PDA

View Full Version : Section Hike

PoppaZ
12-16-2005, 09:32
I've done a bit of hiking up in the Northeast on the AT, mostly in NH.

I live in southern CT, outside of New York. I'd like to do a decent sized section hike this summer (somewhere between 100-200 miles) in a more southern part of the trail. Anyone have any tips for a good stretch of trail? I've never hiked on the southern part of the East coast and would like to give it a try.

Thanks

Z

Kerosene
12-16-2005, 09:45
I would seriously consider the section from Damascus north to Roanoke, which would cover Mount Rogers and Grayson Highlands in the south, and Tinker Cliffs, McAfee Knob, and Dragons Tooth in the north. Unfortunately that stretch is a little over 200 miles, but you can do a lot more mileage in a day on this stretch of trail than you can in NH. Note that I haven't done NC/TN yet.

txulrich
12-16-2005, 10:02
You might also look into Shenandoah. You can add some to the front or back to lengthen as you need.

The Solemates
12-16-2005, 10:17
you arent gonna go wrong with anything south of SNP. its all beautiful.

Cookerhiker
12-16-2005, 15:28
I've done a bit of hiking up in the Northeast on the AT, mostly in NH.

I live in southern CT, outside of New York. I'd like to do a decent sized section hike this summer (somewhere between 100-200 miles) in a more southern part of the trail. Anyone have any tips for a good stretch of trail? I've never hiked on the southern part of the East coast and would like to give it a try.

Thanks

Z

Does it have to be summer? I'd recommend hiking the first few weeks of May to take advantage of the wildflowers (trillium, spring beauties, fringed phacelia to name a few). Suggestions:

Franklin (Rt. 64) to Hot Springs - 164 miles - this takes you through the Smokies
Hot Springs to Hampton (147 miles) or Damascus (179 miles) - this takes you over Big Bald, Beauty Spot, Unaka, and Roan Mountain - wonderful views and gorgeous flowers.
Damascus to Pearisburg - 162 miles - this takes you over Mt. Rogers, Grayson Highlands, and Chestnut Knob
James River to Rt. 522/Front Royal - 184 miles - takes you over The Priest and through Shenandoah NP. The proximity of the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive lets you adjust your mileage.

I guess the advantage of late spring or early summer would be blooming laurel and rhododendron but I'd still recommend May if you can. I agree with The Solemates - it's all rewarding.