PDA

View Full Version : trail running shoes

GritzMEGA
02-01-2016, 00:21
I am looking to buy some new trail runners. I am stuck between Altra or Brooks. On my thru-hike I made some Merell Moabs last 1500 miles. So I thought, "I will buy another pair". Next pair fell apart fron one section hike. So I tried Solomon and they tore my feet up. So I'm looking for the fit of Moabs yet I want some durability. Any advice?

MuddyWaters
02-01-2016, 08:32
Order and try as many shoes as possible from place with free shipping/return shipping like zappos and running warehouse.

Running warehouse will refund you credit if you return after using as well.

kimbur96
02-01-2016, 08:57
Altras have a zero drop sole which means they are basically flat like your feet naturally are. If you have not used zero drop shoes before they recommend a transition period for your foot to get used to them. I switched to altra's from saucony kinavara's which are only a 4mm drop so it wasn't a huge switch for me and I had no issues. Altra's have a roomy natural toe box that I do well in. Brooks can have up to 14mm drop. I have never run in brooks but a lot of people really like them. Just know they are very different in how your foot sits.
Your best bet, Like Muddy said is order as many styles as you can/want try them out. Get some miles in them and see what is really going to work for you. My first set of Altra's I bought from them online and used there size calculator coming from saucony, i wore them for a 5 mile run and knew they were to small for how I like to wear my shoes and sent them back for a 1/2 size larger.
Good luck

bemental
02-01-2016, 09:28
Order and try as many shoes as possible from place with free shipping/return shipping like zappos and running warehouse.

Running warehouse will refund you credit if you return after using as well.

I went into an outdoors shop locally that has a wide selection of shoes and tried on every pair they had. Guy helping me out didn't care because he was on the clock, and was genuine about helping me find the right shoes for me feet.

Also an option.

soumodeler
02-01-2016, 09:50
Go find a good outfitter and start there. Mount Rogers Outfitters has a good reputation and is reasonably close to you.

aruthenb
02-04-2016, 07:39
I am a fairly avid trail & road runner and used to run trails in Brooks Cascadias for several years. They were a good shoe but you can see from reviews they have had many recent quality issues over the last 2-3 models, some of the issues include the bottom soles separating and holes starting in the toebox outside. I switched to Altra Lone Peak 2 years ago and will never go back.

Altras have a very large toebox and are built on the premise that as your foot lands, the toes naturally want to spread apart. I have not had any blister issues and run several ultra-trail races at 50k and above distances. If you are just looking to use mainly hiking, the zero drop platform will not be an issue, it is more prominent when running distance (mainly on the road). Trail terrain varies so much you will never notice the difference between 0 and 10 mm of drop.

Altra is also releasing a new Mid-Hiker shoe this summer with Neoshell designed especially for hiking. I can't wait to get these and use just for hiking. Until then, my Lone Peak Altras do a great job whether I am trail running or hiking. As others have said, go to an outfitter or trail running store and try them on. Most running stores have treadmills and you can vary the incline to see what they feel like uphill and downhill (like most trails are)! Best of luck and hope you find what works for you!

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151202006496/en/Altra-Footwear-Continues-Innovation-All-New-Spikes-Mid-Hiker

MuddyWaters
02-04-2016, 08:16
Most important is fit.

Unless you really are clueless, only you know if a shoe fits you well. A salesperson cannot tell by looking, and offers nothing but an annoying presence. There is also few stores that carry enough shoes and have every size.

Order shoes, try them, WEAR THEM AROUND HOUSE FOR 30 MIN. Put them on the next day and do same. And day after that. You will figure out what you like and dislike. Many people spend 10 minutes in store, think its good , then hate them on trail. An almost imperceptible annoyance at first, can turn into a major problem.

It seems like theres a lot of shoes out there. There isnt if you are picky. Theres very few worth buying.

What I look for:

Flat insole. Seriously, shoes like saucony have sole tilted to one side under arch. This is absurd and wont work with a flat bottomed insole like orthotic or superfeet,etc. Well it might, until you have a problem from fighting the fact you foot is constanrlt tilted a few degrees. Oh yeah, try them with any intended items like this.

Aggressive deep tread. This alone eliminates 90% of trail shoes. Unless you want to replace every 200 miles like they expect runners to. Runners are treated like atm's by shoe mfgs. Im talking about 3/16-1/4 " deep tread. 1/8" dont cut it for hiking hundereds of miles on rocks.

Some kind of rock plate is good, but not necessary. Usually inneffective.

Snug heel, snug midfoot, loose roomy toes from ball of big toe forward. Free unconfined toes. When your shoes get loaded with dust , not a big problem on AT but is huge out west, the dirt will act like sandpaper and rub toes raw if they contact anything,......including each other.

Breatheable open mesh. Seems counter intuitive to dust proble above, but heat buildup and sweaty feet softens skin and will cause worse problems. You should feel breezes blow thru toes, literally. The dirt is then handled by rinsing socks out when needed , which is never on AT and every 10 miles out west.

Toes dont rub on roof of toe box. Seriously, la sportiva would have great shoes if they didnt build insanely shallow toebox. If your toes rub the roof, it will constantly irritate you. Toes should be free and roomy, not rubbing on anything.

Minimal to moderate cushioning and stack height. I like to feel trail surface under foot. The more your foot conforms, the more agile you are too. Your feet get used to it.

Low height, rubbing under ankle or high on heel is bad. Shoes should be shallow depth

Light weight. 14 oz is about max per shoe. Current shoes are 10 oz.

Protective rand around toes.

Laces......flat laces are horrible. They are light, but dont hold a position. They tighten too easily, the whole foot. You cant cobtrol the tightness of toes independently. Once my forefoot tightness is right, I dont want it changing everytime I put on shoes and tie them. Fortunately you can replace with nice round position holding laces, so do it when you try shoes on. Also can need to experiment wirh different ways of lacing to make a given shoe the most comfortable. This stuff just isnt possible in store with a salesman there. It can take hours.

Comfortable. Change insoles. Add insoles. Doublestack insoles. Whatever it takes. Ive taken worn packed out insoles , the kind molded to foot with no cushioning left under big toe, and put them over new insole in shoe. Little extra cushion, and custom fit to foot. Works great to take up volume in shoes made for people with higher volume feet.

It can take 6 months to find shoes you like. Realize they will be discontinued or changed every year. If you really like one after a coupke hundred miles, buy $500 worth.

kimbur96
02-04-2016, 10:19
Altra is also releasing a new Mid-Hiker shoe this summer with Neoshell designed especially for hiking. I can't wait to get these and use just for hiking. Until then, my Lone Peak Altras do a great job whether I am trail running or hiking. As others have said, go to an outfitter or trail running store and try them on. Most running stores have treadmills and you can vary the incline to see what they feel like uphill and downhill (like most trails are)! Best of luck and hope you find what works for you!

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20151202006496/en/Altra-Footwear-Continues-Innovation-All-New-Spikes-Mid-Hiker

I have been running in Lone peaks for the last year and love them. I didn't know about the new mid-hiker they will be releasing, I'll be anxious to see and try it out.

Huli
02-04-2016, 11:52
I am using the Altras now. They are great for running. Would not wear them for hiking. The rubber compound of the sole is too soft. I have a few hundred miles on them, will be replacing with the same.

RockDoc
02-04-2016, 14:29
People who haven't hiked or run much underestimate the amount of length they need in a hard working walking shoe or trail running shoe. When I started trail running in 2003 I bought a 10 1/2 shoe the same size as my street shoes, big mistake. Now I just buy 12 1/2 and they fit great. So if there's any question, go at least 1/2 size larger, your feet lengthen during a long day of hiking.

aruthenb
02-04-2016, 14:38
People who haven't hiked or run much underestimate the amount of length they need in a hard working walking shoe or trail running shoe. When I started trail running in 2003 I bought a 10 1/2 shoe the same size as my street shoes, big mistake. Now I just buy 12 1/2 and they fit great. So if there's any question, go at least 1/2 size larger, your feet lengthen during a long day of hiking.

This is such a great point. During a Marathon an average person's foot swells by 1/2 a shoe size. Hiking day after day has the same affect but can go beyond that. A tight shoe will only get worse as the miles go along.