PDA

View Full Version : inflatable sleeping pads in AT shelters...

robby
01-28-2016, 12:54
howdy folks!
when setting up your sleep gear in an AT shelter, do you believe it necessary to put down some sort of tarp under an inflatable air pad (my current one is a neoair trekker)? You know, for protection from puncture. Don't know anything about the floors themselves...
thanks,
robby
(starting NOBO from springer approach trail april 26)

colorado_rob
01-28-2016, 13:00
I always do. I use my tent groundsheet, doubled over. Why not, it can't hurt. also keeps the pad cleaner.

johnnybgood
01-28-2016, 13:06
A piece of Tyvek will work. Shelter floors are bacteria ridden so you need something that wipes clean.

robby
01-28-2016, 13:07
thanks for the reply!
i wasn't gonna bring a separate groundsheet for my zpacks duplex tent. i'm planning on tenting more than sheltering (i know they all say that, but it sure seems like the shelters are pretty infested lately, with mice and thru-hikers, and this will be late-ish in the season). mainly just wondering if i should carry a groundsheet solely for that purpose...

robby
01-28-2016, 13:08
yeah - maybe a piece of tyvek sounds worthwhile...

bigcranky
01-28-2016, 13:41
I bring a small separate groundsheet anyway. It's useful for putting on the wet ground when I want to sit down for a break, and for laying out my gear (on the wet ground) in the morning when packing up. Mine is a Gossamer Gear polycro sheet that weighs maybe 2 ounces, and I cut it in half and gave the other half to my wife for the same purposes. It feels like tissue paper but lasts a surprisingly long time -- been using the same one for at least five years now.

tarditi
01-28-2016, 13:47
yeah - there always seems to be grit/gravel, etc. on the floors - why not keep as much of it off the air mattress as you can?

hooshr
01-28-2016, 14:00
I use my tyvek tent footprint

colorado_rob
01-28-2016, 14:06
... Mine is a Gossamer Gear polycro sheet that weighs maybe 2 ounces...That's my groundsheet as well. Half the weight of Tyvek.

Nooga
01-28-2016, 14:25
A ground sheet is also helpful when using an inflatable mattress in some hostels which do not have mattresses, such as The Place in Damascus.

Slo-go'en
01-28-2016, 14:59
Shelters have wood plank floors which have been polished smooth by countless people using them. A long time ago the shelters in the Smokies had layer upon layer of chicken wire fence for bunks and those you had to be real careful of not to snag something on. Thankfully, those wire bunks are history.

Shelters also typically have a broom available to sweep out the dirt (unless some idiot used it for fire wood). If I use a shelter, I rarely laydown a ground cloth. The exception might be if there are cracks between the planks and air blows up from underneath or there is no broom and the floor is all muddy from people stomping around with their boots on.

daddytwosticks
01-28-2016, 17:45
Funny, at the beginning of a hike, I'll use a ground cloth in a shelter. After several days of sleeping in a shelter, I just embrace the dirt/filth and skip the ground cloth. Guess I get used to the funk. :)

MuddyWaters
01-28-2016, 19:11
Mice are completely incontinent.

And they arent the only ones known to piss in shelters either....

BillyGr
01-28-2016, 20:36
Shelters also typically have a broom available to sweep out the dirt (unless some idiot used it for fire wood).

The question is, does anyone ever use them?
Saying this since when we've used the shelters with the Scouts (usually those extra large ones in MA so not filling them or anything) we naturally have them sweep the whole thing out before leaving and it just about always seems that that produces more dirt than one night's use would cause (thus leaving one wondering when the last time was someone did that).

johnnybgood
01-28-2016, 22:08
The question is, does anyone ever use them?
Saying this since when we've used the shelters with the Scouts (usually those extra large ones in MA so not filling them or anything) we naturally have them sweep the whole thing out before leaving and it just about always seems that that produces more dirt than one night's use would cause (thus leaving one wondering when the last time was someone did that).

Sweeping dirt doesn't do anything but improve the appearance. Only a bleach based wipe can really clean.

Christoph
01-29-2016, 00:55
Most shelters have a broom that I ran across. The 1st one there usually sweeps a little bit. Air mattresses are pretty tough and you're hiking/camping, things are going to get dirty. Most shelters are pretty worn smooth over the years, I wouldn't/didn't worry about it.

pauly_j
01-29-2016, 05:20
I plan on using my Tyvek footprint if I happen to stay in a shelter. I have the same pad as you too. The bottom is pretty heavy duty compared to the pads most people use (like x lites etc.) so maybe not so much to worry about? It's a really sturdy sleeping pad. That's the main reason I settled on it.

rafe
01-29-2016, 05:57
when setting up your sleep gear in an AT shelter, do you believe it necessary to put down some sort of tarp under an inflatable air pad (my current one is a neoair trekker)? You know, for protection from puncture. Don't know anything about the floors themselves...

I never bothered. But that's just me. I can see why others might want to.

Christoph
01-29-2016, 11:03
I'd worry more about the mice gnawing through than getting a puncture in a shelter. Bring some traps instead. Haha

MamaBear
01-29-2016, 13:29
I have a Neoair Trekker and it has survived the Long Trail, a 130 mile AT section hike and the entire Appalachian Trail without putting something underneath when I stayed in shelters. My son's has done well, too, and he was with me for the LT and section. Let's put it this way, 12 and 13 year old boys aren't the most conscious of where they put their gear down.

I've always thought it was a good idea, just could never get a hold of a piece of Tyvek large enough. I suppose if I had a sleeping pad made of thinner material, I'd make more of an effort, but the Trekker is pretty tough. I never used a footprint with my tent, either, but if I had a footprint, I'd use it in the event of a shelter stay under my sleeping pad. That's what a lot of people do so that they don't carry one more item. The footprint is double use.

Dogwood
01-29-2016, 15:19
Check for nails, splinters, staples(YEAH!), metal, glass, sharp pebbles, pointed twigs, crap stuck between floorboard joints(pens, pull tabs, wire, tin), etc first regardless of where you pick to sleep if you are intend using an inflatable pad. A groundcloth helps to protect from punctures but is no substitute for complacently not checking for these things. If you're using light wt/UL gear know what you're getting into and the TLC required preferably before you buy.

Dogwood
01-29-2016, 15:23
Not to worry. Throw you inflatable down wherever you want. I'll be selling patch kits and offer a fix a flat while you wait service at mile 150. :D

Cuacoatchoo
01-29-2016, 15:47
A ground sheet is generally considered good practice. As is a patch kit if you use an inflatable.

If it means any thing to you. Andy Skurka is a pretty reputable backpacking celebrity. He hiked coast to coast with a 6lb pack and even he carried a groundsheet.
http://andrewskurka.com/2014/backpack-hunting-gear-list-colorado-big-game-early-fall/#sleeping-shelter

Plenty of people including myself don't use one and it's not a big deal. If I had access to some Tyvek though I'd probably carry it.

RockDoc
01-29-2016, 15:50
Tent tyvek footprint ground cloth, widened by sewing on a few rows of tyvek running event bibs. Adds some color.

Sandy of PA
01-29-2016, 20:08
I built my rain skirt slightly bigger than my pad and use it. The draw string is long enough to allow it to lay flat and Velcro opens all the way down the front.

CarlZ993
01-29-2016, 22:51
I used a ground sheet for my pad in shelters (Zpacks). I was really careful with my NeoAir Xlite. Never got a leak. YMMV.

English Stu
01-31-2016, 06:22
I mostly avoid the shelters but was told to avoid sweeping them as the dust created is toxic from mice and funk.

Singletrack
01-31-2016, 06:56
I was also told by a Shelter maintainer, that they no longer put brooms in shelters, because it stirs up the dust from toxic mice poop. Best to stay in a tent.

MuddyWaters
01-31-2016, 11:00
Most shelters have brooms
Without sweeping them, they are really filthy.
When theres no broom, use the shelter journal to sweep.