PDA

View Full Version : Guthook's maps for Android

Arden
01-29-2016, 23:38
Hi;
I'm planning a SOBO thru-hike starting June-July, and want to have a good set of GPS maps. I have been told by others in this forum that Guthook's maps of the entire AT for $60 are worth the money. I did download the trial version, which has only the map of the Amicalola Falls Approach Trail, but it does look quite good.
Can anyone tell me whether this map set also includes Baxter Park? or do I need to purchase a separate map set for my ascent to Katahdin from the lowlands of the park.

Thanks for your help

Arden

Internet Hiker
01-30-2016, 02:57
Yes it does.

bemental
01-31-2016, 19:51
+1 for the Guthook application.

Arden
02-01-2016, 11:29
Thanks guys;
I'll keep the app on my wish list. Hopefully I will be able to afford it by the time I am ready to begin my trek.
Only issue is that on my Android 4.4.4 phone, this app (at least not the free version) cannot be moved to SD card, so I don't know if I have enough memory to hold the app. Anyone know how much the full trail map will use?

SteelCut
02-01-2016, 12:29
On my iPhone, I have all sections loaded and all the maps (several different versions) and photos downloaded and it takes up 1.2GB. I could reduce that by removing some of the older downloaded maps that I don't use. You can selectively load/unload the data for the various sections which I don't do since I have alot of storage. But, you don't have to have everything loaded all at one.

You might want to contact Guthook for more detailed info and they might have ideas on how to best manage the data size.

Arden
02-01-2016, 17:02
On my iPhone, I have all sections loaded and all the maps (several different versions) and photos downloaded and it takes up 1.2GB. I could reduce that by removing some of the older downloaded maps that I don't use. You can selectively load/unload the data for the various sections which I don't do since I have alot of storage. But, you don't have to have everything loaded all at one.

You might want to contact Guthook for more detailed info and they might have ideas on how to best manage the data size.
Sounds like a good idea. It would be more simple though, if I could root my Android phone as I did the last one I owned. Problem with that is I am on TracFone, and they won't allow rooting of the Moto-E. Even then, some apps may not run from the SD card even on a rooted phone.
I will contact Guthook.

Arden
02-03-2016, 13:30
Contacted Guthook's on FB and was told that a new version of the maps app will be coming in a month or so, and that version will be capable of moving to SD card. I will wait to purchase the newer version, although I would think that if I wanted to purchase the current version now, the newer would be a free upgrade.