PDA

View Full Version : Explain Approach Trail

Boo-Yah
02-02-2016, 20:57
I am little confused, is approach trail officially part of AT, how long is it? Where does it start compared to where AT starts? What kind of hike is the approach trail, I am figuring straight up as with most starting points?

Where is best play to stay if you want to do it? Where if you want to skip it? Where do you come in at if skipping it?

Driving down night before for early morning start, suggestions for hotel or cabin to rent?

Thanks for any and all answers

Hikes in Rain
02-02-2016, 21:20
Used to be (at least most of it), but no more. And it's about 8 miles. Stay at the lodge, it's almost right on the approach trail. It's up, yes, but not all that steep. A lot of thru hikers start at the arch at the base, but it's not required.

Poedog
02-02-2016, 21:24
Most of your questions answered HERE (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-67400.html)

rafe
02-02-2016, 21:28
There's a forest road that intersects the trail about a mile north of its official terminus. Many hikers start by hiking south to that point, then turn around and begin their "official" thru hike.

The approach trail starts at Amicalola Falls State Park, about eight miles south of Springer summit. It starts out pretty steep, up the face of the falls. (Very scenic, I'm told.) The next six or seven miles are pretty mellow, save perhaps for the final climb up Springer.

One option that I haven't heard often discussed: there's a campground in the state park just above the falls. I ended up getting a ride there, kinda by accident. I stayed there my first night and hiked on to Springer the next day.

Lone Wolf
02-02-2016, 21:30
I am little confused, is approach trail officially part of AT, how long is it? Where does it start compared to where AT starts? What kind of hike is the approach trail, I am figuring straight up as with most starting points?

Where is best play to stay if you want to do it? Where if you want to skip it? Where do you come in at if skipping it?

Driving down night before for early morning start, suggestions for hotel or cabin to rent?

no. the approach is an 8+ mile trail to access the start of the AT. it's all uphill.there are cabins, a lodge and camping at amicalola state park where the approach trail starts

Poedog
02-02-2016, 21:33
Most of your questions answered HERE (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-67400.html)

I lied, check here (http://www.atlantatrails.com/hiking-trails/at-approach-trail-hiking-amicalola-falls-to-springer-mountain/)

MuddyWaters
02-02-2016, 21:34

No, its not part of AT. Although some parts were part of the original trail from Mt. Oglethorpe, much of it isnt even though it follows same general routing.
Its not that hard, any 8 mile uphill you can average 1.5+ mph on isnt.
The falls at amicalola are a highlight of GA, and worth seeing.
Its worth doing, just because its there IMO, and to see the falls.

Some feel that starting the trail with an 8 mile uphill and 600 stair steps is too daunting and will lead to higher dropouts.

ChefATLTCT
02-02-2016, 21:51
I have done it twice , once staying at the campground, which had hot shower in March and once I stayed at lodge

Boo-Yah
02-02-2016, 22:13
still little confused, so if I don't want to do approach, what is best way to skip it. Where do we park or shuttle into to get to AT starting point?

Slo-go'en
02-02-2016, 22:17
I always have to wonder when some one asks a very basic question like this which is very easy to research what other important pieces of information are they not aware of? Do you not yet have an AT guide book where this is covered in the first couple of pages?

If you want to skip the approach trail you must drive up the side of the mountain on a Forest service road (FS42). Although a small car can make the trip (if you go the right way), it would be recommended to have AWD. It can be a pretty rough gravel road to bounce along on at 5 mph. It's not easy to find either so you have to know exactly the way to go before hand. Make a wrong turn and your done for.

There are two ends to FS42 which can be accessed from the paved road. You want the west end. The east end is little more then a single track cow path with a cliff 6" from your left tire in places and rocks which can take out your oil pan. If for some reason you meet someone coming the other way, someone is going to have to back up for a mile and try not to drive off the cliff. How do I know this? I accidentally went that way once. The only reason we made it was my friends car (which I was driving) was a AWD Subaru along with a lot of praying mixed with in a lot of swearing. My buddy was white as a ghost on that climb and there are still dents in the dash board from his gripping it so hard.

Uncle Joe
02-02-2016, 22:22
still little confused, so if I don't want to do approach, what is best way to skip it. Where do we park or shuttle into to get to AT starting point?

Simply go to the Springer Mtn parking lot and follow the trail South for .9mi to the summit of Springer Mtn. Then turn around, hike back to the parking lot, then thru it, to continue your AT hike North.

rafe
02-02-2016, 22:25

I think it's USFS Rte. 42. Off the toppa my head. There's a hostel in that neighborhood. If the road has access, they might shuttle you to the trailhead. Lotta folks go that route, so I hear. You don't park there. It's not that kind of trailhead. It's a rough road.

rafe
02-02-2016, 22:26
Ack. There's a parking lot there? :eek:

Slo-go'en
02-02-2016, 22:34
Ack. There's a parking lot there? :eek:

Yes, a good sized one actually. Last time I was there, there were two cars which looked abandoned, broken windows and flat tires.

rafe
02-02-2016, 22:44
Ignore anything I might have said about the FS 42 option. It's not the option I chose, not sure if it even was an option back then.

All's I know is lots of folks seem to use it and know about it. Everyone but me. :rolleyes:

Boo-Yah
02-02-2016, 23:05
I always have to wonder when some one asks a very basic question like this which is very easy to research what other important pieces of information are they not aware of? Do you not yet have an AT guide book where this is covered in the first couple of pages?

If you want to skip the approach trail you must drive up the side of the mountain on a Forest service road (FS42). Although a small car can make the trip (if you go the right way), it would be recommended to have AWD. It can be a pretty rough gravel road to bounce along on at 5 mph. It's not easy to find either so you have to know exactly the way to go before hand. Make a wrong turn and your done for.

There are two ends to FS42 which can be accessed from the paved road. You want the west end. The east end is little more then a single track cow path with a cliff 6" from your left tire in places and rocks which can take out your oil pan. If for some reason you meet someone coming the other way, someone is going to have to back up for a mile and try not to drive off the cliff. How do I know this? I accidentally went that way once. The only reason we made it was my friends car (which I was driving) was a AWD Subaru along with a lot of praying mixed with in a lot of swearing. My buddy was white as a ghost on that climb and there are still dents in the dash board from his gripping it so hard.

I ask this question because I would rather have someone's personal account (that is what forums are for....imo) rather than try to decipher it out of AT book and be wrong. It's always amazes me how much tidbit info I can get from things like this rather than reading a book. If readers are inconvenienced or put off by such trivial questions, I would think they should just ignore rather than condescend.

smokey mtn hiker
02-02-2016, 23:06
hike the access trail and see the stuff people throw out on their way.

Slo-go'en
02-02-2016, 23:15
Ignore anything I might have said about the FS 42 option. It's not the option I chose, not sure if it even was an option back then.

All's I know is lots of folks seem to use it and know about it. Everyone but me. :rolleyes:

It's a pretty popular option for people doing a short section hike and willing to go out and back from the lot or for those staying at the hiker hostel as they will shuttle you there, or have a friend who will drop you off like I did.

Driving up to the parking lot was a good option for my friend who had not done any hiking in years and was very out of shape, but wanted to spend a night on the AT with me. As it was, he barely made the .9 miles to Springer Mt shelter. Taking the insane route up FS42 just added to the adventure :)

Slo-go'en
02-02-2016, 23:22
I ask this question because I would rather have someone's personal account (that is what forums are for....imo) rather than try to decipher it out of AT book and be wrong. It's always amazes me how much tidbit info I can get from things like this rather than reading a book. If readers are inconvenienced or put off by such trivial questions, I would think they should just ignore rather than condescend.

Sorry, I apologize for sounding condescending. The wording of your question make it sound like you didn't even have basic information. At least I then went on to explain in some detail :)

rafe
02-02-2016, 23:22

Since you're new here... I'll mention that the topic of the approach trail vs. the forest road comes up a lot. And to ask whether to hike it or not might just be seen as (or taken as) flame bait. There's no right or wrong answer.

In Slo's defense, not that he needs it: the logistics of getting to Springer summit are discussed in much of the literature, going back since... forever. Your opening post seemed to suggest you'd not done your homework.

xrayextra
02-03-2016, 00:54
If you don't have your mountain legs yet, skip it.

Christoph
02-03-2016, 01:16
I'm glad I did it on my attempt. And I will do it again on the next. Even though it isn't an official "start", so to speak, that's how I wanted my hike to begin. Just being under that arch was long (20 plus years) of hopeful planning. Amazing that a few stones and piece of wood had that much impact on me. The falls were pretty amazing, even in the tornado warning spewing out golf ball sized hail last April 19th. Haha Anyway, I don't know if this helps or not, but getting dropped off at Amacolola Falls was a great start for me. It's around 8.8 miles and 604 steps straight up the falls. Great photo op.

rafe
02-03-2016, 01:22
FWIW, if you take the approach trail and start early enough, you may well consider staying at Stover Creek shelter that evening, it's only a few miles north of Springer.

illabelle
02-03-2016, 07:08
We used the forest service parking lot (with no negative consequences) once for a short out-and-back weekend.
When we did the Springer to Neels Gap section, we were shuttled to the parking lot and dropped off.
I somewhat regret not having done the approach trail at the time, just because everyone says it's a beautiful hike. It's a long way to drive for an 8-mile dayhike. Maybe we will one day...

ChefATLTCT
02-03-2016, 07:57
No joke in 2000 I was on the trail beyond the lodge for maybe ten minutes and found a complete pack just sitting the trail. no one around.

Lone Wolf
02-03-2016, 07:58
No joke in 2000 I was on the trail beyond the lodge for maybe ten minutes and found a complete pack just sitting the trail. no one around.

it was mine. i was in the woods droppin' a deuce

JaketheFake
02-03-2016, 09:40
it was mine. i was in the woods droppin' a deuce

see.... Ya should of just taken care of business on the trail like everyone else (or so the Hawk Mountain Shelter Thread might have you believe).

mountain squid
02-03-2016, 10:06
still little confused, so if I don't want to do approach, what is best way to skip it. Where do we park or shuttle into to get to AT starting point?Here's a video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSeFhtq2ais) of how to get to FS42 from Amicalola Falls SP using the 'preferred route'. Expand replies for driving directions. There's a few more videos showing general condition of the road and the parking area.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSeFhtq2ais

See you on the trail,
mt squid

(http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100363-2014-Norovirus-Awareness)some observations (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?14493-observations-from-fs42-(advice-for-first-week-on-trail)&highlight=)
how to hike (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?73587-how-to-hike)

Boo-Yah
02-03-2016, 10:30
no, I have read online stuff, I have Awol's guide, I have maps, I just wanted opinions? And see if people considered that a legit part of AT if we wanted to count that as part of a thru hike. I am a section hiker anyway, but wanted some opinions that can't be found in a book. Maybe I should of sifted through the search engine more. From what I have seen there are a lot of repetitive questions and answers on this forum, put mine in that long list.

Thank you

Boo-Yah
02-03-2016, 10:34
Since you're new here... I'll mention that the topic of the approach trail vs. the forest road comes up a lot. And to ask whether to hike it or not might just be seen as (or taken as) flame bait. There's no right or wrong answer.

In Slo's defense, not that he needs it: the logistics of getting to Springer summit are discussed in much of the literature, going back since... forever. Your opening post seemed to suggest you'd not done your homework.

no, I have read online stuff, I have Awol's guide, I have maps, I just wanted opinions? And see if people considered that a legit part of AT if we wanted to count that as part of a thru hike. I am a section hiker anyway, but wanted some opinions that can't be found in a book. Maybe I should of sifted through the search engine more. From what I have seen there are a lot of repetitive questions and answers on this forum, put mine in that long list.

Thank you

BobTheBuilder
02-03-2016, 11:00
I am little confused, is approach trail officially part of AT, how long is it? It is 8.8 miles Where does it start compared to where AT starts? The approach trail starts at Amicalola State Park and ends at the top of Springer. The AT starts at the top of Springer where the approach trail ends. What kind of hike is the approach trail, I am figuring straight up as with most starting points? It is similar to a lot of the AT in Georgia, but mostly uphill. Well maintained trail, for the most part.

Where is best play to stay if you want to do it? There are options inside the park, but I don't have any personal experience in this area. If you are planning to stop for the day at the top of Springer, you could stay outside of the park the night before, drive to the park and still make the hike in one day. Where if you want to skip it? I stayed at the Hiker Hostel in Dahlonega several years back, but they are still extremely popular for a launching spot. Nice place, nice people, breakfast in the morning and a shuttle ride to the FS 42 parking lot. You hike south 0.9 miles on the AT to the top of Springer, sign the book, then turn around and head north, retracing your path to parking lot, then heading north on new trail. Where do you come in at if skipping it? Whoops - answered above.

Driving down night before for early morning start, suggestions for hotel or cabin to rent? The Hike Hostel in Dahlonega - Josh and Leigh are former thru hikers and have launched a million hikers on their way. Well, not a million, they're still pretty young, but a lot of people start their hikes there.

Also, with apologies because I am OCD, you're quote is not quite correct. The actual lyric is "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

Boo-Yah
02-03-2016, 13:08
Also, with apologies because I am OCD, you're quote is not quite correct. The actual lyric is "I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

thanks and thanks

George
02-03-2016, 14:51

Thank you

OK, my opinion - do the approach, easier drive/ drop off (the experience is supposed to be about walking not driving)
go by / sign in at the visitor center - weigh your pack - peruse the sign in book for other hikers you will be meeting up with - see the falls - enjoy

Pedaling Fool
02-03-2016, 15:13
What kind of hike is the approach trail...?It's exactly the same kind of hiking as on the AT, there's only two major differences: 1) On the Approach Trail you get to walk by the largest water fall in Georgia -- Amicalola Falls, which makes it worth it to me; 2) the blazes are blue vs. white, period. That's the only difference in the kind of hike on the Approach Trail.

full conditions
02-03-2016, 18:06

Thank you
If you were an actual troll you'd have to be pretty disappointed with the lack of flame posts with regard to your point about whether the approach trail was, as you put it, a "legit part of a thru hike". Pasts threads should give you tons of entertainment and some useful information.

Cookerhiker
02-03-2016, 18:17
FWIW, if you take the approach trail and start early enough, you may well consider staying at Stover Creek shelter that evening, it's only a few miles north of Springer.

That's what I did in '04 when I section hiked all of Georgia. Surprisingly, there was plenty of room at Stover Creek Shelter.

Praha4
02-03-2016, 19:36
do the Approach Trail, it's a great hike and u see the waterfalls

drive down day before, get a room either at the AFSP lodge or the Super-8 motel in Dahlonega (about 20-30 min. drive to the park), there's a McDonalds right next to the Super-8

u can park your car long term at the AFSP visitor center parking lot