PDA

View Full Version : Pee Bottle

Brad L
01-30-2016, 14:28
I know I'm opening the "flood gates" with this question but will do it anyway..... When using a bottle at night so as to not have to leave your tent, how are you cleaning this bottle the next day for sanitary purpose to use again and keeping it away from other gear? TIA, have fun with it but real answers would be appreciated. :)

tdoczi
01-30-2016, 14:35
why would you clean a bottle youre just going to pee in again? urine is sterile, not going to hurt you or make you sick or anything if you carry around a dirty bottle.

Tipi Walter
01-30-2016, 14:39
Other options:
** Squat in your tent vestibule and pee.
** Pee in your cooking pot. Empty, wash out. Cook up dinner. Have a nice day.

The bigger question is this: How to birth a turd in terrible conditions? Nonstop deluge, -10F blizzard with 40mph winds, etc. Place paper towels on tent floor. Squat and release angry turtlehead with an in-tent Deposit into the Special Account, wad up paper towels, place in ziploc for later burying. Light stick of incense. Inhale deeply my friends.

Final option: Squat by tent in snow at 0F. Hook, catch and release Turtlehead. Leave on ground by tent. By morning it will be frozen like a hard olympic discus. Either bury or hurl.

Kookork
01-30-2016, 14:43
Well, I use an apple juice bottle with wide mouth that is nothing like my water container.
It has a different shape because in the middle of the darkness by touching it I can feel it's shape and I don't want to quench my thirst with my pee. I always keep it in my left hand side while the water bottle is on my right. I do everything possible not to make mistake because when I am tired and wake up in the middle of the night, I am operating on auto pilot most of the times .
I rinse it with water when possible but the smell is always there . It is not annoying because it is always closed .

Wide moth bottle is a must because of obvious reasons but how wide? Your girth may vary! so choose accordingly.

Puddlefish
01-30-2016, 14:51
Urine is not sterile. That said, yeah, just the wide mouth bottle/shape vs. my smart water bottles for drinking. Empty away from civilization/water sources. Wash the bottle if it smells worse than you. All it takes is a drop of peppermint soap.

Feral Bill
01-30-2016, 15:25
Other options:

The bigger question is this: How to birth a turd in terrible conditions? Nonstop deluge, -10F blizzard with 40mph winds, etc. P

Long ago in the Whites I faced just such a scenario. Windier really, with 0, and I mean 0, visibility. It's amazing how long you can hold it if you have to. After around 36 hours the size of the resulting output was impressive.

ALLEGHENY
01-30-2016, 15:59
One more advantage of being a Hammock Hanger. Hang it over the side. No problem!

MuddyWaters
01-30-2016, 16:08
In the end, you get dribbles on you and gear.
After a few weeks you recognize a smell similar to a homeless mentally ill street person

BO, with a lot of wang to it.

Vegan Packer
01-30-2016, 17:37
I dedicate a receptacle, and use it only for this single purpose. After dumping it in the morning, I add a little water, swish it around, and dump again. I give it a good cleaning after I finish the trip.

MkBibble
01-30-2016, 18:07
Well, I use an apple juice bottle...

Great idea! Then you can offer some apple juice to the loudmouth in the shelter.

tdoczi
01-30-2016, 19:01
Urine is not sterile. That said, yeah, just the wide mouth bottle/shape vs. my smart water bottles for drinking. Empty away from civilization/water sources. Wash the bottle if it smells worse than you. All it takes is a drop of peppermint soap.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/turns-out-urine-isnt-actually-sterile-180954809/?no-ist

fairly new and seemingly rather groundbreaking news, but yes, it seems youre more up to date on urine than i am.

that said, the type and sort of bacteria we seem to be talking about here really dont seem an issue, since it comes from your skin and your skin is already on you.

Heliotrope
01-30-2016, 21:08
After a few weeks you recognize a smell similar to a homeless mentally ill street person

Noooooooooo! Very funny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squeezebox
01-30-2016, 21:33

So what's the difference between you and a homeless mentally ill street person??
Oh Yea!! You're on a trail and not on a street!!

Venchka
01-30-2016, 23:18
Ok. I have to ask.
Just exactly how bad does it have to be outside your tent to prevent you from going outside and not using the bottle?
The answers better be good.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Internet Hiker
01-30-2016, 23:31
So what's the difference between you and a homeless mentally ill street person??

I spent more on my gear.

nsherry61
01-31-2016, 00:05
. . . Just exactly how bad does it have to be outside your tent to prevent you from going outside and not using the bottle? . . .
With practice, the bottle is pretty easy to use and leaves you with a nice warm bed partner for an hour or so. So, to answer you question, if I don't feel like getting outside, I don't bother. If I want to get outside, I do it. If I don't feel like putting my shoes on and it's cold, the weather can be just lovely, and I'll still pee in my bed.

Tipi Walter
01-31-2016, 01:18

The main difference between me and a typical homeless person is that I have much better gear. And yes I used to be homeless and a dumpster diver for 7 years around the small college town of Boone NC from 1980 to 1987. In those years I met many fellow homeless people and I certainly had better gear and walked much further out of town to get into remote forest camps of my choice, while they had to crash in alleys and in town cemeteries and other stealth camps.

Ok. I have to ask.
Just exactly how bad does it have to be outside your tent to prevent you from going outside and not using the bottle?
The answers better be good.

Wayne

Any nonstop rainstorm at 35F is a perfect time to use the pee bottle. Or as mentioned in a -10F windstorm with blowing snow. Or for those with a cantaloupe-sized prostate who take 7 minutes to urinate.

rocketsocks
01-31-2016, 01:22
Once I ran out of paper towels, so I dropped a duce in my pee bottle. Couldn't shake it out so I buried it bottle an all...it was like a little see thru coffin for it.

squeezebox
01-31-2016, 01:28
Once I ran out of paper towels, so I dropped a duce in my pee bottle. Couldn't shake it out so I buried it bottle an all...it was like a little see thru coffin for it.

I did not need to hear that!!

George
01-31-2016, 01:58
I use gatorade water bottles and peel of the label when it gets designated for pee bottle use

Traillium
01-31-2016, 09:57
Or for those with a cantaloupe-sized prostate who take 7 minutes to urinate.

For this very reason, I must try a pee bottle. … Though I'm thinking that's not a great solution in my hammock. … Maybe I'll keep the bigger hammock tarp I'm trying …

Bruce Traillium

hikerhobs
01-31-2016, 10:50
+1 on the Gatorade bottle

Venchka
01-31-2016, 20:13

Nominated for best WhiteBlaze "Truth is Stranger than fiction " & best laugh.

Wayne

Tipi Walter
01-31-2016, 21:15

How did you properly line up your water bottle hole with your Squat Hole? I find this difficult to believe. Most bottle openings are smaller than turd girth.

Sarcasm the elf
01-31-2016, 21:57
I use gatorade water bottles and peel of the label when it gets designated for pee bottle use

It's good that you tear the label off the gatorade bottle, as it would be almost impossible to differentiate the contents based on taste. ;)

Mtsman
02-01-2016, 05:43
One more advantage of being a Hammock Hanger. Hang it over the side. No problem!

+1 for me. I just have to remember which side my shoes are on or bad things happen :)

Venchka
02-01-2016, 09:20
Personal Data Point:
25 degrees + or -
Clear and still.
Exited Tent.
Done.
Bottle not considered.

Wayne

Uncle Joe
02-01-2016, 10:29
I use a 20oz Gatorade bottle. It sucks having to get out of the hammock but I'd be getting up either way. Not sure I'd trust hanging it over the side. Besides, don't want to trample around in it the next day. Funny thing, the last time I camped out it got into the teens. My pee bottle the next day looked like orange juice. Not all of it had frozen and I guess what did gave it this weird, high-pulpy OJ look. Either that or my body had some serious toxins to expel. :eek:

CoolBobby
02-01-2016, 10:34
Bravo. Sheer talent.

Casey & Gina
02-01-2016, 11:22
The main difference between me and a typical homeless person is that I have much better gear. And yes I used to be homeless and a dumpster diver for 7 years around the small college town of Boone NC from 1980 to 1987. In those years I met many fellow homeless people and I certainly had better gear and walked much further out of town to get into remote forest camps of my choice, while they had to crash in alleys and in town cemeteries and other stealth camps.

Interesting; I spent time homeless and dumpster diving too, only for a little more than a year though, and in California about 7 years ago where I imagine the weather is much milder than NC. I would say that the primary difference (in that location anyways) between me and most homeless people was that they were mostly alcoholic or junkies, and spent most of their day begging for money to fund their habits. For me it was more about not having to work full-time in order to keep up with rent. Like you I preferred to hike out into remote camps where I wouldn't be disturbed, but I knew a few others who did the same. One of my more humorous memories is that of a couple that I was friends with getting an eviction notice taped to the door of their Kelty tent that they would leave up during the day, after a ranger found it. I used hammocks then - first a netting one from an Army surplus store, and then later a Hennessey. There were times when I'd leave the hammock up but only when I had a campsite very unlikely to be found. I wonder how many others here can claim to have hammocked 60 feet above the ground in a mesh hammock fixed to a traverse line with prussiks, hahaha (it's safer than it sounds, since I'd use a half-dozen caribiners to clip the hammock to itself at the opening side).

Any nonstop rainstorm at 35F is a perfect time to use the pee bottle. Or as mentioned in a -10F windstorm with blowing snow. Or for those with a cantaloupe-sized prostate who take 7 minutes to urinate.

Valid points...I've never been one to use a pee bottle but a cold rainstorm does make it sound quite agreeable. I don't mind a bit of cold or snow, and fortunately have no issues urinating quickly.

rocketsocks
02-01-2016, 11:58
How did you properly line up your water bottle hole with your Squat Hole? I find this difficult to believe. Most bottle openings are smaller that turd girth.Dead Reckoning :D

rocketsocks
02-01-2016, 12:00
Once I lost my bottle along the trail somewhere and had to go so bad that night I just pee'd in my boot and dumped.

QiWiz
02-01-2016, 16:23
why would you clean a bottle youre just going to pee in again? urine is sterile, not going to hurt you or make you sick or anything if you carry around a dirty bottle.

+1 You can even use a rinsed out pee bottle (or not) to carry water on trail. No health risks at all. Just sayin . . . YMMV

Tipi Walter
02-01-2016, 17:22
Interesting; I spent time homeless and dumpster diving too, only for a little more than a year though, and in California about 7 years ago where I imagine the weather is much milder than NC. I would say that the primary difference (in that location anyways) between me and most homeless people was that they were mostly alcoholic or junkies, and spent most of their day begging for money to fund their habits. For me it was more about not having to work full-time in order to keep up with rent. Like you I preferred to hike out into remote camps where I wouldn't be disturbed, but I knew a few others who did the same. One of my more humorous memories is that of a couple that I was friends with getting an eviction notice taped to the door of their Kelty tent that they would leave up during the day, after a ranger found it. I used hammocks then - first a netting one from an Army surplus store, and then later a Hennessey. There were times when I'd leave the hammock up but only when I had a campsite very unlikely to be found. I wonder how many others here can claim to have hammocked 60 feet above the ground in a mesh hammock fixed to a traverse line with prussiks, hahaha (it's safer than it sounds, since I'd use a half-dozen caribiners to clip the hammock to itself at the opening side).

Valid points...I've never been one to use a pee bottle but a cold rainstorm does make it sound quite agreeable. I don't mind a bit of cold or snow, and fortunately have no issues urinating quickly.

Good story and it somehow relates to peeing into a bottle from inside a tent. Plus, I don't want drivers on the Interstate seeing me whip out my better half and trying to Drain the Codpieced Lizard etc. Ergo the need for an in-tent pee bottle.:)

My homeless camps were completely remote for the most part but I often thought how easy it would've been to leave my tent in the snow and come back later that night. Solution? I started building simple dead-wood-poled tipis wrapped in cheap plastic and left several in the woods around the county.

So, when I postholed thru the snow to these camps at night I didn't have to set up my tent and could just crash with minimal effort, except for the mountain climb to get there. And leave with minimal effort. And yes I actually got an eviction notice from the sheriff's department several years later at one spot.

dudeijuststarted
02-01-2016, 17:41
I prefer to get out of my tent and see all the bears watching intently from the trees

Tipi Walter
02-01-2016, 17:58
I prefer to get out of my tent and see all the bears watching intently from the trees

This reminds me of the time I left my tent and had a terrible two-handed struggle with a very angry pee tube which acted like a 5 tone twirling sound hose and sprayed urine everywhere.

Casey & Gina
02-01-2016, 18:11
This reminds me of the time I left my tent and had a terrible two-handed struggle with a very angry pee tube which acted like a 5 tone twirling sound hose and sprayed urine everywhere.

Hahaha, between the angry turtleheads and now a very angry pee tube this thread is cracking me up!

Venchka
02-01-2016, 22:50
Add another Pro for tents with two large vestibules:
Kitchen/Gear
Latrine

Examples that come to mind:
StratoSpire 1 & 2
Kaitum
Keron
Hilleberg Black Label freestanding models.
The GT models offer a larger kitchen or latrine depending on your needs.
Probably more, but those are the ones that I have lusted over.

Wayne

Wise Old Owl
02-01-2016, 23:09
Other options:
** Squat in your tent vestibule and pee.
** Pee in your cooking pot. Empty, wash out. Cook up dinner. Have a nice day.

The bigger question is this: How to birth a turd in terrible conditions? Nonstop deluge, -10F blizzard with 40mph winds, etc. Place paper towels on tent floor. Squat and release angry turtlehead with an in-tent Deposit into the Special Account, wad up paper towels, place in ziploc for later burying. Light stick of incense. Inhale deeply my friends.

Final option: Squat by tent in snow at 0F. Hook, catch and release Turtlehead. Leave on ground by tent. By morning it will be frozen like a hard olympic discus. Either bury or hurl.

whoa.... can I quote you on this? I think this is a first on WB.

Tipi Walter
02-02-2016, 11:44
whoa.... can I quote you on this? I think this is a first on WB.

I've written extensively on Backpacking and the Turtlehead---the endless struggle with our backcountry Effluvia. Anyone who goes backpacking and keeps a trail journal and who DOES NOT include long essays on Turd Birthings is just not being honest with himself or his readers.

phicker
02-02-2016, 12:17
I went to walgreens and bought a bottle that is design for this purpose very large and very light.And I never mistake it for any thing else.

nsherry61
02-02-2016, 12:26
I went to walgreens and bought a bottle that is design for this purpose very large and very light. . .
Yeah, but a Gatorade or juice bottle is multi-purpose in that it can be used as both a water bottle and a pee bottle.
And, as a, pee bottle, the Gatorade/juice bottles have a tight threaded lid so you can even sleep with them safely after evacuation if you want the warmth to stay inside your bed.
And, if you chose to use the commercial pee bottle as a water bottle . . . yuck, who wants to drink out of their urinal. ;-)

BonBon
02-04-2016, 19:37
For the women- A p-style + a small gatorade bottle = indoor plumbing. Very convenient. Just rinse it all out in the morning. Or don't.