PDA

View Full Version : Compression sack sizes?

SubSquid
01-28-2016, 22:03
First off I am new to backpacking so any and all help is awesom and appreciated. Is there a good size compression sack to start off with for clothes, random gear, and food. Or just buy a few different sizes and do trial by error? Thank you.

Pajj
01-28-2016, 22:09
I use a 20 liter compression sack for my sleeping bag, and just use waterproof stuff sacks for my clothes. regular stuff sack for my tent and ziplocked first aid/toiletries plus another ziplock baggy with electronics inside a larg heavy duty food saver ziplock that can fit all other random gear if need be. I could probably just use a gallon sized ziplock bag as a pack liner but I find this works for me.
A lot of people don't like using compression sacks for their sleeping bags especially for down bags because of their weight and also of how much they compress the down. I have a synthetic sleeping bag so its not as much of a problem.

4eyedbuzzard
01-28-2016, 22:18
Most people don't use compression sacks, just a few regular stuff sacks (some use none at all) to separate food, clothing, first aid/medical, etc. Many line their packs with a trash compactor or other waterproof plastic bag to address the moisture/rain issue. It helps that stuff sacks do not wind up stuffed full so they can spread out and fill the voids in a pack. Many don't stuff their sleeping bag in a stuff sack either, they just stuff it into the bottom of the pack. It's a little less compressed which is better for a sleeping bag anyway. This way you also better utilize the entire pack and don't waste space (fills the nooks and crannies). The problem with compression sacks is that you wind up with big hard lumps that don't fill the space well in pack. It's like trying to pack three or four big balls, they don't fit together well.

SubSquid
01-28-2016, 22:28
It's like trying to pack three or four big balls, they don't fit together well.
I haven't looked at it like that.

Christoph
01-29-2016, 00:50
I just used the Walmart nylon bags you can find in the camping section. I used red for medical/cleaning, green as my cooking bag (Pocket rocket/canister/spork/mess kit), and my sleeping bag fit in the black bag. They weren't very expensive (I think 20 bucks?) but helped me keep things organized. Used a small (rope handle style) bag for my food bag. Not sure on sizes but they're all at Wally World. That's what worked for me anyway.

HogFan
01-29-2016, 10:40
I just used the Walmart nylon bags you can find in the camping section. I used red for medical/cleaning, green as my cooking bag (Pocket rocket/canister/spork/mess kit), and my sleeping bag fit in the black bag. They weren't very expensive (I think 20 bucks?) but helped me keep things organized. Used a small (rope handle style) bag for my food bag. Not sure on sizes but they're all at Wally World. That's what worked for me anyway.

Same here.
I bought two of the 3 pack of diddy bags and they were like $14 each?
They work just fine and are much more affordable than what you'll find at most other places.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2016, 10:46
These are the walmart bags a lot of us use http://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Recreation-Group-Set-of-3-Ultimate-Dry-Sacks/10928125

Christoph
01-29-2016, 11:00
Same here.
I bought two of the 3 pack of diddy bags and they were like $14 each?
They work just fine and are much more affordable than what you'll find at most other places.

Yep, those were the ones. If anything, they kept all my stuff separated instead of searching though my pack looking for a certain item. I'll use 'em again on my next thru attempt.

colorado_rob
01-29-2016, 11:03
Most people don't use compression sacks, just a few regular stuff sacks (some use none at all) to separate food, clothing, first aid/medical, etc. Many line their packs with a trash compactor or other waterproof plastic bag to address the moisture/rain issue. It helps that stuff sacks do not wind up stuffed full so they can spread out and fill the voids in a pack. Many don't stuff their sleeping bag in a stuff sack either, they just stuff it into the bottom of the pack. It's a little less compressed which is better for a sleeping bag anyway. This way you also better utilize the entire pack and don't waste space (fills the nooks and crannies). The problem with compression sacks is that you wind up with big hard lumps that don't fill the space well in pack. It's like trying to pack three or four big balls, they don't fit together well.Yeah, all this. (I do carry 2-3 small/medium UL sacks, none of them compressions, anywhere from 0.3 to 0.7 ounces each for organization. Plus a 2-ounce food bag).

pauly_j
01-29-2016, 11:28
I love having my gear separated into compartments. I'm a bit OCD so I like the organisation.

I use a 20 ltr Event sea to summit bag for my sleeping bag or quilt, a 14 ltr sea to summit dry bag for my pot, food and smellies, a 14ltr sea to summit dry bag for carried clothing, and a fleece-lined thermarest stuff sack for sleeping pad, liner, and sleeping clothes (it doubles up as a pillow).

If I need something I know exactly where it is. If I'm cooking I just get out the one bag and I'm ready to go. When I get in my tent I can chuck in the two bags and I'm ready to go. I feel like it makes my life a lot easier.

People always talk about how compression bags are not good as you're filling your pack with awkward bowling balls. I don't find that problem, as I roll the Event bag to the width of my pack and it fits perfectly in the bottom of it. Because Event is breathable, it naturally compresses as if it wasn't in a bag at all. With the other dry bags, I pack them with the tops unsealed then roll and clip once they're in the bag.

DuneElliot
01-29-2016, 12:29
I, too, use the sacks from Walmart. I use some stuff sacks and some drybags, depending on the need. I also use a trash compactor bag to line my pack.

I use the green stuff sack for my cook pot, stove, cozy, lighters and food-bag hanging cord. It keeps it all contained. I use one dry bag for clothes and the other for my FA kit. TP is in a ziploc. I haven't decided whether I'm going to use my waterproof roll-top drybag for food or not, just because I have it but it is heavier than I would like. It may get relegated to the horse-packing pile for my sleeping bag.

Puddlefish
01-29-2016, 12:56
I can just manage to fit all my gear in the pack when the sleeping bag is loose. If I needed more space, I'd use a compression bag.

-A pack liner made of a compactor bag, the main water defense (also used to inflate my air mattress.
-No bag for the sleeping bag.
-My clothes are in a homemade thin nylon stuff sack, that's slightly oversized and due to the thin material, it's flexible enough to squish into oddly shaped spaces. About 4 or 5 liters, cheap, and just has to keep some items near each other.
-Three cheap small bags, different colors to easily find first aid/survival kit, trowel kit, and non critical small items.
- My cookset fits inside the cozy I made for re-hydration cooking.

I just can't justify paying high tech prices for a low tech use. Especially with the smallest sacks, where the total weight reward is tiny.

RangerZ
01-29-2016, 13:03
I love having my gear separated into compartments. I'm a bit OCD so I like the organisation.

I use a 20 ltr Event sea to summit bag for my sleeping bag or quilt, a 14 ltr sea to summit dry bag for my pot, food and smellies, a 14ltr sea to summit dry bag for carried clothing, and a fleece-lined thermarest stuff sack for sleeping pad, liner, and sleeping clothes (it doubles up as a pillow).

If I need something I know exactly where it is. If I'm cooking I just get out the one bag and I'm ready to go. When I get in my tent I can chuck in the two bags and I'm ready to go. I feel like it makes my life a lot easier.

People always talk about how compression bags are not good as you're filling your pack with awkward bowling balls. I don't find that problem, as I roll the Event bag to the width of my pack and it fits perfectly in the bottom of it. Because Event is breathable, it naturally compresses as if it wasn't in a bag at all. With the other dry bags, I pack them with the tops unsealed then roll and clip once they're in the bag.

+1 on this. Some people think that there is something wrong with being compulsive. The rest of us know its okay. Organization, everything in the same place all the time, works for me. I also carry things dummy corded to me or my pack so as not to lose them.

HDLV
01-29-2016, 13:29
I line my bag with a compactor bag, stuff my sleeping bag blow up pillow and inflatable pad to the bottom of my pack all inside my bivy, use the stuff sack the sleeping bag came in(a medium zpacks roll top) for clothes, another roll top for food, I have a pocket on my bag that fits my cook set perfectly (all components stored in pot) so no stuff sack for that, first aid and repair kits are in zip lock sandwich bags and are stuffed in the opposite pocket to my CK along with my sawyer squeeze which is wrapped by its dirty bag and stuffed in a cut in half smartwater bottle, electronics in a freezer bag and little things that I may need right away like headlamp blister cream(works well as Chapstick)ect. are all in a hip belt pocket. I keep my tarp and rain gear in the big outside mesh pocket for quick access.

So only two stuff sacks.

burger
01-29-2016, 14:49
As mentioned above, compression bags are a bad idea and shouldn't be in anyone's pack.

I have a pretty small/light kit. Sleeping bag goes loose (though stuffed down) in the bottom of the pack. I always bring a small ditty bag for small stuff like keys, compass, matches, phone, headlamp, tiny knife, etc. I have a large stuff sack that I use for clothes and as a pillow at night. I never stuff this bag full--if it's getting full, I take a few items out and put them loose in my pack. A very full stuff sack, even if it's not a compression sack, makes it hard to use all the space in your pack efficiently.

When buying stuff sacks, get big ones that you can pack loosely in your pack.

Casey & Gina
01-29-2016, 18:13
As mentioned above, compression bags are a bad idea and shouldn't be in anyone's pack.

Nonsense - you may not like them but to say they don't belong in anyone's pack is ridiculous.

There is a place for them but they are not for everything. Dry compression sacks (we use Sea-to-Summit eVent ones) are great for your sleeping bag. They are great for spare articles of clothing. That's about it. Nothing else needs to be compressed. Our sleeping bag is huge and I could not fit it into my pack reasonably without a compression sack. But once I get it stuck in to the sleeping bag compartment, I loosen the straps on the compression sack to allow it to expand and fill the compartment and not keep the down as tightly compressed.

Food certainly doesn't belong in a compression sack, but I do like keeping ours in a dry bag (non-compression). Likewise we have a very small dry bag for electronics, and toilet paper is nicest when not soggy. I use lots of small stuff sacks that are neither dry bags nor compression just for organization. I prefer to use the smallest size appropriate for the contents, big sloppy ones are my least favorite and end up getting left behind in the spare gear bin.

SubSquid
01-29-2016, 20:22
First off thanks to everyone. I didn't know to just shove the sleeping bag in the pack, I was under the impression I should put it in the compression sack it came with and since it down as tight as I could get it and just make sure I get it out every night to let it re-fluff. I did forget the use of ziplock bags but that is definitely going to be used, but do you take a few extra for if they rip? I am known for opening them and the zipper part ripping. And I am on the OCD side of being organized so I am going to try the Walmart bags. The other thing was I would like the waterproofing or water resistance to keep my clothes and things dry.

Casey & Gina
01-29-2016, 20:37
First off thanks to everyone. I didn't know to just shove the sleeping bag in the pack, I was under the impression I should put it in the compression sack it came with and since it down as tight as I could get it and just make sure I get it out every night to let it re-fluff. I did forget the use of ziplock bags but that is definitely going to be used, but do you take a few extra for if they rip? I am known for opening them and the zipper part ripping. And I am on the OCD side of being organized so I am going to try the Walmart bags. The other thing was I would like the waterproofing or water resistance to keep my clothes and things dry.

That's not a compression strap that it came with - that's just a regular stuff sack. It is neither waterproof (a "dry bag"), nor a compression sack. Compression straps have straps that you pull to tighten the contents down even further after the contents are stuffed inside. Dry compression sacks have a waterproof roll top and breathable fabric on one end to allow air to escape as the straps are tightened, but will not let water in even if submerged.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2016, 20:45
As above, there are "stuff sacks", and "Compression sacks", and they are different animals.

Here's a dry type compression sack http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-event-compression-dry-sack?CMP_SKU=STS000E&MER=0406&skid=STS000E-GRE-XXS&CMP_ID=PLA_GOc001&mv_pc=r101&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PLA&mr:trackingCode=BF924425-259F-E311-9C6B-BC305BF82376&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=c&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=89620503997&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=aud-112578408019:pla-92795640037&mr:ploc=9027276&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=92795640037&gclid=CjwKEAiAuKy1BRCY5bTuvPeopXcSJAAq4OVsSGcOPRmw uC-VfRTPBtyA7n-VexzG1FeEREKb_5lgIRoCR53w_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Here's a roll top type dry sack http://www.backcountry.com/sea-to-summit-ultra-sil-dry-sack?skid=STS0121-OR-S35L&ti=UExQIENhdDpTdHVmZiAmIENvbXByZXNzaW9uIFNhY2tzOjE 6MTpiY3NDYXQ3MTEwMDAzNg==

Note the straps that further compress the contents with a compression sack

Here's just a plain stuff sack http://www.backcountry.com/outdoor-research-durable-stuff-sack?skid=ODR1078-BK-S15L&ti=UExQIENhdDpTdHVmZiAmIENvbXByZXNzaW9uIFNhY2tzOjE 6ODpiY3NDYXQ3MTEwMDAzNg==

SubSquid
01-29-2016, 20:58
My sleeping bag came with both a mesh stuff sack with a draw string and a compression sack with the cinch straps. So should I use the stuff sack to pack my sleeping bag in my backpack or just not use any type of sack?

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2016, 21:15
My sleeping bag came with both a mesh stuff sack with a draw string and a compression sack with the cinch straps. So should I use the stuff sack to pack my sleeping bag in my backpack or just not use any type of sack?What manufacturer and model bag? Sounds like it's likely a synthetic bag if it came with a compression sack, so yeah, you might HAVE to use the compression sack to fit it in your pack.

SubSquid
01-29-2016, 23:34
It's a Kelty SB 35

Cotton Terry
01-30-2016, 06:02
As others have said, already, I've always stuffed my sleeping bag in the bottom compartment of the backpack (in a contractors bag). I also kept my clothes in the main compartment in a trash compactor bag. However, I found that this 'lump of clothes' took up too much room and was generally difficult to manage. I'm thinking about putting my clothes in a dry compression bag. I think the smaller size will be easier to manage and will more likely better protect my clothes. Based on what I read here, that's the wrong approach(?).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sethd513
01-30-2016, 08:23
My wife had a Kelty sb40 and the compression sack it came with was the lightest I've seen. We don't use compression sacks much anymore but out of the 8 we have had I liked that one the most.

Malto
01-30-2016, 09:25
Use a compression bag(s) or not. If you don't, then your pack in reality becomes one large compression bag. That is why many, including myself stopped using them. You can get hard items like cook pot compressed with the softer layers. This has three benefits.
1) it completely fills out you pack likely giving you the smallest volume overall.
2) it reduces hard spots on you back.
3) it forms a more unibody structure and greatly reduces the need for a frame of framing items such as foam.

What you will notice about these three are that they become increasing important as you as head more to UL weights and volumes. If you have an 80l pack with a full frame to keep the pack off your back then it makes little difference whether you use a compression bag or not. If you are using a low volume pack such as a MLD Burn then it is unlikely that you would chose to use desperate compression bags. neither is right or wrong, just different.

4eyedbuzzard
01-30-2016, 09:39
It's a Kelty SB 35Looks like a nice bag. I didn't realize that any of the major manufacturers sold down bags in "normal" temp ranges with compression sacks, as down is so compressible anyway with a normal stuff sack. You generally see them being used more with synthetic bags as they aren't as compressible. Ultimately, it's up to you how you pack, there is no right or wrong way, other than keeping it all dry.

Casey & Gina
01-30-2016, 20:03
My sleeping bag came with both a mesh stuff sack with a draw string and a compression sack with the cinch straps. So should I use the stuff sack to pack my sleeping bag in my backpack or just not use any type of sack?

The mesh sack is for long-term storage, though it is even better to hang the sleeping bag or lay it out flat under your bed. Some people don't like to use a sack for their bag in their pack so it can expand and fill up the corners - I guess their bag is pretty thin and has a relatively high temperature rating! I tightly compress my bag to get it into my pack and can't imagine doing it any other way, but I wouldn't leave it that way for more than a day. The bags that come with sleeping bags are generally not the best - I wouldn't use anything not waterproof for my down bag...

Casey & Gina
01-30-2016, 20:04
As others have said, already, I've always stuffed my sleeping bag in the bottom compartment of the backpack (in a contractors bag). I also kept my clothes in the main compartment in a trash compactor bag. However, I found that this 'lump of clothes' took up too much room and was generally difficult to manage. I'm thinking about putting my clothes in a dry compression bag. I think the smaller size will be easier to manage and will more likely better protect my clothes. Based on what I read here, that's the wrong approach(?).

That's what we do and it works great.

AlyontheAT2016
01-30-2016, 20:29
I thought I had read somewhere that compressing a synthetic sleeping bag on a regular basis would over time cause the synthetic filling to lose its warmth? I'm not sure if that's accurate or not. Right now what I do is keep my (synthetic) bag in the (non-waterproof) bag it came in, and then stuff it down at the bottom of my pack inside a waterproof liner from Gossamer Gear. I had a compression sack for it but it really didn't compress down the way I'd hoped. Right now this setup works fine for me though.

SubSquid
01-30-2016, 21:27
The mesh sack is for long-term storage, though it is even better to hang the sleeping bag or lay it out flat under your bed.
Thank you for that. I knew not to have it compressed for longer then needed but I thought just putting it in the mesh bag and putting in the closet was good but I like the hanging it up idea.

So I am going to try stuffing it in the backpack for a weekend hike and see how that works and take the compression sack to switch it up. I am also going to see how I like these stuff sacks from Wally World.

burger
01-30-2016, 22:22
Nonsense - you may not like them but to say they don't belong in anyone's pack is ridiculous.

There is a place for them but they are not for everything. Dry compression sacks (we use Sea-to-Summit eVent ones) are great for your sleeping bag. They are great for spare articles of clothing. That's about it. Nothing else needs to be compressed. Our sleeping bag is huge and I could not fit it into my pack reasonably without a compression sack. But once I get it stuck in to the sleeping bag compartment, I loosen the straps on the compression sack to allow it to expand and fill the compartment and not keep the down as tightly compressed.

No, what's ridiculous is any backpack with a sleeping bag compartment. I assume that means an extra zipper and extra fabric separating the bottom compartment from the rest of the pack--what a tremendous waste of weight! There is absolutely no need to separate your sleeping bag from the rest of your pack. All you need is one compartment for everything.

Also, dry sacks are mostly a waste of weight. Just get a trash bag liner for your pack, and everything that needs to stay dry goes in. If it rains, close off the top with a twist tie or a little piece of cord.

But if you insist on carrying pounds of extra weight, feel free. I guess I'm the ridiculous one.

Casey & Gina
01-30-2016, 23:01
No, what's ridiculous is any backpack with a sleeping bag compartment. I assume that means an extra zipper and extra fabric separating the bottom compartment from the rest of the pack--what a tremendous waste of weight! There is absolutely no need to separate your sleeping bag from the rest of your pack. All you need is one compartment for everything.

Also, dry sacks are mostly a waste of weight. Just get a trash bag liner for your pack, and everything that needs to stay dry goes in. If it rains, close off the top with a twist tie or a little piece of cord.

But if you insist on carrying pounds of extra weight, feel free. I guess I'm the ridiculous one.

Not all of us are gram weanies. More power to you if you can be happy with a low base weight! However I guarantee you that the small bit of extra material and zipper for a sleeping bag compartment, along with an Ultra-Sil compression sack, is far less than even a pound of extra weight; certainly not "pounds".

Everyone has different styles and needs - I was not calling lighterweight choices ridiculous - I was calling the presumption that everyone else should do exactly as you chooose and that bobody should ever do differently ridiculous. And it is.

elWiesel
01-31-2016, 09:18
Sorta related Question: Is there any reason to use "proper" stuff sacks isntead of just plastic and/or ziploc bags (the blue pretty tough ones, if you know german trashbags). I could see myself using one if I want to hang food, but for just keeping stuff dry/together in my pack, I fail to see the upside of spending the extra money.

Malto
01-31-2016, 09:27
Sorta related Question: Is there any reason to use "proper" stuff sacks isntead of just plastic and/or ziploc bags (the blue pretty tough ones, if you know german trashbags). I could see myself using one if I want to hang food, but for just keeping stuff dry/together in my pack, I fail to see the upside of spending the extra money.

You must use proper stuff sacks or the stuff sack police will get you.

Use whatever works. All my little crap goes in a quart sized ziplock.

Casey & Gina
02-01-2016, 16:15

Plastic bags should work quite well, you just have to realize that they won't last as long before developing leaks and will need replaced periodically. I am sure that no matter how many times you need to replace them, financially they will still be cheaper than buying "proper" sacks. Personally I don't like having to replace things and so spending money on good stuff sacks seems worthwhile to me, although it is undeniably expensive, especially for the nice Sea-to-Summit Ultra-Sil ones that I prefer. Another consideration is that if a nylon sack gets dirty it is easy to wash out *and* dry - ziplocks are a pain to get fully dry after washing. On the other hand, I put my food in ziplocks, and will probably use new ones at every resupply, and carry a bunch of extras I end up with when buying a box as they don't weigh much. I do put all my food ziplocks inside of an ultralight dry sack though, which ensures that if something spills it doesn't end up all over my pack. As Malto said, whatever works for you is "proper" enough.

poolskaterx
02-02-2016, 19:25
Just my .02:
I have been upgrading/downweighting my synlon bags and heavier drysacks with the cuben stuff sacks; super-light, waterproof-ish, lets light through so it is easier to see your stuff. Cost is not too bad. I use the square shape zpacks rolltop 750 cu in bags as they fit the width of my pack better than the "tube" shaped sacks.

QiWiz
02-03-2016, 12:48
Most people don't use compression sacks, just a few regular stuff sacks (some use none at all) to separate food, clothing, first aid/medical, etc. Many line their packs with a trash compactor or other waterproof plastic bag to address the moisture/rain issue. It helps that stuff sacks do not wind up stuffed full so they can spread out and fill the voids in a pack. Many don't stuff their sleeping bag in a stuff sack either, they just stuff it into the bottom of the pack. It's a little less compressed which is better for a sleeping bag anyway. This way you also better utilize the entire pack and don't waste space (fills the nooks and crannies). The problem with compression sacks is that you wind up with big hard lumps that don't fill the space well in pack. It's like trying to pack three or four big balls, they don't fit together well.

+1 It's nice to have a few (maybe one for sleeping bag, one for sleep/camp clothes you don't wear on trail, and one for small items) sacks that are made out of thin material just to keep things kind of organized. Compression sacks are heavy and create a gear lump that is harder to pack in-between or around other gear in your pack. Everything you need to keep dry should additionally be inside a waterproof bag (like a garbage bag or a more durable trash compactor bag). I prefer to compress my insulation as little as possible, so sleeping bag and sometimes also a puffy jacket goes into largish stuff sacks that go inside a trash compactor bag at the bottom of my pack. As items are added/packed above they naturally compress the sleeping bag, but only to the degree it needs to be to get everything in. So for example, the more days of food I'm carrying, the more compressed my down quilt will be.