PDA

View Full Version : Rubber tips on treking poles

Woodturner
01-28-2016, 15:33
Does anyone have ay tricks to ensure that rubber tips on trekking poles stay put? I like having them because it eliminates collecting leaves on the end and makes using them on paved surfaces a little less noisy. I tried wood glue, but that didn't work at all. I'm considering doing some drilling. I do want to be able to remove them when they wear out on the tip.

TexasBob
01-28-2016, 15:45
try some silicone adhesive or sealant

DuneElliot
01-28-2016, 15:47
Rubber cement or epoxy...but you'd never get them off.

Cotton Terry
01-28-2016, 16:40
I have the Black Diamond Trail Pro trekking poles. The rubber tips are on very snug and I've had no problem with them coming off. I would caution you from gluing them on, though, because you'll want to take them off when you need extra traction in snow and mud. My suggestion is to take your poles to a hardware store and find some rubber tips that fit.

Christoph
01-28-2016, 16:43
RTV or a general silicone adhesive might hold em on pretty well and you could still get them off fairly easy.

gbolt
01-28-2016, 19:35
I have Leki Tips on Leki poles and have yet for them to slide off. Sometimes they are hard to even twist. Not sure if using the same company rather than generic or mixed products makes a difference. I would suggest just a spot of hand detergent with a drop of water and work the tip on and off but not totally removing it. More to move air and create suction. Slide all the way down and then heat with a hair dryer to help evaporate moisture and then cool with an ice bag to harden the rubber tip. I myself would resist glues unless I was sure I can reverse the process and get them off. P.S. I only use rubber tips because I hike with occasional pavement area's. When I do my thru or more than a four day hike, they will come off.

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 20:53
My limited experience shows that a doubled piece of duck (aka duct) tape works...mostly.

iAmKrzys
01-28-2016, 22:13
I created a little ridge by wrapping a piece of phone wire around the pole an putting a bit of electrical tape over it. With this solution the rubber tips tend to stay put, but I can still take them off and put snow baskets on when I go snowshoeing.

kibs
01-28-2016, 22:46
RTV or a general silicone adhesive might hold em on pretty well and you could still get them off fairly easy.
Try Silicone with a zip strip tightly around the top of the rubber tip.

Angle
01-28-2016, 22:49
I have Leki poles and Leki rubber tips but still lost several pairs until I used JB Weld. I had at least 1,200 miles on them until one came off in the mud in Maine this fall. The rubber tips were just about worn out anyway so plan on getting new ones on the next trip to REI. Iceman

Traveler
01-30-2016, 15:46
My hiking buddy puts the tips on, then drills a small hole through the tip and secure with light aircraft safety wire.

Woodturner
01-30-2016, 19:07
My hiking buddy puts the tips on, then drills a small hole through the tip and secure with light aircraft safety wire.

I thought about doing something similar. However, I few days ago I tried one of the first suggestions and used rubber cement. I had some handy anyway.
It seems to have done the job. The tips are more secure than they were - I wasn't able to remove them with about tens times the force that they came off with before the glue. A 6+ mile hike in a nearby State Park today that included some really mucky sections of trail had no effect on them either. Before, I would have expected them to be pulled off when they went down in the mud.