22
Glastonbury in southern Vermont. My very first backpacking trip in 1977 was southbound from Rt.30 near Manchester to Rt.9. Like many newbies, it was a struggle, primarily because I wasn't in shape. But I remember the spectacular view from Glastonbury, a view in which nothing man-made was in sight - nothing but trees, lakes, and mountains.

That hike began a series of section hikes, culminating in my completion of the AT in 2005. I hiked the entire Long Trail in sections also. So in 2007 to mark my 30 year anniversary, I thruhiked the Long Trail In 2017 (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=6248), I will do so again.

earlyriser26
01-27-2016, 13:47
I cant recall the name right off the bat, but I recall spending the night in a fire tower on a mountain in Maine just north of the Kennebec River. It was a sunny early October afternoon getting on towards the end of my '76 thru hike and my buddy and I felt like lords of the world.

That most likely was Moxie bald mountain, although Pleasant pond mountain had one at one time, but I am sure it was taken down before 1974. I maintained the section of trail between Pleasant pond mountain and Joe's hole in the late 1970's.

earlyriser26
01-27-2016, 13:52
My favorites were Albert mountain (the rock scramble was memorable). Wesser has just the best view at sunset (put my tent up on the platform). Moxie Bald in Maine had a great tower, with a firewardens cabin just beneath it (It made me very sad to see that they removed it).

earlyriser26
01-27-2016, 13:57
The summit of Lamb's Knoll, MD used to be a fun public place where back in the 1970's we would hold ham radio festivals and camp free for days. I think there was an old tower there... But the peak has been increasingly taken away from us as secret gov installations were installed and enlarged. Now the AT just skirts the south edge of the summit and it is no longer a public area.

Probably not a good idea to be on the AT if we are ever in a war. Nothing but government bunkers, listening posts, etc. along the AT (Mount weather, Raven rock, lambs knoll, etc.)

Rain Man
01-27-2016, 17:00
33423catfish in nj

I agree, but due to the fact that this one was "manned" and we were invited up by the lookout and treated with such hospitality. I've seen some other great ones, most mentioned in this thread, but finding one with a friendly official welcome, that made the difference for me.

Harrison Bergeron
01-28-2016, 16:35
Albert was amazing. I loved the big buildup -- people talking for days about how tough it was, and the way you had lots of time to worry about it because you could see that mountain with the tower on top from so far away, every time there was a break in the trees. Then you get to the bypass trail (was that "Chunky Gal Trail"?) and you're joking with the other guys about taking the bypass and secretly wishing you were alone so nobody could see you do it. Then you get to the rock scramble and it looks like it goes straight up, and you wonder how far it goes past that turn, and you're asking yourself why the hell you didn't just take the damned bypass? Then all of a sudden you're at the top of the rock scramble looking down and going "was that it?". A little more huffing up the hill and suddenly the trees clear and that gigantic tower looms, and look at that -- the concrete anchors are just the right height to sit and have lunch on!

And that amazing climb up the tower steps with the wind howling like it's going to blow you right off. And the view -- you can see all the way to Clingmans! Awesome!

Then, as you leave, you come to the bypass trail again and realize you could have seen the top of Albert for a lot less work, but you would have missed that great rock scramble!

Wow. That day was one of my favorites.

Christoph
01-28-2016, 16:46
The one that stuck out for me is the one atop Albert Mountain. Maybe because of the climb up there was a little hard (but fun) at the end of the days hike. Only thing is, I wish it was unlocked!

full conditions
01-28-2016, 16:50
That most likely was Moxie bald mountain, although Pleasant pond mountain had one at one time, but I am sure it was taken down before 1974. I maintained the section of trail between Pleasant pond mountain and Joe's hole in the late 1970's.
Yes - that's it - Moxie Bald. An enormous granite dome. The firewarden had left an amazing collection of paperback novels in the tower cabin and I managed to plow through one by 2:00 am.

Woodturner
01-28-2016, 18:28
Albert was amazing. I loved the big buildup -- people talking for days about how tough it was, and the way you had lots of time to worry about it because you could see that mountain with the tower on top from so far away, every time there was a break in the trees. Then you get to the bypass trail (was that "Chunky Gal Trail"?) and you're joking with the other guys about taking the bypass and secretly wishing you were alone so nobody could see you do it. Then you get to the rock scramble and it looks like it goes straight up, and you wonder how far it goes past that turn, and you're asking yourself why the hell you didn't just take the damned bypass? Then all of a sudden you're at the top of the rock scramble looking down and going "was that it?". A little more huffing up the hill and suddenly the trees clear and that gigantic tower looms, and look at that -- the concrete anchors are just the right height to sit and have lunch on!

And that amazing climb up the tower steps with the wind howling like it's going to blow you right off. And the view -- you can see all the way to Clingmans! Awesome!

Then, as you leave, you come to the bypass trail again and realize you could have seen the top of Albert for a lot less work, but you would have missed that great rock scramble!

Wow. That day was one of my favorites.

I think the Chunky Gal trail is several miles south of Standing Indian. The bypass trail is just the service road to the top of Albert Mountain.

oldwetherman
01-28-2016, 21:43
Another vote for Shuckstack.

saltysack
01-28-2016, 21:44
Only been on a few so far my favorite is Wesser because it was my first trip with the lil guy...http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160129/24158a67e49f6803c4c5d75bdbdc90de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daddytwosticks
01-29-2016, 08:13
I think the Chunky Gal trail is several miles south of Standing Indian. The bypass trail is just the service road to the top of Albert Mountain.

There is a bypass trail around Albert Mtn. It's just past Big Butt. Big Butt...Chunky Gal...it's easy to confuse! :)

Seatbelt
01-29-2016, 13:37
I liked Rich Mtn Tower

daveiniowa
01-29-2016, 20:35
Another vote for Albert. Finished there his fall on my section from Dicks creek, and yep... I was NOBO and all the SOBOs were telling me about the steep climb up, not so bad. I stayed there for an hour just staring out thinking how awful it was that I had to leave now and go back to civilization and how I could not wait to get back and start there with my pack again this Spring... I hope. Love it!

Captain Bluebird
02-04-2016, 00:02
My wife and I were "leafing" in Vermont this Fall. We did a day hike doing a loop on the Long Trail and AT. We came upon the Stratton fire tower. My wife went right up the steps to the top. I started and got 1/2 way and went back down. My wife laughed, so I tried again and 1/2 way up went back down. I have been up several towers on the AT in Tn, N.C. and Ga. There is something about the Stratton. It does wobble with all that wind. The staircase is totally exposed and once you are about 25' up, you are above the tree line and you suddenly realize you are on top of a mountain. Hopefully, I will get another chance!

Cookerhiker
02-04-2016, 11:13
My wife and I were "leafing" in Vermont this Fall. We did a day hike doing a loop on the Long Trail and AT. We came upon the Stratton fire tower. My wife went right up the steps to the top. I started and got 1/2 way and went back down. My wife laughed, so I tried again and 1/2 way up went back down. I have been up several towers on the AT in Tn, N.C. and Ga. There is something about the Stratton. It does wobble with all that wind. The staircase is totally exposed and once you are about 25' up, you are above the tree line and you suddenly realize you are on top of a mountain. Hopefully, I will get another chance!

The view from Stratton reportedly influenced Benton MacKaye when he developed his vision for the Appalachian Trail.

rafe
02-04-2016, 11:43
The view from Stratton reportedly influenced Benton MacKaye when he developed his vision for the Appalachian Trail.

As Felix McGillicuddy might say, "Shirley, you jest!" Benton grew up and spent his later years in Shirley MA. Not far from where I live. It's close to Mt. Watatic, which is the north terminus of the MA mid-state Trail and the south terminus of the Wapac Trail. I've read the same thing you did about his "epiphany" at Stratton. I also read that his main playground as a kid was 'round Watatic.

Bryson describes a funny scene on top of Stratton in AWITW -- the book, not the movie. Concerning some guy with a weather computer gadget. (Recall, this was in 1995.) Classic sardonic Bryson humor.

Captain Bluebird
02-04-2016, 14:06
I am going back to Stratton for sure! Perhaps they will fix the teetering tower!