PDA

View Full Version : US Army looking for volunteers to eat MRE's for 21 days. They'll pay $200.00

oldwetherman
01-27-2016, 13:45
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/31/health/mre-meals-study-feat/

egilbe
01-27-2016, 13:54
One of the benefits of getting out of the Army was not having to eat those again.

bemental
01-27-2016, 16:54
Never again

Casey & Gina
01-27-2016, 17:39
Wow, $200. They can keep it. I got excited on a recent backpacking trip when I was gathering firewood and found an unopened packet of peanut butter. Then I realized it was MRE "peanut butter". I packed it out and tossed it. :P

lonehiker
01-27-2016, 20:06
I didn't mind the peanut butter. The cheese packets were another thing though...

egilbe
01-27-2016, 20:21
You know that holiday tradition of giving a fruit loaf? Or fruit bread? I hate that stuff. MRE fruit bread was the only one i coukd eat. Weird.

MuddyWaters
01-27-2016, 20:33
I didn't mind the peanut butter. The cheese packets were another thing though...

I thought the jalepeno cheese spread on crackers was the best thing of all.

Next to the ones that have a little name brand chocolate in them.

4eyedbuzzard
01-27-2016, 20:36
Well, the $200 should cover the cost of laxatives at least.

Wise Old Owl
01-27-2016, 20:48
Wow I have had the deep pleasure of eating Afghanistan MRE as some came back.... The new varieties and added "junk" to keep it interesting... well its OK - Salty yup. Heavy - of course.

You won't loose weight on this stuff. kind of like the Morgan Spurlock's Super Size me.

damskipi
01-27-2016, 20:49
I thought the jalepeno cheese spread on crackers was the best thing of all.

I was just going to comment about the weirdos that liked the jalapeno cheese spread.

I thought the PB was okay. The brown sugar & cinnamon PopTarts were a nice treat but if I remember correctly they always came with the worst entrees. I will admit they've gotten better over the last few years. Adding tortillas was nice.

Venchka
01-27-2016, 22:19
There are probably a zillion Vets down on their luck who could use the food and the $200.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Viper2016
01-28-2016, 10:11
Wow, MREs, you mean they finally got rid of all those C-rats that some unidentified government issued to its personnel?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

nsherry61
01-28-2016, 10:33
Interesting how nobody (myself included) seems inclined to take on a little social responsibility and partake in the MRE feed to maybe help contribute to making the MRE better. Instead, we're all mostly griping about how bad they are.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2016, 10:49
Interesting how nobody (myself included) seems inclined to take on a little social responsibility and partake in the MRE feed to maybe help contribute to making the MRE better. Instead, we're all mostly griping about how bad they are.Okay, you have a valid point. But does it strike anyone else as a bit odd that the U.S. Army Institute of Environmental Medicine needs civilian volunteers to accomplish this study? :-?

Hiker6301
01-28-2016, 10:57
Well, the $200 should cover the cost of laxatives at least.

It comes with a laxative. It's the chicklets

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.hiker63.com

One Half
01-28-2016, 14:57
I have a friend who volunteered. Not sure if he was selected. I have friends who work at Natick.

Stepinwolfe
01-28-2016, 17:46
This is cruel and unusual punishment and a violation of the Geneva Conventions.

lonehiker
01-28-2016, 18:02
Interesting how nobody (myself included) seems inclined to take on a little social responsibility and partake in the MRE feed to maybe help contribute to making the MRE better. Instead, we're all mostly griping about how bad they are.

I don't live in the area....

One Half
01-28-2016, 18:06
So my friend was actually rejected. They are going to do blood work on people before and after. You also have to go to the facility 3x per week.

damskipi
01-28-2016, 19:48
Okay, you have a valid point. But does it strike anyone else as a bit odd that the U.S. Army Institute of Environmental Medicine needs civilian volunteers to accomplish this study? :-?

They tested the recipes at Fort Carson in 2014 to work out things like taste and texture: http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/archives/2014/11/02/what-s-new-in-your-mre-2015-and-beyond/78549362/

I think they always test the new menu items on military personnel. Not sure why they are using civilians for the "gut health" studies, unless maybe it's to experiment on people who aren't already used to eating MREs and/or don't have a lot of overseas experience?

Pedaling Fool
01-28-2016, 20:01
Okay, you have a valid point. But does it strike anyone else as a bit odd that the U.S. Army Institute of Environmental Medicine needs civilian volunteers to accomplish this study? :-?...can't use civilians as cannon fodder anymore, so gotta make use of them some how:D

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 20:20
Rumor is that they have improved. They even have pizza now. Supposedly it tastes like yesterday's left over pizza. Maybe.

Five Tango
01-29-2016, 08:05
I thought the U.S.Army already had a test group called Soldiers?Why should tax dollars be spent to do research on civilians when soldiers are the ones who have to eat it anyway?

Doughnut
01-29-2016, 10:12
Ate that stuff (old stuff) for 6 months, No kidding in 6 months I had 2 hot (Class A) meals - Thanksgiving and Christmas!
there should be plenty of research on it's effect on blood and bacteria!

egilbe
01-29-2016, 10:31
Ate that stuff (old stuff) for 6 months, No kidding in 6 months I had 2 hot (Class A) meals - Thanksgiving and Christmas!
there should be plenty of research on it's effect on blood and bacteria!

Maybe that want uncontamintaed guts as a test?

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2016, 10:43
A couple of thoughts: There aren't any military bases in that area with large active duty contingents. Also, perhaps they are looking for very active people? Or inactive? Or a certain sample maybe age, gender, etc., that isn't represented by military personnel? Coming in for testing three times per week might not be possible otherwise.

Sarcasm the elf
01-29-2016, 11:32
On a side note, my Jobs-A-Ma-Phone often cuts off some text in the title of threads on this site, so on the Today's Posts page this is showing up as "US Army Looking for Volunteers to Eat" :banana

Mags
01-29-2016, 12:30
A couple of thoughts: There aren't any military bases in that area with large active duty contingents. Also, perhaps they are looking for very active people? Or inactive? Or a certain sample maybe age, gender, etc., that isn't represented by military personnel? Coming in for testing three times per week might not be possible otherwise.

It is Darpa..and they are looking for local volunteers near the Natick, MA area.

So, I suspect you are right meaning no really big military bases in the general area.

Ft. Devons is a fraction of its former size in terms of use. Newport, RI has not been a large navy base in 40+ years . New London, CT (submarine base) was almost on the chopping block a decade ago is not that big, either (7,500) all things considered. Throw in a few scattered National Guard/Reserve and Coast Guard stations and the military personnel within reasonable driving range (2-3 hrs max?) as requested is rather thin on the ground. Esp if, as you said, they are looking for specific types and the rather small military presence in southern New England does not fit what they are looking for.

And, finally, these people have to work and not necessarily have the time to drive to DARPA 3x a week!

FlyFishNut
02-02-2016, 20:15
I used to eat 4-6 of those a day when I was in the field. The 1st Sgt said, "You only eat once a day... but it's ALL GD Day". I loved them, especially Chicken A La King.

Flash forward 5 years after I exited duty and tried to eat one. Tasted like $*#@. Couldn't choke it down.

Count me out....

egilbe
02-02-2016, 20:19
Chicken a la king over ramen noodles...add the sand and the hot sun and I'd feel like I was back in White Sands again.

rocketsocks
02-03-2016, 14:06
I'd be all over this for 200 bones...were I not tryin' to watch my sodium and sugar levels, and trying to loose some weight.