PDA

View Full Version : First pass at gear list

dervari
02-02-2016, 14:13
Looking to do 3-4 days from Springer to Neel Gap or or Tesnatee Gap in early May and would like some critique on my first pass on the gear list. Some points to remember...

Not a "gram weenie"
Shooting for 10-11 miles per day. Easy pace.
Will most likely be wearing the same clothes the whole trip except for changing underwear and base (if applicable) on day 3 AM.
Generic clothing will include a light rain shell and extra pair of socks/underwear/base

This is my first attempt, so please be gentle. :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8m7aiqugngnffyd/Gear%20List.pdf?dl=0

patman25
02-02-2016, 14:26
Things I would change:

Smaller pack 45-55L
Smaller tent, 3P seems like massive overkill unless you have two other people you didn't mention.
Lose the GPS
Sawyer Squeeze instead of MSR filter(added bonus of using sawyer bags for extra water capacity vs Water bottle #2)
Lose second flashlight(you have a phone for emergency backup)

Puddlefish
02-02-2016, 14:34
Looks like everything you listed is serviceable, if heavy. Maybe bring along a trash bag for extra waterproofing/rain protection.

dervari
02-02-2016, 14:43
There will be one other person with me...forgot to mention that.

DuneElliot
02-02-2016, 16:28
Things I would change:

Smaller pack 45-55L
Smaller tent, 3P seems like massive overkill unless you have two other people you didn't mention.
Lose the GPS
Sawyer Squeeze instead of MSR filter(added bonus of using sawyer bags for extra water capacity vs Water bottle #2)
Lose second flashlight(you have a phone for emergency backup)

+1 with this assessment

4eyedbuzzard
02-02-2016, 17:22
It's a heavier set up than you will likely want long term if you're a frequent hiker, but right now you're only going for 4 days. To lose significant weight - like 8 to 10 lbs - you would likely have to change most of what you listed. You'd be looking at shedding approx. 2 lbs on the pack, 1 1/2lbs on the sleeping bag, 1lb on the tent, 1/2 lb on the sleep pad, lighter water bottles, etc., etc. That would be silly just to go on a 4 day hike or section hike occasionally unless you are serious about hiking frequently and/or have a lot of money to spare. And the best teacher of what you want will be experience. You'll be just fine with what you have. And don't sweat the tent too much. Most 3 man tents are really 2 man tents, most 2 man tents are really 1 1/2 man, or very friendly hiker tents. 20 years ago your stuff would have been considered reasonably light. Have a great hike!

dervari
02-02-2016, 18:51
It's a heavier set up than you will likely want long term if you're a frequent hiker, but right now you're only going for 4 days.

Right now we're looking at doing a week, max. Starting off with 4-5 day hikes and working up from there. The 3-man is going to be for 2 people and any gear we can fit in. All of the high dollar stuff was bought used or at a SIGNIFICANT discount. (Pack $150, Bag $130, Tent $250)

The main reason I'm using that bag for now is that I'm in the process of losing weight (Down 75 lbs in the past year), and that particular bag is 73" in circumference and very comfortable. When I'm closer to my goal weight I plan on re-evaluating and perhaps going with a quilt.

4eyedbuzzard
02-02-2016, 19:12
Right now we're looking at doing a week, max. Starting off with 4-5 day hikes and working up from there. The 3-man is going to be for 2 people and any gear we can fit in. All of the high dollar stuff was bought used or at a SIGNIFICANT discount. (Pack $150, Bag $130, Tent $250)

The main reason I'm using that bag for now is that I'm in the process of losing weight (Down 75 lbs in the past year), and that particular bag is 73" in circumference and very comfortable. When I'm closer to my goal weight I plan on re-evaluating and perhaps going with a quilt.Sounds like you have a good long term plan. I bought a lot of my gear which is fairly high end, either lightly used or on closeout (last years latest and greatest so to speak). You'll whittle down your gear with choices made by experience and a little research, and some trial and error. You'll also very likely find that you'll initially bring things that you don't use or just don't really need - GPS is generally not needed on AT, crocs are a maybe/maybe not, stuff sack can double as pillow, PLB is also a "do I really need this" item on heavily travelled trails). That is a big bag, BTW. I've got a WM with a 64" girth and it is pretty big by most standards. But if you're a large person, you will probably want/need more room in a bag and tent than some smaller framed people anyway. Larger peoples clothing weighs a bit more as well. And more food will also weigh a bit more (even if losing weight, heavier people move a lot more mass up and down and sideways and burn a lot more calories).

Uncle Joe
02-02-2016, 19:18
I'd +1 on the GPS. On the AT it's really unnecessary. Get Guthook's AT Guide for Android. All the GPS you'll need.

PackHorse
02-03-2016, 07:44
Congratulations on the weight loss. Way to go!!

dervari
02-03-2016, 21:26
But if you're a large person, you will probably want/need more room in a bag and tent than some smaller framed people anyway. Larger peoples clothing weighs a bit more as well. And more food will also weigh a bit more (even if losing weight, heavier people move a lot more mass up and down and sideways and burn a lot more calories).

Started off doing the Stone Mountain hike up trail in 45 minutes and numerous rest stops. My PR now is 22 minutes, and 26 minutes with a 25lb pack. Definitely know about moving lots of mass around. Lol. [emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk