PDA

View Full Version : PCT Section, early April....

colorado_rob
02-02-2016, 10:56
OK, so I'm the crapiest forum searcher in existence, can't seem to find a thread that addresses this:

I'm now seriously considering sectioning the PCT, starting this year. SO, I'd like to start at the southern end and hike NOBO this April, or even late March. I have a firm commitment elsewhere in mid-May, so I just have a bit over a month, maybe I can make 400-500 miles.

Are there any serious issues with an April 1 (or so) start, only planning on 400-500 miles? I'd be ahead of the thru-pack, it seems, as this is too early for them because of snow considerations later on the trail. But with only doing 400-500 miles, I don't see any show stoppers. Am I wrong? I do realize that water is always an issue, perhaps this is too early for some caches to be stocked?

The trail briefly touches 9K or so altitude a couple times in the 1st 500. Seems like with a bit of extra gear (micro spikes and UL ice axe, perhaps) this would be doable, if needed for a heavy snow year (which this one could be).

Any opinions from PCT veterans? thanks in advance.

Miner
02-02-2016, 11:08
Even in a normal snow year, starting that early means you'll have snow issues by San Jacinto ( by Idyllwild) which does go over 9k ft. The biggest issue being along fuller ridge which is steep terrain., though you can road walk around the worst of it and rejoin the PCT at Black Mtn road. You'll also will have issues near Mt. Baden Powell (also over 9k) just after Wrightwood. You can road walk around it on Hwy 2. While you may encounter snow near Big Bear, the trail isn't usually on steep for terrain, so its not as dangerous.

So while starting that early is doable, just be aware you may have to do some road walking if the snow is bad.

Coffee
02-02-2016, 11:11
I hiked the first 1/3 of the PCT starting at the border last year in mid April which was a low snow year and the first year that quotas for PCTA long distance permits was in effect. There were no snow issues on San Jacinto, Fuller Ridge or Baden-Powell. I did not feel like the trail was overcrowded either. I don't believe that 50 people per day were really starting each day. Southern California was a great experience - much better than I anticipated. I think that April is probably a great time to start northbound if you can get a permit. Many days in APril filled up immediately yesterday when they opened the system but another 15/day will be available later this month.

colorado_rob
02-02-2016, 11:24
I hiked the first 1/3 of the PCT starting at the border last year in mid April which was a low snow year and the first year that quotas for PCTA long distance permits was in effect. There were no snow issues on San Jacinto, Fuller Ridge or Baden-Powell. I did not feel like the trail was overcrowded either. I don't believe that 50 people per day were really starting each day. Southern California was a great experience - much better than I anticipated. I think that April is probably a great time to start northbound if you can get a permit. Many days in APril filled up immediately yesterday when they opened the system but another 15/day will be available later this month.thanks, your post lit a fire and I just acquired a Mach 30 start date permit, sure enough, even early april was booked solid with 35/35.

Even in a normal snow year, starting that early means you'll have snow issues by San Jacinto ( by Idyllwild) which does go over 9k ft. The biggest issue being along fuller ridge which is steep terrain., though you can road walk around the worst of it and rejoin the PCT at Black Mtn road. You'll also will have issues near Mt. Baden Powell (also over 9k) just after Wrightwood. You can road walk around it on Hwy 2. While you may encounter snow near Big Bear, the trail isn't usually on steep for terrain, so its not as dangerous.

So while starting that early is doable, just be aware you may have to do some road walking if the snow is bad.Plenty of research to do, but with the proper equipment (crampons, ice axe) and skills (I am a semi-serious mountaineer), I might assume these high areas are navigable in the snow? If not, yeah, I can road walk with the best of them....

Thanks for the quick info you two.

burger
02-02-2016, 11:26
I hiked the first 1/3 of the PCT starting at the border last year in mid April which was a low snow year and the first year that quotas for PCTA long distance permits was in effect. There were no snow issues on San Jacinto, Fuller Ridge or Baden-Powell. I did not feel like the trail was overcrowded either. I don't believe that 50 people per day were really starting each day. Southern California was a great experience - much better than I anticipated. I think that April is probably a great time to start northbound if you can get a permit. Many days in APril filled up immediately yesterday when they opened the system but another 15/day will be available later this month.

Last year was a record-low snow year for California. This year, the snowpack is well above average, and winter is far from over. I think that the experience of hikers in 2015 is not applicable to this year. I would look at some trail journals for 2011 if you want to see what hiking soCal is like in a big snow year.

Coffee
02-02-2016, 11:30
Last year was a record-low snow year for California. This year, the snowpack is well above average, and winter is far from over. I think that the experience of hikers in 2015 is not applicable to this year. I would look at some trail journals for 2011 if you want to see what hiking soCal is like in a big snow year.

I have been using this page to follow snow in California but it only covers the Sierra:

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cdecapp/snowapp/sweq.action

I don't get the impression that it is a far above average year so far but obviously way more than 2015.

colorado_rob
02-02-2016, 11:45
I don't get the impression that it is a far above average year so far but obviously way more than 2015. Yeah, so far so good actually, they sure need the water. I really don't mind snow travel/climbing/navigating, this actually is starting to sound pretty cool. My aluminum crampons weight 15 ounces, and my Camp ice axe, 9 ounces. If snowshoes required though.... I'll look at those road detours....

Great tip on looking at 2011 journals, Burger, I will do just that.