PDA

View Full Version : Trail Cookin'

gmag32
01-28-2016, 17:43
First real post! So for the past two years of weekenders/section hikes i've used an MSR pocket rocket with a Snow Peak trek 700 as my kitchen. One of my go to meals has been a chicken pasta side with a chicken packet added after cooking the noodles. Cleanup has proven to be a serious pain with the pot not being nonstick. Since packet requires being boiled for 6 or so minutes, I keep it in the pot. I'm looking for some advice on cooking methods/tricks of the trade. (or should I switch the pot to nonstick) Thanks in advance.

-Greg

lonehiker
01-28-2016, 18:04
Freezer bag cooking solves this issue.

lonehiker
01-28-2016, 18:06
I should add, you simply have to put zip-lock bag (or whatever bag you use) in some sort of insulated cozy and allow to "cook" for 20-25 minutes. I personally use those flimsy bread/storage bags instead of the heavier and more costly zip-lock bags.

egilbe
01-28-2016, 18:22
You shouldnt be cooking with a pocket rocket. Boil your water, let the noodles soak in it. Put it in a cozy. After you cant wait any longer, eat your meal. When you are done eating, pour some water in the pot. Use your fingers to clean the stuff out of the pot. Drink the water/food mixture. Use more water to clean it out and drink that and call it good until morning. The problem is you are trying to cook with a blow torch.

gmag32
01-28-2016, 19:00
Thanks for the advice lonehiker and egilbe. I figured it would be something along those lines. A DIY cozy is on the to do list.

Much appreciated,
Greg

Slosteppin
01-28-2016, 20:52
I dehydrate my own meals for backpacking but the general application should work the same. Instead of re-hydrating in the Ziploc freezer bag I use a double layer Snowpeak 450 cup. I put the dehydrated food in the cup, pour in boiling water, cover and wait 15 to 20 minutes. Open and enjoy very hot soup.
With the double layer cup I don't have to use a cosy. I use the same cleaning method as egibe. I switched methods because I don't like to carry out wet with food I couldn't scrape out. The dry bags are lighter to carry out and can be reused easily.

Greenmountainguy
01-28-2016, 21:10
One of my go to meals has been a chicken pasta side with a chicken packet added after cooking the noodles. Cleanup has proven to be a serious pain with the pot not being nonstick. Since packet requires being boiled for 6 or so minutes, I keep it in the pot. I'm looking for some advice on cooking methods/tricks of the trade. (or should I switch the pot to nonstick) Thanks in advance.

Baking bags are said to be great, although I have not yet tried them. There are many sites with extensive instruction. Ways to save money too.

zelph
01-30-2016, 11:46
First real post! So for the past two years of weekenders/section hikes i've used an MSR pocket rocket with a Snow Peak trek 700 as my kitchen. One of my go to meals has been a chicken pasta side with a chicken packet added after cooking the noodles. Cleanup has proven to be a serious pain with the pot not being nonstick. Since packet requires being boiled for 6 or so minutes, I keep it in the pot. I'm looking for some advice on cooking methods/tricks of the trade. (or should I switch the pot to nonstick) Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Yes, get a non stick pot and use an alcohol stove with the capability of simmering to get your noodles cooked

al den·te
äl ˈdentā,al/
adjective & adverb
adjective: al dente; adverb: al dente
(of food, typically pasta) cooked so as to be still firm when bitten

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qbu4Aw45ow

gmag32
02-04-2016, 23:05
simmer ring looks like it may be the ticket for continuous cooking. i have considered testing out an alcohol stove setup

NoSew
02-04-2016, 23:19
I use a MSR Pocket rocket. Just bring the water to a boil, turn off stove, add pasta/rice side, let sit ~10 minutes, then add stuffing mix/mashed potatoes to soak up liquid and add calories, or add anything else if desired. When done eating, use you new GSI scraper to clean!! Easy.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582/ultralight-backpacking-pot-cozy/

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/compact-scraper.html

This is my system and I love it!! Let me know if you have any questions

bemental
02-05-2016, 13:15
I use a MSR Pocket rocket. Just bring the water to a boil, turn off stove, add pasta/rice side, let sit ~10 minutes, then add stuffing mix/mashed potatoes to soak up liquid and add calories, or add anything else if desired. When done eating, use you new GSI scraper to clean!! Easy.

http://blackwoodspress.com/blog/6582/ultralight-backpacking-pot-cozy/

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/compact-scraper.html

This is my system and I love it!! Let me know if you have any questions

Longest ten minutes of my life.

squeezebox
02-05-2016, 14:19
Any advice on a good trail cooking cookbook? And maybe dehydrated food book as well.

Vegan Packer
02-05-2016, 16:15
Any advice on a good trail cooking cookbook? And maybe dehydrated food book as well.
I haven't found a perfect book that has everything in it. I ended out getting a few different books. Being vegan also narrows my choices. I dehydrate, and I do freezer bag cooking.

Another Fork in the Trail--lots of good ideas, and goes beyond the ordinary bland recipes that just fill you up.
Lipsmackin' Vegetarian Backpackin'--some more good recipes
Trail Food--has a good section on dehydrating