PDA

View Full Version : Section hike Virginia in 2016, in 9 or 10 day lengths.

ChuckDempsey
02-02-2016, 21:35
I'd like to hike from Damascus to Harpers Ferry in 2016, in three or four section hikes. I can start any time after mid-April, and I try to do 15-20 miles a day. Preliminary schedule is 1)Damascus-Pearisburg 164 miles 2)Pearisburg-Waynesboro 226 miles 3) Waynesboro-Harpers Ferry 161 miles. Looking for someone to share rides and 'keep an eye on', not necessarily hike together the whole way. I live in North Carolina.

Studlintsean
02-02-2016, 23:29
I'd like to hike from Damascus to Harpers Ferry in 2016, in three or four section hikes. I can start any time after mid-April, and I try to do 15-20 miles a day. Preliminary schedule is 1)Damascus-Pearisburg 164 miles 2)Pearisburg-Waynesboro 226 miles 3) Waynesboro-Harpers Ferry 161 miles. Looking for someone to share rides and 'keep an eye on', not necessarily hike together the whole way. I live in North Carolina.

If you don't mind, post here or PM me when you are doing the two southern sections. I work full-time and I am also a Graduate Student but I am hoping to get a decent (5 days or so) hike in in May between spring and summer break to prepare for an August trip out west.

ednotmilkman
02-03-2016, 00:59
Hi Chuck,

I lack everything NW of I-81, so I could try to join you although it wouldn't help with shuttle costs much if my end points would be different than yours. I want to do mine in 2 trips as I get homesick after 10 days. I have been able to go your pace, although recovering from back injury has my endurance low , but improving by April for sure. Could possibly go April 18-28. I have an uncle in Marion that can help me with trail shuttles. Could meet you at Aktins interstate Xing and see how far we get in 10 days. I don't mind going SOBO either unless I'm by myself, then it's easier to make friends going the same way.
Edwin

ChuckDempsey
02-03-2016, 07:23
Will do, Studlintsean. Thanks for the reply.

ChuckDempsey
02-03-2016, 07:40
Thanks for the reply, Ednotmilkman. This sounds promising. I'm flexible on the start/stop points, I just want to have transport waiting at the end of the trail. I'll be coming back from a SE Asia trip on April 6th, so your time frame would give me almost two weeks for recovery/training after that. I see you are in Alabama. Would you have your own car, or depend on your uncle for transport? I was thinking we meet at the 'trail-end', leave my car there and drive to the 'trail-head' to start. NOBO/SOBO doesn't matter to me, nor length of trail we attempt. Like you, I need to get back home before too long..... Contact me at [email protected] if you want to take this offline...

ednotmilkman
02-11-2016, 23:17
Chuck and I have agreed on a 10 day section starting Mon April 18 and ending Fri April 29. I am flying into TRI airport Johnson City/Kingsport TN, where Chuck will pick me up and we will continue in his vehicle to Marion, Va where we will start NOBO at the I-81 Atkins trail crossing. We plan to hike at least 15mi average and end up close to the Daleville/Troutville trail crossings where we can call Uber or 2 other AT shuttle people to take me to the ROA airport and Chuck to the bus station where he has 2 buses per day to get back to his car in Marion.

Anybody having hiking plans in that area at that time or parts of it, feel free to contact us.