PDA

View Full Version : Dipping....

FFTorched
12-15-2005, 18:22
Does anybody smoke that hikes a lot? I am just curious, I recently quit smoking by switching to dipping. I was wondering if smoking seriously limits other members, I smoked a pack of camel non-filters a day and finally was at the point where walking a 1/4 mile to class was quite the chore, now that I've been dipping for several weeks now I quickly regained my stamina (it was embarrassing because I am a known hiker around school the fat kids would beat me and we wouldn't even be going to the cafeteria).

Yes I have gotten the lecture from girls, family, and friends on how gross this habbit is but I found after I switched the taste of a cigarette so disgusting I can't even finish one.

Lone Wolf
12-15-2005, 19:19
"Dipping" is a wonderful, healthy thing to do do. Maybe I'll start. Hike on.

Uncle Silly
12-15-2005, 19:34
it happens a lot. lots of thru-hikers that i ran into smoked. seemed like close to half the hikers were regular smokers. rolling tobacco and papers seemed to be the form of choice (cheaper, a pouch lasts longer than a pack of pre-rolled, and less trash -- no fiberglass butts!), although there were several pipes and regular cigarette smokers and even a guy who liked to light up a small cigar once in a while.

some folks only smoked at camp; most smoked on break; the crazy ones lit up while walking.

i hiked with some folks who did the dip once in a while, but it was hard for them to find in PA and NY and was more expensive. you might consider having someone mail-drop you some dip, if that's what you want, especially once you get up north.

that all said, you won't get far if you're smoking a pack of unfiltereds a day. but if you're focused on the hike you'll probably find yourself cutting back pretty quick.

hey Jester, what was that Billville chant? i heard it at Trail Days ... something about "we've all got lighters, but we don't all have cigarettes"? and "head? who said head?"

rickb
12-15-2005, 20:19
"Dipping" is a wonderful, healthy thing to do do. Maybe I'll start. Hike on.

Why not? Since you don't use Lekis you'll have a hand free for a LNT spit cup.

FFTorched
12-16-2005, 01:12
you might consider having someone mail-drop you some dip, if that's what you want, especially once you get up north.

Oh I'm from PA I know all about the high prices. My friends and I are pretty big hicks we call eachother when we find good deals on dip and where to go to get them. You know your a hick when your friend calls you at work excited like he just climbed out of bed with Heather Locklear just to say the guy at the gas station screwed up and gave him a roll of dip and only charged him for one.:D

Nean
12-16-2005, 01:48
I was lucky, my first dip came after a big dinner, which included 3 bean salad, 2 of which, later that evening, became lodged in my nose. I never dipped again and my Dad got a good laugh.

Mouse
12-16-2005, 09:00
It might get you a shelter all to yourself. Having to be around that stuff was one of the few things about Army life that I truly loathed.

weary
12-16-2005, 09:30
The puzzle is why young people deliberately addict themselves to substances promoted and sold with the help of lies by companies so evil that they deliberately consign millions to horrible sickness and early deaths for the sake of profits.

kyhipo
12-16-2005, 09:40
famous quote by my nephews and nieces Uncle jim dont give us no lip:) ,I smoke and I am down to 2-3 a day and have always smoked and hiked,but neither one is really good for you,I noticed that quitting the other funny tobbacco really has helped my hikes,by the way I have big lips so putting in some dip would really expand my horizon on the lip area:cool: ky

Seeker
12-16-2005, 11:25
the crazy ones lit up while walking.

one of my ROTC instructors back in 1983 was an extremely fit green beret vietnam veteran. he used to run 5 miles before coming to PT (physical training) with us in the mornings... there he'd be, smoking while doing his situps, pushups, jumping jacks... then he'd go and run another 3-4 miles with us... and then light up again as soon as we'd finished... i don't know how he did it...

Jester2000
12-21-2005, 06:05
hey Jester, what was that Billville chant? i heard it at Trail Days ... something about "we've all got lighters, but we don't all have cigarettes"? and "head? who said head?"

Well, as to the first line, it is from a poem I wrote entitled "Can I Bum a Cigarette." Maybe I'll post it on whiteblaze someday, but I don't want to encourage the poetry thing. Here's a quick one I wrote to explain why:

I've been to Trail Days and Gatherings and Rucks,
And one thing I've learned is trail poetry sucks.

The second quote is from a chant given to us by Sloetoe, and is originally, I think, some sort of rugby thing. And of course, it being Billville, we've perverted it and made it our own.

By the by, I smoke, and I know I shouldn't.

Tinker
12-21-2005, 16:01
back in 1981. I used Skoal (man, I can't even remember how to spell it - I think that's right) to quit, as well as Copenhagen (I tried using it as snuff, but it burned my nose out!)

Realistically, for health's sake, consider trying to give up dipping (or "taking a rub") once you're over smoking. I haven't done either since about 1988.

I don't miss it now.

Save your spending money for beer - something friends will be glad to share with you!:jump

Topcat
12-21-2005, 16:31
I just quit dipping Coppenhagen after using it for 28 years and it was hard. Everyone i talk to says it is harder than quitting smoking. You may think you downgraded your addiction but it may have been a major upgrade. Funny but true story, while i was in Peace Corps, my mother sent me 4 tins of Cope a month, then, one month, instead of my tobbaco supply, there was a Reader's digest with a story of some high school kid who was disfigured and died of Mouth Cancer. I had a major panic attack, started smoking and sent a letter to Grandma. Thank God my grandmother quickly became my supplier as there wasnt any chewing tobbaco anywhere in the country within a day's drive. I really loved my grandma...:-)

Newb
12-23-2005, 13:59
I took up smoking just so I could have the shelters to myself. :)

BooBoo
12-24-2005, 00:56

I'll take some of that! I did and it was good!:jump

little bear
12-24-2005, 02:44
I stopped smoking and started dipping and stopped dipping now i feel great no nicotine in the body
Happy Hikes
Little Bear

sarbar
12-25-2005, 16:59
Lets see.....you got lectures from everybody near you, but you still want someone to say it is ok?

Blech...dipping is SO freaking nasty! Why, oh why would anyone willingly start it? Gum cancer? Tongue cancer? Gum disease? Yellow teeth? Yum! Oh now that is SEXY!

As an exsmoker, I can say, sure it is hard to quit-but it isn't THAT hard! Just do it, and know you are treating your body the way it should be treated!

TOW
12-25-2005, 20:48
i just watched a program on dateline talking about the lesser of two evils, dipping is said by the pro's to be a whole lot less harmful........i dip, i've been dipping since i first set foot on the trail,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

weary
12-25-2005, 22:36
...As an exsmoker, I can say, sure it is hard to quit-but it isn't THAT hard! Just do it, and know you are treating your body the way it should be treated!
I agree 100 percent. I smoked. I quit. It only took me three years of agony.

Weary

Wonder
12-26-2005, 17:31
Far as I"m concerned....the hike is gonna be one hell of a way to go cold turkey!

betic4lyf
12-26-2005, 18:25
dipping is gross. as a non smoker even smoking seems gross, but dipping doesnt even look cool:cool: if you are gonna smoke smoke cigars.

smokymtnsteve
12-26-2005, 19:01
dipping is gross. as a non smoker even smoking seems gross, but dipping doesnt even look cool:cool: if you are gonna smoke smoke cigars.

yea a fine CUBAN cigar..

oh wait U can't legally buy cuban cigars in Amerika.

and thier coffee is great too.

also Cuba's Infant mortality rate is lower than amerika's

and thier life expectancy is Longer!

sarbar
12-26-2005, 19:08
Far as I"m concerned....the hike is gonna be one hell of a way to go cold turkey!
By the time they are 100 miles into it they won't miss it-UNLESS!!-they hang out with smokers that first 100 miles ;) The last time I smoked a cigarette was Febuary, 1997. I had found out I was pregant with my son-I was 5 weeks along. I sat in the parking lot of the Dr's office-had one last one, crushed it out-and threw the rest away. Now that was cold turkey! Never have missed it either-consider how much more spare cash one has for gear ;)

Oh yeah...and for guys who dip-when girls say it is gross, they mean it! Ask yourself, would you french kiss a female who dipped? Didn't think so!

Dances with Mice
12-26-2005, 19:46
yea a fine CUBAN cigar.. oh wait U can't legally buy cuban cigars in Amerika. and thier coffee is great too. also Cuba's Infant mortality rate is lower than amerika's and thier life expectancy is Longer!Why that must be why so many Americans are risking their lives to get to Cuba on makeshift boats!

Know how to fit 15 Cubans into a matchbox?

weary
12-26-2005, 19:47
yea a fine CUBAN cigar..

oh wait U can't legally buy cuban cigars in Amerika.

and thier coffee is great too.

also Cuba's Infant mortality rate is lower than amerika's

and their life expectancy is Longer!
True, but sad. We have the potential to remain the leading nation of the world. Sadly, our politics have been taken over by the ignorant, the dumb, and the bigoted.

Weary

FFTorched
12-26-2005, 20:35
I smoked a cuban once. It wasn't that good, but it got me buzzed as hell. I prefer Honduran or Dominican cigars.

betic4lyf
12-26-2005, 21:29
i am really impressed that you spell America with a k. I hate america and i feel that by spelling it with a k i am showing that i feel that the american government is like the klan in its opresive way of forcefully keeping down minorities. Or Not. America isnt perfect, but instead of whining on the sidelines, do somthing about it. don't complain about how oppresive the american government is, when we have some of the most extensive civil liberties around. The riots in france highlited that europe is not quite so accepting of minorities as was once was thought. I think it is a problem that needs to be dealt with, but pointing fingers simply denies the problems. Ghettos in this country are their because rich people say NIMBY. I am no right wing republican either, and am dowright scared about bush's phone taps. i guess you could call me a libertarian:)

Newb
12-27-2005, 09:20
True, but sad. We have the potential to remain the leading nation of the world. Sadly, our politics have been taken over by the ignorant, the dumb, and the bigoted.

Weary

Yep. Those liberals have got to go.

Lone Wolf
12-27-2005, 09:24
i am really impressed that you spell America with a k. I hate america and i feel that by spelling it with a k i am showing that i feel that the american government is like the klan in its opresive way of forcefully keeping down minorities. Or Not. America isnt perfect, but instead of whining on the sidelines, do somthing about it. don't complain about how oppresive the american government is, when we have some of the most extensive civil liberties around. The riots in france highlited that europe is not quite so accepting of minorities as was once was thought. I think it is a problem that needs to be dealt with, but pointing fingers simply denies the problems. Ghettos in this country are their because rich people say NIMBY. I am no right wing republican either, and am dowright scared about bush's phone taps. i guess you could call me a libertarian:)
You hate America? Then ***ing leave.

Fiddler
12-27-2005, 17:51
I hate america :)

In America we have wonderful freedoms some of the rest of the world only dreams about. One of those freedoms is that anyone can leave it and take up permanent residence in whatever other country will accept them. You can exercise this freedom whenever you choose. Why not now?

betic4lyf
12-28-2005, 14:11
that little OR NOT phrase in there was key. If you had read on, and finnished what i had written, you would have understood that i was using a devie called sarcasm. i was exagerating an opinion diffrent from mine in an effort to make it seem perposterous, and therefore disprove it. Finish reading my posts.

Old Spice
12-28-2005, 14:36
The puzzle is why young people deliberately addict themselves to substances promoted and sold with the help of lies by companies so evil that they deliberately consign millions to horrible sickness and early deaths for the sake of profits.

pony. just kidding. i am trying to quit smoking... again.

btw... one time my friend andre told me that i smoke too much. in reply i told him that he masterbated too much. he got this sheepish look and turned red and never spoke to me again. wow, talk about someone with guilty secrets.

Seeker
12-28-2005, 14:50
By the time they are 100 miles into it they won't miss it-UNLESS!!-they hang out with smokers that first 100 miles ;) The last time I smoked a cigarette was Febuary, 1997. I had found out I was pregant with my son-I was 5 weeks along. I sat in the parking lot of the Dr's office-had one last one, crushed it out-and threw the rest away. Now that was cold turkey! Never have missed it either-consider how much more spare cash one has for gear ;)

Oh yeah...and for guys who dip-when girls say it is gross, they mean it! Ask yourself, would you french kiss a female who dipped? Didn't think so!

one of my female coworkers dips... some men find it attractive. she's different, that's for sure... and some of the locals go for that... what's foxworthy's comment? if your grandmother keeps a spit cup on her ironing board, you might be a redneck... well, i'm amongst them... ewww...

sirbingo
06-19-2006, 10:47
My opnly experience is with chewing tobbaco, not snuff, but one problem might be needing to carry more water cuz you have to spit so much...

WileyBruin
06-25-2006, 20:57
Here's an alternative. Its called Snus. (Pronounced sn-ooo-s) Its only available from Sweden (www.northerner.com). Its not processed as heavily as dip or cigarette tobacco and has been shown to be far less carcinogenic (of course its still tobacco). But here's the great part... NO SPITTING. Its placed under the upper lip rather than the lower and because there's no american @$$-hole tobacco companies putting fiberglass shards in it to cut the lip, it doesn't stimulate salivation. And even with shipping much cheaper than american chewing tobacco or dip.... Comes in pouches or loose, but be sure to buy a portioner if you buy it loose as its hard to pack down.

I use it from time to time. If you decide to try it I recomend the following brand/flavor (there are lots of choices. Match Dry Eucalyptus (24g if you are already a tobacco user, 6g if this is a first for you)

Just curious, anyone else ever used it? I meet very few people who've even heard of it.

Heater
06-26-2006, 07:14
Here's an alternative. Its called Snus. (Pronounced sn-ooo-s) Its only available from Sweden (www.northerner.com) (http://www.northerner.com)). Just curious, anyone else ever used it? I meet very few people who've even heard of it.

I am pretty sure I saw it in a covienience store yesterday. Next time I go ther I'll tell ya for sure. It was in a neon looking futuristic display.

WileyBruin
06-26-2006, 08:48
Yeah, it may be moving over here as it gains popularity because when i checked northerner.com recently, Lucky Strike brand had begun making it. Still, I would swear by only genuine Swedish-made...

Krewzer
06-26-2006, 09:16

I tried to quit on a week hike once. Left them behind, would be clean in a week...maybe less.

Didn't work for me. All I could think about was cigarettes...as in "CIGARETTES!!!"..."I WANT A CIGARETTE!!!"..."I NEED A CIGARETTE!!!"..."I'M GOING TO KILL THE NEXT SMOKER I MEET AND STEAL HIS OR HER CIGARETTES!!!"

Don't wait, quit at home, enjoy the mountains as a free person.

You can do this. Focus! Overcome!

TIDE-HSV
06-29-2006, 23:59
of women and oral tobacco brought back a 25-year old memory. I was in Denver in winter on a business trip and managed to sneak in a couple of days of skiing at Winter Park. I ended up at a motel on the lower end of town, upper floor, and was intrigued to find that the U of WY female ski team was occupying all the other rooms. They were all cute blondes. They hauled out their skis and propped one end over the railing and the other end over a chair and proceeded to tune them. The entire time, they spat over the rail, making little yellow round spots in the snow below. My interest melted away like the snow did. If there's anything worse to imagine than second-hand smoke, it's second-hand "chaw."

Topcat
06-30-2006, 19:07
myself and all my roommates in college dipped Copenhagen. One night we were at a little bar in Morgantown West Virginia where there was dancing and music, standing next to the ladies room (because even the good looking women have to go there). We had just put in fresh dips when this very nice looking young lady came up and asked our friend Goozer to dance. Not one to waste an opportunity, he gladly accepted, keeping his chew in ( it was fresh of course). Well, the fast dance turned into a slow dance and as we watched, Goozer and this young lady began to kiss. As the song ended, they came walking back towards us and it was hard not to notice that this young lady was now a lovely shade of green. She disappeared into the bathroom and we could see gooze exploring his lower lip with his tongue.

He looked at us and said "Damn, i think she stole my chew...." Dont know if i have ever laughed as hard since.

norfamericana
08-07-2006, 19:00
dipping is super gross - but at least the effect isnt smoke going into my lungs