PDA

View Full Version : Very short shakedown hike

CedarKeyHiker
02-01-2016, 10:05
I am going to be driving with a friend to Nashville in the middle of March. We'll be passing near the southern terminus of the Trail. I'd like to take the opportunity to complete a overnight hike that will allow me to get some idea of how I and my gear will perform when I take off in earnest in the beginning of April. I need advice from experienced AT hikers on a good drop off and pick up point(s) that will allow me to get a vigorous workout and test my gear in a short time. I'd like to spend more time on the Trail but I can't. It's an opportunity I cannot pass up. I'm 58, and an experienced flatland hiker. (I've been training on every hill and long stairway in North Central Florida.) I also have better than average outdoor skills. Thank you in advance for your replies.

Tractor
02-01-2016, 10:22
Sounds like you will be on I24 between Nashville and Chattanooga then. Perhaps google Savage Gulf or Fiery Gizzard and see if any of those trails may be of interest for an overnighter?

BobTheBuilder
02-01-2016, 10:30
I was going to suggest the AT Approach Trail, but it would probably be tough to find a campsite on top of Springer in the middle of March. Still, parking at Amicalola is simple and secure, the 8.8 miles is a good day for a beginner, and you could skip agonizing about including the Approach Trail in April.

CedarKeyHiker
02-01-2016, 10:33
Tractor, we are headed up I-75. It's a little off our course but we will be close enough to Springer Mountain and the vicinity to start there. We'll cut over in Chattanooga. I will look up both of those suggestions for the trip back. Thanks...I also probably should have mentioned my traveling companion will not be hiking with me. I am going to take advantage of our friendship and ask him to do the shuttling...

Gambit McCrae
02-01-2016, 10:34
I was going to suggest the AT Approach Trail, but it would probably be tough to find a campsite on top of Springer in the middle of March. Still, parking at Amicalola is simple and secure, the 8.8 miles is a good day for a beginner, and you could skip agonizing about including the Approach Trail in April.

This is a good plan, the approach is all but straight up all the way to Springer, I remember two small inclined on the way down the approach sobo. Since it is a 1 nighter I don't see a reason to get a shuttle I would just do an out and back from the visitor center. Camping wise there are many spots on top of springer to camp, as well as a site on the summit, if all is full, you could go ahead and back track down the approach as there are spots you will see along the way

Uncle Joe
02-01-2016, 10:43
There are several options if you're thinking the AT. The approach is a good one. You could always start at Springer and head north to any number of crossroads. Were you thinking of something other than the AT? There are some things close to I-75. The Pinhoti, for instance, crosses I-75, albeit over the road but the West section is very close to the interstate in Dalton or the Eastern side isn't terribly far in Chatsworth. There's also the Benton MacKaye which goes as far West as the Big Frog Wilderness, East of Chattanooga.

CedarKeyHiker
02-02-2016, 14:32
Thank you for the excellent suggestions. I will do the approach and get picked up on one of the crossroads past Sprnger. I've got to do a night out. I have a longer shakedown hike planned for the middle of this month. Unfortunately there's only so many hills in the Sunshine state. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Viking
02-02-2016, 14:57
You will be hitting the start of the Big Crowd around mid March. So I would avoid the AT. I would probably suggest relocating to the BMT. You will see less traffic on it than the AT, and you can pick it up from Springer Mtn to Ocoee River very easily.

You can also hit various sections of the Cumberland Trail or Prentice Forrest. Fiery Gizzard in the Savage Gulf area as well.

The trail sections of the GA Pinhoti is another option.