PDA

View Full Version : old gear lists

squeezebox
01-29-2016, 19:07
So what do you remember about your gear list from long ago? Say 70s, 80s, 90s, 2000s ?

TJ aka Teej
01-29-2016, 20:02
I remember not dying. Cotton didn't kill me. Spring water didn't poison me. Bears didn't eat me, even though I didn't bear-bag or carry a weapon or spray.

Hikes in Rain
01-29-2016, 20:51
Have them hand copied from old books in several notebooks. I remember I carried a whole heck of a lot of weight for an overnighter, most of which didn't get used.

4eyedbuzzard
01-29-2016, 21:00
Late 60's early 70's - Bright orange Camp Trails Horizon pack, old brown Campmor 20°F down bag, Optimus 8R stove, beat up aluminum pot, soup spoon from mom's kitchen, cotton twill work pants or jeans, wool sweater, Gerry down vest, yellow raincoat, Dunham waffle stomper boots, aluminum canteen, Lipton freeze dried meals . . .

Water filter? - What's that you say? Oh, you mean pour it through your sweaty bandana to get the dirt and bugs out.
Hiking poles? - Oh yeah, Stashu and Aleksy, two guys from Warsaw and Gdansk. We found a suitable stick the first day out, whittled on it during breaks and in camp, and fire hardened the tip in the campfire.

rafe
01-29-2016, 21:09
Camp Trails external frame pack
Eureka Solitaire tent
Hermans' down sleeping bag
Fabiano Trionic leather boots
MSR Whisperlite stove
massive "First Need" water filter
Nalgene bottles for water stowage (x2)
no cell phone
no trekking poles
no LED headlamps

Sarcasm the elf
01-29-2016, 21:14
Camp Trails external frame pack
Eureka Solitaire tent
Hermans' down sleeping bag
Fabiano Trionic leather boots
MSR Whisperlite stove
massive "First Need" water filter
Nalgene bottles for water stowage (x2)
no cell phone
no trekking poles
no LED headlamps

Rafe, do you by chance recall if the Herman's down bag was sold under a brand name? I still have the winter bag I got for scouts around 1992 (it still gets used sometimes!) and I'm wondering if it was a Hermans special.

Wise Old Owl
01-29-2016, 21:31
I would not dare to show my photos...

http://thingsonmylist.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/hikers.png?w=640&h=392&crop=1

Kaptainkriz
01-29-2016, 21:50
Hollofill II, peak 1, timberline 2, I'm in orange:
Damn we had fun!

Sarcasm the elf
01-29-2016, 21:55
I need to see if my parents still have my peak1 lying around, the I need to find if I can get an O-ring/serving kit for it. Would be kinda fun to get it back in action for winter trips.

Kaptainkriz
01-29-2016, 22:00
I just did my o rings on my lantern and stive. Easy to find in bulk on eBay.
Oring geekery: http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/blue-o-ring-for-229-exponent-lantern-6124545

I need to see if my parents still have my peak1 lying around, the I need to find if I can get an O-ring/serving kit for it. Would be kinda fun to get it back in action for winter trips.

Kaptainkriz
01-29-2016, 22:09
400 stove teardown: http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post?id=4940241

rafe
01-29-2016, 22:28
Rafe, do you by chance recall if the Herman's down bag was sold under a brand name? I still have the winter bag I got for scouts around 1992 (it still gets used sometimes!) and I'm wondering if it was a Hermans special.

Yeah, the tag says "High Adventure." Heh.

Sarcasm the elf
01-29-2016, 23:10
Yeah, the tag says "High Adventure." Heh.

Hmm, mine says "Frieds"

I had a High Adventure pack all throughout scouts. The experience of using it allows me to appreciate how comfortable my ULA Circuit really is.

Sarcasm the elf
01-29-2016, 23:11
400 stove teardown: http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post?id=4940241

Awesome! Thank you. Now I need to stop by their house tomorrow and locate it.

Tipi Walter
01-29-2016, 23:43
Wise Old Owl---Very good pic. Sadly, my "glory" years of backpacking were mostly done without a camera and so I have hundreds of trips from 1980 to 2001 unrecorded. Dangit. I do have one from 1963 with a canvas Yucca pack but that was a fluke. Here are some---

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-FxdooopRBW4/TIJ8m28_syI/AAAAAAAAA7k/9u_3eNLARng/s640-Ic42/OLD%252520BAG%252520WITH%252520DOG.jpg
Here is a pic of my old 1957 flannel lined sleeping bag which I used as part of my Tipi floor in 1985 until it disintegrated shortly thereafter.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-6Byv5TDtQr0/TIJ4yFuposI/AAAAAAAAA68/SKm2Va_Mufc/s576-Ic42/Johnny%252520B%252520getssmaller%252520tcropo%2525 20Pisgah%252520Camp%252520at%252520night%252520and %252520sets%252520up%252520the%252520tent.jpg
Back in the early 1980s the best backpacking light you could get was the Mini-Mag as shown here with Johnny B setting up his tent in Pisgah NF after a night hike. We all routinely drooled down the shaft of these flashlights.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-LaKc8GVgc0k/TIJ7KhHIRPI/AAAAAAAAA7U/zK13Ws1KvVU/s640-Ic42/Chickasaw%252520Creek%252520Workday%252520and%2525 20Sierra%252520Cup%252520029.jpg
I carried this sierra cup for years in the late 1970s---thinking it to be a vital component to serious backpacking. Not.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-CloXm57SdCA/TIJ3TKGhIzI/AAAAAAAAA6o/mjq4FUw3o90/s541-Ic42/another%252520tslsls.jpg
My first serious backpacking tent was this North Face Tuolumne A-frame from 1977---Check out the snow tunnel door and above door vent. It's shown without the tent fly of course.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TPhnopIlZpk/TIJ3TK0ur4I/AAAAAAAAA6o/xqHQwbBdhLY/s611-Ic42/vfgfgfgfgfddd.jpg
I was living out of this backpack back in 1980 around Boone NC and hitchhiked from Boone to Greensboro NC to see my folks and they took this pic as I arrived in their home. The pack is a North Face BackMagic external. Check out the old style water bottle. Inside my wool blanket on the back was my North Face blue anorak rain gear. The below bulge was my North Face tent.

Tipi Walter
01-29-2016, 23:51
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-0bMbnwCcoPk/TILS9qzBG9I/AAAAAAAAA8s/tkIDGpAyoGk/s639-Ic42/in%252520Pisgah%252520and%252520the%252520gorge%25 2520overlook.jpg
I gotta add some more vintage shots. Here is Lindal Newbius with her unknown-name external pack and her vintage sleeping pad. Remember these egg shell crate pads??? Take note of the little kid's pack on the ground---With the original ensolite pad from the 1970s. This was taken on the Upper Creek trail in Pisgah NF.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-eZDg-tuGhnE/TIJ7KspJNwI/AAAAAAAAA7U/Pp9cwcvLOwU/s576-Ic42/Tipi%252520Walter%252520Camping%252520at%252520Lau rel%252520Falls%252520on%252520AT%25252C%252520198 9.jpg
This is what we used to wear for backpacking while being dirt poor---except for the excellent tent. It's a North Face Westwind set up on Laurel Creek by the Falls on the AT. Back then we all wore blue jeans. I even liked my jungle boots and lightweight fatigue jacket green liner.

Leo L.
01-30-2016, 08:42
Back in the 70ies the only resources for backpacking stuff were military and Boy Scouts.
The Scout's cotton tents were way too big and heavy to carry so we ended up using some WWII camouflage tarp/poncho and inflatable rubber mat for our first overnighters. My military service in the late 70ies added at least some nice near-waterproof boots.
The next huge step was the introduction of foam pad type sleeping mats, but they were so expensive that for some years I continued using a huge PE plastic foil as a tarp&groundsheet, without a dedicated mat.
Then I was lucky to get a dome tent (a very crappy one, unfortunately), finally a foam pad and, yippeee!, a down sleeping bag - all this bought from my first salary.
This was when real travelling and backpacking started.
I have to admit that in these days I seldom did more than 1-2 consecutive nights outdoors, due to traditional bad weather and lack of good equipment.
Also, at this time I was more travelling with the motorcycle and was heavy into rock climbing.
Soon, in the early 80ies, I bought a huge backpack (Lowe Cerro Torre) and a new dome tent (Salewa Sierra Leone), both items I still have in use. Carried both on a long trip to the USA in '86 and started to get to know "your" way of hiking.
Only since 5-6 years I'm really back to backpacking, still using a lot of my old equipment.

rafe
01-30-2016, 09:17
Back in the 70ies the only resources for backpacking stuff were military and Boy Scouts.

Not exactly. We found a hunters' supply store, a little hole in the wall, deep downtown (Rochester, NY) that had some excellent, quality gear. Stuff you'd never find in the usual suburban retail outlets.

For example (yeah I know I'm dating myself) -- a down sleeping bag, filled with 2 1/2 pounds of down, for $45. Which I still own, though I haven't used it for some time.

Woodturner
01-30-2016, 09:23
Kelty BD5 expedition pack with unpadded hip belt
Holubar Sawtooth Mountain zero degree sleeping bag with liner
Browning Sawtooth Mountain tent bought at nearby gun shop
Eastern Mountain Sports down parka and 60/40 parka
Poncho and rain chaps
Sigg tourist cook set designed for use with the
Svea 123 stove
Space blanket ground sheet
Closed cell foam sleeping pad
Hiking staff made from sapling cut in my favorite squirrel woods. I still have that staff, but in the 40+ years since it was cut it has seasoned into a “C” shape.
And a Sierra cup, because back then no one had heard of Giardia and it was so easy to fill the cup from water running off rocks along the trail.

The currently planned long hike will see changes to a much smaller and lighter pack, a quilt instead of a sleeping bag, and a one pot cook set with an alcohol stove. The rain gear will be pretty much the same, substituting a Columbia lightweight rain jacket for the 60/40 parka. Instead of a staff, it will be trekking poles. The jury is still out on whether shelter will be a Six Moons tent or a bivy sack/poncho set up. I have experience with the tent. I haven’t tried the bivy yet.

4eyedbuzzard
01-30-2016, 09:34
The Scout's cotton tents were way too big and heavy to carry so we ended up using some WWII camouflage tarp/poncho and inflatable rubber mat for our first overnighters. My military service in the late 70ies added at least some nice near-waterproof boots.
The next huge step was the introduction of foam pad type sleeping mats, but they were so expensive that for some years I continued using a huge PE plastic foil as a tarp&groundsheet, without a dedicated mat.
Then I was lucky to get a dome tent (a very crappy one, unfortunately), finally a foam pad and, yippeee!, a down sleeping bag - all this bought from my first salary.
This was when real travelling and backpacking started.
I have to admit that in these days I seldom did more than 1-2 consecutive nights outdoors, due to traditional bad weather and lack of good equipment.
Also, at this time I was more travelling with the motorcycle and was heavy into rock climbing.
Soon, in the early 80ies, I bought a huge backpack (Lowe Cerro Torre) and a new dome tent (Salewa Sierra Leone), both items I still have in use. Carried both on a long trip to the USA in '86 and started to get to know "your" way of hiking.
Only since 5-6 years I'm really back to backpacking, still using a lot of my old equipment.
Before becoming Campmor in 1978, Morsan in NJ started selling military surplus tents after WWII, and then later sporting goods being manufactured specifically for the emerging backpacking market in the 50's thru 70's. They were one of the first mail order outfitters. Everybody used to look forward to receiving their cheap black and white catalog in the mail every few months. And they're still in business today.

Bronk
01-30-2016, 11:41
Have been re-reading Calvin Rutstrum's books lately and have found some of his advice and gear lists pretty interesting. He speaks with authority listing all kinds of extremely heavy gear as absolutely necessary.

Leo L.
01-30-2016, 11:56
I believe even the WWII stuff you Americans had was way better than the one we had. There were some surplus army shops in Germany that sold mostly US things, which was one of the main sources for us then. If you had the money to go there and buy something.
Being student usually meant, zero money (but still lot of fun).

BTW, really love your pics, Walter!

rafe
01-30-2016, 11:57
Have been re-reading Calvin Rutstrum's books lately and have found some of his advice and gear lists pretty interesting. He speaks with authority listing all kinds of extremely heavy gear as absolutely necessary.

I think it's more about "being there" vs. "getting there." Back then we (I?) gave more thought to the camp experience, and less to making miles. For thru hikers it's the other way around. Camp is mostly just to eat and sleep, the rest of the time you're moving, with haste and purpose. Plus, on trails like the AT, town infrastructure promotes short hikes of 3, 4 days, typically. You can endure the spartan camp experience knowing you'll be back in civilization soon.

Tipi Walter
01-30-2016, 13:13

Your post reminds me of a blog post by Woodtrekker concerning what Horace Kephart carried. See---

http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/04/gear-of-horace-kephart.html

The gist is this: His summer pack weight with 2 days of food was around 28 lbs. His winter pack weight was 50 to 60 lbs. Oh and his winter sleeping bag weighed 8 lbs.

I think it's more about "being there" vs. "getting there." Back then we (I?) gave more thought to the camp experience, and less to making miles. For thru hikers it's the other way around. Camp is mostly just to eat and sleep, the rest of the time you're moving, with haste and purpose. Plus, on trails like the AT, town infrastructure promotes short hikes of 3, 4 days, typically. You can endure the spartan camp experience knowing you'll be back in civilization soon.

All true. I call it the Thruhiker Forced March phenom. Carry minimal food, leave the "wilderness" often, spend a lot of money in towns, rely on rat box shelters to keep your pack light w/o a tent, maintain a "grab-ass" circle with fellow hikers you cannot bear to part with, having a dull fascination with the shelter trail registers to locate your hiking buddies---are they ahead of me or behind?---the captivation with high mile days to placate the Maine beast, and the sour aloofness of AT thruhikers who are "official" and superior to anyone else on the AT just because they are doing it "Right."

Where this falls into old gear is unknown, but I understand your point of long ago years when backpackers seemed to be much less concerned with minimal food loads and daily miles gained. I remember reading Eric Ryback's AT book from 1969 where he described getting into a town and loading up his pack with 21 days worth of food and writing about how great such a load felt on his back knowing he'd be free to stay on the trail for 3 weeks without interruption.

NICK GATEL
In this vein, there's a great Nick Gatel quote on BPL.com when discussing "Ultralight Ideas That Have Died". The thread was started by Jake S. and he mentions spinnaker fabric, packs without waist straps and other UL gear that people stopped using. Regarding these changes, Nick Gatel says:

"What I think has really changed is most people are unwilling to backpack for 10-14 days without a resupply. They don't mind leaving the wilderness to go into trail towns and get food."

Pheral
01-30-2016, 20:39
Lots of hiking in jeans. I don't remember the brand of external frame backpack I had - Canyon? Does that ring a bell for anyone? I had a Sierra Designs tent and in 1977 was on Mount Mitchell the same night a dam burst in Toccoa, GA, and swept through a bible college there. I have never camped in rain like the rain we experienced that night. Supposedly, it rained 10 inches in 10 hours.

I had a Svea 123 stove that I still use and an army surplus down mummy bag that in retrospect probably weighed 8 lbs or more. Also remember the Sierra cup and the fact that we never worried about drinking from streams in the Smokies. We used to carry canned foods like corn beef hash..

Carl7
01-31-2016, 00:39
Some of the things I carried on my 1982 Damascus to just shy of Springer trip in June/July were as follows:
Green Camp Trails External Frame pack, Upgrade from canvas Boy Scout Yucca pack. That pack was just a little over 3 pounds. My only complaint was the squeaking of the pins.
A nylon stuff sack with a trash bag for the sleeping bag.
Trash bag inside pack
No pack cover
Slumber jack 3 pound synthetic mummy sleeping bag (all I could afford) upgrade from 11 year old Coleman rectangular bag. I loved the fact that I had a mummy bag. High tech you know. Hot? Yes!
No sleeping pad. I do not remember anyone having one on the trail in 82. I also do not remember seeing a single Nobo full thru hiker as a late May, June, July Sobo section hiker.
10’ x 12’ nylon tarp, upgrade from a canvas tent. (I considered this ultralight) No tent stakes/used sticks. I had most shelters to myself in 1982. It was actually very lonely as a Sobo section hiker.
No ground cloth
Orange nylon Boy Scout poncho
Eveready flashlight with two D batteries, (it was dead most of the time)
Aluminum 2 quart canteen
No filter used tablets, used them maybe 3 times
Peak one stove, upgrade from a fire (I thought I was “the man” with this stove)
Aluminum 2 quart pot and lid, aluminum plate, plastic insulated coffee cup. No pot tongues, used stick
Metal camp spoon
Blue jeans and flannel shirt it case it got cold
Hiked in blue jean cutoffs and blue cotton t shirt (It was a very wet year)
Tighty whities
Wore a wide brown leather belt with a heavy brass buckle that had flying ducks on it
Hiked in work boots with Viburnum soles with wide toe box
Heavy wool socks with liner socks
No camp shoes
No hiking poles or sticks, I had never even heard of hiking poles and never saw anyone with more than one hiking staff
No cell phone, no camera, emergency quarters for a pay phone
No sunblock
Baseball cap
Sylva Compass
Off bug repellant in a spray can
Pocket knife with only the small blade, as the large blade was broken off
Fatty pine for emergency fire starter
Kitchen matches dipped in wax, no lighter
I had a great hike with this gear at the time.
As they say, all you need is a hatchet, loan cloth, and good attitude

scrabbler
01-31-2016, 00:53
"What I think has really changed is most people are unwilling to backpack for 10-14 days without a resupply. They don't mind leaving the wilderness to go into trail towns and get food."

With all due respect, what is the limit? 3 days, 21 days, 40 days..? What's considered acceptable to you?

Tipi Walter
01-31-2016, 01:08
With all due respect, what is the limit? 3 days, 21 days, 40 days..? What's considered acceptable to you?

This isn't my quote or idea but comes from Nick Gatel on BackpackingLight.com. He offered this thought as a new trend in backpacking versus the "old days" when backpackers commonly carried more food and stayed out longer w/o resupply.

What's acceptable to me? The longer the better. We leave towns and folding money and commerce to enter the woods and in my opinion it makes sense to stay in these woods as long as possible before returning to towns or AYCE restaurants or folding money or car traffic or commerce. So, it's okay and excellent to carry more food.

Carl7
02-02-2016, 07:46
A quick update to my final comment noted in # 26 above, if you have to loan your loin cloth to someone in need, just improve the attitude and smile. ;-)

Sarcasm the elf
02-02-2016, 09:20
This was left to be by my late next door neighbor. I got a few wierd looks when I showed up on Mt. Washington carrying it.

full conditions
02-02-2016, 10:20
In '76 I carried an:
Alpenlite fbackpack - wraparound hip frame- probably about 6lbs empty - worked pretty well - a good pack in its day - broke a clevis pin in Massachusetts though which was nearly a disaster;

sears duck down 30 degree sleeping bag - about 3lbs - no hood - semirectangular - somehow, I never got it wet and it worked very well;

huge sheet of visqueen (shelter and ground sheet) with Colin Fletcher approved visclamps - used it twice in five months and neither time did it rain;

two 1 qt plastic water bottles; sierra cup; butane stove - Bluet brand I think;

1 quart aluminum pot; two pairs of rag wool socks;

two pairs of silk liners - my god, the stench;

North Face 60/40 rain jacket (it sucked - literally - sucked up gallons of scotch guard and sucked up gallons of rain water;

wool crusher hat - which I lost somewhere on Cheoah Bald and went hatless the rest of the way;

nylon running shorts - same ones I used on my high school track team - obscenely short;

cotton pants - which I got rid of in Cloverdale - it being early July - went without long pants the rest of my hike which got a bit dicey in the Whites and Maine;

woolrich wool shirt - wish someone had told me about bounce boxes back then because I carried that thing for months without wearing it;

Vasque Hiker II boots - went through three pairs - I liked them at the time but wouldnt consider wearing them now;

two cotton t-shirts that I bought at rock concerts - Santana and Chicago;

TJ aka Teej
02-06-2016, 11:21

We also had LL Bean's, The Kittery Trading Post, Hilton's Tent City and EMS in Boston, the REI catalog, and Sears in the 70s.
Bought my Bicentenial edition Kelty external pack at KTP - red white and blue stars and stripes!

Leo L.
02-06-2016, 12:48
Back in this old times (70ies and 80ies) we here in Austria lived in a politically and economically very secluded place. Anything getting from abroad (that includes Germany, where most of the famouse outfitters were situated) was difficult and expensive, many things were just illegal to import, or prone to very high customs.
So yes, we knew that there was good stuff, even saw it carried by German climbers coming to the Alps, but we could hardly get some.

The situation changed only when the EU was formed and Austria became a full member.
The good side of this is, that we find it easy to safe money by NOT buying stuff <G>

rafe
02-06-2016, 13:12
We also had LL Bean's, The Kittery Trading Post, Hilton's Tent City and EMS in Boston, the REI catalog, and Sears in the 70s.
Bought my Bicentenial edition Kelty external pack at KTP - red white and blue stars and stripes!

Campmor has been there since forever.

Venchka
02-08-2016, 23:17
Campmor has been there since forever.

Aye. Mail order was the order of the day if you lived in a backpacking wasteland.
REI, LL Bean, The Ski Hut, Yak Works, even cottage industry startups like Rivendell Mountain Works.
What do I remember about that gear? What would you like to know? I still have most of it. My granddaughter has my first sleeping bag. My first air mattress bit the dust. I still have the second one.
Walter, my first tent was the same model from The North Face. I still have 3 of those water bottles. Small world hey?

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

rafe
02-08-2016, 23:38

I bought my last pair of leather boots at Kittery Trading Post. Asolo something-or-other. Wore them on a section from Gorham to Grafton Notch. They chewed up my feet, but good. That was the first and last time I wore them for hiking. 34 oz. apiece. Still have them but hardly ever wear them nowadays.

Feral Bill
02-09-2016, 00:07
I remember meeting a group camped near us on the ridge of the Presidential Range (it was legal then, if not smart). The one outdoor shop in their town sold only Gerry brand gear. Everything they had, from the skin out, was Gerry. Good stuff too, even by modern standards. I lived in NYC and had several specialist stores to shop in, with more than adequate gear. Cottage manufacturers like Sierra Design, Jan Sport, and North Face. This around 1970.

H I T C H
11-01-2016, 11:51
I know that this is an older thread, but I am a new guy so they are all new threads to me.
I really enjoyed this walk down memory lane. We recently moved and I found a bag of old gear that I forgot I still had.

These first 2 are from around 1976 and were prizes I won in scouts. You can see the scout logo on them.

Fire starter:

Little Vita Cutlery:

Before there were prepackaged packets of peanut butter and when peanut butter came in glass rather than plastic jars; the Gerry tube was the answer for taking PB on the trail. I felt like an astronaut eating out of a tube. :) If I had to guess, I think that I got this around 1980. I used to have one with a tip/tube that screwed on to the top too.

This was my first cook set. It was my father's when he was a scout, so it has to be over 75 years old now. You can barely see the scout logo on the front of the bag.

Lastly is my Atco Collapsible cup - WWI/WWII. This was my father's as well. I don't know when he got this or where, but I sure enjoyed it.
The bottom of the cup has a signal mirror. One side of the case has a compass and the other side a magnifying glass. Even the finest filtered water would taste like garden house water out of this cup, but it was still cool. ;)

Hope this brought back some more fond memories for some of you. My grandson has just started cub scouts. I am glad that I hung onto these relics so that I have a few stories to share with him about how we used to do thing "back then".

Hitch

nsherry61
11-01-2016, 13:28
Hmm.
~1970:
- New Campmor external frame backpack made of nylon instead of cotton canvas like the old one.
- Army surplus down mummy bag with cotton shell fabric that my dad used in WWII in the 10th Mtn Division ski troops.
- Visqueen for ground sheet sheet and a "high tech" urethane coated nylon tarp for shelter.
- Scrap of open cell foam for sleeping pad.
- Only cooked over a fire. Wondered why people were so stuck in their civilized ways as to carry a stove.
- Wool dress pants, wool shirts, wool socks, wool mittens, wool jacket
- Garbage bag as supplemental rain gear if my water resistant "mountain parka" was going to get overwhelmed
- Food was mostly GORP, oatmeal, and freezedried dinners, pre-mountainhouse because my dad worked for Oregon Freezdry Foods and they hadn't started marketing to civilian populations yet. A couple years later "Mountainhouse" came into being and was the newer cheaper, less nutrient dense version of the freezedried military rations we grew up on.
- Yes, leather boots. The heavier the better.
- Sigg bottles were for water, not fuel. MSR hadn't come out with their stoves yet.