PDA

View Full Version : Diabetic completes 200th mile section hiking!

Nate
12-14-2005, 23:49
"I've section hiked all over the mountains of Eastern Tennessee, Western North Carolina, and some in South-West Virgina. I am a Type 1 Diabetic, someone who is discouraged from doing anything freely and indipendently, like hiking (especally frowning upon people like me...I hike alone). I am currently using a Insulin Pump, this lets me travel more efficiently, posing less restrictions upon myself. When I was 15yrs old I was diagnosed, at this young age I thought my life was over, but I have proved this theory wrong. Recently I improved myself to nearly 200 miles upon the AT and December 29 I will reach my 200 mile marker, a milestone upon my behalf."
"To anyone who feels that any thing health-wise can stop them... Oh Please Shut-up! I'm doing what I love and nothing will stop me. Its funny, I realized this at 18yrs old, alone, freezing, peacefully walking in the woods."

Nate 12-14-2005
:sun
P.S. Reply for tips and thoughts.

bfitz
12-15-2005, 04:08
18, just finishing high-school mabye? Thinking of a thru-hike this summer?

Hana_Hanger
12-15-2005, 04:14
Congrats Nate!!
Very encouraging for me to see this. Diabetes is just one of my many ills...and I too have just taken up camping ALONE. w\
Walking the trails...not a true hike. Due to my limitations it takes me one hour to do what others do in 15 minutes. I too am loving it, and go for it now...no matter what others think or say.
Looking forward to reading more on your adventures.

neo
12-15-2005, 08:27
congrats nate
i have hiked 1704 miles of THE AT from 2001 to 2005,i was dx with diabetes
2 weeks ago,i started using insulin last friday,happy trails to ya nate:cool: neo

Doctari
12-15-2005, 10:14
WOW!!!
Nate, that is one of the best posts I have seen in some time!

Thanks for the words of wisdom & encoragement.

Like bfitz, I also want to know: Are you planning on doing a thru in the (near) future?

Doctari.

kmackison
12-15-2005, 10:34
Congratulations. I love when people have such positive attitudes about life...and don't let anything stop them. That's awesome. Ever thought about thru hiking?

Just Jeff
12-15-2005, 11:02
Awesome, Nate. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with it...sounds like you've got the right attitude.

Hana, why is walking the trails not a true hike? If you're in the woods with a pack, I call it a hike no matter how fast you're moving!

bfitz
12-15-2005, 16:24
Awesome, Nate. Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% what you do with it...sounds like you've got the right attitude.

Hana, why is walking the trails not a true hike? If you're in the woods with a pack, I call it a hike no matter how fast you're moving!
What he said.

betic4lyf
12-15-2005, 20:56
I was wondering, what is it like to hike with a pump? does it feel weird to have the canula inside of you?

neo
12-15-2005, 21:17
I was wondering, what is it like to hike with a pump? does it feel weird to have the canula inside of you?

i think i will stick with the one shot of time released insulin a day lol:cool: neo

Big Dawg
12-16-2005, 08:27
Bravo, Nate!! Hike on......... you deserve a... :banana

justusryans
12-16-2005, 08:39
I don't think Nates like that!! :D