PDA

View Full Version : For the AT, Bear Canister or Food Sack?

NewHeart
01-30-2016, 10:38
Starting to put finishing touches on my gear for my late April Nobo start. I've read multiple threads about food protection. There seems to be a vast variety of ideas and from what I have read it also seems mice are more of a problem. I've heard recommendations on a Ursack Minor. It is my understanding that canisters are required on some sections. What recommendations on bear canisters?

Turk6177
01-30-2016, 13:28
There is only a 5 mile section over Blood Mountain in GA that requires a bear can. That is only if you are camping, not just walking through. You will not need a canister. I like the food stuff sacks offered by Z-Packs. They are made of cuben fiber and are strong and light. If you hang your food, you won't have mice getting into it. I don't know if this is urban legend or really true, but I have heard that mice do not like knowing through cuben fiber. I heard it hurts their teeth. Maybe the guys at Zpacks can answer that for you. http://www.zpacks.com

daddytwosticks
01-30-2016, 18:04
Mice and squirrels, especially flying squirrels at night, can get into properly hung food bags. This is why I use an Ursak Minor and have had zero problems with critters getting into my food. :)

daveiniowa
01-30-2016, 18:52
Got an Ursack last Fall and zero problems. I hang it well away from camp. I like it. It will be what I use from now on.

Christoph
01-30-2016, 18:54
I carried a small nylon sack for food on my attempt. You won't need to worry about canisters (there's not many places that require them), plus the added weight was a deterrent for me.

Sarcasm the elf
01-30-2016, 19:28
Regular nylon foodbag

Huli
01-31-2016, 09:30
I had a raccoon climb the bear pole and get my food sack. He ruined 5 lbs of food. I am considering a Ursak. Has only happened once, still didn't like loosing all that grub.

Huli
01-31-2016, 09:31
Quick add on.... Food was in LokSak bags.

QiWiz
02-01-2016, 16:39
No need for canister IMO; +1 on Ursack Minor for varmint protection.

Blissful
02-02-2016, 14:44
Canister is "suggested" from GA to Damascus but only required around the Blood Mtn, GA area which can be easily hiked through.

Casey & Gina
02-02-2016, 15:58
I just keep my food in my pack in my tent. :cool:

Wouldn't carry a canister unless it was required, e.g. on the PCT.

SouthMark
02-02-2016, 18:10
ZPacks cuben food bag in my hammock as a pillow.

xrayextra
02-03-2016, 00:58
If you keep your food in your tent, mice will eat through the tent to get to the food.

You don't need a bear canister as was previously stated if you don't camp in the five mile wide, bear canister required zone.

I highly recommend the LokSaks. When used properly, they're smell proof, so even mice and other rodents won't chew through it to get at the food b/c they can't smell it (unless you have food on your fingers when you zip it shut).

Flounder940
02-03-2016, 12:09
I had "something" eat a quarter sized hole in the bottom of my Ursak in 2012. I always hung it on bear cables.

Casey & Gina
02-03-2016, 12:27
I don't like how quickly the LokSaks wear out for their cost.

Dys-feng shui-nal
03-02-2016, 15:51
I had "something" eat a quarter sized hole in the bottom of my Ursak in 2012. I always hung it on bear cables.
Was that an Ursack Major or Minor? I've heard that rodents can chew through Ursack Major if given enough time. Rodents tend to chew persistently in one little spot, while bears tend to chomp randomly and give up after a while. The Ursack minor has failed under vigorous bear chomping on the PCT (leaving pulverized drool-soaked gruel inside a Loksak in the torn-up Ursack Minor.) I have both a Minor and a Major, and would like to just take one on the AT. My preference on the PCT has been to just tie it to the base of a tree. Wondering if anyone has done that consistently on the AT?

Flounder940
03-02-2016, 16:33
Was that an Ursack Major or Minor? I've heard that rodents can chew through Ursack Major if given enough time. Rodents tend to chew persistently in one little spot, while bears tend to chomp randomly and give up after a while. The Ursack minor has failed under vigorous bear chomping on the PCT (leaving pulverized drool-soaked gruel inside a Loksak in the torn-up Ursack Minor.) I have both a Minor and a Major, and would like to just take one on the AT. My preference on the PCT has been to just tie it to the base of a tree. Wondering if anyone has done that consistently on the AT?

It was an Ursack Minor.

gonzos247
03-02-2016, 16:38
+1 for hanging UrSack Minor.

waukinslo
03-02-2016, 17:41
I had a flying squirrel eat a whole in my hanging bear bag, Ursack for me since then

Huli
03-05-2016, 11:00
I once tried hanging a mesh food bag. BAD IDEA!! The raccoons climbed the metal bear pole and were able flail out and grab the mesh easily.

Yes, I sat and watched for a minute. Next day, switched to sil nylon; was too slick for the sneaks!

From what I understand, the ursak is slick like sil nylon and chew proof as long as you catch the critter in time. They warranty if the hole is bigger than 1/4 inch I believe.

JohnHuth
03-05-2016, 13:14
I use a dry-bag for sea kayaking. You can get a kind that's fairly lightweight that has an exterior nylon surface, and a kind of rubber/plastic interior. You can suck most of the air out, and get an airtight seal. Then, I hang it from a branch with a rope. This is pretty much my go-to scheme unless I'm required to have a canister - e.g. Olympic National Park, parts of the PCT.

I've never had problems with it. My 'theory' is that the air tightness of the bag doesn't allow much, if any, of the food odor escape - crittters won't be attracted, and the toughness of the dry-bag also is difficult to get through. They're relatively easy to hang, and make a good compartment in the pack for segregating food.

The only pain is getting the rope over a tree branch, which is notoriously clumsy. Well, clumsy for me, anyway. I tie up a rock in the rope and toss it over the tree branch, which will require many failed tosses before I succeed. If anyone out there has a good scheme for getting the rope up over a high branch, please let me know.

Huli
03-05-2016, 16:18
<--- rock chucker.

medicjenn76
03-06-2016, 21:12
I've used a Ratsack found on amazon for added protection with food bag. It adds a few extra ounces but so far hung in a tree or bear cable and no food bag holes... Just an idea..