PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear questions

Bill B
01-26-2016, 18:01
Thoughts on the suitability of a rain kilt vs rain pants for a July/August CT? Used the kilt on the JMT last summer but realize Colorado mtn weather is different...

Also Frog Toggs rain jacket vs a heavier eVent shell?

colorado_rob
01-26-2016, 18:16
Rain pants provide some warmth, a kilt does not. I used a rain kilt myself on the AT where warmth (during rain) is not much of a factor. It gets pretty cold here up high in CO when it rains. I always carry rain pants in CO. Also nice to have that extra pant layer in the mornings/evenings around camp. If you carry two pant layers besides rain protection (like long-johns and zip-off hiking pants, or whatever), then maybe a long-ish kilt would work well. I might try that kit myself sometime out here.

I used to be a huge frog-togg jacket proponent, not any more, seems like the newer ones wet out easily. I now carry an OR Helium as my regular rain jacket. 1/2 an ounce heavier, seems to hold up slightly better in a downpour. Never tried event in a jacket, so cannot compare.

Just my $0.02

colorado_rob
01-26-2016, 18:17
Crap, you said JMT, not AT last summer... actually, the CT is pretty darn similar to the JMT, just a bit rainier, especially in July/August. Temperature wise, pretty darn similar.

MuddyWaters
01-26-2016, 19:33
You can get by with anything, even $1 poncho, in the right conditions.

Ive been darn near frozen by thunderstorm at ~45F with heavy sleet in CO in July.

With the wrong gear, you end up having to hole up and wait things out more.

lonehiker
01-26-2016, 19:35
I use the combination you reference, the Frogg Togg top and a kilt for bottom, and have for a few years. Have used for the length of the CT (and for the high Sierra portion of the PCT) as well as hundreds of miles at elevation in Wyoming and has worked fine for me. Actually the kilt works much better for me as I actually use the kilt whereas with pants I would inevitably get tired of putting on and taking off so would eventually just let lower half get wet.

I hope that Colorado_rob's experience with the new Frogg Toggs isn't universal, as I really like this combination and my top is really showing signs of wear....

Bill B
01-27-2016, 11:51
Was given a new FT jacket that I haven't used yet, I'll have to get it out on a few rainy spring days to test it out before the upcoming season. I'm attracted by its 4oz savings over my eVent rain jacket but not if it doesn't perform well...

Cookerhiker
01-27-2016, 11:53
I was grateful for rain pants on my CT thruhike. Don't think I ever used them while hiking but in camp, they kept my lower half dry and made it more comfortable to prepare and eat dinner.

colorado_rob
01-27-2016, 12:10
Was given a new FT jacket that I haven't used yet, I'll have to get it out on a few rainy spring days to test it out before the upcoming season. I'm attracted by its 4oz savings over my eVent rain jacket but not if it doesn't perform well...Yeah, see what you think. Maybe I got a bad couple of Frogg Togg jackets (I ordered two at once last spring). I might give mine a second chance on some 2-3 day hikes. And because of the endorsements on here, I'm going to try my rain kilt (used for practically entire AT) this mid-summer in CO. Come September (still technically summer), I think the warmth of rain pants (in camp, mornings and evenings) will be welcome.

BTW Bill B, I do give rides to the Waterton trailhead for you out of staters doing a CT SWBO, generally available Monday-Wednesday, some Thursdays, practically no Friday-Sundays though. just get yourself from airport to a SW Denver lightrail station, I've been picking up folks at Littleton-Mineral, but occasionally downtown REI (if not during rush hour). Holler for details. I gave maybe 10-12 WB folks a ride last summer, gratis.

Bill B
01-27-2016, 18:45
BTW Bill B, I do give rides to the Waterton trailhead for you out of staters doing a CT SWBO, generally available Monday-Wednesday, some Thursdays, practically no Friday-Sundays though. just get yourself from airport to a SW Denver lightrail station, I've been picking up folks at Littleton-Mineral, but occasionally downtown REI (if not during rush hour). Holler for details. I gave maybe 10-12 WB folks a ride last summer, gratis.

Thanks for the offer Rob, much appreciated! Not sure of my travel plans yet but I'll definitely keep you in mind!