PDA

View Full Version : Over Mountain Shelter Parking

Gary62
01-27-2016, 12:32
Is overnight parking allowed at the access road to Over Mountain Shelter? Is it safe?

Mr. Bumpy
01-27-2016, 14:50
Safe better than average I'd say. I've parked over there more than a dozen times over the years and not experienced nor seen problems.
Carvers Gap is mostly OK.
Parking at 19E is a different tiger that I hope you have been advised about.

TNhiker
01-27-2016, 16:45
Parking at 19E is a different tiger that I hope you have been advised about.

better off parking down at mountain harbor..................thats just downhill a minute or three.....

Gambit McCrae
01-27-2016, 18:03
I have always heard of parking issues there however I have parked there 5 weekends with no problems. Lucky me.

Mr. Bumpy
01-27-2016, 18:18
I have always heard of parking issues there however I have parked there 5 weekends with no problems. Lucky me.

If you are meaning 19E then you are lucky! There have been instances in which vehicles of day hikers have been messed with.

But the OP was specific to Roaring Creek Rd (or whatever it is called) and that is a safe bet.

Gambit McCrae
01-27-2016, 18:26
If you are meaning 19E then you are lucky! There have been instances in which vehicles of day hikers have been messed with.

But the OP was specific to Roaring Creek Rd (or whatever it is called) and that is a safe bet.

Sorry I did mean 19E. My favorite AT trip to repeat is Cloudland to 19E

Rain Man
01-28-2016, 00:18

Did I miss something? The OP specifically mentioned "Roaring Creek Road"???

Tennessee Viking
01-28-2016, 08:36
I have parked at Roaring Creek (Overmountain) trailhead a handful of times overnight and dayhikes no problems.

I would be a bit more cautious during hunting season or Memorial Day/July4th/Labor Day holidays as it tends to get more traffic. These times non-hiker crowds tend to come in and camp at Overmountain.