PDA

View Full Version : Charging devices while on trail

Bubblehead
01-28-2016, 11:56
I will be carrying my i phone 6s and kindle paperwhite with me while hiking springer to HF this coming April....I've been researching how to keep my devices charged in between my trail town stops...I'm looking at the Anker Powercore 20100mAh power bank. Does anyone have experience with this item; or any recommendations on a better device....something that works better or is a little lighter? Thanks....

soumodeler
01-28-2016, 12:02
Overkill. You will only need to charge the kindle about once a month, and a 10,000mAh Anker battery pack will charge an iPhone 6S approx 4 times. You can get to town or a hostel at least once a week to charge the phone and battery pack. Just keep the phone off or on airplane mode while not in use and you will be fine.

I highly recommend the Anker brand, just not the 21000mAh!

Slo-go'en
01-28-2016, 12:08
Learn good battery management techniques and you probably won't need to recharge it between town stops. Leave it in airplane mode, make sure wifi, GPS and Bluetooth are turned off, keep the screen brightness turned down and put it into shut down mode at night. Then get a small, 4800 mAh recharger pack for emergency recharging if you accidently run the battery too low a day from town.

Leo L.
01-28-2016, 12:30
Unless the battery pack you choose supports simultanous charging and beeing charged (something many do not), you might want a multiple output primary charger as well.

saltysack
01-28-2016, 12:40
Overkill. You will only need to charge the kindle about once a month, and a 10,000mAh Anker battery pack will charge an iPhone 6S approx 4 times. You can get to town or a hostel at least once a week to charge the phone and battery pack. Just keep the phone off or on airplane mode while not in use and you will be fine.

I highly recommend the Anker brand, just not the 21000mAh!

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mksapp
01-28-2016, 12:56
Anker Astro E3 for the win. Only 8oz and it will give you 4 charges which is enough to get between towns/hostels/ect. On sale for $25 on Amazon

Christoph
01-28-2016, 16:51
Ankor 10000 ma (20 bucks from Amazon) worked very well for me and my Droid Maxx. It was even overkill, there's plenty of places to grab a charge along the way. I even gave a few guys some charges at random shelters to top them off. The weight was minimal and if I ever get a chance for another thru attempt, I'll take it again in heartbeat.

Christoph
01-28-2016, 16:52
My phone was on the majority of the time and I used it mainly for videos, video editing, and uploads to YouTube as well.

QiWiz
01-28-2016, 17:08
I will be carrying my i phone 6s and kindle paperwhite with me while hiking springer to HF this coming April

Leave the Kindle at home and use the Kindle app on iPhone for reading. This will save enough weight to make your tech gear kit much lighter. You can probably get by with a 10-12,000 mAh battery IMO. Turn down screen brightness on iPhone when you read to save batteries. You will probably not do as much reading as you think you will anyway.

Sarcasm the elf
01-28-2016, 17:12
I use the much smaller 5600mah Anker charger, but have been very happy with their product.

Casey & Gina
01-28-2016, 18:07
Leave the Kindle at home and use the Kindle app on iPhone for reading. This will save enough weight to make your tech gear kit much lighter. You can probably get by with a 10-12,000 mAh battery IMO. Turn down screen brightness on iPhone when you read to save batteries. You will probably not do as much reading as you think you will anyway.

I'm taking a Kindle; I always carry mine even on short trips. The battery life is *far* better on it than using a Kindle app, plus it's easier on the eyes. There is ample time to read most days, unless you are really striving for big miles and hiking from the moment you wake up until setting up camp and going straight to bed (which I doubt most bodies can endure for too long). I will also carry an iPod Touch which is more battery-efficient than an iPhone 6s, and a GPS receiver for the rare times I think that will be of use. I have a 5200mAh RAVpower battery which seems like well more than enough, but I don't plan on doing any video.

gbolt
01-28-2016, 19:52
A few weeks back, I purchase the RavPower 10,400mAH External Battery on Sale for $14.99 normally $19.99. Here is a Box Opening Video if interested:

http://youtu.be/RQ1vskxq-kU

Puddlefish
01-28-2016, 20:00
I learned more than I ever wanted to about portable chargers from this (http://www.amazon.com/review/R15PYWJOIMYL74/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B005X1Y7I2&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=2335752011&store=wireless) review.

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 20:18
There are many portable power packs such as "Juice Pack" but I am looking into a solar charger. Many are available for instance in catalogs and any EMS outlet (I have even seen cheap models in big retailers. I am told they work well for a cell phone at least, but do not have wider experience. I am planning to section hike the Long Trail this summer, and I am wondering if really powerful sunlight is needed pretty much always. The power packs (I have one) basically give me one full day of power. After that, I will be down to solar. I will probably take a Sierra Stove (formerly at least called a Zip Stove) and would like to recharge a battery or two for that as well.

Coffee
01-28-2016, 20:24
I like the Anker Astro Mini. It charges my phone once and my camera battery several times. I keep my phone either in airplane mode or off almost all the time though.... heavier users will want a larger external battery. Actually the main reason I keep carrying the Anker Astro Mini is that I can recharge it in public places without worrying too much about it getting stolen. Most of the time, I charge my phone to 100% the prior night and then charge the Anker in town. big advantage. and prob worth the 3 ounces just for that reason.

Slo-go'en
01-28-2016, 20:26
There are many portable power packs such as "Juice Pack" but I am looking into a solar charger.

Don't waste your money. You will never be in the sun long enough to have it do any good. You need like 12 hours of noon time sun unless you have a panel bigger then your pack. A ZIP stove will run almost forever on one set of batteries.

Puddlefish
01-28-2016, 20:30
There are many portable power packs such as "Juice Pack" but I am looking into a solar charger. Many are available for instance in catalogs and any EMS outlet (I have even seen cheap models in big retailers. I am told they work well for a cell phone at least, but do not have wider experience. I am planning to section hike the Long Trail this summer, and I am wondering if really powerful sunlight is needed pretty much always. The power packs (I have one) basically give me one full day of power. After that, I will be down to solar. I will probably take a Sierra Stove (formerly at least called a Zip Stove) and would like to recharge a battery or two for that as well.

Last time I dealt with a smaller solar charger was while sailing, on the ocean, without trees. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. Even the angle of the cell to the sun can be important for efficiency. Vermont has a few trees.

Wise Old Owl
01-28-2016, 20:34

Well that was my answer. +1 Thank's QiWiz - beat the Owl again.

I would add HYOH too.

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 20:36
Don't waste your money. You will never be in the sun long enough to have it do any good. You need like 12 hours of noon time sun unless you have a panel bigger then your pack. A ZIP stove will run almost forever on one set of batteries.
You support my concerns. While the salesmen are big on the solar chargers, I operate almost solely under a canopy. I suppose I could periodically put it in the sun for lunch stops and before sun down, but I was afraid of the need for serious duration. The other option though makes me slave to the periodically available power outlet and since I generally have to make time...resupply is brief to say the least...I fear my wife will not hear for me for longer periods than she is comfortable with.
I have never used the ZIP for long periods and as a matter of fact was thinking of one of the newer wood burners that uses no blower. Oh well, I doubt I can get away until high summer anyway.

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 20:40
I have also heard of chargers that take a standard battery (alkaline or similar) and transmit the power to a cell phone or such. At least this would give me the option of getting a couple of batteries most anywhere and then back to walking. I am planning the Long Trail and most of the store access is several miles from the trail...several miles to the store, several back...daylight burning, miles lost, limited time off work lost to shopping.

Leo L.
01-29-2016, 11:38
Don't waste your money...

For my last desert hike I did lots of research on solar chargers. It was dissapointing at best.
You will always need a solar charger that includes a battery (usually you're hiking during the daytime, when the sun is up and the solar panel exposed on top of your pack - you will not want to have your precious smartphone always plugged into the charger, thus making it difficult to use and prone to cable/plug defect.
So you end up carrying a solar panel, a battery pack and some cables and electronic box.
If all this stuff is made lightweight, its flimsy and will break just like that.
If everything is made professional style it will be heavy and expensive, and still you can eaysily crack the panel or rip a plug.

There are battery packs that include a small solar panel. Forget about these, this is maybe good for eliminating the self-discharging of the battery, but will not harvest any usable solar power.
A guy I was hiking with had one dangling from his pack - useless stuff.

I ended up carrying a battery pack that got the best review in a serious European computer magazin. (Varta 6000).

BTW, I also did some tests with the Biolite woodburning stove, that claims to be able to charge your phone.
It may be sufficient to charge an old cell phone to a level that you can make a quick call, but to stay realistic, it will not be able to charge a smartphone sufficiently, unless you are willing to stay up and nurse the stove for the whole night.

Gambit McCrae
01-29-2016, 12:19
I just picked up a mophie XL and it is outstanding. 5 stars

Uncle Joe
01-29-2016, 12:21
FWIW, you might make some good friends with the extra capacity. Being able to give someone with you extra capacity would be appreciated.

rafe
01-29-2016, 12:30
If you're the kind of person that lives and dies by your smartphone, yeah, 10,000 mAh makes some sense.

If you use the phone rarely, and with careful power management (like Slo described) you can get by with much less.

External battery packs are pretty cheap nowadays. They all use the same technology.

Casey & Gina
01-29-2016, 13:59
I have a 5W solar panel that works okay. It was cheap but is fairly rigid and does produce a bit of power. I will say that it does not produce much though when you're hiking even affixed to the top of the pack, and it is always a concern as I need to keep it flat and relatively unbent in my pack. It works much better if you take a midday break and have a good period of solid sun exposure. If you have a panel though you will also want a meter to keep track of how much power you're actually getting. Then you have the cables to worry about which can be a hassle. You definitely don't want to try charging devices directly from solar - the only way to use a solar panel and not be utterly frustrated is to use it to trickle charge a power bank.

$25 for the solar panel: http://amzn.com/B00MGJXITI (130.2 grams)
$10 for the USB power meter: http://amzn.com/B013FANC9W (26.7 grams)

So if it doesn't work out it's only a $35 loss and not much extra weight.

Slo-go'en
01-29-2016, 14:10
Solar panels are more practical on western trails where your open to the sun much of the time. On the AT your in the Green tunnel most of the time and don't get much sun.

As an example, I carried a cheap solar powered garden light on the back of my pack staring at Springer in early April. If it was a nice sunny day, the light would stay on most of the night. (Going NOBO, the suns to your back most of the time which helps) On cloudy days, I would be lucky to get a couple of hours out of it. By the time I got to Damascus, it wasn't getting enough sun to even stay on for a hour, due to the foliage.

msoult
01-29-2016, 15:33

From the reviews I've seen in solar panels at least, they don't seem to charge a device well while charging from the sun. Most reviewers say you will need an external batter (Anker, proprietary brand et al). So. With the amount of time between towns, a good stand alone battery should be enough.

Casey & Gina
01-29-2016, 16:36
From the reviews I've seen in solar panels at least, they don't seem to charge a device well while charging from the sun. Most reviewers say you will need an external batter (Anker, proprietary brand et al). So. With the amount of time between towns, a good stand alone battery should be enough.

Yep - the reality is that phones and many other devices will only start charging the battery if receiving a certain baseline amount of power. If it's lower than that, they won't charge. In addition, there are fixed levels of input it can accept. Let's say 1W and 2.1W - if your panel happens to be putting out 1.9W, your device will only be accepting 1.0W and the extra 0.9W will be going to waste. In reality, the sun is moving, clouds are passing, and if the panel is attached to a moving pack things are extremely variable. A smartphone will start charging if plugged in to a solar panel sitting in the sun while it is putting out ample wattage, but let's say it is covered or disturbed for a moment then re-exposed to the sun - most phones will not start charging again unless you then unplug them and plug them back in again. This is completely impossible if you are on the go.

An external battery, however, will accept whatever amount it is given, as intermittent as it may be. External batteries can generally charge and be charged at the same time, so you can have your panel plugged into your battery plugged into your phone, while on the go with intermittent light, have your phone fully charged, and your battery less drained than it would otherwise be. If you barely use your device(s) and keep them turned off most of the time, the solar panel will provide plenty of power and keep your backup battery full, but if you are using your gadgets and rechargeable batteries all the time, it won't work out so well. Either way, carry a small USB wall plug to fully recharge your battery and other stuff when you do go into town. Solar can be a helpful supplement, but it is difficult to rely exclusively on as conditions are unpredictable.

JumpMaster Blaster
01-29-2016, 19:37
I will be carrying my i phone 6s and kindle paperwhite with me while hiking springer to HF this coming April....I've been researching how to keep my devices charged in between my trail town stops...I'm looking at the Anker Powercore 20100mAh power bank. Does anyone have experience with this item; or any recommendations on a better device....something that works better or is a little lighter? Thanks....

I have the Powercore 20100. I like it but have yet to take it out on an extended hike. It's a beast at 12 oz and may be overkill for you. I would suggest practicing good power management unless you're oaky with luggin it along. Also, it won't charge your device while IT'S being charged.

shelb
01-29-2016, 19:45
..... There is ample time to read most days, unless you are really striving for big miles and hiking from the moment you wake up until setting up camp and going straight to bed (which I doubt most bodies can endure for too long).....

While I am only a section hiker, I have found I read about 1 book every 7-10 days on the trail. I like to wind down spending an hour or two reading each evening - sometimes more on a light day; however, I love to read!

Huli
01-29-2016, 19:47
I am still torn between a battery pack and a panel. I am considering this gizmo because it will charge my headlamp batteries as well as my camera.

Goal Zero 41022 Guide 10 Plus Solar Recharging Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DD6B9IK/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_rM.QwbZ583C6J

Casey & Gina
01-29-2016, 20:35
I am still torn between a battery pack and a panel. I am considering this gizmo because it will charge my headlamp batteries as well as my camera.

Goal Zero 41022 Guide 10 Plus Solar Recharging Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DD6B9IK/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_rM.QwbZ583C6J

I got this to use with my battery for recharging headlamp batteries:
http://amzn.com/B00PZ6V99U

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2016, 20:49

CLEARLY YOU DO NOT OWN A GOOD ONE. That being said - I understand... There are light large panels that can charge a phone in two hours. The Military use them,,,, So do I.

msoult
01-30-2016, 01:36
And which is that ??

Huli
01-31-2016, 09:41
CLEARLY YOU DO NOT OWN A GOOD ONE. That being said - I understand... There are light large panels that can charge a phone in two hours. The Military use them,,,, So do I.

Please, don't leave us hanging. What do you use?

Puddlefish
01-31-2016, 09:47
Please, don't leave us hanging. What do you use?

If he told us, he'd have to kill us.

colorado_rob
01-31-2016, 10:48
If he told us, he'd have to kill us.No, if he told us he'd have to admit that the model he's referring to is not "light". There is no way a reasonably light (well less than a pound) solar charger will do the job on the AT. Perhaps on the PCT. I tried a small light one (8 ounces) here in sunny Colorado for my phone. No-go. A one-pound panel would probably work (here in CO).

"military grade" stuff is limited by the same laws of physics as "civilian" stuff. Don't waste your money or time.

I say "well less than a pound" being light for a solar panel because as already stated many times, you can get good external battery chargers for 8-9 ounces that will charge a phone many times. I think the sweet spot for on-trail phone charging is about 10,000 mAH, good for 3 full charges (assuming some efficiency losses). 20,000 mAH is overkill and too heavy. All only in my opinion, of course (except the laws of physics thing about "light" solar panels).

Puddlefish
01-31-2016, 10:50
No, if he told us he'd have to admit that the model he's referring to is not "light". There is no way a reasonably light (well less than a pound) solar charger will do the job on the AT. Perhaps on the PCT. I tried a small light one (8 ounces) here in sunny Colorado for my phone. No-go. A one-pound panel would probably work (here in CO).

"military grade" stuff is limited by the same laws of physics as "civilian" stuff. Don't waste your money or time.

I say "well less than a pound" being light for a solar panel because as already stated many times, you can get good external battery chargers for 8-9 ounces that will charge a phone many times. I think the sweet spot for on-trail phone charging is about 10,000 mAH, good for 3 full charges (assuming some efficiency losses). 20,000 mAH is overkill and too heavy. All only in my opinion, of course (except the laws of physics thing about "light" solar panels).

Agreed. My actual thought was that he was doing a hasty web search to find something that met those requirements, and that he failed to, and that's why there will be no link forthcoming. But, I decided to go the humor route instead.

Christoph
01-31-2016, 11:22
My experience with "military grade" stuff is it usually weighs 40 pounds more than anything else and doesn't work as well as one bought from Amazon/Walmart/etc... Lol

capehiker
01-31-2016, 11:55
After 23 years in the military, "military grade" is often an oxymoron and emits a chuckle. It's like when soap companies say their herbs are a "secret Swiss formula", it makes us think it's better than the stuff sold at Walgreens but really isn't.

I'll also agree that a 20,000mAh is a little too much. 10,000 is about good for your phone and Kindle. I have a 6S as well and when in airplane mode and using it for pics and vid, I use about 50%-60% power each day. With 4 full charges this gives me enough power until my next resupply/town stop.

Greenmountainguy
08-26-2017, 21:44
I gave up on the Sierra Stove. I am going with a canister.
Solar chargers: I am informed are worthless in the northeast where canopy/tree cover is common and so is cloud cover. Reliable and experienced informants told me to give it up.
I would still like to find one of the units I saw that permits a purchased disposable battery to be used to recharge a phone. I have not seen them in years however.

blw2
08-27-2017, 06:13
I googled "usb alkaline battery pack" and found this
https://www.amazon.com/Rayovac-Charger-Batteries-Included-PS73-4B/dp/B00D2ZQ6ZI

Not too long ago, one of my kids had one of those "usefull hack" youtube videos up and they were showing how to make one that was powered with a 9 volt battery

blw2
08-27-2017, 06:22
I'll add this to the discussion of the solar options.
I bought one of the panels by anker several years ago. Used it at Boy Scout summer camp 2 years ago for the 1st and only time so far.... well I tried to use it.
I was stationary in "base camp", trying to charge my anker battery pack. It was a bit shady around, but I spent the time when actually sitting around camp trying to chase the sun with it. I found a stump that got full sun for a couple hours every day, then I had to move around to other bright but speckled shade areas.
Well I could barely get any charge at all that way. I finally just gave up.

I'd guess to be useful, you really have to have full uninterrupted sun
and you'd likely have to point the thing right at the sun angle...not just laying flat on the ground. Maybe ok hanging on a pack in the desert with full sun ALL day.....
I keep mine, not for backpacking really...but more as a "disaster prep" option.

Slo-go'en
08-27-2017, 14:54
....duplicate post

Slo-go'en
08-27-2017, 15:00
I would still like to find one of the units I saw that permits a purchased disposable battery to be used to recharge a phone. I have not seen them in years however.

Not worth it. They eat AA batteries like crazy. Might be handy if you can't get to mains power for weeks, but then you'd better have a big stash of AA's available.

Not too long ago, one of my kids had one of those "usefull hack" youtube videos up and they were showing how to make one that was powered with a 9 volt battery

9V batteries have a low mAh rating and are expensive. Definitely not worth the effort to use one of those.

The Solemates
08-27-2017, 16:45
We have the Anker 10000 and love it. Works great. It's ridiculously heavy but we like to take videos which drains your phone battery. That and temperature.