PDA

View Full Version : How many have given in?

stickat04
12-15-2005, 15:24
How many people have just given into "springer fever"?

Ender
12-15-2005, 15:42
How many people have just given into "springer fever"?

Count me in as a "give in-er"... Did the AT in '98... couldn't get it out of my head, and come January of 2003 I'd had enough and decided to hike again, but this time on the PCT (which, for the sake of full disclosure I wasn't able to finish due to injury). Still can't get it out of my head, but I have a job that I like which helps to make it OK.

Nean
12-15-2005, 15:43
yous got tha Springer fevers. I hear it can be treated but not cured! :p

sliderule
12-15-2005, 15:51
yous got tha Springer fevers. I hear it can be treated but not cured! :p

I am not so sure. It seems that a lot of folks are in complete remission by the time they get to Neels Gap!!!

txulrich
12-15-2005, 16:47
I am not so sure. It seems that a lot of folks are in complete remission by the time they get to Neels Gap!!!

This is the type of illness that, with rest, returns with a vengence. The more you try to ignore it, the worse you get it!

Footslogger
12-15-2005, 16:51
Not sure what you mean by "giving in". All I know is that I get an incurable case of it between now and March of every year ...and I don't try to fight it.

'Slogger

Mouse
12-15-2005, 17:01
Nothing like being on crutches to quell the urge.:(

Spirit Walker
12-15-2005, 18:29
I did. When I hiked the trail in 1988, I swore I wouldn't do it again. Great experience and all that, but not one I wanted to repeat. Six months later I started having flashbacks. I'd be sitting at the computer and for a moment I was walking in the woods. A year later, I had full fledged Springer fever. At two years I was ready to go again, but had no money, so I hiked the JMT instead. At three years, I was making lists of pros and cons. (pro: hiking, community, beauty, happiness; con: rain, pain, pasta). I got a great new job, and decided that it wasn't the time to go, I would have to wait a few more years. Fortunately for me, the job didn't work out, and I decided that rather than stay and be miserable for a year or two, then quit, I'd cut my losses and go hiking sooner rather than later. Finally, four years after I started my first AT hike, I headed out on my second one in April of '92. At the end of my second AT hike, I knew I wanted to go on to do more long hikes. It was just a matter of when and where. I was considering the PCT, but Jim wasn't enthusiastic about it, so we decided to go hike the CDT instead. It took seven years - until 1999 - before we had the time and money for another long hike, but away we went. At the end of that one we knew we would be heading to the PCT sooner or later, so we decided to go the next year, while all our stuff was still in storage and before we reestablished ourselves in a home and jobs. At the end of that one, I thought we were done for a while. We got good jobs, bought a house, and settled in. It didn't take but a few months before I was back to missing long distance hiking. Jim promised that as soon as he was ready to retire, we'd go again. So, next spring we're off again on hike number five. And I am as excited about this one as the first one - if not more. For some of us, hiking really does become an addiction.

jackiebolen
12-15-2005, 20:48
My resolve is weakening and it's only been one spring for me. I have a feeling I'll be back sooner rather than later.