PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania trail conditions

backtrack213
02-01-2016, 10:06
I'm planning a short section hike in Pennsylvania between February 15-20. I was wondering how the trail conditions are in terms of snow if anybody has been on trail there recently.

Tennessee Viking
02-01-2016, 10:44
I have a buddy in Waynesboro. He was reporting 3-4' snow drifts in town about a week ago.

Slo-go'en
02-01-2016, 11:19
It's been pretty warm since the big snow and a lot of rain is coming for tomorrow, then it's gonna get cold again. Unless it warms up next week, I'd expect it to be pretty icy at the least, very soggy at the best. A lot can change in two weeks this time of year, so your really not going to know what you'll find until you get there.

Angle
02-01-2016, 12:54
What section will you be doing. South of Pine Grove Furnace usually has more snow that the central part of the state. Have not been on the AT, but on the trails in our local park the snow is melting fast and will pretty much be gone by Wed. evening with the rain forecasted. Check back next Friday if you want an update.
Iceman

Brer Sam
02-01-2016, 14:49
When would be a good time to start North from Boiling Springs?

Slo-go'en
02-01-2016, 16:35

Mid to late April, but I wouldn't start there unless you absolutely had to for some compelling reason. That's the start of the dreaded 20 mile Cumberland valley crossing. It would be a rather tedious way to start a hike for the first day out. It used to be a 20 mile road walk (which actually wasn't too bad), but now it's a combination of road walks and crossing farm fields.

Angle
02-01-2016, 16:51
It is only 14.3 miles from Boiling Springs to the Darlington shelter and about as easy of a stroll as it gets, until the short climb to the shelter.

Studlintsean
02-01-2016, 17:29

I hiked from PA94 (Mt Holly Springs) to Duncannon last January and the climb down into Duncannon was very treacherous with ice. I would pack Microspikes if you are going soon.

Malto
02-01-2016, 18:38
As of right now there will be major snow. I live in the valley below and there is still over a foot of very wet and slushy snow. We are expecting rain and very warm temps this week. At elevation it is a question whether it will melt out or just consolidate to ice.

backtrack213
02-02-2016, 10:55
I will be starting at the 501 shelter heading north to Delaware water gap.

lwhikerchris
02-03-2016, 22:10
It's slushy here now. But we just had rain so a some of the trail is a sopping wet mess, some is ice, and some still has a foot of snow on it. The footing is slippery so spikes would probably help.

gwb
02-06-2016, 12:27
Hiked from Route 501 to Route 183 yesterday. We have had warmer temps and some rain in the last few days, that combined with melting snow has everything pretty muddy and slick. Overall not too bad considering the winter storm that came through here 2 weeks ago. This week the weather is going to be a little cooler and maybe some snow/rain Monday or Tuesday. This time of year is so hard to predict and can change quite a bit from one week to the next.
Have a good hike. Slow and steady wins the race over PA rocks.

Wilbo
02-08-2016, 11:41
I was at the Southern end of Pa. ( Deer Lick Shelters to Pa.233) yesterday
and the trail was clear with very little snow. A little muddy, but my feet
stayed dry the entire hike. There is snow expected Mon-Weds this week.

biggcarl
02-08-2016, 22:12
I was just at the 501 2-6. Trail was packed snow/ice mostly. We're expecting more snow this week. Temps this coming weekend at the 501 are going to be highs in the single digits and lows into the -. Definitely going to need spikes.

Malto
02-08-2016, 22:36
It's snowing right now. But go a bit north and there's none. I did the Chuck Keiper Trail Friday evening and Saturday. Just a dusting on the ground. If you are open to getting off the AT there is equal if not better hiking just northwest of Williamsport.

ki0eh
02-10-2016, 16:50
About 6" of new snow in Swatara Gap area with cold snap expected through Presidents Day weekend.