PDA

View Full Version : tent footprint

snicklefitz
02-01-2016, 20:48
Hi, I'm curious what everones opinions are about carrying a footprint for a tent. I've heard some don't use them. I'm doing a thruhike and I have a mountain hardwear meridian 2 tent I'm going to use.

Just curious.
Snick

MuddyWaters
02-01-2016, 21:04
If you are going to carry a 4.5 lb tent, Id say you are the perfect candidate to also carry a footprint:D

Honestly, not needed.

You will ditch the footprint and buy a lighter tent most likely by Hot Springs

Why? Because you will likey sleep in shelters most of the time, and carrying 5 lbs for nothing....sucks.

The Cleaner
02-01-2016, 21:05
I use a footprint not so much to protect from sharp objects but from the mud that comes from a used campsite or where my body heat thaws the ground a bit and that makes a mess too.Much easier to clean the footprint than the tent.Anyone doing a thru hike in the last few seasons could possibly set up your tent where someone else left a fresh loaf slightly covered.:eek:

garlic08
02-02-2016, 09:42
My experience is that it's better to pack up and carry one wet thing than two wet things. This also means taking a bit of care in site selection, staying out of the mud (and worse, apparently).

Casey & Gina
02-02-2016, 15:54
What matters more to you?

1. Extending the life and waterproofness of the floor of your tent (and therefore, your tent overall), keeping mud off the main tent body, and with some tents, easier pitching ability or a separation from the ground in the vestibule (see below for details), or
2. Lighter pack weight?

If you're going to think of you tent as something you buy just for your thru-hike and expect it to be worn out and quite possibly trashed by the end of it, then 2 is your logical choice. If you value the lightest load possible, then 2 is your logical choice. If you want a tent that will live on for more backpacking after your thru and remain comfortable for a longer period, or generally care about taking care of your gear, 1 is the logical choice.

You also have to consider your individual tent, it's footprint design, and how it interfaces with the rest of the tent. Also how thick/durable is the floor of your tent without the footprint?

I favor 1, and always factor in the footprint weight when considering tent purchases. When I used a Big Agnes Scout UL2, it really helped with pitching, because it was a lot easier to have ONLY the footprint out and get it's 4 corners staked down before getting out the tent which then fit over the same pegs. In wind this was a nice benefit. In rain this process of staking out the footprint first helped keep the tent dry. When I do winter camping with my Hilleberg Keron, the footprint is great to have because it adds a floor to the vestibules. This gives me a dry clean place to set my gear, and reduces condensation from ground moisture. I can easily unclip it from one end and roll it up should I wish to have the ground exposed, e.g. for cooking. Aside from these tent-specific advantages, in ANY tent the footprint is a separate component that can get dirty and be detached from the rest of the tent when packing up should you wish to keep the main tent body cleaner.

In either my Hilleberg Anjan or Keron, if it's nasty weather out, I can step out into a vestibule, unclip the dry inner tent from the outer tent, pack it away in a dry place in my pack, then detach the footprint and pack it up (likely wet and muddy) into it's own place, then lastly pack up the wet outer tent and poles. Or I can leave the wet footprint and outer tent attached together, only taking care to pack away the clean and dry inner tent in a safe place. Then when I'm ready to pitch my tent again, the outer tent may still be wet, the footprint may still be a muddy mess, but I can reverse the disassembly process and end up putting my clean, completely dry inner tent in last. In any tent, I feel better about any sharp rocks or sticks that may have inadvertently or by necessity ended up under the tent, and feel more confident that the bathtub floor of the tent isn't going to start leaking in water from the ground.

At the same time, many people successfully use their tents for an entire thru hike without a footprint, so you don't need one - they are a luxury item that you may feel is worth the weight for the advantages...

Vegan Packer
02-02-2016, 16:12
It is a lot easier to clean the footprint on the trail and then give the tent a simple cleaning when I get home. I go with a footprint.

colorado_rob
02-02-2016, 19:52
Maybe a thousand total nights in a tent in 45 years (no exaggeration), never used a footprint, so far so good. Of course my tents 30+ years ago were canvas...

Anyway, if you absolutely must waste money on a footprint, at least get an Ultralight one, which also turns out to be dirt cheap, get a two-pack of Gossamer Gear polycro footprints for 10 bucks and cut to size (slightly smaller than tent bottom, an inch or two in on all sides).

So instead of, for example, getting one of these for 70 bucks that weighs 4 ounces:

http://www.rei.com/product/895995/big-agnes-fly-creek-hv-ul2-footprint?cm_mmc=cse_PLA_GOOG-_-8959950001&CAWELAID=120217890001738099&lsft=cm_mmc:cse_PLA_GOOG

Get two of these that weigh 1.6 ounces for 5 bucks each:

http://gossamergear.com/polycryo-tent-ground-sheets-protection.html

lonehiker
02-02-2016, 20:39
I quit using a footprint about a decade ago after reading a post from Mr. Lone Wolf. I show reasonable prudence in site selection but don't obsess about it and don't really think that my tents' floors are any worse for not using one. As mentioned earlier, it is just one more item to have to carry (often times wet). As to the getting muddy part, once dry it seems as if most of the dirt simply falls off so no big deal. When the trip is finished I spot wash with a damp cloth, dry thoroughly and store.

Slo-go'en
02-02-2016, 23:05
I find the footprint or ground cloth to be a multipurpose thing, so I carry one.

nsherry61
02-02-2016, 23:26
. . . if you absolutely must waste money on a footprint, at least get an Ultralight one, which also turns out to be dirt cheap, get a two-pack of Gossamer Gear polycro footprints for 10 bucks and cut to size . . .
I totally disagree. If you are going to waste your money on a footprint, stay away from the polycryo stuff because it's so damn slippery you'll have to stake down your tent when otherwise you wouldn't. Just waste your money outright on the heavy, custom made footprint to slow you down from the extra weight so I can pass you on the trail easier.

In the end, footprints surely increase the life of your tent floor if your tent floor is the part of your tent that is going to wear out before anything else. Most people probably replace their tents because of UV damage to the fly or tent body or because older urethane coatings "rot" or just because new technology makes you want to newer, lighter, better tent, so the old one is designated to the backup or loaner gear pile.

Let's get real here, most tents don't end their life because the floor wears out. And, a hole in the floor is easy enough to fix that protecting it with a footprint is, for the most part, pretty silly. Maybe we should also all start wearing rain jackets over our rain jackets to protect our rain jackets from wearing out or getting holes in them? ;-)

QiWiz
02-03-2016, 12:35
Hi, I'm curious what everyone's opinions are about carrying a footprint for a tent. I've heard some don't use them. Just curious. Snick

I would not carry the weight of a footprint, but rather pick my sites carefully and clear away sharp objects before setting up.
That said, I would carry a tarp rather than a tent and use a lightweight groundsheet like one made from polycro film (shrink-wrap plastic).
You really want to go lighter when you can easily do so.

daddytwosticks
02-03-2016, 17:32
The factory footprint for my Hubba NX1 allows me to set the tent up fly-first in the rain. This alone is the main reason I carry the weight of the footprint. Yes, I could probably cobble together something lighter with drop-cloth plastic and grommets to serve the same purpose, but I'm lazy. :)

dudeijuststarted
02-03-2016, 17:36
Used a footprint for the fly creek. No regrets.

nsherry61
02-03-2016, 18:01
The factory footprint for my Hubba NX1 allows me to set the tent up fly-first in the rain. This alone is the main reason I carry the weight of the footprint. . .
I commonly hear this on this site and others.

I grew up backpacking in the Pacific NW and I'm honestly not sure if I've spent more days backpacking in the rain on not in the rain. Actually, most of my backpacking days have probably been in the summer so, I have probably spent a few more days backpacking in dry weather than wet. BUT, I've never bothered to try and pitch my tent under my fly even though I now own two tents that allow me to do this. Admittedly, I prefer tarps and use them much more often and the issue is moot on those occasions.

But, the point of this post for me: How long does it take you to set up your tents and/or honestly how wet is the inner tent going to get in that minute it is on the ground uncovered. If it is dumping that hard, maybe you should wait five minutes and set it up after the squall calms down a bit? . . . one more reason to prefer a tarp! And, damp double-walled tent inners dry pretty fast once they are under cover, so I just don't get the upside of the added hassle of pitching the fly first.

Astro
02-03-2016, 18:24
Used a footprint for the fly creek. No regrets.

Same here.

tf bear
02-03-2016, 20:44
foot print Fly creek, No regrets either. Very multi purpose, the added extra weight if you want to call it that is not that substantial. I always use it under my air mattress in a shelter to protect and stake my claim to my space (if need be). Makes a quick tarp in a pinch. Keeps the tent cleaner and dryer if not using one. Oh and when trying to find a flat sight. I lay the footprint out and lay on that to see if it is truly a flat and acceptable location.