PDA

View Full Version : Platypus Gravity works vs. Sawyer Complete system

Kestrelchick
01-27-2016, 18:10
Would love to hear opinions about either the Platypus Gravity works 4L system or the Sawyer Complete Water System. My 14 year old son and I are planning a 2017 thru-hike and we are in the process of putting together our gear lists - I have seen a lot of stuff written about the Sawyer Squeeze and using a smart water bottle - which sounds great (a few people have written that it does seem to take a bit of time) but wasn't sure if that was the best choice given there are 2 of us so of course that means 2x the filtering amount. Would love to hear any opinions about either system?

Casey & Gina
01-27-2016, 18:25
I use Platypus bladders and collapsible bottles but don't like the GravityWorks system; I think the Sawyer is a much better option. That said, I replaced the Sawyer dirty water bag with a 2L GravityWorks dirty bag because it's easier to fill up and I trust it more when giving it a good hard squeeze (the Sawyer takes a fair bit of pressure to get water through when the water is barely above freezing temperatures, though it will work by gravity in warmer weather). In general, I love all the stuff Platypus makes except for the filter part. As for the Sawyer, I'd recommend the full-size one over the mini which is much easier to clog and not work when you need it to.
http://amzn.com/B00AZVMS72

The Sawyer is great, just don't let it freeze or it will be compromised. If temperatures are going to be below freezing, keep it in your pocket or in your sleeping bag. As long as it doesn't freeze, a single Sawyer will last you a lifetime.

If you are looking for more convenience and heavier weight, a ceramic filter pump setup may be preferable.

jcreamer
01-27-2016, 18:32
There are tons of posts you can find on how to modify a sawyer to make a gravity feed system. I second the recommendation of getting the squeeze (original) and not the mini. My mini is significantly slower and easier to clog. I rarely have to back flush my sqeeze but the mini has to be backflushed every couple of days - and I'm picky about my water source (re: filtering out silt). I also agree that the sawyer bags are not easy to fill. I carry a cut off gallon milk jug bottom that I use as a clean up bathtub, water scoop, utility tub for whatever. It makes collecting water easy and also filling the bag is easier.
Best of luck on you hike. I'm jealous!
Jeff.

Kestrelchick
01-27-2016, 20:55
Thanks guys for the replies. Weight will be something I am watching closely - I am not a spring chicken (will be 48) as opposed to my 14 year old son and am trying my hardest to watch my pack weight so I think a ceramic filter pump may be out - I liked the reviews for the MSR Sweetwater but the thought of sitting there pumping over and over for 2 people doesn't sound like much fun. I like the idea of a gravity filter because it would allow us to do a larger amount of water which would be super helpful when cooking for 2 and filling us up for drinking water but the idea of each of us having our own Sawyer squeeze is also very appealing....

HawRiverBrewer
01-27-2016, 21:14
I carry a katadyn hiker pro for my kids, wife , and I. It's much faster then any of the sawyers I tried. It's a glass paper filter ( not ceramic) and weighs in at about 13oz. It's so fast that water isn't a chore . In fact, I've found we carry less water when we know we can stop and grab a liter whenever we cross a source.

OCDave
01-27-2016, 23:12
I have had an MSR Waterworks for many years. Loved it when I got it, love it today. I picked up Sawyer Squeeze, then later the Sawer Mini to save weight. Never loved them. Filling the bags, all the squeezing, the back-flushing ect. make these filters a pain in the tukhus.

I had the opportunity to use the Platypus 4L Gravity system last summer. A group of 15 had my 2 Sawyer filters, the mini set up as a gravity system, and the Platypus system. After the 1st water stop, the Sawyer filters became dead weight. They were not used again. The Platypus Gravity system is FAST, and simple. It provided all the water our group needed for 4 days.

I have since purchased my own Platypus 4L Gravity system. It has relegated my MSR Waterworks and my Sawyer filters to my "probably never going to use it again" gear bin. It has the capacity for large groups but is light enough to pack when hiking solo.

I have only used my new Platypus system on half-a-dozen trips so far but, it is one of my most satisfying gear purchases.

K2 Travels
01-28-2016, 01:15
Been using the platypus gravity (2L) for years now. Works amazing, much better than hand squeezing multiple liters into bottles.

I carry just one 2 liter dirty bag and use it to filter into my two 1 liter water bottles. Will filter and fill both in just a couple minutes.

One other area is the ease in which the platypus can be backflushed, does not require a syringe like the sawyer.

Again I have used both and find the platypus is well worth the couple extra ounces.

Hosh
01-28-2016, 14:04
The Sawyer 3in1 filter is much better than the mini or squeeze for gravity systems. It runs at a very fast flow and needs little back flushing. I use either a Evernew 2 liter bag or a MSR 5 liter bag for dirty and filter into my drinking bottles or cookware depending on group size. I even take the 3in1 on small group trips it's so easy to use and you don't have to constantly back flush.

As far as either system, I don's see the need for a dedicated clean bag. My MSR came with silicone lines and a plastic shutoff located below the filter. You filter on demand for whatever you need. If I need to carry multiple liters of clean, then a Camelbak or Osprey bladder is a much better option. It rides against your back for a better carry.

Casey & Gina
01-28-2016, 14:04
One other area is the ease in which the platypus can be backflushed, does not require a syringe like the sawyer.

The Sawyer comes with but does not require the syringe for backflushing. I filter from a Platypus dirty bag into Platypus 2L collapsible bottles (which I then transfer into whatever else). Everything connects with hoses and quick-disconnects so there is no possibility of a leaky mess. I can just give a good hard squeeze on the clean water bottle after filling it up to backflush the filter. This ensures no contaminants are getting into the clean side of the filter and that there is no spillage involved.

I travel with my wife and son in every trip and we use a single filter. It really does not take very long at all to filter water with the squeeze method - I generally don't have the patience to wait for gravity.

I also cut the lines on our hydration bladders midway and installed quick disconnects, so I can refill the bladders without taking them out of the packs from the collapsible bottles. Again, no mess. This isn't the way a Sawyer filter comes but with a little creativity you can design your own system that works out very well in practice.

Slosteppin
01-28-2016, 20:32
Some interesting ideas. I used the Platypus 4 L Gravity System for two years. I quit for two reasons; I found it difficult to impossible to backflush, and it is heavy. I used a MSR filter for a year then picked up a Sawyer Mini. After a lot of experimenting I bought several Quick Connects from REI and rigged up a gravity system. I also bought a 4L Platy bladder for dirty water.
I also (like Hosh) do not carry a separate clean water bladder. I carry two one Liter bladders for drinking while hiking I filter directly into the smaller bladders or into the pot for hot water, "cooking" and coffee.
Yes, the Sawyer is slower than the Platypus complete system. Not a problem - When a clean bladder is full it stops flowing. I usually set up my tent or hammock while the water is filtering. I just have to watch close when filtering into the pot for hot water.

Kestrelchick
01-29-2016, 17:27
I greatly appreciate everyone's comments - has given us a lot to think about!