PDA

View Full Version : Best alcohol stove for the pot?

sethd513
02-01-2016, 21:58
What's the best alcohol stove you've found for the size pot you are using and what's the set up???

I'm asking as I'd like to upgrade my 550ml pot and red bull stove to possibly a 750ml but unsure of which stove to use. Reasons being I can get a full meal and tea/coffee out of one burn and it will be more useful with my pocket rocket if I chose to use that stove instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wise Old Owl
02-01-2016, 22:34
Well give it some thought... you know that a wide bottom heater with a wide bottom direct stove will transfer the most heat to the bottom of the pot. Hense side burning alch stoves can leave a cold spot in the middle as the pot rests on the stove itself. So eliminate them A good stove will have a pot support and direct heating to the center of the pot. If there is too much wind on the trail and you don't have a break you may use too much fuel.

Other than that feel free to experiment.

Slo-go'en
02-01-2016, 22:40
Caldera cone system from anti-gravity gear. The cone gives great stability to the pot and exceptional efficiency for the stove, along with providing the wind screen. Plus it's very, very light.

The cone has to be matched to the pot, I use a 750 ml MSR ti pot.

Mr. Sparky
02-01-2016, 22:47
Just my two cents: hard to beat the Trangia spirit stove. Many say it is the best in alcohol stoves. There are several good options for stands and wind shields such as the clikstand (note there is NOT a "ck" in clikstand).

HDLV
02-01-2016, 22:47
I second the Caldera Cone but I believe it is from Trail Designs, not anti-gravity gear.

I a a big fan of the ti-tri version that also works as a wood burning stove.

MuddyWaters
02-02-2016, 01:13
Small tealight cup with height extended with Al tape, and a bent piece of metal in it to increase heat feedback and speed vaporization rate.

HDLV
02-02-2016, 07:34
I second the Caldera Cone but I believe it is from Trail Designs, not anti-gravity gear.

I a a big fan of the ti-tri version that also works as a wood burning stove.

Oh yeah, to answer you actual question I like the Evernew .9l pot with the wide bottom.

swisscross
02-02-2016, 10:31
Although I am fully capable of making my a alcohol stove...went to a few different places to find supplies needed to make Zelph's Fancy Feast stove and would have spent 5 times what I spent buying his.
I also like buying from folks like Zelph and QiWiz.

My current set up is
Zelph's FF
QiWiz ti windscreen
Titan Kettle

The combo works well together although I think a slightly wider base pot would be a little more efficient.

Zelph says he can bring 2 cups of water to boil with 3/4 oz but with my set up it takes me an ounce of fuel.

cmoulder
02-02-2016, 11:21
For my alcohol cook (boil, actually:)) setup, I like to use the Open Country 3-cup pot with a Zelph Starlyte (the one with the built-in pot support), a Ti windscreen (cut to fit from .005" Ti foil from Ti Goat) and an MSR LiteLift pot lifter. The OC pot has no handles — hence the LiteLifter — but I prefer anyway this because I find that handles get too hot. With this setup I can usually boil 3 cups with about 25ml of Kleen Strip denatured alcohol.

Puddlefish
02-02-2016, 11:42
When I switched from a wider pot to a 750 ml Evernew pasta pot, I was no longer able to use my featherfire stove. The flame pattern was perfect, but the wire stand barely/dangerously caught the edges of the pot.

I switched to the Zelph FF stove. Comes with a measuring cup, can control the burn time fairly easily by measuring, so you're not wasting fuel, or burning off extra fuel in a giant tower of flame. The flame just comes nicely to the edge of the pot. It doesn't shoot flames out sideways and present a huge fire hazard like the homemade FF stove does.

It did take a bit more than the 3/4 oz of fuel to boil two cups of water, but I have really cold water coming out of the tap.

jimandlisas
02-02-2016, 12:10
In my experience a small tea kettle (.75 ml to 1L) works best with all stove combinations if you are only boiling water to rehydrate your food or make coffee, etc. They boil faster and are easier to pour. You can usually fit a small stove, lighter and windscreen inside also. Much easier than a pot and more efficient.

Puddlefish
02-02-2016, 12:26
In my experience a small tea kettle (.75 ml to 1L) works best with all stove combinations if you are only boiling water to rehydrate your food or make coffee, etc. They boil faster and are easier to pour. You can usually fit a small stove, lighter and windscreen inside also. Much easier than a pot and more efficient.

I started with a tea kettle (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00V65XX0C?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00), it was great, cheap, efficient and fairly light weight ... other than packability. It didn't fit well with my chosen windscreen, cozy and the larger stove I had, and it had a sharp edge at the spout. I certainly could have changed my windscreen and stove to accommodate it, just decided to go in another direction.

Casey & Gina
02-02-2016, 15:30
We use a Toaks Siphon Alcohol stove, which produces a fairly small circle of flame. We use a Toaks 450ml cup (80mm diameter), a Toaks 1100ml pot (115mm diameter), and a Toaks 1600ml pot (145mm diameter). The stove works great with all of them, however the 1600ml pot captures the most heat. Even with the small flame size, excess heat always travels across the entire bottom of the pot before heading upwards, so the bigger the bottom, the more efficient the heat capture. I can boil up water for tea in the cup, but it is faster to boil it in one of the pots then transfer it. Since there are two of us sharing everything, usually for tea I boil about 800ml of water in the 1100ml pot, then pour half of it into the cup - the other of us drinks drinks tea out of the remaining water in the pot.

I would recommend seeking out flatter and wider pots rather than taller and narrower ones. For instance, Toaks makes a 900ml pot with a 130mm diameter. Although it is smaller capacity than our 1100ml pot, it would capture heat more efficiently. At the 145mm diameter, they have a 1350ml pot. There happens to be a Massdrop right now for both of these pots which nest together nicely along with a 145mm diameter pan which works as a lid (smaller pans than 145mm are not so useful IMHO), with 6 days left to get in on the deal in case you're interested: https://www.massdrop.com/buy/toaks-titanium-900ml-and-1350ml-pot-set We own lots of Toaks gear and love it all.

Those seem like they are probably too big for what you're considering though. Toaks also makes a 700ml pot with a 115mm diameter: http://toaksoutdoor.com/titanium700mlpot.aspx

QiWiz
02-02-2016, 16:43
I think the most efficient combo is a wide-bottom pot supported by a light pot stand above an alcohol burner, surrounded by a good windscreen. Caldera Cone screens/stands are hard to beat for efficiency but are mated to a particular pot, so you can't easily switch to smaller or larger pots. There are lots of good burners out there from DIY to $$$. If you are trying to economize but don't want to DIY your own setup, you could try my Aluminum Complete Kit.

Odd Man Out
02-02-2016, 19:48
I use an eCHS stove with a Olicamp XTS pot. The pot stand is a cylinder of AL flashing that doubles as the wind screen. The pot has a heat exchanger to maximize power and efficiency. This combo gives boil times that are close to canister stoves with efficiencies close to a Caldera Cone. Not UL however.

rocketsocks
02-03-2016, 14:10
Best alcohol stove for the pot?

We use to call on the "Isomizer" to do the job, worked great, tasted like crap.

Casey & Gina
02-03-2016, 14:26
Best alcohol stove for the pot?

We use to call on the "Isomizer" to do the job, worked great, tasted like crap.

Hahaha, I had to Google that, funny!

I use part of my Toaks wood stove as the pot stand and wind screen, with the alcohol stove sitting a little bit elevated in the middle on a rock:

I tried with and without cross bars (http://toaksoutdoor.com/toaksstovecrossbar.aspx) and both ways work. Not sure which is more efficient but I ended up using the cross bars, which create an additional air gap between the sides of the stand and the pot.